Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-14 08:17PM
gregburns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gregburns Click here to Send gregburns a Private Message Find more posts by gregburns Add gregburns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregburns
Harvey Hacksmasher

Island represent!!

Just watched Team Shantz and Team Craig roll over the opposition at Senior Provs (okay, Penny had to make a tough draw thru port FTW, but still), congrats to those teams and congrats to Comox Valley on a heck of an event (sure, I'm biased!).

So let's see....

Junior Girls
Junior Boys
Womens
Senior Womens
Senior Mens

... and the second-place Mens team in BC (way to f$%k it up Monty!).....

5 out of 6 ain't bad!

Can I get a "hell yeah" for Vancouver Island curlers?!!?

Come and get us bitches!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-15-14 12:22AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Excuse me. Where did the discussion thread about BC playdowns go? You know, the one where Morris's eligibility was being discussed.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.249

04-15-14 03:35PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's in the past where it belongs

04-16-14 04:55PM
Unregistered

For the select few bitter BC curlers out there who have been beating this John Morris residency issue to death. Please allow me to shed a little insight.

I work with John and have for several years at Chestermere Fire Service. As most of his family is in Ottawa, he has made mention on several occasions on how the closest thing he has to a family in Alberta is the group of guys he works with at the firehall, as a result we are privvy to the real John Morris. Not the guy the media portrays or the guy he is made out to be in some of these forums. I can vouch that John is an extremely hard worker, a great leader, and a very humble person... he doesn't even like to ever make mention of his curling when at work... actually even quite shy when it comes to his accomplishments.

John made a very difficult decision last year when he parted ways with long-time teammates of the Kevin Martin rink. He explained losing his heart and soul for the game and decided to play with a group of guys from BC who he had been friends with on tour for many years. He knew that this was going to be a big challenge to still reach the goal of repping Canada but he knew the team would all be committed and there was no other guys out there he would want to win more with. In December they came excruciatingly close in making an improbable run to the Olympic tournament final. Determining that their team had too much potential to be done after half the season, they inquired with the BC curling powers that be what would be required of them in order to legally compete in Brier qualifying. After a little debate, they decide to do everything legally required of them and pursue this option.

JOhn inquired about part time employment with a fishing charter called Good Time Dave's out of Victoria BC and had a letter drafted by his employer and is going to be doing Charters this spring and summer, they are booked. John usually hangs out in BC for about a month every sumer and does a lot of camping in the interior and fishes for a few weeks on Vancouver Island so this seemed like a good fit. The fishing season is very slow from the months of October-April and combined with the fact that John was competing at curling during most of the time, hosting Charters during the season did not make sense.

I can tell you that John felt awkward about repping BC this year, he lives in Alberta and was really not comfortable with it. There were even calls into the fire hall here asking why John was wearing a BC jacket at the Brier and rightfully so. As i've heard this happens quite a bit all over Canada, The Canadian governing body of curling needs to step up and make a clear cut decision on this matter to help alleviate the pressure put on curlers and provincial bodies.

I can also tell you this, John has booked at least several charters already and is heading to Victoria over the next few months to fulfill these obligations. As much as you fellas like to judge Mo about not having class or integrity, he could not live with himself if he did not fulfill his work requirements of him by BC. If you are friends with John on facebook (which I sure hope you don't consider yourself a friend) or follow him on facebook, he has been promoting these fishing charters.

To see some more info of this monster of a man you are making of John, check out the following link... http://www.curling.ca/blog/2014/03/...nd-big-sisters/

All he has done is start the Big Brothers program in his hometown of Chestermere and become a Big Brother for over 2 years, volunteer at the local junior program whenever he has weekends off from this tour season/work. And raise over 13k for Big Brothers Calgary and area through the fundraising of the curling calendar. And he wouldn't ever want an ounce of credit for any of this!
I have one question for you fellas from BC who have a hate on for Mo... what have you done for the game lately? Besides come up with excuses on this website as to why you can't seem win to catch or break? Time to take a long look in the mirror.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.69.218.54

04-16-14 05:12PM
coltond is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coltond Click here to Send coltond a Private Message Find more posts by coltond Add coltond to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coltond
Harvey Hacksmasher

Amen for this guy ^ John's one of the most passionate great leaders in our sport. I also love the fact that he has chosen not to respond to this utterly stupid banter. The guy did what he did WITHIN THE RULES! He's working this summer in B.C. END OF STORY. If you want to win championships like John and be as successful as John, WORK AS HARD AS JOHN.

