Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-25-13 04:20PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

So, an email comes today. Fort Wayne has decided they are giving out points. Who makes this decision? What are the criteria for giving out points in a spiel? Is there a format/conditions that must be applied? The slams are essentially invitation, are they excluded? Some of the GLCT spiels have men/women mixed in the play, are they excluded? How many points are awarded based on what? What if the National Championship is not worth a bunch of points? Do you want a team that finishes fifth at Nationals (in the original proposal) representing the US at Worlds?

For an organization that is trying to be "professional", this is the absolute worst proposal I have ever seen. I am embarrassed to be part of this organization if this is the level of "professionalism" that is displayed. We would not be on page 6 of "debate" if there were ANY details at all provided. My company does proposals for a living, they would have folded up shop 15 years ago if this was the type of proposal given to clients.

I have expressed these issues to the executive board of the USCA. Not the concept of the proposal but how it was presented. I would urge all others to do this as well if you feel this was handled badly.

JH
I want to enjoy a bit of summer, don't think that is going to happen.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-27-13 03:36PM
VanillaIce is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VanillaIce Find more posts by VanillaIce Add VanillaIce to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VanillaIce
Administrator

Points events....

JH,

here is how points events are set up and evaluated:
http://www.worldcurl.com/oom/oom.php?task=calculations

05-28-13 02:16PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

FedEX Cup

A good way to implement a point based system while ensuring the importance of Nationals could be to reset all the teams points once they get to Nationals (Similar to the PGA Tours FedEX cup playoff final event). For example the team with the most OOM points going into nationals would be reset to 10 points. Then you could have the winner of Nationals receive 11 or more points. Maybe only give out points from Nationals to the playoff teams.

This could be an easy way to ensure that a team doesn't end up in Nationals with a 50 point lead and already have the trip to Worlds locked up.

05-29-13 08:06AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

MnIceman, I see how that would solve keeping Nationals relevant. It does not, however, achieve the HPP twin goals of adding incentive for our teams to hunt points early in the year and avoiding some fluke champion upsetting a team that has had a great year.

I appreciate the spirit of compromise that you have shown, but I must admit it wasn't my first response. Initially, I was compelled to type a more sarcastic reply: "Yeah...or we could just send our national champion. I hate that idea and I hate you. How about we hold a ten-team tournament with a round robin leading to playoffs? Wait! We already do that." But such a reply is neither funny enough nor constructive.

It is my hope that some compromise, such as MnIceman's (which ain't bad), does appear in the final HPP mandate. As time grows short, I suspect that we will hear something soon.

Ben Tucker

05-29-13 08:52AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The more I think things through, the more my thoughts return to an old idea that, at various times, was promoted by others: Patzke, Barcome, Benton and others.

Exposure to good competition and great ice on a regular basis is the way to improve teams. Increasing depth is the correct tactic to counter nations that elect to forfeit growth by creating professional curlers. It simply HAS to be cheaper to bring some good teams to the USA than it is to send a mere handful of our teams to play repeatedly in Canada.

The gentlemen listed above dreamed of an American tour with some TV exposure. I don't think the timing was right two decades ago (Barcome) or a decade ago (Patzke and Benton), but I think the time has come.

Instead of funding five Men's teams and four Women's teams to play some weekends in Canada, we bring five Men's teams and four Women's teams down here to play on those weekends. I think it can be cheaper and better. I think it can expose EVERY competitive player to the competition and ice conditions that we look for when we send a handful of teams north...and we will exposing them to all of our teams and not just a handful.

I also believe that we could use such a tour to expose all competitive players to more coaching. We have too many serious competitors that have never been exposed to our national coaches who have a lot to offer.

How to best fund such a tour and bring in USOC monies within their policies could be tricky...but it is possible. How to interest a cable network for some coverage could be tricky...but it is possible. Getting a Title sponsor could be tricky...but it could be done.

I see depth as the both the answer to increased success in international play and continuing to promote growth. That it also fits within American and Olympic ideals is just a bonus.

