Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-15-13 04:42PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Team USA at Women's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Time to start cheering for World Womens and the Brown-Tetley rink. I thing a good way to start out would be to read the newspaper article about their fifth:

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/...3924.txt#photo1>http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/...3924.txt#photo1

While mostly about the Anderson twins and Sarah's pending trip to Latvia, you can also get a feel for Erika's graciousness from her quotes.

At the risk of being repetitive, I really like this team's chances of bringing back medals to the USA...and gold is not out of the question. I like Canada, Switzerland, Scotland and America to make the playoffs.

Ben Tucker

Starting a separate thread for this because I can.

For those that have access to TSN, CAN v USA is on Monday around Noon ET. There will also be some games shown on the WCF channel on youtube for the USA. Go to the WCF website for the details.

GO USA!!!

JH
again, just a bad week to be traveling and away from the satellite dish.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-16-13 06:57PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

A really good start today. Italy allowed Erika and the team to get comfortable with the ice and then USA put the hammer down (without the hammer).

Canada not looking as strong as advertised. Lost to Scotland with the 2nd on Scotland shooting 20% on draws. All bright points for US to make the final.

JH
Doing my best DBZ USA! USA! USA! USA!

03-16-13 08:27PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jhcurl
[B]
Canada not looking as strong as advertised. Lost to Scotland with the 2nd on Scotland shooting 20% on draws. All bright points for US to make the final.

Dreaming in technicolor me thinks. Scottish second probably only threw 4 draws and Homan is way better than advertised.

03-16-13 10:40PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Ice looks tricky with a shade of brutality.

03-17-13 12:45AM
chubb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chubb Find more posts by chubb Add chubb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chubb
Harvey Hacksmasher

I spoke with Erika about the ice and it has been starting about 20 seconds for draws and breaking in from there. Once broken in short times have been about 3.65. Problem is if you need to make a draw down a path that is not fully broken in, it can make you look rather silly.
I am not sure who is doing the ice but I assume all these guys know what they are doing and making great arena ice has become more commonplace. I know Russ and Linda eluded to the rocks but IMO it is more likely the ice maker is running the ice temp a little too cold and we are not seeing great playing conditions yet. Only time will tell.
Cheers
Tet

03-17-13 01:31AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
A really good start today. Italy allowed Erika and the team to get comfortable with the ice and then USA put the hammer down (without the hammer).

JH
Doing my best DBZ USA! USA! USA! USA!

Sounds like you don't follow Curling very carefully. Canada won 30 games in a row in qualifying; 8-10 of those teams were as strong if not stronger then most of this field.

If you base a game against Italy to get pumped up, prepare for potential disappointment. I don't follow the US team closely but surely they'd have won a big tour event to justify your strong opinion about their chances ? Homan was winning some cash events on the women's tour when she was a junior. I truly don't remember Brown winning anything big before, but maybe I'm biased because some of the ex-pats that I knew here moved to the US and won national titles ( eg Lank and McCormick and they were never close in Canada to even a provincial title ). So its kind of a show me thing when any new US team is touted.

03-17-13 09:57AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

JHcurl doesn't follow curling closely??? Dude, you've gotta be kidding me.

New USA team? Dude, you gotta be kidding me.

JH may be a hopeless homer and an unabashed cheerleader, but you'll be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable curler nor a fan that follows the sport closer.

Tight loss today to a German team that they should beat. I think they should bench Erika and bring in Young Anderson (just kidding).

Chubb, thanks for the inside information on the ice. I really appreciate it. Tell the gals that we are really cheering for them and that they have a ton of support from back home.

Ben Tucker
The only thing Chubb knows about curling is how to marry well

03-17-13 10:24AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Sounds like you don't follow Curling very carefully. Canada won 30 games in a row in qualifying; 8-10 of those teams were as strong if not stronger then most of this field.

If you base a game against Italy to get pumped up, prepare for potential disappointment. I don't follow the US team closely but surely they'd have won a big tour event to justify your strong opinion about their chances ? Homan was winning some cash events on the women's tour when she was a junior. I truly don't remember Brown winning anything big before, but maybe I'm biased because some of the ex-pats that I knew here moved to the US and won national titles ( eg Lank and McCormick and they were never close in Canada to even a provincial title ). So its kind of a show me thing when any new US team is touted.

Erika has been around for years!!!! Perhaps you are catching some of ML's foot in mouth problem.

03-17-13 02:29PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Watching the streaming and they are showing the occasional US throw from Erika. Noticing a similar bit of "shakiness" in Erika's delivery. Is she injured, new shoes, other??? Just does not seem to have that same rock solid slide that has been there in the past.

