Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-22-15 05:25PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

HPP Selections Announced

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...eason-announced

Thoughts?

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-22-15 06:21PM
SkipsWhoSayNi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkipsWhoSayNi Find more posts by SkipsWhoSayNi Add SkipsWhoSayNi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkipsWhoSayNi
Harvey Hacksmasher

They say it makes sense to take three Men’s’ teams, as three finished in the top 25 in OOM last year. Looks like they just made room for Fenson as they for damn sure wouldn’t leave Shuster out again.

Waiting for coaching selections.

05-22-15 06:49PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The unexpected increase to 3 teams for Men's is a surprise to me. Then expanding to 3 teams and not having room for Heater is very surprising.

Young Stopera looked very good at Junior Nationals, so I'm a little surprised he's not back on the team...but I'm not traveling with the team and stuff, so I'm unqualified to criticize. Interesting to see Mackenzie Lank not on the squad, but it's hard to say how much these youngsters are able to commit and remain on track with their normal lives.

Looks like the same cast for Ladies' with the addition of Jenna Haag. I've always been a fan of Jenna...first as a young Junior skip who looked like she might really grow into something special...then a the HPP lead who fully accepted her role on that team...now as fresh-out-of-Juniors curler looking for role. I hope she hasn't given up skipping forever. We lack skips and I hope she'll always be looking to explore her full potential there.

Ben Tucker

05-22-15 07:04PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by SkipsWhoSayNi
They say it makes sense to take three Men’s’ teams, as three finished in the top 25 in OOM last year. Looks like they just made room for Fenson as they for damn sure wouldn’t leave Shuster out again.

Waiting for coaching selections.

The announcement included the coaches as...

HPP coaches and support staff, who currently include Scott Baird (Bemidji, Minn.), John Benton (St. Michael, Minn.), Phill Drobnick (Eveleth, Minn.), Ann Swisshelm (Chicago), Wally Henry (Beaver Dam, Wis.), and Brian McWilliams (Green Bay, Wis.).

JH
Phils back to losing, some things are right in the world

05-22-15 07:49PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Wonder how the money works. The overall team size increases from 28 to 31. Does everybody get to play as much as last year? Or will the same pot of money be spread thinner?

Wonder what happened to Luc Violette, Sean Beighton, Heath McCormick, Alex Leichter, Mackenzie Lank, Andrew Stopera.

Shuster's entire team invited. Wow.

Wonder if Grace Gabower tried out again after what happened last year.

Bottom line: USA has many great curlers on its team. hope they play well and achieve the dream.

05-22-15 10:55PM
SkipsWhoSayNi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkipsWhoSayNi Find more posts by SkipsWhoSayNi Add SkipsWhoSayNi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkipsWhoSayNi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Those were the coaches listed as at the combine but who will replace Pete Fenson as coach, and who will they add for the extra Men's team.

05-22-15 11:05PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Don't think it should affect how much teams get to play, and on the men's side three teams of four means no fifths that travel to watch the games.

Maybe by meeting some of their milestones the USOC is planning to reward the HPP with a bump in their funding.

05-23-15 07:02AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Well, makes sense for 3 mens teams, including Shuster.

Interesting, McCormick (Heath) either didn't make the cut or didn't reapply.

05-23-15 09:54AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright Interesting, McCormick (Heath) either didn't make the cut or didn't reapply.

I was wondering/thinking the same thing.

Glad to see Shuster, George, Hamilton, and Landsteiner on the list.

Cool to see Fenson step down from coaching and get back on the ice too.

On the women's side, outside of the HPP, Erika Brown has pulled a Blues Brothers and gotten the band back together with Pottinger, Joraanstad, and Nicholson. A lot of talent and experience on that team, I could definitely see them doing what Shuster did this last season.

Overall, I'm excited to see what this next season will bring.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

05-23-15 08:13PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Imo

Wondering why Alex Carlson isn't in the program. She was the breakout star imo of nats last year.

05-25-15 11:39PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I have heard rumors that Heath McCormick chose not to reapply this year.

No idea about Alex Carlson. Not sure if she was even at the combine.

05-26-15 09:41AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

A workable set of selections on the men's side.

Bothers me that it *appears* that the team that won Women's Nationals last year got short shrift (assuming they applied)...you'd think they could have at least gotten a single look as opposed to the HPP bringing back the entire band...

05-26-15 11:03AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Bothers me that it *appears* that the team that won Women's Nationals last year got short shrift (assuming they applied)...you'd think they could have at least gotten a single look as opposed to the HPP bringing back the entire band...

I try to not respond to you AlanMacNeill, as you are basically a troll in all forms, but how can you be bothered by something that you don't even know if it happened?

05-26-15 11:13AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yet, you're addressing me....funny that.

Also, for the record, just because you disagree with me does not make me a troll. A Troll is one who posts what he posts specifically to elicit a negative response.

I post what I do out of a sincere belief that the Current Direction of the Sport is not healthy for it, nor for the US performance in it. You may disagree (correction...you obviously DO disagree), but that's not a bad thing, disagreement is healthy. Heck, you may even be right...however...the results thusfar do not seem to support that conclusion.