This would introduce all competitive teams to good Canadian rinks and good ice. This might increase TV exposure. This might bring coaching to the forefront. This might be a better answer than messing with the format.

Ben Tucker

05-29-13 09:10AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Dumb question...

Has anyone actually *approached* NBC Sports Network, Comcast Sports Network, or any of the 2nd Tier ESPN competitors and *pitched* a "Major League Curling" concept?

Create a series of 10ish spiels around the country, or adopt 10 of the larger US ones (probably have to stay out of Canada because of TV rights issues...I'm guessing...), get a sponsored purse that, for curling, would be significant, but for TV it's relative pennies (say a total of $500,000 over the 10 events), give the rights to said Sports Network, and go to town?

Put each of the spiels near a Full Season club, and write into the contract that the club gets a promo spot as part of the show.

Find a core of our best teams and give them spots in the Televised Quarter finals as seeded teams, however add in the Poker vibe with each of the tournaments having an Open Qualifier for a couple of the spots for that "Anyone can play against the best" factor....9 times out of 10 the Semis will be Four of the best teams, but on occasion a novice will break through, which is always good TV.

End it with a "Championship final" of the 10 winners of the tournaments for something that looks cool on TV.

If there can be 24/7 Golf and Tennis channels, and *3* separate Soccer channels...there should be able to be access for this somewhere.

05-29-13 08:37PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Alan and Tuck, I like the idea of bringing world class curlers to the USA so as many of our competitive teams can benefit instead of a cherrypicked few - at least for the time between the end of a season and Nationals. After Nationals, I could see a couple of teams getting extra HP funds to prep for a worlds berth they had earned on the ice at Nationals...

So... golf has the PGA and the USGA both running televised tournaments... with all sorts of TV contracts....while the Augusta National Club Masters is in its own seperate world.... which all golfers want desperately to play in.... Why not have a Four Seasons' invitational for both the "professionals" and "amateurs" as Augusta does? Invite both the Olympic track top teams and the club champs and even the Canadian cashspiel killers who don't bother with the Olympics. Broadcast on TESN. Get Loudmouth pants for one sponsor. Just as the best USA golfing amateur, Bobby Jones, created his Golf Masters without toadying to USGA or PGA....

Last edited by Alice on 05-29-13 at 08:40PM

05-29-13 09:19PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Create a series of 10ish spiels around the country, or adopt 10 of the larger US ones (probably have to stay out of Canada because of TV rights issues...I'm guessing...), get a sponsored purse that, for curling, would be significant, but for TV it's relative pennies (say a total of $500,000 over the 10 events), give the rights to said Sports Network, and go to town?

Great idea, but you're talking about about a $4-5 million dollar investment per year to get something like this off the ground.

This is already done in Canada with the Grand Slams, but it's still only able to support 4 events so far. More are planned and hopefully an offering into the USA in the near future. But it still takes large cash sponsorship even to get one of these events off the ground, which hasn't been possible yet.

Curling in not cheap to broadcast from a television perspective.

Nothing is going to an ingenious entrepreneur from trying to build this in the USA, just mean finding someone with deep pockets to try and get this off the ground.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

05-29-13 09:34PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
Alan and Tuck, I like the idea of bringing world class curlers to the USA so as many of our competitive teams can benefit instead of a cherrypicked few - at least for the time between the end of a season and Nationals. After Nationals, I could see a couple of teams getting extra HP funds to prep for a worlds berth they had earned on the ice at Nationals...

This is another good idea to help grow the sport in the USA and raise the value of in-house events and has been discussed. It's not a great way to sustain success as it can be costly to attract the best of the best. These teams often play where the points are, so to attract them to come to the USA consistently, you'll need to pay large appearance fees to get them to show up to make up for the lower point values currently available.

If you look at the Top 10 of the Order of Merit, there are no events in the USA right now that offer enough points for winning to count towards their end of season totals. Only their best 8 results count.

