Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 21 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-01-13 12:50PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Re: Surgery.

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
It was surgical precision from Jacob's crew. They were making run backs(especially Fry) that were leaving the TSN crew speechless & probably Scotland too. (Those Scots talk too much anyway).

Impressed? Why should we be they won the Brier by beating Gushe, Howard & Stoughton. Enough said.

well anything would leave TSN's Vic Rauter speechless ? actually I like the 'scottish" accent on the wee lads...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-01-13 01:11PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by radiowave
If Jacobs wins this week, my top teams would be:

1) Martin
2) Howard (or you could say 1a)
3) Koe
4) Jacobs
5) ??

The consistency from Jacobs top to bottom will have gone to another level with a worlds and brier win. In terms of firepower/shotmaking that puts a scare into opponents, these would be my top teams. I may even move Jacobs to #3, but am hesitant to do so at this point from the sample size. Agree - Disagree?

how do you define 'top'? Are we talking top right now, or top for the 12-13 season, or top for next season, or top for chances to win the Olympic Trials?

Where's McEwan? And Stoughton?

As much as I'm a big backer of his, it's tough to put K-Mart #1 right now - they have been very inconsistent this year. Though if I was pressed to put money on it, they'd still be my pick for the Trials.

04-01-13 01:42PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

how do you define 'top'? Are we talking top right now, or top for the 12-13 season, or top for next season, or top for chances to win the Olympic Trials?

Where's McEwan? And Stoughton?

As much as I'm a big backer of his, it's tough to put K-Mart #1 right now - they have been very inconsistent this year. Though if I was pressed to put money on it, they'd still be my pick for the Trials.

I'm kind of going with something similar to the world golf rankings, using a two year cycle. Martin hasn't had his best year, but my list is mainly based on when these teams are on their game (and on my opinion of course). Going back to golf as a comparison, Phil Mickleson is nowhere in the top 10 of the official world golf rankings at the moment, but is easily better then anyone else minus Tiger (and perhaps Rory) when he is ON his game. I make that parallel to Martin. I didn't forget about McEwan or Stoughton, I just don't rate them as highly as the teams I listed when everything is clicking. And you have to find the balance between skill and accomplishment, so in McEwan's case he hasn't won a Brier. Just my opinion. Agree or disagree?

Last edited by radiowave on 04-01-13 at 01:52PM

04-01-13 02:15PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I'm kind of going with something similar to the world golf rankings, using a two year cycle. Martin hasn't had his best year, but my list is mainly based on when these teams are on their game (and on my opinion of course). Going back to golf as a comparison, Phil Mickleson is nowhere in the top 10 of the official world golf rankings at the moment, but is easily better then anyone else minus Tiger (and perhaps Rory) when he is ON his game. I make that parallel to Martin. I didn't forget about McEwan or Stoughton, I just don't rate them as highly as the teams I listed when everything is clicking. And you have to find the balance between skill and accomplishment, so in McEwan's case he hasn't won a Brier. Just my opinion. Agree or disagree?

Past record versus current performance. Are you trying to find some balance between the two? Personally, I like current performance as a measure because what's done is done. Therefore, the number one golfer in the world is whoever won the Shell Open yesterday after the rain delay.

Mind you the current performance measure alone would get the hottest teams into the Olympic Trials and as we have seen in the past these teams have not done so well.

04-01-13 02:48PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Past record versus current performance. Are you trying to find some balance between the two? Personally, I like current performance as a measure because what's done is done. Therefore, the number one golfer in the world is whoever won the Shell Open yesterday after the rain delay.

Mind you the current performance measure alone would get the hottest teams into the Olympic Trials and as we have seen in the past these teams have not done so well.

I get your point, but you need some sort of context to measure performance and achievement. D.A. Points won the Shell Houston Open and finished ahead of guys like Phil Mickleson, Rory McIlroy, Lee Westwood, and Bill Haas. Yes he was the best for that particular week, but does anyone really believe he's better then the guys I mentioned because he beat them for one week? Answer is no because A) it's much too small a sample size and B) people have seen what those other guys are capable of when firing on all cylinders, and some of it was been nothing short of historic. Murdoch beat Martin at the worlds in '09, but does anybody really think (having watched curling) that if they played the very next day, or three more times in the following week that Martin wouldn't be the prohibitive favorite everytime? I'd say he definitely would have because we'd have seen a much larger sample size of sustained Martin excellence and consistency to formulate our opinions. It's consistency and performance that you measure, but in the case of my list it was more geared towards the performance aspect (or POTENTIAL performance based on skill we've seen demonstrated).