04-16-14 05:40PM
Unregistered

If anyone is to blame for his integrity being questioned, I suggest its Morris who should look in the mirror.

Why wait forever to announce who his BC employer is? There was no need to keep it secret. And, if this indeed going to happen, why wouldn't his employer have promoted it publicly. Cmon, you have an Olympic gold medalist as a celebrity guide and there's no mention of it anywhere on your website?

And if he felt 'awkward' about repping BC then why did he? The original announcement of his play was for the Olympic trials only, not BC provincials. There's no need to lay this at the feet of the CCA either. The exemption form is very clear about the reasons which one may apply. And a part time, post season job isn't one of them. And you cant seriously tell us he had no team possibilities in Alberta.

Had he truly relocated here none of this would be discussed. He'd be welcome as a great addition not just for the sport, but too the local community he settled in.

Obviously you feel the need to defend your friend. And no one questions his efforts for charity-all of which were in Alberta. Its also worth noting that regardless of the personal feelings of the competitors, he was treated respectfully at our provincials.

However, we have every right to question what is obvious to everyone-a very questionable situation that affects our province.. We pay our dues and representing our province is our right. If we wish to make noise about it, we will, whether it upsets you or not.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.220

04-17-14 01:47PM
derekpap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derekpap Click here to Send derekpap a Private Message Find more posts by derekpap Add derekpap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derekpap
Harvey Hacksmasher

What does the John Morris residency have to do with the success of the curlers on the island?

04-17-14 05:38PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by SendInTheClowns

Him playing in BC meant the Island Curlers couldn't go the easy way to win the BC Men's title. The whiners resort to trashing him on the Internet boards instead of practicing more to maybe beat him.

This.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.141.201.135

04-20-14 02:58PM
Unregistered

I've based past comments about the situation based on a hard look at available facts and constantly changing situations. I don't believe for one second that what transpired is lily white. All the evidence points, in my opinion, to something very wrong taking place in BC and that there are no innocent parties. And if Gerry wishes to continue censoring posts, well its his website.

The only thing we need to know about Dave Eves is that he is supposedly Morris's employer-a fact yet to be confirmed by anyone. (Morris has only tweeted to contact Eves for fishing tours, not that he is an actual guide. And Eves makes no mention anywhere of Morris working for him) However, dirty.com is no site worth quoting or linking. There is nothing factual about it, only the opportunity to make a nasty remark about someone you dislike.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.147

04-20-14 06:38PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Sheesh, has the Morris whining jumped to this thread? Maybe it's time to lock down the entire BC Forum...

Let it go. Please. The two camps are fairly evenly split, and I don't think you're going to convince anyone that your opinion is the right one unless they already agree with you.

04-20-14 07:01PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by hogginsheets
It's in the past where it belongs

I totally disagree. That's what politicians hope for, that is, for people to forget their broken promises or scandals and expect that people will keep voting them back into office. This issue absolutely still needs to be dealt with. Force not just Morris but CurlBC, team Cotter and players, their coach and anyone else involved in this deceptive decision to come clean and face the consequences.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.151.96.229

04-20-14 11:30PM
Unregistered

Absolutely. Scott Braley sits in his office hoping that people will stop emailing him about Morris. This weekends unretirement announcement, following on the heels of John's retirement press release, doesn't help things for Curl BC' s head honcho.

In fact, Morris has now managed to make Curl BC and Braley look like curling's version of the keystone Kops. Inept, blundering and easy to deceive.

And I can't begin to wonder what Cotter thinks right now. Unless he knew John's retirement was just a smokescreen for a couple of weeks while Koe went to China.

I imagine the upcoming Curl BC AGM will be lively. If i was Scott Braley I'd be updating my résumé.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.147

04-21-14 06:51PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's like Russ Howard talking about the lively striking bands all season.......this topic never ends.

04-21-14 07:58PM
Unregistered

Just wondering ....... is ths the same John Morris guy that hung out at Sherlock Holmes (Bar) all week during the 2013 Brier ? Just checking.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.176.114.69

04-21-14 09:46PM
Unregistered

quote:
It's like Russ Howard talking about the lively striking bands all season.......this topic never ends.

