Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-06-17 11:50PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

Challenge Round

crickets chirping...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-07-17 12:08AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Well, they are streaming sheet C of the men's so you can check out how your friends are doing.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...Challenge-Round

01-08-17 08:13PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Interesting times. 1 discretionary pick for each gender remains for the HPP staff.

Much will depend on the outcome of National Juniors. Should Clawson win the Boys (they have to be considered the favorite to win), World Juniors in Korea will prevent them from playing in the Seattle Men's Nationals. That would open 2 spots...or maybe just one...or maybe none. The HPP could go many different ways. One thing to note: They did not playoff the C Qualifier losing teams (Alex L. and Brandon C.).

So what would you do if Clawson wins Juniors? What would you do if Clawson doesn't win Juniors?

On the Women's side for Seattle, to whom would you give the discretionary pick? Anyone? Nobody? I suspect they'll wait until National Juniors is over. I could easily see them awarding the last spot to whomever gets second place...especially if that is the Anna Marie Dubberstein team.

Ben Tucker
North Dakota

01-09-17 09:04AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'd expect the HPP staff to give the slots to the younger rinks on both sides, since their stated purpose is to encourage growth of teams that could potentially make a difference in the international scene , a younger team has a larger window than an older team.

It's been a real treat watching the Clawson rink from close outside (I.E. I'm from their club, but I'm not involved with their team in any way other than occasionally encouraging "Go get em guys" statements in the warm room and watching some of the drills they do on their own when they are home (which isn't often this time of year)

I look forward to the rest of thier season, and hope they manage to make the transition from "Top Line Junior Team" to "Top Line Team, period"...it'll be interesting to see what the HPP does with them...there really isn't enough space in the Open Progrsm for everyone...a tough nut to crack.

01-09-17 09:16AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

If Clawson somehow loses, and they go to Nationals I would also take Leichter or Corbett. Take them both if Clawson's spot is open. As for the ladies, I think Dubberstein is the correct pick, not sure who else I would pick after the Challenge round.

A big shout out to the Sobering team who lost those first two games and then ran the table for the last spot. That is a tough spot to be in, good for you guys!

Seniors starts next week, I have a list of the teams, I will start a thread and give my two cents, maybe Tuck can set some odds. I went broke on my last attempt.

Last edited by biterbar on 01-09-17 at 12:17PM

01-09-17 11:02AM
curlinglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinglove Find more posts by curlinglove Add curlinglove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinglove
Harvey Hacksmasher

Clawson already qualified for the nationals. What happens if they are the team to win junior nationals? How does USCA fill that spot in addition to the HPP pick?

Last edited by curlinglove on 01-09-17 at 12:16PM

01-09-17 12:58PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Yes, Curlinglove. The likelihood Clawson having a conflickt with Men's Nationals and World Juniors is of one of the main points.

While I respect Team Corbett and Team Leichter going on their own dime and I respect both teams for getting quality wins last year, I'm not too jazzed about teams that failed to earn a spot in a Triple Knockout with a small field.

I'd rather see spots go to Junior silver and bronze medalists. Sending Juniors, however, comes with its own set of problems. Very late notice...expenses...kids falling behind in life because of week-long events...etc...

I guess I'd rather see Corbett and Leichter invited rather than the spots go unfulfilled. What's the harm in inviting them? A tougher question is, "Who gets the spot available immediately and who has to wait until Clawson wins Juniors?"

At least Corbett and Leichter have some WCT points. The Women's side is a far different questions.

The C side teams in Women's have practically no WCT points. All the teams that spent significant time and money made the field already. In the case of Women's, I'd certainly invite Juniors.

Leaving the spots blank is an option. Does Nationals lose some prestige from letting in unqualified teams? Perhaps, but depth in talent isn't something that happens by accident. It needs to be encouraged.

Ben Tucker

01-09-17 04:07PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Did all of the current adult and junior HPP curlers qualify directly or by playdowns for Nationals? If any didn't I'd expect HPP staff to give them the last National slots or give the slots to junior medalists - if HPP "likes" them. I also expect some odd last minute 5th player slots for HPP favorites.