JH
just askin', not implying anything

03-17-13 03:33PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Sounds like you don't follow Curling very carefully.
...some of the ex-pats that I knew here moved to the US and won national titles ( eg Lank and McCormick and they were never close in Canada to even a provincial title ). So its kind of a show me thing when any new US team is touted.

So tell us 9, you know Lank & McCormick personally?

Did you know McCormick left Canada before she was a curler and competed as a junior for the US and won silver?

So who isn't following curling very carefully?

03-17-13 03:35PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
...some of the ex-pats that I knew here moved to the US and won national titles ( eg Lank and McCormick and they were never close in Canada to even a provincial title ).

I don't agree w/ JH's rosy predictions for the US ladies--I expect we will finish middle of the pack, well behind Homan et al.--but your comments about Team Brown are stupid. Brown and her vice, Deb McCormick, have won 11 medals in int'l play. That includes McCormick's WCC gold in 2003 and silver in 2006, as well as the multiple medals they earned together as juniors in the early and mid-1990s, when they won the US junior title four years straight. (Brown also represented the US in curling at the '88 Olympics, before Rachel Homan was even in diapers.)

This year Team Brown won two tour events, including the International Bernese Ladies Cup. They have wins against Crystal Webster and Maryanne Arsenault, as well as Anette Norberg and Silvana Tirinzoni.

To summarize for you, Nine Ender, they're not new.

BTW, according to her own bio, McMormick moved to the U.S. from Sask. as a very small child; she learned to curl in Wisconsin. So you are right about one thing: Deb McCormick has never been close to winning a Canadian provincial championship.

Last edited by Frykenstein on 03-17-13 at 04:39PM

03-17-13 03:42PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Didnt they lose the semi to tirinzoni in the bernies ladies cup?

03-17-13 03:53PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Didnt they lose the semi to tirinzoni in the bernies ladies cup?

They beat Tirinzoni in Brantford, but you're right, they lost to her in Bern. (The "CF" they won there was actually for the bronze.) My bad.

03-17-13 04:28PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

My friend Frykenstein defends me as well as calls me an idiot for thinking the US can do well at the Women's Worlds. To me, the most impressive team so far is Sweden. Canada won today because Denmark could not make a shot (yes, I watched the whole game). Latvia had a chance against Japan. Germany crapped the bed against Scotland. Switzerland seems lost at times but somehow wins. China seems to have forgot how to curl. I think I noticed the first of probably many lineup changes for Russia.

I know this never happens but could see someone finishing first and then a 14-way tie for second. Really, I think the top "4" is really about the top 8 or 9. There is something happening that is an equalizer - ice, rocks, snow storm, whatever.

JH
USA! USA! USA!

03-17-13 05:48PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

So tell us 9, you know Lank & McCormick personally?

Did you know McCormick left Canada before she was a curler and competed as a junior for the US and won silver?

So who isn't following curling very carefully?

Nineender may be referring to Heath McCormick not Debbie

03-17-13 06:04PM
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Nineender may be referring to Heath McCormick not Debbie

Good point. OTOH, that wouldn't help his/her argument. At all.

03-17-13 06:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
My friend Frykenstein defends me as well as calls me an idiot for thinking the US can do well at the Women's Worlds. To me, the most impressive team so far is Sweden. Canada won today because Denmark could not make a shot (yes, I watched the whole game). Latvia had a chance against Japan. Germany crapped the bed against Scotland. Switzerland seems lost at times but somehow wins. China seems to have forgot how to curl. I think I noticed the first of probably many lineup changes for Russia.

I know this never happens but could see someone finishing first and then a 14-way tie for second. Really, I think the top "4" is really about the top 8 or 9. There is something happening that is an equalizer - ice, rocks, snow storm, whatever.

JH
USA! USA! USA!

I agree with you it is a very even field. Sweden looks deadly and could very well go one better this year

The denmark that played tonight was not the team that has been present at past events. Lene was godawful..her strength is the draw game and she couldnt make any tonight

Actually everyone seems to be having trouble with draw weight. Its not just denmark or china, its everyone, even canada. The only team that seems to have it under control is sweden. Individually it seems like claire hamilton of scotland and erika brown of the US have it down but the problem is their teams dont.

It doesnt suprise me one bit that switzerland looks a little lost at times. Silvana herself is a wonderful curler and can probably make every shot in the game. Problem may be..as it might always have been is that she doesnt have a reliable 3 playing infront of her

This kind of ice might favor a more defensive game

what was the lineup change for russia?

03-17-13 07:21PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Team USA really needed to start out 2-1, but we're sitting at 1-2. Suddenly a game against Denmark is a Must Win before we face Canada and the Swiss.

