Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-09-17 06:47PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

2017 Junior National Girls

Coming very soon to Fargo. I don't know about webcasts, Alaska, so don't ask. Following teams are in no particular order except that I'll list the likely favorites to win in the first three.

Madison Bear (HPP 1) looks like the favorite. The third, Farrell, is from Alaska. If I don't mention that she's from Alaska, I will get emails. Team went through the Women's Challenge Round for a trip to Big Girl Nationals in Seattle. If they win this, however, they will only see Seattle as they fly to Korea. Flanery, Lanigan and Miles on the front end. Solid. Coached by Bill Rhyme. Very solid. Consensus favorite, I'm thinking, but I'm also thinking that I don't love their chances. They have everything they need to succeed and win this (talent, coaching, hard work, games together), but the last step in getting really good is Consistency. I don't think they have that yet.

Annamarie (one word or one name or whatever...I didn't name her...don't blame me...my mother named me Bennet so not using a capital M ain't the worst thing) Dubberstein continues the reign of the Dubberstein Dynasty. McMakin, Burchesky and Howell on the front. Coach Bev Schroder took this young team very far, very fast last year. I assume they're even better this year. They are HPP 2. Didn't wow us in coming up just short in the Women's Challenge Round, but they've had a couple of good weekends and one great weekend north of the border.

Melissa Runing. LIndgren, Drees and Deegan on the front. Coached by Shawn Runing. MY PICK TO WIN IT. No disrespect to any other team. It's a very young field and this team has an edge in experience while giving up no edge in talent. Yes, they will likely be everybody else's choice for bronze behind the HPP teams...but they are my choice for gold.

Beth Podoll gets home ice, but I haven't seen them out doing much curling. They didn't blow me away with the Regional Qualifier linescores.

Elizabeth Cousins comes in from Boston and is coached by Grayland Cousins. Grayland will not be the nicest Dad-Coaching-Daughter coach in the field because Frank Podoll is coaching Beth...and Frank is one seriously nice guy. The East teams were Sign Up And Go so not much to base things on. I would hazard to guess that: If they've been spieling, they'll do some winning.

Susan Dudt also jets in from the East. I know very little about them.

If you are wagering on Juniors (and, therefore, damming your soul to hell because you shouldn't bet on Juniors), I have a great longshot for you. Bemidji sends over the Emily Quello team. They've been getting out some. I saw just a little of them once, but they were playing a Men's team and out of their league. Still, they throw it nice and call it decent. A longshot with a decent shot. Like most of the field, very young. Kent Bahr coaches.

ALASKAN Ariel Traxler is coming. Picks up a Schroeder from Michigan. I'm looking forward to seeing if Anne O'Hara is progressing at second. She's an extremely young Alaskan that I think has more than a little talent. I have no idea if she loves the game or not. Leland Rich coaches. If there is a webcast and if this team is on the webcast in late afternoon (morning Alaskan time), be prepared for the webstream to crash. Alaskans love to spend their work hours watching curlers from Alaska. There are web tracking numbers to prove it.

So it's a very even and very young field. This is not going to be dominated by a team like Christensen/Anderson/Anderson/Haag-Bear. Any of these teams can make the playoff and then anything can happen.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-10-17 11:39AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

For the third time in my life, I've been told that the skip of the Dubberstein team is Annmarie...not Anna Marie...and certainly not Anna Maria.

So this leads me to a small confession of small sins for which I hope everyone will forgive me. I mess with spelling and names and nicknames. It is just an inside joke for myself. It's stupid and I'll stop. The one that pops to mind first was my misspelling of John Shuster. I'd throw a C in Schuster. It only amused myself. It's not very clever. I enjoyed it. Then other people started spelling it Schuster and I had to quit.

So far, I've taken a minimal amount of abuse for not picking Maddie Bear for gold. Considering that Maddie is a cheesehead and has an Alaskan at third, I expected to cause much more of storm. If I barely get more reaction than adding an A to Annmarie's name, maybe I need to push harder.