The challenege rounds were almost sign-up and go giving not much depth to the field to pick alternates for Nationals - but now the junior championships are musical chairs for slots to HPP and adult Nationals.

The HPP's strategy seems to be get yourself into HPP, especially via Juniors, and forget forever any building of adult elite teams from one club much less one region with non-HPP coaching to allow instead HPP staff to mix and match. At this rate, there will be no challenge rounds anymore for any Nationals, just OOM points and HPP staff selections for who goes to Worlds and Olympics. It wouldn't surprise me if Nationals becomes only an HPP training camp selection procress.

Last edited by Alice on 01-09-17 at 04:10PM

01-09-17 04:27PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i know there's a possibility that nationals could just be a formality . the top OOM points team will get sent to worlds.. as it stands now where are we at?

the women should be tight . given whats gone on on tour id imagine roth and christensen would be way ahead of everyone else and it should be between the 2 of them as far as who goes.

with the men mccormick won 4 events this year but none of them had very strong fields and when they came in to a field with the top team,s in the world they appeared way out of their depth, which should be concerning. they've been the most consistent mens team for the us on tour though. then you have shuster who's been disappointing this season up until this past week. so id imagine, again its a 2 horse race between shuster and mccormick with mccormick being slightly ahead or behind and then brown would be in not to distant 3rd.

01-09-17 06:04PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Oh my, must everything be a political beauty contest with the USCA? This is sports, complete with scores and standings and results. This should be simple. The next two best men’s and women’s teams from the challenge round should be offered the opportunity to play in nationals. They earned it.

Even the thought of choosing who is worthy by committee is ridiculous.

01-09-17 06:11PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, Misty, don't make me do math. I hate math.

Actually, Craig Brown is quietly having a very good year. Even with Face Shuster's big points weekend in the Slam, Craigy Brownie still has a slight 10 point lead.

All the major teams are scheduled to be in Arizona's shootout, so the point math continues.

Roth has a lead over Sinclair and Christensen.

I imagine Heater McCormick and Jamie Sinclair will be getting gift points for the upcoming Continental Cup. (I'm not opposed to gift points. If we want such events to thrive while the new curling world is run by points, then we must have gift points)

As of now, it looks like Heater will have to finish off the podium in Seattle if any other team wants to go to Worlds. The gals' side might come down to just Roth and Sinclair with a mathematical possibility to make it to Worlds.

Others chart this crap far closer than I, but are hesitant to post. If I hear from one of them with solid numbers, I'll throw the scenarios up here.

Ben Tucker

01-09-17 07:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Oh, Misty, don't make me do math. I hate math.

Actually, Craig Brown is quietly having a very good year. Even with Face Shuster's big points weekend in the Slam, Craigy Brownie still has a slight 10 point lead.

All the major teams are scheduled to be in Arizona's shootout, so the point math continues.

Roth has a lead over Sinclair and Christensen.

I imagine Heater McCormick and Jamie Sinclair will be getting gift points for the upcoming Continental Cup. (I'm not opposed to gift points. If we want such events to thrive while the new curling world is run by points, then we must have gift points)

As of now, it looks like Heater will have to finish off the podium in Seattle if any other team wants to go to Worlds. The gals' side might come down to just Roth and Sinclair with a mathematical possibility to make it to Worlds.

Others chart this crap far closer than I, but are hesitant to post. If I hear from one of them with solid numbers, I'll throw the scenarios up here.

Ben Tucker

how is sinclair even in the mix? she hasnt done much this year and christensen has won twice. i would have thought christensen was ahead of sinclair

01-10-17 12:57AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

^^ how does the continental cup have any OOM points up for grabs? This may be blasphemy but there might be a problem with the OOM PROCESS if points are up for grabs at what amounts to exhibition events with no team winner.

OOM points should qualify your team to represent the Stars and Strips, not determine it.

