Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 27 of 37 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-13 09:33PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Another TV coverage opininon...

Why not invite Sportsnet to come into the event and broadcast any games, in any rr draws that TSN does not want?

First off, that would certainly smarten up TSN. But it would also give Canadian curling fans another great option with another great crew (Mike Harris, Sheldon Cooper, Roger Millions)

CCA could enter into agreements with both broadcasters to spotlight curling and give fans more choice.

CCA also would gain far more revenue by having two casters going full tilt.

Having a second broadcast team also serves as backup in the event something happens technically to the lead broadcaster and the other guy is there to put on a show.

I really believe Sportsnet would put in a bid for secondary coverage, maybe CBC, too. And I certainly hope TSN wouldn't get their britches in a knot if this happened. Any thoughts folks?

This isn't a bad idea but I doubt it works - TSN won't want to lose numbers - you won't get more viewers, they'll just be split so TSN won't like that.

My issue with TSN is the game selection (maybe have some fan input with polls) and lack of updates. And if a skip makes a nice shot on another sheet that isn't last rock, why not show the replay and then show the last rock.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.224.222.211

02-22-13 09:35PM
Unregistered

Congratulations team manitoba 11-0. First team to do so since1985.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.85.186.225

02-22-13 09:51PM
Unregistered

I teared up seeing Kim Kelly shedding some tears. They played well in the end and I applaud that team for all their accomplishments. A little luck and a few breaks here and there and they'd have been contenders...likely not winning, but certainly to grab that bronze they wanted for points and a shot in pretrials. But at the end of the day, given everything, they did very well. Great showing gals

02-22-13 10:01PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

This isn't a bad idea but I doubt it works - TSN won't want to lose numbers - you won't get more viewers, they'll just be split so TSN won't like that.

This isn't the Leafs; there isn't the money here. You can't expect Rogers and Bell to buy the CCA to split up the curling rights.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-13 10:09PM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

If I was CCA guy responsible for TV negotiations I'd open up the bidding completely.

TSN has EXCLUSIVE broadcast rights for Seasons of Champions events through 2020 (across all media platforms). There are no negotiations to open up until this deal is over.

Realistically, I think there is way too small a market to support coverage of more than a single game at a time at any event. Even extended coverage on the web seems unlikely - curltv tried that and failed.

02-22-13 10:37PM
Unregistered

quote:
Kinda suprised Shumway crew didn't shake after JJ made her shot for a single in 9 to go FOUR UP.

However, Mighty Mouse (Lawes) has upped her percentages to over 80% after being in the high 50s earlier!

Shumway should have conceded imho. Probably gives Kaitlyn a chance to be the one who closes out business for the 11-0 record.

Idiot... They need to win... Yes it's 4 but it can happen. And it won't happen if you shake.

02-22-13 10:42PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Great Final Draw of the RR

A nice goodbye for Jones,Arsenault and Kelly
It's always kind of sad to say goodbye to the teams who didn't qualify.

+ Thrilling finish to CAN-ONT. I love that the crowd finally showed up tonight, hopefully it's that full for the weekend to cheer on Ontario!

So after 7 days it's as we thought, MAN,ONT,BC,CANADA in the playoffs. I hope to see some great close games.

02-22-13 10:45PM
dugless_zone 13

Does manitoba legend just yap to make noise? And why is he a legend?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.66.84.131

02-22-13 10:49PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:

Time to hang 'em up and play Seniors with Nancy.

Nancy (calling the game), Colleen (throwing LR), Marsha Sobey and Sally Saunders were NS Senior Champs in 2011 and 2012.

Former Canadian and World Senior champ Colleen Pinkney won this year, and Colleen missed the playoffs (4th in a 3 team playoff) while Kim was old enough to curl Senior THIS year (April 4, 1962), but did not.

02-22-13 11:09PM
Unregistered

quote:

Very nice accomplishment indeed. Only problem is Shumay barfed up a bad one. Didn't even give Jones a real test. The negatives for Jones is despite Askin & Officer curling nice 80 to 90+ games, Young Miss Lawes has begun her descent into curling purgatory, curling an atrocious 59% before curlcast crashed. Thats not a good sign, Jones appears very tired in the closeups they've shown, her rock placement has been average but assisted by a poor Sask'n team tonite.

Jenn can survive needs to win two more games, she can lose the 1-2 game, come back in the semi-final and get Homan in the final but I seriously doubt her chances unless Kaitlyn finds a way to curl 75% to 85% in the page. If she doesn't she'll be tormented by Miskew first and then probably Schraeder in the semi-final. Jones can win one game by trick shots and great shots but I doubt she'd be able to manufacture 2 wins to score her 5th Cdn title if Kaitlyn goes dark.

