Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-27-15 12:27AM
Tour Guide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tour Guide Click here to Send Tour Guide a Private Message Find more posts by Tour Guide Add Tour Guide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

BC men's teams next season

Interesting to see on the WCT website that Brent Pierce has formed a new team for next season with Michael Johnson, Derek Errington and Sanjay Bowry. What's happening with Jeff Richard and the others from Brent's team last year?

Jamcan has joined the Stephen Schneider team that he was fifth man for last year, with Schneider's third Jeff Guignard taking over Ken McArdle's team from last season. Is Ken now going to focus on senior curling instead?

Sebastien Robillard is off with a team in Ontario, I believe it was.

Sean Geall team still intact?

Anyone else finding it getting tougher to find guys willing to play in men's competitive curling? Our team needs one more and it doesn't seem to be easy to find a fourth. Perhaps I'm just old and need to give it up?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-31-15 12:46PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Ah, the old revolving door of teams in BC. I'm a firm believer in that for a team to actually be successful, they need to stick together for more than a year... but apparently this view isn't all the popular in BC.

As for finding guys to play... it's always an issue of finding guys willing to commit to a schedule necessary to be competitive. I'm a marginally competitive player, and I find that I can't make the time commitments necessary (not to mention the money) to play a decent schedule of spiels. I think a lot of other guys are the same. All for the privilege of getting to provincials?

And if you want a hope to get beyond the "I'm just happy to be here" stage of competition at the provincial level, the commitment required is even greater. You need proper coaching, on and off ice training (physical and mental), watching things like nutrition... it's a full time commitment on top of trying to hold down a paying job/career.

It's a tough sell.

06-01-15 04:50PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

What's wrong with reaching provincials as a goal?

Sorry Hack, but I find your post more negative than necessary. If, as you put it, you're just a 'marginal competitive' curler then a goal of reaching provincials is an appropriate one.

There is absolutely nothing wrong that goal. Why? Because only 1 team gets to win BC. Everyone else, no matter what your opinion is of your own, or your opponents ability, gets to finish second. It's only a tough sell if you can't understand this simple fact.

We all have a dream of playing in the Brier. Some very good players in this province have never made it. Does that diminish them as curlers? As people? Of course not. You enter playdowns not only in the hope of winning, but because it's fun to compete.

So instead of bemoaning your work, money and time situation, go out and play - in whatever amount of events your own personal situation allows. But don't toss in the towel unless you truly have no choice.

In men's we have maybe the best, shortest and cheapest playdown format in the country that still respects regional events. So there's little reason not to play, be a part of the process and - most importantly - have fun competing.

Because that's why I still compete - it's fun and it beats sitting at home grumbling.

Last edited by jamcan on 06-01-15 at 04:53PM

06-01-15 06:18PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Yeah, I was a bit grumpy when I wrote my post. Must remember not to write before noon.

Qualifying for provincial men's is a fine goal, if that is what you have set for yourself. It's especially great if you're a new team or if you haven't been before. There are curlers out there that would kill for the chance to get to provincials, but never get the opportunity. I'd like to see some of those guys (and girls as well) get there shot at making it. And for them, participating in provincials is a heck of an achievement and a very worthy goal.

I would find it far tougher if that was the end of it though. The idea of getting to provincials just for the sake of participating sticks in me in a way that I couldn't enjoy after a while. With the right guys it could be far more fun, and the thrill of competition is something that cannot be underestimated. And if you're new into the field, I can see how this can be quite the test, something exciting and a challenge of one's skill.

But here's what I guess I'm getting at. As an initial goal with a new team, getting to provincials is great. After that... my new goal would be to make the playoffs (or at least make a qualifying final). And upwards from there. If I couldn't be in the mix and progress with the goals, I don't know if I would enjoy just "being there" as much. At that point my goals may shift to something else which continues to push me to be better in other ways (including outside of curling).

But different strokes for different folks.

I do get only one team wins, and lots of good curlers don't ever get beyond provincials. For me... and yes, this is strictly from my perspective, I want that personal push and be able to increase my goals, and to do that, it requires more and more effort. Effort that many people have decided to dedicate elsewhere.

(As an aside, I will agree that it is far easier to qualify for men's provincials these days, but that is both a blessing and a curse under the current system. Less effort is required but does that lessen it's value as it is easier to get?)

Not that I don't love the sport and intend to keep playing or being involved in it. But some of that effort I'm willing to spend is going to be shifted (and I'm finding the coaching side of things really interesting), and that means that I have to decide what goals are realistic, and then are important to me, based upon the amount of effort involved. Every person makes that call on a season to season basis. And with things like life also being important... some of that effort needs to go back to that sometimes as well.

I don't blame folks that decide to walk away (short or long term), nor do I shake my head at others that decide to keep going... hey, good on ya for want to keep getting back to the dance!