Last edited by southerncurler on 01-10-17 at 06:40AM

01-10-17 08:30AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Team Sinclair is having a very good year. They get points every weekend they play. The Dekalb in Morris and the Fall Classic in Oakville both had a lot of points and they did well.

Sending the C Qualifier finalists (Leichter and Corbett) isn't an easy answer for the Men's. There is one spot available right now, but the second spot is dependent on Clawson winning Junior Nationals. So which team do you give the guaranteed spot and which team has to wait? Leichter has more points.

WHY WERE NO POINTS AVAILABLE FOR THE CHALLENGE ROUND?

Ben Tucker

01-10-17 08:56AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Team Sinclair is having a very good year. They get points every weekend they play. The Dekalb in Morris and the Fall Classic in Oakville both had a lot of points and they did well.

Sending the C Qualifier finalists (Leichter and Corbett) isn't an easy answer for the Men's. There is one spot available right now, but the second spot is dependent on Clawson winning Junior Nationals. So which team do you give the guaranteed spot and which team has to wait? Leichter has more points.

WHY WERE NO POINTS AVAILABLE FOR THE CHALLENGE ROUND?

Ben Tucker

so they have. but when you look at what they've done it appears that, with the exception of dekalb , which had a strong field all the events they have qualified in have been weeker events. for the most part when they play in deeper fields they fail to qualify.

so much like mccormick , while they've qualified in several events all of them have been weeker fields and then they fell when they played higher level teams.

01-11-17 01:24AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Hey! They awarded points for the Challenge Round! Welcome to the leaderboard, Mr. Sobering! (just kidding there...they already had points)

Sorry, Southern Curler, but it doesn't look like anyone wants to take the bait. Having points for invitation/demonstration events has been debated many, many times before. The Continental Cup isn't curling, but it's good for curling. If you want it to exist, you need to offer points. If you don't, you won't get any good teams playing. Ends justify means? I'm sorry to be the messenger.

Ben Tucker

01-11-17 05:54PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

How are points awarded for the continental cup? The continental cup doesn't meet either the tour cashspiel or special events criteria listed in the calculation document on worldcurl.com?

01-12-17 03:34PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I don't know how gift points are allotted. WHY HAVEN'T TEAMS BEEN AWARDED GIFT POINTS FOR CURLING NIGHT IN AMERICA? If Russia and China get points for their little invites, why don't we?

Misty, I don't remember the formula for getting to Worlds from my own nation. I probably blocked it out mentally because I hate that we use a formula.

I do seem to remember that if your team is in the WCT Top 25 on the year to date standings, it's just Win And Go.

Heater sits in 19th with C-Cup gift points this weekend and maybe Arizona points coming. Brownie is on the bubble in 26th place with Arizona needed and nobody passing him. Face is in 29th and needs a dozen points. Brady is in 32nd and probably needs to win in Pheonix (I literally BEGGED him to go to Perth for some cheap Euro points). Birr (64), Fenson (74), Dropkin (80) and others seem to a national gold medal and a miracle.

God bless any team that goes to Seattle without a chance to advance to Worlds. I hope they get gold and insert themselves into the Olympic Trials discussion.

In Women's, Nina sits in 21st (thanks to a ton of points from the US Open...was the field THAT good?). She has mega-Euro-points available this weekend in Bern. Cory also is in Bern and needing points (being HPP does tip the playing field in your favor). Cory is in 34th and needs a pile of points to jump 9 spots. Jamie is in 29th and could really use a couple dozen points.

IF Nina strolls into Seattle with a significant advantage in points over Cory and Jamie, we'll have to rework the system. Most of Nina's points come from getting second in Blaine and first in Duluth. Good curling...no doubt...but not something that should lock up Worlds for her.

Conversely, if Face wins Nationals and doesn't go to Worlds, we'll have to rethink the system. If he qualifies in a SLAM and gets the gold...he should go to Worlds.

Whatever. It is what it is. I don't remember how much the USA Nationals gets for gold, silver and bronze.