Lawes curled 83% pinhead

You should finish your diarrhea filled paragraphs with (ABJJ), like you do the tsn site.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.85.186.225

02-22-13 11:37PM
newbroom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newbroom Click here to Send newbroom a Private Message Find more posts by newbroom Add newbroom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newbroom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

My issue with TSN is the game selection (maybe have some fan input with polls) and lack of updates. And if a skip makes a nice shot on another sheet that isn't last rock, why not show the replay and then show the last rock.

My issue with TSN is the non stop nattering from Vic and Linda. Is there something wrong with some quiet time, let's watch the show on the ice. I'm sure some of Vic's questions/comments must drive Russ mad. Bring back Mike and Rich.

02-23-13 12:11AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:

If I was CCA guy responsible for TV negotiations I'd open up the bidding completely.
Networks could bid on full coverage, partial coverage or even use their extra stations (Sportsnet has several, TSN has two) to show some draws with two games)

CCA could get a picture of what two bids could do financially. Obviously your point about diluted overall coverage means they'd have to take into account some lowered ratings. But probably not that much as many fans would switch back 'n forth.

TSN and Sportsnet could also conduct their own draft lottery of games so both guys get some MONSTER GAMES and both have to televise a couple obligatory duds.

Jeeeeeshe: Here we have every draw covered from start to finish, the best and most profession host, 2 of the best (and least biased)color commentators in the business, last rock coverage on every game, highlights of extroardinary shots, the best audio with every player miked, and on and on.......and you want another network to cover curling???? That is the most absurd suggestion of your countless thousands of dumb posts I have seen.

Sure there were some dud games on prime time but do you think that is the fault of TSN or the fact that maybe there were 5-6 good teams and 6-7 also-rans this year? I think not TSN's fault and until they start seeding teams and pre-setting the draw, for the "favorites" to meet at prime time (which BTW will never happen) you may as well just suck it up and enjoy it. I for one do not long for the days of Donnie(the danger here) Duiduid and the CBC coverage having seen the TV coverage we have today.

It ain't broke and see no reason to fix it!

02-23-13 12:18AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Tap Back

Jeeeeeshe:

Frankly it is rather lame. Think NFL with a camera on a wire over the entire field.
A sheet of curling ice is much smaller, ergo, easier to do!
TSN is doing just enough to satisfy the lost sheep watching that think everything is just fine.
TSN wants to be a world class broadcaster. They should be inventing systems, not broadcasting the same way since Don Duguid was a threat.

02-23-13 12:31AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

Frankly it is rather lame. Think NFL with a camera on a wire over the entire field.
A sheet of curling ice is much smaller, ergo, easier to do!
TSN is doing just enough to satisfy the lost sheep watching that think everything is just fine.
TSN wants to be a world class broadcaster. They should be inventing systems, not broadcasting the same way since Don Duguid was a threat.

Not sure how a moving overhead camera would help but maybe it is something that could be done. Given enough money just about anything is possible ...like the NFL. Logistics in buildings likely would play a major part in doing something "off-the-wall" as that.

Do you have any TSN Brier videos from the 80's? I have some and look at them from time to time and there is absolutely no comparison of that product to what we have today. It has evolved and improved incredibly.

As an aside, I do think that the majority of viewers would resent the statement being called a lost sheep. I know I do.

02-23-13 03:54AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Either team will likely win the worlds this year for Canada.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I'd probably make either of them favourites, but not by a ton. Certainly, neither team would be better than 50/50 to win. You can't make anyone a prohibitive favourite at the women's worlds anymore. There will be six teams probably with legit shots to win.

02-23-13 08:17AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Lets see, it's a temporary site that is in place for a week as oppossed to a permanent purpose built venue where the cable system is in place year round. If you can't follow the play with what is in place now then there is probably no hope.

02-23-13 09:09AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I'd probably make either of them favourites, but not by a ton. Certainly, neither team would be better than 50/50 to win. You can't make anyone a prohibitive favourite at the women's worlds anymore. There will be six teams probably with legit shots to win.

And remember, Canada's recent experience at the World's hasn't been fantastic. Sure, Canada goes in as a favorite, but not the favorite. Of course the last time we won was in 2008 with Jenn and she will likely be the standard bearer this year too. But look out for the Swedes, Germans, Swiss and Russians.

And I wonder what the ice will be like at Riga? It sure hurt Jones' game in 2005 in Paisley.

02-23-13 09:14AM
greenroad
Drawmaster

The hockey folks tell us that the playoffs are the "New Season". Well, based on the Old Season I see a semi between Ontario and BC. BC has found form, Canada is not playing as well as it should and I don't think Homan can beat Jones.

02-23-13 09:42AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

And remember, Canada's recent experience at the World's hasn't been fantastic. Sure, Canada goes in as a favorite, but not the favorite. Of course the last time we won was in 2008 with Jenn and she will likely be the standard bearer this year too. But look out for the Swedes, Germans, Swiss and Russians.