If you want to know why it never ends, here's a news story that might help explain it!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1157137/i...canadian-study/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.70.7.174

04-21-14 09:49PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:

Heh... ain't that the truth.

What a bunch of bellyaching. Regardless of Morris flip-flopping on taking a year off (and remember, he did say he would play a limited schedule if an opportunity to play as Team Canada... he didn't say with who), I can't believe all the screaming and whining going on.

Get over it guys. It happened. Now if you want to ban it outright for next season, go tell Curl BC and the CCA to make the residency rules iron-clad and don't allow the sort of exemption that was used in this case.

Personally, and as I mentioned before, I think it's great he raised the level of men's curling in BC this season. You want to be the best, beat the best.

And to all you anonymous cowards who are busying smearing John's character... do me a favour and post your name at the bottom of your post. It's easy being a **** when you're anonymous. I'm guessing the vast majority of you have no clue what sort of guy he really is, and are basing your opinions on your narrow little view points.

And now, to the point of this post... Island Represent indeed! Well done guys... but I do have a question. Why was Wes Craig allowed to complete in Seniors and then the Mixed when there was a schedule conflict?

This irritates me more than the Johnny Mo thing. Here's why... from the Curl BC rule book:

4. Playdown Eligibility

i) If a player in two playdowns has a time or date conflict, the player must withdraw from the competition in which he or she is least advanced. The team will be permitted to use a replacement in accordance with Rule 6 (i). The player who has withdrawn will not be permitted to rejoin the team.

So Wes Craig was busy playing in the Senior Provincials (Feb. 17-23) which conflicted with Mixed Island Playdowns (Feb. 21-23). So why was he permitted to rejoin his mixed team afterwards? (Miles Craig skipped some of the games during the playdowns and they brought in a fifth while Wes was away).

This bothers me more, as allowing Wes to rejoin the Mixed Playdowns is directly contrary to Curl BC rules. So... why was this permitted? In other cases where this sort of conflict occurred, teams withdrew based upon this rule.

04-22-14 12:02AM
Tour Guide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tour Guide Click here to Send Tour Guide a Private Message Find more posts by Tour Guide Add Tour Guide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

JustAnotherHack:

During our game against Wes at the BC senior men's championship, Wes and I had a brief discussion about the scheduling conflict that made it impossible to play in the BC seniors and the regional mixed playdowns.

It was later related to me that after Wes won the BC senior men's title (deservedly so as they were the best team that week) he then headed over to the Island mixed playdown event and asked to join his mixed team for the final part of the playdown. Apparently, a volunteer official of some sort made a mistake and allowed Wes to join in when he shouldn't have been allowed to do so. Yes, it did technically break the rules, but it's not something I'm going to get too worked up over myself, as Wes should have had the opportunity to curl in both events.

I think the bigger problem overall was the scheduling conflict that precluded us old guys from curling in the regional mixed playdowns, which I actually had an invitation to do. After I qualified for the seniors, the mixed team had to pick up another player. As a former Curl BC staff member with responsibility for playdowns, that date conflict is something I would have tried my best to avoid. Why it happened, I don't know.

Richard Brower

04-22-14 12:25AM
Tour Guide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tour Guide Click here to Send Tour Guide a Private Message Find more posts by Tour Guide Add Tour Guide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

While I'm on here, I'd like to offer my congratulations to the Darren Frycz team from Langley that won the Pacific International Cup, but more importantly the BC Dominion Curling Club Championship, this past weekend in Richmond. They now get to represent BC in Halifax next November at the national event, which my team attended in 2012. I can attest to this being the greatest event out there for club curlers and can't thank Dominion enough for putting it on.

Darren's squad did well in beating Sean Geall then Dave Mellof from Kelowna, two guys who've been to the Brier, in the playoffs on Sunday. Mellof also had Neil Cussons with him, who at one time curled competitively with Pat Simmons.

Darren and the guys really didn't have a stellar season in the Langley men's league. We played them once in the A block and beat them in a hurry. I think they spent most of the season in B block, but they turned it on at the end of the season to win the Langley club championship and then qualify at the Mainland Club Challenge.

Darren has won the PIC once before and has had success on the Region 11 Men's Bonspiel Tour in past seasons.