By encouraging US teams to travel more to Canada and to play more often, these teams will earn more points on the Order of Merit, be ranked higher and when they come home to play, those events will be worth more. Then, the snowball effect of the USA teams carrying more points, making events worth more and local teams winning and getting a share of these points.

If it continues to a point where more and more teams are carrying points and ranked on the OOM inside the Top 150, the elite will come to the USA to play for the valuable points.

It's a 5 year process, but another added benefit of encouraging teams to play more on a grander scale.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

05-29-13 10:18PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

So, the USCA's worthwhile OoM has points only from Canadian events except for our own Nationals?!

I will say it again... just as Bobby Jones made the Masters the place to be every year for all top golfers... and yes it took decades and TV + Arnold Palmer to get that far.... so, too, should someone this year start such a thing for us in the USA and the USCA should supoort it by giving OoM points for our curlers and maybe even HP cashspiel funds, too. Offer either money or points and many of our top USA teams would come. Maybe the first year only one top Canadian team would come... but build from there. Invite the very best four curlers from Canada to challenge our best!

Hmmmmm.... how about a player's spiel for individual points? Open - mixed and single sex teams? A mashup of professionals and amateurs?

We need to to think out of the box for any real changes to our HP program. Shuffling points like poker cards and HP cash doles is not working. As virtually everyome here has written, we need more competitive events for more of our top curlers and better coaching opportunities for all of them. An OoM event here in the USA other than Nationals is one example of real change.

Last edited by Alice on 05-29-13 at 10:20PM

05-30-13 12:18AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
So, the USCA's worthwhile OoM has points only from Canadian events except for our own Nationals?!

I will say it again... just as Bobby Jones made the Masters the place to be every year for all top golfers... and yes it took decades and TV + Arnold Palmer to get that far.... so, too, should someone this year start such a thing for us in the USA and the USCA should supoort it by giving OoM points for our curlers and maybe even HP cashspiel funds, too. Offer either money or points and many of our top USA teams would come. Maybe the first year only one top Canadian team would come... but build from there. Invite the very best four curlers from Canada to challenge our best!

Hmmmmm.... how about a player's spiel for individual points? Open - mixed and single sex teams? A mashup of professionals and amateurs?

We need to to think out of the box for any real changes to our HP program. Shuffling points like poker cards and HP cash doles is not working. As virtually everyome here has written, we need more competitive events for more of our top curlers and better coaching opportunities for all of them. An OoM event here in the USA other than Nationals is one example of real change.

The USCA is thinking outside the box!

The USCA does not control the Order of Merit points handed out in events.

Points are awarded based on the strength of field of events. The Great Lakes Tour has started to increase the values of events as they've organized more events and larger fields which have seen an increase in points the last couple of years, but to see real change, it will require teams playing 8-10 events per year versus 6-8 and it would really make a difference if teams in the USA can bring points back from Canada.

Several early season events take place in Canada, with the first event being in Oakville in September, with teams like Pete Fenson, Tyler George, Heath McCormick, Allison Pottinger, Erika Brown and Courtney George entered, meaning if they can qualify, they'll rise up the Order of Merit standings. But doing this, when these teams play in the Great Lakes Tour events, they'll bring more Strength of Field points to the table, making future events more valuable.

Something that does make a big difference in the points chase as well is early season events, with Fort Wayne and now a new event in Blaine which will allow USA teams to get an early season jump on their competition, just like a lot of teams did in Ontario in the past.

05-30-13 08:13AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Curling in not cheap to broadcast from a television perspective.

I can't see why, to be honest...

You only need a handful of cameras, many of which don't actually require a cameraman active on it,

The action occurs inside a very narrow alley, probably the smallest competitive surface of any Olympic team sport.

The game moves slowly enough that you don't *need* the Super High Speed expensive Slo-Mo gear. About the only thing "hard" woudl be the camera on a track, and that's known technology now.

Honestly, I'd expect it to be pretty cheap, all told.

