Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2016 Players' Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-15-16 08:28AM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

After shaking my head at the stupidity of his comments i have finally put Manitoba Legend on ignore.......Jeez what took me so long.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-15-16 08:29AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Team Carey

Yes they blew this event.. it happens

Bigger question is why did it take all year for them to finally realize their weight control inter-team communication was so flawed?

This Team curls out of the same club as world champ Koe..
who seem to have found a valuable resource in Coach Dunn...
helping them with their Team Dynamics

04-15-16 08:37AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Sweeting- Paetz game on now...

GEEKING right now at

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/1065

Last edited by HotRocks on 04-15-16 at 08:48AM

04-15-16 09:19AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

no legal way to watch, it seems

After lots of searching last night, there does not appear to be any legal way for me in America to stream any of the Sportsnet coverage. And I'm not going to try an illegal one. Is it really that difficult to have an international option on a sport like this? It's as idiotic as the NHL still having no US national radio contract for the Stanley Cup.

04-15-16 09:40AM
acarbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for acarbs Click here to Send acarbs a Private Message Find more posts by acarbs Add acarbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
acarbs
Knee-Slider

Sweeting vs. Sidorova

Has anybody heard about the controversy during the Sweeting vs. Sidorova game regarding the new laser measuring technique?

04-15-16 09:43AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: Sweeting vs. Sidorova

quote:
Originally posted by acarbs
Has anybody heard about the controversy during the Sweeting vs. Sidorova game regarding the new laser measuring technique?

Laser measuring?

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-15-16 09:45AM
acarbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for acarbs Click here to Send acarbs a Private Message Find more posts by acarbs Add acarbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
acarbs
Knee-Slider

Re: Re: Sweeting vs. Sidorova

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

Laser measuring?

Yes, they don't use the stick. They have a laser that they use to point to the middle of the rock (after shifting it from left to right to find the "middle") then compare the numbers between the two rocks. Apparently Fomina didn't believe the laser and asked to bring out the stick, then after about 4 or 5 measures (using both the laser and stick) the call was reversed. This is what I've heard but I'm not sure if it's accurate.

04-15-16 09:54AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Sweeting vs. Sidorova

quote:

Yes, they don't use the stick. They have a laser that they use to point to the middle of the rock (after shifting it from left to right to find the "middle") then compare the numbers between the two rocks. Apparently Fomina didn't believe the laser and asked to bring out the stick, then after about 4 or 5 measures (using both the laser and stick) the call was reversed. This is what I've heard but I'm not sure if it's accurate.

I'm probably too traditional, but I always thought bringing out the stick was fun and in some cases suspenseful...especially when you could read the gauge. Strange as it sounds, it added to the excitement a little. The laser technique, seems quite detached and blah. It just does a bunch of estimated calibrations that you can't even see. If they are going to stick with the laser, they have to find a way of showing the readings to the fans as the measure happens.

04-15-16 09:54AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Sweeting vs. Sidorova

quote:

Interesting.

I'm curious to hear more about this system.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-15-16 09:58AM
acarbs
Knee-Slider

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sweeting vs. Sidorova

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end

I'm probably too traditional, but I always thought bringing out the stick was fun and in some cases suspenseful...especially when you could read the gauge. Strange as it sounds, it added to the excitement a little. The laser technique, seems quite detached and blah. It just does a bunch of estimated calibrations that you can't even see. If they are going to stick with the laser, they have to find a way of showing the readings to the fans as the measure happens.

I feel the exact same way!! Although I hate it when the official is leaning over the gauge and completely blocks our view. THINK ABOUT THE AUDIENCE!! Lol

04-15-16 10:13AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sweeting vs. Sidorova

quote:

I feel the exact same way!! Although I hate it when the official is leaning over the gauge and completely blocks our view. THINK ABOUT THE AUDIENCE!! Lol

Lol, agree. That is so easily avoided if the folks doing the measuring are trained how to do it for TV purposes. But that seems a little too complex for event organizers to coordinate lol. Not a major concern obviously (the sun will still rise if we can't see the gauge), but a 2-minute discussion would have consistency across the board with the gauge never blocked from the camera-man or woman.