Keep an eye on the Quello team. Don't sleep on Podoll.

Ben Tucker

01-10-17 01:26PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

See Quello in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVXRiBdn_E

See Traxler v Runing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSKftX4FZJI

and finally, see Madison Bear's team here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApTXUguMDqU

we curlers love us some webstream! Thanks to the great folks at St Paul CC for making these available during the junior challenge round.

01-10-17 02:30PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
For the third time in my life, I've been told that the skip of the Dubberstein team is Annmarie...not Anna Marie...and certainly not Anna Maria.

So this leads me to a small confession of small sins for which I hope everyone will forgive me. I mess with spelling and names and nicknames. It is just an inside joke for myself. It's stupid and I'll stop. The one that pops to mind first was my misspelling of John Shuster. I'd throw a C in Schuster. It only amused myself. It's not very clever. I enjoyed it. Then other people started spelling it Schuster and I had to quit.

So far, I've taken a minimal amount of abuse for not picking Maddie Bear for gold. Considering that Maddie is a cheesehead and has an Alaskan at third, I expected to cause much more of storm. If I barely get more reaction than adding an A to Annmarie's name, maybe I need to push harder.

Keep an eye on the Quello team. Don't sleep on Podoll.

Ben Tucker

You were serious? Tuck, you need to post more, us Cheeseheads figured you were just joking by not picking Madison to win it all.

She obviously needs to be the favorite, but this is Junior curling so who knows. I think it will be a competitive play down, I hope we get streaming. Hasn't Fargo streamed previous events? Club Championships a few years back?

01-10-17 02:51PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, Biterbar, the only thing you know about curling is to walk behind the scrapper. Of course, in Wisconsin, that makes you a curling expert.

Last I heard, the webstream will be fixed cameras on one sheet with no commentary. I haven't talked to anybody from Fargo. I will be there to watch a few draws.

Yes, Maddie deserves to be the unanimous top seed...if we were still seeding...maybe we are. My pick, however, is Runing. I'd wager on it but you haven't paid up your last lost wagers and it is amoral/immoral/unethical/just-plain-wrong to wager on Juniors.

Ben Tucker

01-11-17 01:15AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

It's not that Wisconsin is a bad state. It's certainly in the top 50...unless you count Puerto Rico and Samoa and Washington DC...which you shouldn't...they aren't states.

It's not that my hatred for the EvilPackers (now one word) spills over into a hatred for the entire state. Well...yeah...it kinda does...but some of that is jealousy.

So Wisconsin is definitely in my Top 50 States list.

Ben Tucker

01-11-17 10:29AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I've been naughty in this thread (messing with Annmarie's name and joking about a fake hatred for Wisconsin), so I've decided to atone for my sins and give the National Junior Ladies' Championship a great gift.

I have decided to have next week unseasonably warm in Fargo. Well above average temps. I did this a couple of years ago when Devils Lake hosted Juniors and it was very appreciated.

This week, North Dakota is in the deep freeze. Usually when temps drop to double-digits below the magic Zero mark, the winds are very calm. This week we get the rare double blessing of very low temps and very high winds. Tomorrow and Friday will see wind-chill numbers bottom-out around -60 in some areas. That can kill you quickly. No kidding. That can kill you.

But I will have it sunny and around 32 for our visitors. Do I have that power? Of course I do. I am Tuck. It's good to be Tuck.

You're welcome,
Tuck

01-11-17 02:51PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Funny stuff Tuck, let me guess, you are a Vikings fan? Good luck with that.

Not sure what a "scrapper" is, but I have never walked behind one. I actually have done very little scraping in my life either, but could I throw one hell of a pebble in my day.

I can see your confidence in a good showing by Runing, I think she has a pretty good team.

Nice of you to cooperate on the weather, I take back almost everything I have said bad about you.

