Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-17-15 06:54PM
minimalist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for minimalist Find more posts by minimalist Add minimalist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minimalist
Knee-Slider

Unfair curling rule

I am a casual curling fan.

I could not believe my eyes when watching Canada/USA women's round robin match in the 2015 World Championships and found that the following is apparently a curling rule:

Unfair rule:
At the finish of the end, if two opposing color stones are deemed tied for 2nd(or presumably higher) stone, the end is blanked.

Fairer rule:
At the finish of the end, if two opposing color stones are deemed tied for 2nd or higher stone, the team scoring in the end is given the option to score the 'sure' number of stones or to blank the end.

It's relatively clear the players think this rule is unfair since in the 10th end of the Switzerland/Denmark game, Denmark didn't challenge when the unfair rule above could have applied[score tied 7-7, Swiss have the sure scoring stone and the second stones are one each color and visually looking pretty much tied].

How can this unfair rule be justified?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-17-15 07:05PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

The rule *is* that if the tie is for 2nd or higher that the stones are considered equal and the team that scored gets the smaller score.

R11.f (page 17 of the Rules of Curling available at http://www.worldcurling.org/rules-and-regulations)

Not sure what you saw, but if they called it a blank...either they made an error, or the tie was for shot stone, not 2nd.

03-17-15 07:07PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

I think you misunderstood the application of the rule. If stones are tied for the single point, then the end is blanked.

If the stones are tied for what would be 2nd point for one of the teams, only the single point would count.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-17-15 07:28PM
minimalist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for minimalist Find more posts by minimalist Add minimalist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minimalist
Knee-Slider

Yeah, I see I had a brain fart. As I said, casual fan, so I was working and watching at the same time. They were tied for 1st stone in the 5th end.

03-17-15 07:47PM
minimalist
Knee-Slider

I am relieved that the unfair rule was only in my head.

But actually, the "fairer rule" in the first post still seems fairer than Rule R11.f.

And an even fairer rule (at the cost of more complication) would add to the "fairer rule" that if the scoring team decides to blank the end, then the nonscoring team can choose to give the scoring team the extra stone.

03-17-15 07:57PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Re: Unfair curling rule

quote:
Originally posted by minimalist
I am a casual curling fan.

I could not believe my eyes when watching Canada/USA women's round robin match in the 2015 World Championships and found that the following is apparently a curling rule:

Unfair rule:
At the finish of the end, if two opposing color stones are deemed tied for 2nd(or presumably higher) stone, the end is blanked.

Fairer rule:
At the finish of the end, if two opposing color stones are deemed tied for 2nd or higher stone, the team scoring in the end is given the option to score the 'sure' number of stones or to blank the end.

It's relatively clear the players think this rule is unfair since in the 10th end of the Switzerland/Denmark game, Denmark didn't challenge when the unfair rule above could have applied[score tied 7-7, Swiss have the sure scoring stone and the second stones are one each color and visually looking pretty much tied].

How can this unfair rule be justified?

First off this is an extremely rare occurrence in curling but can happen as we did see. But the end isn't necessarily a blank, the stones in question are ruled out but any other stones can count if they are in play. At least this is what was explained to me when being taught how to measure.

03-18-15 07:53AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by minimalist
I am relieved that the unfair rule was only in my head.

But actually, the "fairer rule" in the first post still seems fairer than Rule R11.f.

And an even fairer rule (at the cost of more complication) would add to the "fairer rule" that if the scoring team decides to blank the end, then the nonscoring team can choose to give the scoring team the extra stone.

so you know, the device they use to do measurements is accurate to a millimeter or finer, so "ties" are uncommon (assuming competent and skilled officials, which *should* be a safe assumption, given the amount of training officials doing measurements at National and International levels get), you just casually happened across one...I'm trying to think if this is the first one in years...and I think so...I don't recall others on this level of play.

and if you think about the spirit of the scoring rule "The team with the closest stone gets one point for each of their stones closer than the other team's closest stone"...then you understand why a tied stone results in a no score...it isn't *closer*, it's *just as close*...so if it's a tie for shot stone, no one got it. If it's a tie for a 2nd, 3rd, or 8th point, you didn't get your stone closer, you got it just as close...no point for you.

03-18-15 08:59AM
deadhead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadhead Click here to Send deadhead a Private Message Find more posts by deadhead Add deadhead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadhead
Knee-Slider

Kind of like baseball---a tie goes to the runner because the ball has to be there before the runner,not at the same time. Rock that is closest scores, in a tie no rock is closer.

03-18-15 09:31AM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

(assuming competent and skilled officials, which *should* be a safe assumption, given the amount of training officials doing measurements at National and International levels get),

You mean like the official who started to measure the back of the rock in the Jones/Switzerland game today and was immediately shunted out of the house.

03-18-15 10:02AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

hence the *should* disclaimer...

People do make mistakes, and sometimes things happen...particularly if they are relying on local volunteers to do the officiating rather than bringing in the "regulars" from CCA...err...curling Canada or even the USCA.

03-18-15 03:54PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Like baseball "Tie goes to the runner", in curling "Tie goes to the defense".

03-18-15 04:12PM
mgulseth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mgulseth Click here to Send mgulseth a Private Message Find more posts by mgulseth Add mgulseth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mgulseth
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by deadhead
Kind of like baseball---a tie goes to the runner because the ball has to be there before the runner,not at the same time. Rock that is closest scores, in a tie no rock is closer.

I get what you are saying, but I have to correct you on the baseball rule...despite what you have heard, there is no such rule in baseball that says the "tie goes to the runner". In baseball, something always happens first.

03-18-15 05:10PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

On another thread on CZECH it shows the frozen measurements of both rocks. The red stone was clearly a speck of dust closer so in a 5 - 1 game which likely wouldnt alter the outcome either way why was the official not more decisive and push off the.yellow rock. If he was not sure There should be more officials available at a event of that stature ( perhaps a HEAD official ).to help so that the two of them could make this decision.??????

Two Things Can Happen.........One is Bad