The TESN guys managed to do a pretty good job on a shoestring, hell, if I were USCA, I'd float them a couple hundred grand and say "Let's see what you got".

ESPN was able to make a major event out of *poker*...hell, even Professional Bowling manages a broadcast spot...the fact that we can't get an *OLYMPIC* sport to broadcast in this country beyond 2nd tier coverage of a Nationals Final is, to be blunt, ridiculous.

Canada manages it on a population 1/100th the size of the US...just saying...

05-30-13 08:51AM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

TV Standards are expensive

Just getting a look around at the truck producing the Nationals playoffs last year, I can tell you first hand the costs are significant.

A production truck itself is likely in the seven digit range. Each HD camera they had also had a $25,000+ lens (just the lens).

Additionally, they had around 15-20 people supporting the broadcast in one capacity or the other.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the money to spend, and we'd like to go HD in the future in a cheaper way, but tv standards are higher than the web.

I don't want to get into a "future of TESN" in this thread, but I just wanted to weigh in on the costs, because we've looked into it a bit.

05-30-13 12:28PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: TV Standards are expensive

quote:
Originally posted by TakeItOut!

A production truck itself is likely in the seven digit range. Each HD camera they had also had a $25,000+ lens (just the lens).

The main camera had a $90,000 lens on it.

Don't even get us started on cabling.

-BA

05-30-13 12:43PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Sure, but the networks already *have* all of that stuff (or know where to get it...some of it is rented, as I understand it according to a friend in the business...cameraman for Fox's DC affiliate), so to say "A network would have to buy..." all of that stuff in order to do a show is not really accurate.

We should be able to do better than we do currently, which would accomplish two things...1. It would get better games in the US, which would result in our having better teams, and 2. It would grow the sport, which woudl result in our having more players, which would result in long term better teams.

05-30-13 05:04PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I never should have mentioned TV exposure when putting forth an alternative idea. It has proven to just be a distraction. My thinking was more along the lines of "Build it and they will come."

Slams? Hell, we can buy those. They seem to be put on the auction block every four or five years. (just trying to keep Guertzie fired up...that should do it)

Guerts did have a legitimate point when mentioning that top teams seem to be seeking points. True, but free entry and some travel expenses would weigh heavily with many. We don't need Howard and Martin all the time...just some good teams that have an attitude of giving back to the game. Guys like young Hamblin or Guy Hemmings. Cotter? Yeah, I think we could get a few weekends out of Cotter. Heather Nedohin? Yeah.

Basically, I don't think we can outplay the small nations at their own game. Picking a handful of players and making them pros is against our culture and seems to not promote growth in those countries. We need a strategy that counters theirs...and I believe that depth is the answer. Don't trend towards the Chinese method until they get better results at Worlds and at home.

Ben Tucker

06-03-13 11:22PM
Alice
Swing Artist

Broken Record

So, now a survey has gone out to recent past nationals player-downers to try to bolster support for the USCA HP staff and its Executive Committee rubberstampers.... while the entire Board is split right down the middle. But, Huzzah! .... there are the votes needed now to call a special meeting to give American curlers the same rights Canadian curlers have to a fair and open HP process with checks and balances.... instead of the mercurial, "Y'all can read our cherry pickin' minds!" we have now.

July 4th is coming up. I do love fireworks. And cherry pit spitting contests.

06-03-13 11:51PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I am not convinced that anyone who makes any noise about things now is being listened to, or acknowledged, in any way. I hope I'm wrong.

Time will tell. One way or another this needs to settle soon.

06-04-13 12:22AM
Alice
Swing Artist

Not to worry. The current powers that be are listening while hunkered down, firing off that survey BEFORE telling the whole board they were on the slimey prowl for ammo to fight those on the board who want to discuss the HP plan and maybe improve it.

The infamous plan announced right AFTER a whole board meeting.

The plan with a moving target of points.

The plan favored by a favored few. (Flaming Cherries Jubilee anyone?)