01-18-17 08:14AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Big day today for the top four in the standings. At 8:00 Melissa Runing 2-1 (Tuck's pick) takes on Annmarie Dubberstein 3-0(spelled correctly) while Madison Bear 2-1 takes on Ariel Traxler 3-0. The webcast game should be Bear vs. Traxler.

In the afternoon Runing v Bear and Traxler v. Dubberstein. The winner of this mornings Cousin v Quello can also get back into the mix if they can pull off an afternoon win as well.

I predict a 3 team log jam for the last two spots after todays matches.

01-18-17 10:32AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I think I'll head down to watch a few games. I think Bill "Nicest Guy In Curling" jets in today. Maybe he will be holding a seminar to help Junior curlers promote their sponsors.

By the way: I was once considered the second nicest guy in USA curling. That was long ago.

Good field starting up in Phoenix. Significant points implications for Men's Nationals.

Ben Tucker

01-19-17 02:03PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

So if things go accoring to form in the final draw, there will be 3 finalists -- Dubberstein, Bear and Traxler.

If Dubberstein beats Bear in last round, then Dubberstein goes to finals vs winner of Bear v Traxler.

If Bear beats Dubberstein in last round, then they will play again in 1st playoff game with loser playing Traxler in 2nd page playoff game.

If Bear does beat Dubberstein in RR, then she will have to repeat that to win the title. We could have Bear over Dubberstein in RR, Bear over Dubberstein in page game 1 and then they meet again in final. Pretty tough deal for any team to win 3 in a row versus a quality opponent.

Does it really make sense to have different championship scenarios based on result of final RR game?

01-19-17 05:22PM
kdropkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdropkin Click here to Send kdropkin a Private Message Find more posts by kdropkin Add kdropkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdropkin
Harvey Hacksmasher

That three times in a row issue has been a key reason why as a coach I'm not in favor of the page system. If you look back at Junior Results over the past several years since the system was implemented, the scenario has come up multiple times. Sometimes the victor has succeeded in overcoming those odds and winning three in a row. But on others the national champ has gone 1 - 2 against the runner-up. Not a fair system of play in my book! Patching it up with an extra chance for an undefeated finalist isn't a reasonable approach either.

01-19-17 05:33PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Just do a round robin with a two loss provision, this isn't the Brier trying to fill seats. Any team that is a clear round robin winner is most likely the best team.

01-19-17 08:54PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Or just do a straight RR. Never understood the USA curling obsession with second chances.

01-20-17 08:21AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Or just do a straight RR. Never understood the USA curling obsession with second chances.

Well, let's just call a spade a spade. The HPP is so worried that it's precious little snowflake teams could have an upset (which has happened before) that they move all the cards in their favor; they figure that there will be a decent chance that their snowflakes could sweep the RR and so that it will give them an extra chance if they have a bad game later (this is what has now played out in the Junior Girls).

Now, that plan did not play out on the Junior Mens side, with one of the HPP teams (who gets support/funding/etc.) not even making the playoffs, and the number 1 and 2 seeds being teams who are NOT funded/supported/etc. by the HPP (with the number 3 seed being the other HPP junior mens team).

What other reason to have such convoluted rules if not to help their own teams?

Note: In the USCA press release about the junior playoff situation, they made clear that Dubberstein and Bear were HPP teams, but failed to say that the number 3 junior mens playoff seed is a HPP team, while the number 1 and 2 seeds, are not. I guess that was an oversight...

01-20-17 12:46PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

IMWright, I need to point out that the Page Playoff system has been around and in use long before the HPP was even created, so the argument that it is in place to favor HPP teams is not valid.

HPP teams will always have their advantage in financial support and training opportunities, no dispute there.

UPDATE: CurlingZone is showing the playoffs are not a page system but something different. Is that correct?

Last edited by WarrMachine on 01-20-17 at 01:01PM

01-20-17 04:01PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by WarrMachine
IMWright, I need to point out that the Page Playoff system has been around and in use long before the HPP was even created, so the argument that it is in place to favor HPP teams is not valid.