Alas, the schedule does us no favors we'll catch the Scots late (when they've figured out how to draw) and China late (when they've remembered how to curl).

A loss to Germany or a loss to Sweden isn't any big thing if it is close...but dropping both games with late charges coming up short ain't a good thing. It is a bad thing.

Still, I ain't off this bandwagon yet. Tricky ice should improve our chances because of our experience. I'm still looking for Canada, Switzerland and the USA to be on the medal stand. Scotland, China, Sweden and Germany could make it...but I'm sticking with my original three.

Ben Tucker
Cheering hard for Team USA

03-18-13 02:20AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Erika has been around for years!!!! Perhaps you are catching some of ML's foot in mouth problem.

Excuse me, I was referring to this specific lineup. I have a great deal of respect for Deb McCormick but she was a star for a few years then dropped off skill wise a lot ( or was it confidance ? ). Considering that in the interim teams like China looked awesome and are already noncompetitive now it seems illogical to me that some of you think achievements from years ago somehow translates into this EXACT team winning this year.

My previous post was referring to Heath who used to play in our area and was no lock to win any zone title at the time. He moved to the US and became national champion.

And the undercurrent here is I don't think some of you understand how truly talented this Canadian team is. To be quite blunt, this Canadian team IS stronger by a significant margin then most of these teams. It doesn't mean they will win a playoff game necessarily, but their record this year suggests they have the kind of pedigree and poise that makes that very likely.

If the US develops a team on par good for them. Show me.
Cheerlead all you want but to suggest this Canadian team is overrated is absurd given their steller year involving a huge percentage of wins versus numerous accomplished teams.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-18-13 at 02:58AM

03-18-13 04:14AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

Excuse me, I was referring to this specific lineup. I have a great deal of respect for Deb McCormick but she was a star for a few years then dropped off skill wise a lot ( or was it confidance ? ). Considering that in the interim teams like China looked awesome and are already noncompetitive now it seems illogical to me that some of you think achievements from years ago somehow translates into this EXACT team winning this year.

My previous post was referring to Heath who used to play in our area and was no lock to win any zone title at the time. He moved to the US and became national champion.

And the undercurrent here is I don't think some of you understand how truly talented this Canadian team is. To be quite blunt, this Canadian team IS stronger by a significant margin then most of these teams. It doesn't mean they will win a playoff game necessarily, but their record this year suggests they have the kind of pedigree and poise that makes that very likely.

If the US develops a team on par good for them. Show me.
Cheerlead all you want but to suggest this Canadian team is overrated is absurd given their steller year involving a huge percentage of wins versus numerous accomplished teams.

UpYerKilt. You are very entertaining.

03-18-13 05:23AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

Yeah, you're right. All I hear on this forum is how mediocre Homan's team is.

03-18-13 01:36PM
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Heath McCormick went to Ontario provincials five times and was runner-up in 2003. (He was also Canadian Mixed runner-up in 2004.) He did better than win his zone.

And no, he did not move to the US. He was born here and now lives in ONT. He and his team finished fourth at the 2011 US nationals before going undefeated in 2012. So if your point is that a Canadian also-ran waltzed across the Ambassador Bridge and was immediately crowned King of US Curling by the desperate masses, you're wrong. Again.

03-18-13 03:31PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

YES!

USA USA USA

Ben Tucker
unabashed fan and cheerleader (Homan's name will be all over the record books before she's done, but I'm lovin' our team)

03-18-13 03:52PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Jeopardy Extra End Category: State Nicknames

None of the USA women are from Missouri...which is odd, because isn't their team motto SHOW ME?

Nom De Broom

03-18-13 04:45PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The Smarties jingle from my youth: (be glad you're not here or I would sing it to you)

When you eat your Smarties
do you eat the red ones last?
Do you suck them very slowly
or crunch them very fast?
Eat that candy coated outsides
but tell me when I ask!
When you eat your Smarties
do you eat the red ones last?

For all of my Canadian neighbors (neighbours in your Queen's English), please don't read too much into our unedited typing.

We all know that Team Homan is something very special. We just like our chances here better than most years.

Now that Canada has lost two games, return to your frozen homeland filled with the nicest people in the world (and Murphy). Over-react like a New York Yankee fan on a two-game losing streak and meth-amphetamines.

Usually we have about a 35% chance of medaling in World Womens and a 5% chance of getting the gold. I think we have a 55% chance of medaling and a 15% chance at the gold this year. So let me dream my dreams without you misreading that we think your team sucks. They don't and we know it.

Beating Canada in an extra end isn't the end...it's the start of my dream.

Ben Tucker
Thrilled about the day and excited for tomorrow