Ben Tucker

01-13-17 02:10PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Tuck,

Does it really matter who has what points as long as HPP can rejigger their "rules" at the end of each season for who goes to Worlds and has any "discretion" for who gets Nationals and Olympic Trials slots? Icing on the cake of this pick-em-off-ice gambling numbers system is all these invitational made-for-TV events with invites overseen by the national programs' masters.

Alice

01-13-17 04:04PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Alice,

Yes, the game is rigged for those inside the HPP.

Tuck

PS While unfairness offends all (especially Americans), we now face international curlers who are full-time pros and semi-pros. Even the Junior ranks of some nations have reached that level. So the current Decision Makers have elected to pick a few dozen eggs and put them all in one basket...and now have given that basket every advantage they can afford. Do I like it? No. Does it have logic behind it? Yes. It is too easy to rail against the current system. Come up with a better plan to beat the pros.

01-13-17 05:45PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Or just play more, get better, and beat the pros.

01-14-17 02:30PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
Or just play more, get better, and beat the pros.

(heavy sigh) Then give me $50,00 to $75,000 a year and I'll do that!

The HPP conversation is never about what it take for the USA to be competitive, it's about how the resources are used. And how we keep competitive curling alive in America.

01-18-17 10:50AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

So I find it interesting on many levels that the Gift Points haven't been awarded for the Continental Cup. It shows why we need to have Gift Points or these events will fade away.

Sinclair looks like she had a blast and really put her team into serious World Medal discussions.

While Team Sinclair was lighting up Sin City, however, Nina Roth was in Switzerland on the HPP credit card getting serious points.

Team Nina gets 18 points and stays firmly in the newly-important Top 25. If Team Jamie went to Bern, maybe they'd be in the Top 25.

So did Sinclair's Vegas vacation cost her an appearance at Worlds? Maybe. She's lucky Cory or Nina didn't get even more points while she seems to have gotten Zero points for the weekend.

Ben Tucker

01-18-17 11:57AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

US Open strength of field

I sat in person at a lot of the US Open in Blaine and then watched a lot of the International Bernese Ladies Cup online. I thought it said a lot about the US Open's women's strength of field that three of its competitors qualified for the final 8 tournament in Bern: Nina Roth, Bingyu Wang (who took Bern's bronze), and Alina Paetz (who took Bern's gold). And going into the US Open, there were two teams stronger than those three I've just named on OOM points in Tracy Fleury and Krista McCarville. (Paetz has climbed 4 spots since.)

01-18-17 12:12PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Tuck I agree that some points need to go to Continental Teams. But moving away from that argument, here is a quick synopsis of how Team USA for worlds works right now. It was changed for this year, and I think that it is better than it used to be, could be better still, but OK for now.

First Situation
As of January 24 (or when OOM pts are updated for this weekends events), if you are Top 25 in OOM YTD points, then it is Win at nationals and you go to worlds. This is based upon 8 events, like OOM uses. Looks like for this year that will only apply to McCormick and Roth, with Brown having an outside chance needing to at least make the playoffs this weekend. Sinclair seems to have lost that by going to the Continental Cup rather than going to Europe last weekend.

Second Situation
National Champ was not in first situation (win and go). They award points for the US Nationals (First – 110 points, second – 85 points and third 65 points). Then they look at Top 3 finishers at Nationals. Whoever has most OOM points is team USA for world champs. However, there is a slight catch. OOM normally uses best 8 events. But if we get to this, they look at only a teams best 6 events, and of those 6, only 4 can be US based events.

So no one has to click to find it, here are the current US standings (I don’t think that I missed anyone but apologize in advance if I did).

Men
McCormick – 19 – 159pts
Brown – 26 – 117pts
Shuster – 29 – 109pts
Clark – 32 – 97pts
Fenson – 76 – 40pts

Women
Roth – 19 – 154pts
Sinclair – 29 – 113pts
Christensen – 32 – 92pts
Shultz – 69 – 46pts