And I wonder what the ice will be like at Riga? It sure hurt Jones' game in 2005 in Paisley.

thats the main unknown factor isnt it? what are the ice conditions in latvia? Jen won her lone world title on canadian soil and has her only other medal from a worlds on canadian soil

she's had her worst performances at worlds on european ice.

I cant imagine the ice conditions in latvia will be as good as they are in canada or even in switzerland or sweden

02-23-13 09:57AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Hope you are not including the US in that 6.

02-23-13 10:04AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Nedohin's volatility probably makes her the worst pick for a world championship as she's too often in the clouds and then for long periods in a funk. Gets too up on herself, likewise too down on herself.

Have to agree with you there. The theatrics can't all be a big act. Wonder if meds would help.

02-23-13 11:11AM
Unregistered

I'm on pins and needles waiting for the bronze medal game!!! Should be a good one. I sure hope they have a bronze at the trials, it will mean so much.
Who's your pic for the bronze winner?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.51.32.250

02-23-13 11:30AM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad
...I see a semi between Ontario and BC. BC has found form, Canada is not playing as well as it should and I don't think Homan can beat Jones.

It sure appears that BC is in better form than team Canada, though Canada played very well in the second half of the game against Ontario.

Just wondering, though: BC did not beat any of the other 3 playoff teams during the RR. While I don't think that necessarily says she can't beat any of them in the playoffs, I'm wondering about the role of style of play in those loses. Scott not only lost to the 3 most aggressive teams in the field, but she should have lost to the next most aggressive, PEI (that is, would have lost if not for Birt's fumbling).

BC may have finished well, but I don't see them going far in the playoffs, and personally am happy that 3 aggressive teams are still playing. Should be some fun games coming up!

02-23-13 11:44AM
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dewd

It sure appears that BC is in better form than team Canada, though Canada played very well in the second half of the game against Ontario.

Just wondering, though: BC did not beat any of the other 3 playoff teams during the RR. While I don't think that necessarily says she can't beat any of them in the playoffs, I'm wondering about the role of style of play in those loses. Scott not only lost to the 3 most aggressive teams in the field, but she should have lost to the next most aggressive, PEI (that is, would have lost if not for Birt's fumbling).

BC may have finished well, but I don't see them going far in the playoffs, and personally am happy that 3 aggressive teams are still playing. Should be some fun games coming up!

Have to agree for the most part. What has transpired so far has only seeded them for the playoffs though the extra life is nice in the 1-2 game.

I do think TC has something in the tank and could easily ramp it up and remember they are defending champs. Homan has not had much adversity so far and I wonder how Ont will react if things do no go as planned. I see Homan perhaps getting down a lttle at times (just body language observations) and the pressure is on now. Will see. If TC team give Heather adequate support, I see them taking down BC and likely taking on Ont after a loss so anything could happen. It is all about momentum and getting hot at this point.

02-23-13 11:49AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dewd

BC did not beat any of the other 3 playoff teams during the RR. While I don't think that necessarily says she can't beat any of them in the playoffs, I'm wondering about the role of style of play in those loses. Scott not only lost to the 3 most aggressive teams in the field, but she should have lost to the next most aggressive, PEI (that is, would have lost if not for Birt's fumbling).

This may be the smartest thing I've ever read here. Hadn't made that connection yet - a really fascinating point. I didn't get to see the BC-CAN or BC-ON round robin games, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the BC-MB game from early in the week, there were a whole lot of uncharacteristic misses from Scott's team. But as you suggest, BC is certainly vulnerable to the aggressive play of the other 3 teams. Can Team Canada stop the slide they've been on and get their way back to the championship final?

Despite ML's histrionics and bashing of Kaitlyn Lawes, I think she's held up remarkably well this week, with just the occasional brain-fart. Percentages drive me nuts, but there's certainly a reason she's led all thirds this week and had a strong +/- score as well according to an earlier TSN broadcast. (Does anyone have complete +/- stats?) Let's not forget that she was throwing fourth stones in the first half of the season and gained a lot of experience shouldering even more burden in playoff situations - she had very strong showings at the Canada Cup and I think will be in better mental condition to handle the playoff stress. She's been very impressive.

But something in the way Jones has played this week has me convinced she's the definite favourite heading into the playoffs. Both Homan and Nedohin had struggles last night, making mistakes that could be fatal against Jones (Homan struggled with her draw weight until nailing that beautiful shot for the win.) Jennifer has in the past shown the ability to win games just on sheer willpower alone (2005 final, 2008 round robin and tiebreaker) and she sure looks hungry and motivated right now. I wouldn't bet against her.

Last edited by doubletakeout on 02-23-13 at 12:11PM