The plan that would turn us into .... let's pick one!
a. Soviets
b. East Germans
c. Chinese
d. North Koreans

06-04-13 03:09PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

A message emailed to me to post:

quote:

Alice,

I have stood by quietly while you've made some disrespectful, inflammatory, and in some cases downright incorrect statements here on CurlingZone. Your posts have been hurtful to many people who have worked long and hard to ensure that we see sustainable growth in curling; people who I care about, but more importantly, people who care about the game of curling at all levels.

I don't want to engage in a conversation about formats. I think it is fair to say that everyone has an opinion and each person believes his/her idea is the best. However, blatant divisiveness with no regard to accuracy isn't going to get us anywhere. Smear campaigns against good people who have dedicated their time and energies to the sport we all love are uncalled for.

Growth in curling is not limited to competitive, national champion or Olympic curlers. It is critical for our sport that we attract new members and keep league members in our clubs. It is critical for our sport that we continue to open new clubs all over the U.S. Like it or not, success at world level events tends to drive these outcomes that we strive for. It certainly isn't the only precursor to growth, but it is a driving force.

You posted recently about creating money spiels or points spiels where our top USA teams could play. If you had done your homework, you would know that there are many points/money events here in the US, and there have been for several years. I have been working with my husband (John Benton) and Rich Ruohonen for 12 years now on the St. Paul Cash Spiel which was among the first World Curling Tour (WCT) events held in the U.S. Other WCT events include Madison, Duluth, Eveleth, Fort Wayne, Green Bay, and the new Bemidji spiel coming on this year. These have all been in existence for many years, offering competitive curling for prize money and OoM points. We've lost a couple of great events along the way; Grand Forks, Seattle, and Utica (I believe these may have been pre-OoM point times).

For you to be so bold as to state that we should have events like these and we should invite Canadians down to curl is blatantly disrespectful to those of us who have been working all of these years to launch and sustain these events. To imply that no one up until your post had thought about these things is simply outrageous. Do you have any idea of the work that goes in to running these events each year? There is too much to detail here; suffice it to say, for us to reach a $16,000 purse for each of these events takes a huge amount of effort and time. Do you honestly think that Kevin Martin, Glenn Howard, or the like is going to travel here to win $5000.00? We have to start somewhere, and we've been working hard for many years…apparently behind the scenes as people like you don't have a clue as to what has already been done.

Another way that people are working together to create more competitive events is through The Great Lakes Curling Tour which was launched just a few years ago. The Great Lakes Curling Tour works to band the U.S. events together (including some Canadian border city events), drive participation, share knowledge and ideas, and hopefully to someday attract a major sponsor. One of the best outcomes of this group was to create women's events at most of the spiels. Previously, the events were open formats, but to allow for points to be awarded, the separate categories were created. Think about that…more sponsor money to find in order to support now two events within one spiel. Again, the event committees rose to the challenge. The Tour has been a great success!

There are so many who have spent countless hours launching and running these events over the years. I want to say "thank you" to all of them for their work. Let's not forget those who have run events at any level over the years. All of this is important to grow curling. I want to encourage others to develop new tour events; perhaps on one of the coasts or both. It takes a ton of time and commitment, but it is well worth it if it supports the sport we love.

Let's all get out and volunteer at our clubs and events. Let's be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Kind of like putting our money where our mouth is. As the saying goes..."be the change you want to see in the world."

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts,
Carrie Benton

06-04-13 04:05PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Well said Carrie.

Alice-Did you read the letter and survey that was sent out? It simple informed people of the details of the new plan as they now stand and asked for input on figuring out the remaining details. Stick to the facts please.

Now back to the thread topic!
According to my math the new proposed process if in place last season would have resulted in Team Shuster locking up the spot to Worlds before the Men's final was even played. I believe Team George earned points in 7 events with 3 of those in Canada. Overall a pretty solid season. Looks like Team Clark didn't play quite as much but also got points in a couple Canadian events and in their hometown cash spiel. So 2 teams playing in the National Championship final that worked hard all season, played in several events, traveled to Canada multiple times and had some success at these events and there was no chance they would get to be Team USA. Can this example really be a desired outcome of this new system?