Richard

Last edited by Tour Guide on 04-22-14 at 12:28AM

04-22-14 12:30AM
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Tour Guide
JustAnotherHack:

During our game against Wes at the BC senior men's championship, Wes and I had a brief discussion about the scheduling conflict that made it impossible to play in the BC seniors and the regional mixed playdowns.

It was later related to me that after Wes won the BC senior men's title (deservedly so as they were the best team that week) he then headed over to the Island mixed playdown event and asked to join his mixed team for the final part of the playdown. Apparently, a volunteer official of some sort made a mistake and allowed Wes to join in when he shouldn't have been allowed to do so. Yes, it did technically break the rules, but it's not something I'm going to get too worked up over myself, as Wes should have had the opportunity to curl in both events.

I think the bigger problem overall was the scheduling conflict that precluded us old guys from curling in the regional mixed playdowns, which I actually had an invitation to do. After I qualified for the seniors, the mixed team had to pick up another player. As a former Curl BC staff member with responsibility for playdowns, that date conflict is something I would have tried my best to avoid. Why it happened, I don't know.

Richard Brower

Thanks for the feedback Richard. It would be nice if Curl BC could sort out another weekend for mixed playdowns other than the weekend of the Seniors, but all but the North's playdown in the Mixed was scheduled for the same weekend, so I'm thinking the scheduling was deliberate. For whatever reason. In the past, the Seniors were usually on different weekend, but occasionally there was some overlap... you'd have to ask Curl BC why they overlapped the two events the way the did this year.

All that aside, it's a pretty big goof on Curl BC's part. You don't put a rule in place and then ignore it, especially when said ineligible player winds up winning the Mixed Provincials. I'm not saying Wes Craig isn't worthy and didn't deserve to win, but he wasn't eligible by Curl BC's very own rules. If I was one of those other teams at the Mixed, I would be choked over this.

This is the kind of stuff I call an association on to the carpet for. It makes them look amateurish (I wanted to say something else but I'm trying to be nice) and makes you question their authority over the game when they cannot even enforce their own, clearly defined, rules.

04-22-14 01:00AM
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

JustAnotherHack:

Yes, it was unfortunate how things played out. Keep in mind though that Curl BC as an entity relies heavily on volunteers. Those of us who have relied heavily on volunteers in our workplace can tell you that mistakes are bound to happen. I've seen volunteers make far worse mistakes than what happened with Wes and/or make intentional bad moves during my time working in the curling world. Most volunteers though are to be thoroughly appreciated for time they donate to the sport.

Many of the folks who come on here to complain about Curl BC should think about offering a hand to help out with things in the BC curling community.

Richard

04-22-14 09:25AM
Unregistered

The scheduling of playdowns is done by a paid employee of Curl BC, the ccompetitions director. I place no blame on a volunteer at an event for this mix up. With mixed nationals not taking place until fall, its ridiculous that there was a conflict with any other provincial final. Yet another example why its time to clean house at Curl BC-starting at the top.

While we're on the topic of scheduling, if Curl BC wants more teams on the CTRS, then move men's zones from early December into the second weekend of January so teams can enter more tour spiels. Just make the CTRS berth deadline December 23-24.

With only two events before provincials, there's no sensible reason to have zones so far ahead of provincials.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.146

04-22-14 03:09PM
Unregistered

quote:
Ok Mr. Cotter (I want to say it like Horseshack....for those old enough to remember that)........has just announced their new player at third, he is from Vernon, BC and lives there..

So the issue is over and done!

BC is Mo free and so should this forum.

who is it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.4.32.97

04-22-14 03:48PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

who is it?

2000 World Junior Champion Ryan Kuhn is joining Team Cotter for next season.

https://www.facebook.com/Everything...873776042647990

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-22-14 05:01PM
Unregistered

Interesting pick up. He hasn't played competitive for years. Why not Perepolkin? Richards? Or the Kelowna guy who threw last rocks for Dezura?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.146

04-22-14 05:17PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Interesting pick up. He hasn't played competitive for years. Why not Perepolkin? Richards? Or the Kelowna guy who threw last rocks for Dezura?

So Cotter has a new squad, Geall has a new squad and presumably Joanisse is looking to fill a spot for a new squad. Any other updates or is the rest of BC keeping it the same?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.4.32.97