04-15-16 10:36AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
That paint job is hurting my eyes!

The paint job is what I imagine the floor of a mens bathroom in a cheap bar would look like at closing time.

04-15-16 10:52AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Laser Measuring

Long overdue in this modern age

who needs those rattling old sticks anymore?

Whatever fine tuning the laser system needs its a huge advance
over a wobbly measuring device from the last century

04-15-16 11:00AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

It looked like Niklas Edin was having a very animated conversation with Pierre CHarette after the Edin/Howard game.. Perhaps something wasn't on the up and up in regards to how the Howard team went about the game sweeping/brush wise

04-15-16 11:08AM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

Re: Jocelyn Peterman

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks

Not to mention it was Chelsey Carey who wanted JP to keep on reassuring her by this comment....

and why didnt Carey get an Alberta sub at third??

How do you know Carey wanted trust it ad nauseum?

That wasn't my point, anyway. Carey has not curled well in spite of all the reassurances, so if I were the other three I would chalk it up to an experiment that didn't work and look for a more solid shooter to skip this team.

04-15-16 11:33AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

So just to clarify - Peterman passed on a chance to represent Canada at the Mixed Doubles worlds, so she could play this event which one of her other teammates was not attending? Huh?

04-15-16 11:39AM
nom_de_broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom_de_broom Click here to Send nom_de_broom a Private Message Find more posts by nom_de_broom Add nom_de_broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom_de_broom
Knee-Slider

Re: no legal way to watch, it seems

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
After lots of searching last night, there does not appear to be any legal way for me in America to stream any of the Sportsnet coverage. And I'm not going to try an illegal one. Is it really that difficult to have an international option on a sport like this? It's as idiotic as the NHL still having no US national radio contract for the Stanley Cup.

I'm in the US and purchased the Grand Slam of Curling Sportsnet package and it's worked all year for me. That's not a FREE legal option, but it's a legal option for you. I feel like it was good value for the money. The layout of the site is confusing, but, hey, I can watch the game live or replay them later, so I'm pretty happy.

Edit to add URL: https://watch.sportsnet.ca/gsoc/secure/registerform

04-15-16 11:47AM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
So just to clarify - Peterman passed on a chance to represent Canada at the Mixed Doubles worlds, so she could play this event which one of her other teammates was not attending? Huh?
That's right-actually the top three teams from the Canadian Championship skipped going to the worlds when offered the opportunity. Canada will get serious about this "olympic sport" two weeks before the Olympics actually start. Stoughton is having fun jet setting around having a good laugh at this joke called Mixed Doubles.

04-15-16 11:50AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I have a feeling that her partner in MD - Brett Gallant was not released by his skip Brad Gushue.

04-15-16 12:15PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

Final Mens Draw at 7:00 pm

is this draw only being streamed??? I cannot find it on my TV schedule !!!

04-15-16 12:57PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Final Mens Draw at 7:00 pm

quote:
Originally posted by kwojtalik

the schedule I have says Sportsnet one.

04-15-16 01:00PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

when promoting the womens draw at 4 they said sportsnet.ca. My sportsnet 1 at 7 pm has a Blue Jays game

04-15-16 01:06PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
when promoting the womens draw at 4 they said sportsnet.ca. My sportsnet 1 at 7 pm has a Blue Jays game

the tv listing say sportsnet.ca

04-15-16 01:15PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Final Mens Draw at 7:00 pm

quote:

Last round-robin draw will be streamed live (and free) here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/wat...s-championship/

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-15-16 01:22PM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by chinabar
That's right-actually the top three teams from the Canadian Championship skipped going to the worlds when offered the opportunity. Canada will get serious about this "olympic sport" two weeks before the Olympics actually start. Stoughton is having fun jet setting around having a good laugh at this joke called Mixed Doubles.

You are correct the top two teams skipped worlds. But, the Bronze Medalists were Kasner & Kalhtoff. They are who is in Sweden representing Canada.