I find many more nightmare scenarios with this system than good ones. Who is looking forward to the first ever curling recount!

06-04-13 05:31PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I have avoided posting here for quite a bit. I will just say, listen to the most recent curling show podcast. Dean interviews Viktor Kjall from the World Championship team. I am making no judgements but is this what the future holds for the US (one competitive Mens team).

Another great interview from Dean. Listen to it at least twice.

JH
"very interesting....but scary" (old people will get that reference)

06-04-13 05:57PM
VanillaIce is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VanillaIce Find more posts by VanillaIce Add VanillaIce to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VanillaIce
Administrator

One point that everyone is missing...

One point about this that everyone is missing is that the quality of teams going into Nationals has a big effect on the point value. In other words, the more teams there are with points and the higher the World Ranking of those teams, the more value Nationals is worth. From the WCT OOM Calculations page:

Mens/Womens Tier 2 Playdowns (CAN/USA = Nationals, ASIA/EUROPE = Pacifics/Europeans) For the event to award maximum points, they must meet all three conditions below: 1. Must have 10 or more teams. 2. Must have 2 teams in the Top 10, OR 3 teams in the Top 25, OR 5 teams in the Top 50 on the Order of Merit at the beginning of the event competition. 3. IF both 1 and 2 are met, this condition considered met, otherwise a team from the World region in question must have finished in the top half of the field at the previous year's World Championships. Events meeting 2 of 3 conditions receives 50% of point values, while events meeting 1 or fewer conditions will receive 25% of point values. 1st 45.000 points 2nd 35.000 points 3rd 30.000 points 4th** 20.000 points Games during the round robin are worth 2.000 points per win for teams not making the Page Playoffs **if 8 or more teams in event AND team is a playoff qualifier

So based on this, last year Men's Nationals was a 22.5 point event for first, etc. Under the proposal being considered these Nationals points would be multiplied by two so first would have been 45 points and the breakdown would have looked like this:

Team OOM Place Points Total
Clark 3.9 1 45 48.9
George 20.4 2 35 55.4
Shuster 30.175 3 30 60.175
McCormick 7.345 4 20 27.345

So as MNIceman states there would have been no way for Brady to go to worlds going into the event. Shuster gets the spot at Worlds.

However, if the same teams had all played more and managed to earn higher rankings on tour, thereby carrying more points into Nationals, then nationals becomes a 100% OOM event and the breakdown looks like this:

Team OOM Place Points Total
Clark 3.9 1 90 93.9
George 20.4 2 70 90.4
Shuster 30.175 3 60 90.175
McCormick 7.345 4 40 47.345

In that scenario Clark still earns the win but in a more seasoned field. So you see it's all about creating even MORE value for our Nationals by improving our overall play at the World Level and increasing our overall rankings to make our Nationals worth more. Again, I say that our eye should go beyond being Team USA and doing well at Worlds. We should be focused on being the best in the world consistently. If that happens, World and Olympic results will follow.

Not to mention that when you look at these numbers swapping a place or two creates a ton of difference and drama in the system.

No doom, no gloom. There is a method to the "madness".

06-04-13 06:17PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So....you're saying that beating *the same teams* in *the same event* should be worth more or less points based upon how their previous season to that point went.

Sounds awfully BCSish to me...and does anyone actually *like* the BCS?

Nope...the more I see this the more I think I'm not gonna bother apping to help at Philly...and I think I'm going to encourage others to follow suit..."Nationals" needs help..."Another Bonspiel" doesn't...and this is turning Nationals into Just Another Bonspiel.

06-04-13 06:23PM
VanillaIce
Administrator

Actually....

Actually Alan this is exactly how the OOM has been working for the WCT, CCA, and other countries for some time now. You only have to look at the top teams at Worlds and then compare them to their OOM rankings going in to see the correlation.