Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-19-14 05:14PM
u99u88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for u99u88 Click here to Send u99u88 a Private Message Find more posts by u99u88 Add u99u88 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
u99u88
Knee-Slider

Free House Rule

The "Free House Rule

Curling is a great sport. Unfortunately, curling has a bad rule the free guard zone. So, I propose the Free House Rule:

"No rock lying in the house can be removed from play by the opposition until the first four rocks of the end have come to rest. Rocks outside the house may be removed during the first four shots. During the first four shots, if a guard is hit first by the thrown stone and then the guard or the thrown stone strikes a rock in the house then there is no infraction.

I think that for beginning players the free house rule is better, more exciting and more fun than the free guard rule. The following are my reasons. But to really get a feel for it, I challenge you to try this rule out for a few ends and see how you like it

With the free house rule you can safely place one or two rocks in the house to start the end. This is great for early strategy options:

Do you put two in the house, one on each side forcing two separate take out shots?
Do you play conservatively with one in the house and then a guard in front of it.
Do you play aggressive, trying to hit a guard and push it into their rock in the house? This is the only way to move an opponents rock in the house during the first four shots.

With the free house rule there is so much more action early in the end. Now the 5th and 6th shots become so much more important and exciting.

Imagine what faces the skip as you line up for the 5th shot with 4 rocks in the house, and no guards.

Do you put up your own guard?
Do you try a takeout?
Do you try for a double takeout?
Do put a 3rd stone in the house.

These are tough decisions for the skipper which will define the rest of the game. These are fun and challenging throws often dont occur during an entire end.

For beginning players, throwing a guard when there is no rock in the house make no sense.. I am referring to guards the skipper calls when there is no rock in the house yet. This usually occurs in the first four shots thanks to the free guard zone.

For example, you have the first throw of the end. Skip wants a high guard on the left. You throw it well and it stops 3 feet in front of the house. It is not yet guarding any rocks. The strategy is that I will curl my next throw around the guard into the house safely behind the guard.

Here are the four problems with that strategy. First, Im not good enough to curl a rock around my guard. If I try it, I will usually either hit my guard and both rocks stop short of the house, leaving me now with two guards with still nothing behind them. Or I will throw to the side of the guard and stop in the house, but not behind the guard, so the guard does not really protect my house rock.

Second, assume that I am good enough or just lucky, and I curl that rock right behind guard. Perfecto! Only one problem, if I am good enough to curl my rock to that patch of ice then my opponent can use the same exact path to send his rock around the same guard and headed to the same patch of ice that my rock now occupies. So I get knocked away now and my opponents rock sits behind the guard. You see, if I can get my rock around the guard to stop on that particular patch of ice then my opponent can do the same. A strategy which relies upon me being better than my opponent is not a productive strategy.

Third problem, once the rock leaves my hand, it is no longer mine. Once the guard is in place, it is neutral, no advantage for either player, unless there's something behind it. The rock knows no color. It will not step away and clear a path for my red rock, and then firmly block my opponents blue rock. It is neutral. It is simply now an obstacle that both teams must deal with.

Which brings us to the final problem -- which is timing? Assume that I put up a guard with nothing behind it on the theory that I will find a use for that guard later on. But if I do that, who is the first person with an opportunity to use my guard? Not my team. My opponent! He has the next throw. Why wouldn't my opponent use my guard first in the very next throw after my guard is in place?

This is why the no guard zone rule is bad. The rule makes you throw up a guard in the first shot of the end. What else are you going to do with the first throw of the end under this rule?

So, in review, I have no trouble with setting up a guard in front of a rock that is already in the house and that I want protected. But I don't think the strategy of putting up guards with nothing behind them yet makes much sense. Unfortunately, the free guard zone rule encourages skippers to call for guards when there are no rocks in the house.

Just try this rule for an end and see how much more you enjoy the sport.

David Davis
Boise, Idaho
U99u88@gmail.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-19-14 05:39PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I'm not immediately opposed to changing the free guard zone rule, but your explanation of various situations is a little convoluted for amateur play, and utterly nonsensical for the highest-level players. I love what the slams have done experimenting with the 5-rock free guard zone, and I wonder if we might see them try a tournament with the full Moncton rules - where the first 4 rocks cannot be removed no matter where they come to rest! The 4- or 5-rock rule works really well for elite-level curling, but I agree that club curlers should feel free to try modified free guard zone rules should the players be up for it. There's no need to change the rules of official play just yet, IMHO.

04-21-14 07:30AM
livelysue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livelysue Click here to Send livelysue a Private Message Find more posts by livelysue Add livelysue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livelysue
Harvey Hacksmasher

I like the idea of the 5 rock rule because in theory it is supposed to generate more rocks in play. With most of the teams playing the tick shot so well, the 5 rock rule is not generating as many useful rocks in play as expexted. I like how stick curling does it. The first 4 rocks of the end cannot be removed regardless where the rock is. This generates rocks in play.

04-21-14 07:16PM
derek sutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derek sutton Click here to Send derek sutton a Private Message Find more posts by derek sutton Add derek sutton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

You could try this if you want, and maybe at the most ametuer levels you could consider this "curling", just like you can say going to the mini putt is golfing. You really need to brush up on your strategy and skill, then the free guard zone will make much more sense to you.

If your opponent is try for deuce while you are trying to steal, they will want their own guards in certain places (corners vs centers). If oyur opponent is content own using the guards you have thrown, you have the opprtunity to make runbacks or further set up the end in your favour. If you throw a center guard and your opponent (with hammer) plays a come around, you should be happy, that can be a flawed strategy on their part, basically saying they are happy with a single.

Not exactlly sure what you are trying to gain with your proposal, but if it something you want to try and can pull off and get others on board in your club god for you.

Last edited by derek sutton on 04-21-14 at 07:35PM

04-21-14 07:46PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I say you cant throw any hits until Third stones.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.176.114.69

04-21-14 07:54PM
derek sutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derek sutton Click here to Send derek sutton a Private Message Find more posts by derek sutton Add derek sutton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Why??? What are you trying to gain?

04-21-14 10:11PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Thumbs down

So its the 8th end (or 10th end), what does the person with a 2 point lead do on the leads rock. Purposely throw their rock through the house. Nothing gets accomplished as some point, there will be across the house double which quite easy to do with the striking bands on most new rocks being hyper active (which is almost artificial in my opinion) .

If there is going to be rule change, it would be losing hammer if you blank an end similar to the TSN Skins Game. That makes a lot more sense. Even the 5 rock slam rule makes more sense.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

04-22-14 02:52PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I say we take this to it's logical extreme...

*NO TAKEOUTS ALLOWED EVER*

If you remove an opponents stone from play, the stones are reset, you must throw your remaining stones of the game with a stick, and your sweepers must use corn brooms for the remainder of the end.

That should guarantee 16 stones in play every end...what excitement!

04-27-14 05:29PM
gpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpl Click here to Send gpl a Private Message Find more posts by gpl Add gpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

I say you can't miss any shots. (the less shots you miss, the more likely you will win no matter what rules changes anyone comes up with)