Look at it this way, what teams strike the most fear in the opposition. Assume the team is in full flight and the opposition knows it. From my perspective, I'd say the 4 teams I mentioned are the ones that would strike the most fear based on overall performance and the shots we've seen they can play. And if Jacobs wins the worlds, I don't know how you can argue he isn't one of the top 4 teams. Opinion at the end of the day though.

Last edited by radiowave on 04-01-13 at 03:02PM

04-01-13 05:43PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Well i might have to retract my statement that they wont go 10-1 or something like that. I dodnt think they were that kind of team..they've always been up and down

however thwy will not go undefeated, that much is a certainty.

misty1

I was going to say something when you posted it because "around" 10-1 is what they will do. Just not many teams capable of beating them in this field. Lot of rookie teams and
aging veterans coming off sub-par years makes for an easier field too.

I think of them as being similar to K. Koe's world team in terms of ability and experience.

R. Fry has graduated to be one of the world's best Curlers; this is why people have underestimated them a little he's the main difference. All that time in the gym has helped all four get better I presume as well.

The TV coverage had an incredible stat that Canada has started 6-0 or better ( as much as 11-0 ) for 6-7 straight years. I knew we were doing well but that's an incredible stat. Is this team as good as the others; maybe not on par with G. Howard and K. Martin in their very best years, but on par or better then everyone else at the moment. My opinion of course its all guesswork.

With Edin's team apparently not firing their top game right now and the Scottish coaching staff messing around with the lineup, I can't see anything stopping them from cruising to the 1-2 game.

04-01-13 07:03PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

jacobs rink is curling well but lets not act like any of the euro teams are curling well. for some reason all of the european teams are struggling big time with even the most basic shots.

If they werent team jacobs wouldnt be cruising so easily. In the one end when a european team consistently put good shots together they gave up a 4.

im not saying this means they would be losing but i think it would be tighter

04-01-13 07:12PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

OUCH. That shows us.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.72.123.34

04-01-13 07:37PM
Llcool

Wow seriously? How can you say that? Did you not watch the shot making last game? Not sure about anyone else but I'm proud of team Canada and the way they are playing and they have a great chance to win it all.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.90.243.101

04-01-13 08:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

again, not taking away from jacobs and the team, they are playing great and i am proud. However at the same time the euro teams just dont seem to be themselves for whatever reason..and no i dont just mean against canada.

The draw shots sven missed to give steals against canada, the shots tomas missed against the czech republic, the shots niklas missed to give steals against finland, the shots that rasmus missed to give the steals against russia..these are just not the kind of shots we'd normally see them miss.

04-01-13 08:06PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

"In the one end when a european team consistently put good shots together they gave up a 4"

This quote seems to imply that you are taking away from team Canada.

04-01-13 08:13PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
"In the one end when a european team consistently put good shots together they gave up a 4"

This quote seems to imply that you are taking away from team Canada.

I realize that does look bad ..but thats not what i meant to do there.

04-01-13 08:16PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

In any case I think im going to take a break from curling..and this place. I kind of feel myself forcing to watch it lately ..not really sure why

So i guess i'll be going for a while and maybe i'll be back..i dont know

04-01-13 08:18PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Fair enough, let's hope Brad & co. ride this out right to the end.

04-01-13 08:54PM
Unregistered

the worlds are like the continental cup ... kind of a pro am event that is losing audience appeal...looked like about 500 people in the stands today - was there in victoria 10 years ago when ferby made the 4 day comeback and the place was packed , was only able to get tickets from the aussie team that decided to go for d inner --- personally i enjoy the brier and slam events the most ... gut feeling a sweden gold .. scotland silver ..canada bronze

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

04-01-13 09:34PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

The crowds were disappointing at the Brier in Edmonton as well. They didn't reach the levels they were expecting. And the people in the stands often looked like they downed a bottle of Nyquil.