HPP teams will always have their advantage in financial support and training opportunities, no dispute there.

UPDATE: CurlingZone is showing the playoffs are not a page system but something different. Is that correct?

I was not arguing the standard Page Playoff. I was referring to the "if this, then that, but if this, then that, and if this, then that" part of junior national playoff rules.

01-20-17 05:37PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

deleted

Last edited by tuck on 01-21-17 at 12:09AM

01-20-17 07:05PM
Tpersinger3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tpersinger3 Click here to Send Tpersinger3 a Private Message Find more posts by Tpersinger3 Add Tpersinger3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tpersinger3
Knee-Slider

quote:
So I went down and watched more than a couple draws.

Ariel Traxler (skip based out of Alaska) does not have the body type current HPP coaches and directors are looking for. Traxler is not tall. She is not thin. Ariel does not appear very athletic.

However, Ariel Traxler can flat-out play.

You might think that, with an unathletic body type, she would be All Draw and No Hit. You'd be wrong. She has a solid slide and a clean release and hits very well. She does also draw well. Her best shot, however, is any shot that involves pressure. The bigger the shot, the better she shoots.

Traxler is in Alaska, so that precludes any serious chance at much competitive curling. Her body-type doesn't fit current thinking about elite curlers. Too bad.

I think of curlers I've seen who, at some points in their careers, did not have the lanky and lean body-type. Ed Werenich, Cool Hand Ed Lukowich, Alison Goering or, sometimes, Alexandra Carlson. Then I think about what talent we may be leaving behind.

Alaska just lost the tiebreaker to Runing. It was a good run just to get that far. The third is from Michigan and the fifth (McDonald, whose famous father was in attendence) is from Wisconsin. The girls barely knew each other. They throw them good and had their chances and cashed in a fair amount of their chances and Traxler...no matter that she is neither tall nor thin...can really play.

Ben Tucker

Who are you to address a teenage girl's body type on a public platform? Shame on you.

01-20-17 07:09PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
So I went down and watched more than a couple draws.

Ariel Traxler (skip based out of Alaska) does not have the body type current HPP coaches and directors are looking for. Traxler is not tall. She is not thin. Ariel does not appear very athletic.

However, Ariel Traxler can flat-out play.

You might think that, with an unathletic body type, she would be All Draw and No Hit. You'd be wrong. She has a solid slide and a clean release and hits very well. She does also draw well. Her best shot, however, is any shot that involves pressure. The bigger the shot, the better she shoots.

Traxler is in Alaska, so that precludes any serious chance at much competitive curling. Her body-type doesn't fit current thinking about elite curlers. Too bad.

I think of curlers I've seen who, at some points in their careers, did not have the lanky and lean body-type. Ed Werenich, Cool Hand Ed Lukowich, Alison Goering or, sometimes, Alexandra Carlson. Then I think about what talent we may be leaving behind.

Alaska just lost the tiebreaker to Runing. It was a good run just to get that far. The third is from Michigan and the fifth (McDonald, whose famous father was in attendence) is from Wisconsin. The girls barely knew each other. They throw them good and had their chances and cashed in a fair amount of their chances and Traxler...no matter that she is neither tall nor thin...can really play.

Ben Tucker

Wow. Some class that shows... Body shaming disguised as a compliment...

01-20-17 07:19PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm sorry. Body shaming was never my intention. I'm actually a big fan.

If people wish, I'll delete the post.

Ben Tucker

01-20-17 08:24PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Please do edit it. Everybody knows you're not that guy, but the post comes across the wrong way, and you don't want that.

It makes sense to highlight a young curler's talent and wonder why that talented curler is not a "chosen one" in the eyes of the HPP leaders. That aspect of the post makes for good reading.

01-20-17 08:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, i think it would be best. i know you, you are not that kind of poster but that just does not make you look good.

now, on topic of the event. why did they go with only a 3 team playoff instead of top 4 like they usually do?

01-21-17 05:02PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The fields are now 8 teams instead of 10