Last edited by JustAnotherHack on 06-01-15 at 06:22PM

06-02-15 01:15AM
Tour Guide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tour Guide Click here to Send Tour Guide a Private Message Find more posts by Tour Guide Add Tour Guide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know my chances of winning the BC men's championship are slimmer than a starving snake, but I certainly enjoy preparing to compete and playing at my best, when it happens. There is satisfaction, even in losing a game, if you leave the ice feeling you played with focus and as well as you were capable of.

I look at a guy like Mark Longworth, who I think is 60 now, and he reached the playoffs at last year's BC men's championship with a team of young guys, including his son. He must feel quite satisfied with that performance. I know when he eliminated our team at the open playdown he made plenty of high quality shots.

Jamcan, now that you're with Schneider, are we going to see you this season at some Lower Mainland events? Perhaps even on the Region 11 Men's Bonspiel Tour? Sorry, but your team won't be eligible for the Tour Championship.

True story...the first time I saw you in person was in the spring of 1987 at BCIT. I was walking down the hall with a classmate, talking about how well the BC team had done at the Brier, when you appeared out of the blue. I had no idea you were a BCIT student, and I stopped you to ask if you were indeed Jamcan. I was but an enthusiastic curling neophyte then and you were a curling god! Didn't get your autograph though!

06-02-15 03:01PM
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hogginsheets
I still make sure to play for the fun of the game and not get caught up in the politics and the anger some teams seem to portray on the ice!

That's important. If you're not enjoying it, why bother?

(And the politicking in this game is just a bit silly sometimes... but that's for another thread.)

quote:

Making it to provincials last year was always my goal and now that we have made it next step is playoff spot or who knows even higher.

And I think now that you have made it, you shouldn't be satisfied for just making it again. Whatever your goal is (winning one or more games than last year at provincials, getting to a qualifying final or into the playoffs), I think as players (and people) we stagnate if we don't elevate our goals once we achieve them.

Good luck to you guys this year!

06-02-15 08:29PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Richard, the plan is to enter some coast and some interior events. We have a rough schedule worked out, I just have to finalize a few arrangements up here on my end. Don't know if the events are on your regional tour or not. But the plan is definitely to enter the lower mainland playdown.

As for being a 'god', I kinda think I'm the 'other' guy...😈 I don't remember our first meeting. Hopefully I wasn't staggering out of the campus pub an d was at least polite. I was exhausted after Edmonton and more so a few weeks later after the Olympic Trials. Those last two months at school were a total blur.

Last edited by jamcan on 06-02-15 at 08:35PM

06-03-15 12:49PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

Our team is sticking together, as is Cotter's and Geall's. I'm not 100% on Gealler, but I haven't heard otherwise so I'm assuming so.

Kevin MacKenzie and Jamie Smith both have recurring knee problems and are stepping back, so Grant Dezura and Kevin Recksiedler have joined up with Jeff Richard. They've added Bryan Kedziora as their 4th player.

Chris Baier is taking the year off to focus on his upcoming child, not sure what guys like Corey Chester, Tyler Klymchuk, et al. are up to. I would assume Montgomery's team is staying the same, or perhaps adding one of those younger guys if there's a guy on their team stepping back.

And Robillard has moved back to Ontario, as stated.

06-03-15 02:30PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tyler Klimchuk's BC junior team is reuniting

06-04-15 10:15AM
Rock On ft is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock On ft Click here to Send Rock On ft a Private Message Find more posts by Rock On ft Add Rock On ft to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock On ft
Harvey Hacksmasher

In the Kootenays Team Buchy has hired on former BC champ Deane Horning to play.Should be another year where Tom is right in the mix at the end. Tom and his teams have always had great sucsses in Nelson where this years provincials are being held.Im sure there will be another team or two giving it a good crack from this end of the province.

06-04-15 02:38PM
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

Fred, I thought that Deane had retired. Is he replacing Dave Stephenson on that team? If so, what is Dave up to?

06-04-15 06:12PM
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

Fred, who is doing the ice for the BC men's in Nelson. Will it be BJ with his own set of rocks?

06-07-15 10:44PM
Hunttheherdbull is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunttheherdbull Click here to Send Hunttheherdbull a Private Message Find more posts by Hunttheherdbull Add Hunttheherdbull to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunttheherdbull
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Tour Guide
Fred, I thought that Deane had retired. Is he replacing Dave Stephenson on that team? If so, what is Dave up to?

Yes Deane is replacing Dave Stephenson, as Dave is looking at playing Srs

06-08-15 01:48PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by hogginsheets
Tyler Klimchuk's BC junior team is reuniting

Minus Sanjay, I suppose. I'm assuming you mean his team with Corey Chester, Sanjay, and Rhys Gamache.

06-09-15 12:58PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nope.....their original lineup the year before they won provincials.