Sad really, because despite what Canadian curling fans may think, the World Championships >>> The Brier $ Scotties. Saying you are a World Champion is where it's at, being the Canadian Champion is secondary. It doesn't matter if it may be harder to win, a World Champion is a World Champion. The rest of the world could care less about the Brier and Scotties.

Last edited by radiowave on 04-01-13 at 09:38PM

04-01-13 11:40PM
Flatfoot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flatfoot Click here to Send Flatfoot a Private Message Find more posts by Flatfoot Add Flatfoot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flatfoot
Harvey Hacksmasher

US team

Is this really the best men's team in the USA ? All 4 guys discuss every shot and not very intelligently. Really disappointed in the strategy at the world championships so far.

04-01-13 11:44PM
Unregistered

Flash

Here's Flash Clark making a field goal on his last shot. OUCH! I highly doubt Kevin Martin would even try that shot in desperation. Game Over.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

04-01-13 11:53PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Jacobs is going full out General Zod on these teams - "Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me!"

Canada looking great so far.

04-02-13 12:00AM
Flatfoot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flatfoot Click here to Send Flatfoot a Private Message Find more posts by Flatfoot Add Flatfoot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flatfoot
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Jacobs is going full out General Zod on these teams - "Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me!"

Canada looking great so far.

I can't tell if Jacobs is playing great or the other teams have played awful. Canada was terrible for the first 5 against finland but were lucky cause Finland wouldn't win B group at most clubs. You can't win a world championship on monday but the curling is terrible to watch so wish we could fast forward to the playoffs where I suspect it will be better curling and closer games. Sweden has a good record but they're just sneaking by very bad teams like Finland and USA

Last edited by Flatfoot on 04-02-13 at 12:03AM

04-02-13 12:08AM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

Re: US team

quote:
Originally posted by Flatfoot
Is this really the best men's team in the USA ? All 4 guys discuss every shot and not very intelligently. Really disappointed in the strategy at the world championships so far.
I agree Sure says something about the state of curling in the USA

04-02-13 12:12AM
Unregistered

and then they put Al Hackner in the stands and who precisely on the bench?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.108.25.22

04-02-13 12:14AM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Flatfoot

I can't tell if Jacobs is playing great or the other teams have played awful. Canada was terrible for the first 5 against finland but were lucky cause Finland wouldn't win B group at most clubs. You can't win a world championship on monday but the curling is terrible to watch so wish we could fast forward to the playoffs where I suspect it will be better curling and closer games. Sweden has a good record but they're just sneaking by very bad teams like Finland and USA

Jacobs is definitely playing great minus a few ends vs. Finland. The team has displayed incredible shotmaking skills, but your right, the other teams up to this point haven't been holding up their end of the bargain. That last stone by the US was a suicide play. But that's what a truly dynamic hitting team can do to you. They knew that even giving up a deuce was probably game over the way Jacobs is playing. Kevin Martin-esque.

04-02-13 01:10AM
Unregistered

"The World's are like the Continental Cup ... kind of a pro am event"

This is exactly what I find as well. I haven't been excited over the Worlds for some time now. I look forward to the Players Championship as the real season ender. The winner of the Championship is more a World Champion than the winner of the Worlds.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.76.2.100

04-02-13 02:37AM
rocking chair curler

Smile team canada wins 5

I think Team Jacobs is doing a fabulous job of keeping the competition at bay. Thank goodness they won't waste their time reading the negative stuff on here. There are only 2 teams that are a real threat remaining, and that is Norway and Sweden. Neither team is strong, but squeaking by. I hope that the Canadian fans will suck it up and support this young team. Martin is not here, neither are Howard, Stoughton or Koe. So stop the critical comments and wish these young men all the best. They are playing well. The competition is trying but they are being outplayed at all levels. These are not crappy teams. They all had to compete and make it here just as Team Jacobs did. I for one wish Team Jacobs continued success and would like to see some more positive support. That or maybe this is really just a forum for whiners and critics.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33