Regardless, it's quite simple...*if* the Current US Champions applied (which I do not know, as I am not privy to the list of applicants, and the only person I know who applied and did not get into at least the combine is Sean Murray, as he has stated that on this forum), then it seems that The Program is giving them short shrift when you consider that they just demonstrated their *at least* equivalence to the HPP teams by beating them in National Competition. It beggars belief that not a single member of the team that won is better than the 9 members who did not win...that's statistically unlikely as hell.

I withdraw my objections if the members of the team did not apply, as you can't hold a program responsible for not picking someone who did not put themselves in the pool.

Either way, however, I think the system is nonoptimal.

05-26-15 02:36PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

it seems that lots of people are getting uncomfortable with any sort of criticism of USA curling. the letter in the recent curling news, several comments in curlingzone, all the hand-wringing discussion about the HPP program during Emerging Sports' curling segment, etc.

now I find from reading Dean Gemmell's twitter feed that no USCA directors or HPP staff are willing to go onto his podcast to talk about any of the recent developments. and there is a LOT to discuss.

discussion and criticism of the USCA and its HPP program is good. it is NOT automatically disrespectful to those athletes who make an awesome commitment to raising USA's performance to podium level. good, honest discussion and criticism makes it more likely that their commitment will eventually turn into medals.

05-26-15 05:12PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I have more information to disseminate which was passed along to me anonymously.

Heath McCormick and Alex Leichter both reapplied to the program, and both were rejected. (Athletes already in the program do not participate in the combine.)

Brady Clark was invited to the combine just like last year, but also just like last year, declined to participate.

Sean Beighton and Luc Violette both withdrew from the program and elected not to reapply.

05-26-15 11:21PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
I have more information to disseminate which was passed along to me anonymously.

Heath McCormick and Alex Leichter both reapplied to the program, and both were rejected. (Athletes already in the program do not participate in the combine.)

Brady Clark was invited to the combine just like last year, but also just like last year, declined to participate.

Sean Beighton and Luc Violette both withdrew from the program and elected not to reapply.

Rejection of McCormick is surprising. He guided his team to the semifinals of the National (one of the grand slam events). In that competition, he won games against Shuster, Morris, Stoughton, and Howard. The grand slam events supposedly include the best of the best. I hope the HPP program took this into consideration when they made their decision.

05-26-15 11:21PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by rbi
now I find from reading Dean Gemmell's twitter feed that no USCA directors or HPP staff are willing to go onto his podcast to talk about any of the recent developments. and there is a LOT to discuss.

discussion and criticism of the USCA and its HPP program is good. it is NOT automatically disrespectful to those athletes who make an awesome commitment to raising USA's performance to podium level. good, honest discussion and criticism makes it more likely that their commitment will eventually turn into medals.

The USCA's primary problem is not the HPP (or any other policy or program). The problem is -- and always has been, IMO -- the utter lack of reasonable, open, and effective communication regarding the HPP (or any other policy or program).

It is so outrageously Kremlin-worthy as to beggar belief, and thus no one in Stevens Point should be surprised at the tea-leaf reading and conspiracy-theory mongering that results.

nom de broom

05-27-15 03:24AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

On "negative side effects" of elite programs see the item at the bottom of page 6 of the latest WCF President's Newsletter.
http://www.worldcurling.org/downloa...xGczJGbkRzUUZUV

Could someone pleaae explain how the "skip" of the WCF Athlete Commission was a national coach last year and this coming season, too? Is that normal practice for WCF?

05-27-15 09:06AM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

In looking at the link Alice, I noticed something vastly more important. At the very bottom of page 6 there is information on an upcoming Elite Coaching Symposium with topics that at spot on relevant to USA Curling.

Hope we are sending someone.

05-27-15 09:12AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Saw that.

Also saw it was limited to *one* coach from a given nation...that struck me as weird...I guess room size issues...

What I'm wondering though is, with the exception of the US, Canada, and Scotland...are there any nations that actually *HAVE* grassroots curling to *BE* diminished by the increasing professionalism of the game? China certainly doesn't, most of the Scandanavian nations only barely might...

Gonna be a real quiet symposium if there's only 3 attendees...

05-27-15 10:47AM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Saw that.

Also saw it was limited to *one* coach from a given nation...that struck me as weird...I guess room size issues...

What I'm wondering though is, with the exception of the US, Canada, and Scotland...are there any nations that actually *HAVE* grassroots curling to *BE* diminished by the increasing professionalism of the game? China certainly doesn't, most of the Scandanavian nations only barely might...

Gonna be a real quiet symposium if there's only 3 attendees...

If I remember correctly, Switzerland has approximately 200 curling clubs (granted, there's something like 6000 or so curlers).

05-27-15 03:04PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Okay, then at least there'll be 2 people in each of the two breakout sessions...that's better than I was fearing...kinda...not really...but kinda...

05-27-15 03:17PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

The "negative side effects" I was referring to was in that elite coaches item.

Woke up this morning to the news on the FIFA arrests complete with white sheets covering the latest perp walks. At least WCF and USCA haven't the money FIFA has and likely never will. But then, it means those with their own private funds or part of a revolving door of insiders have different opportunities.

Still never have found out which USA curling Olympian had an expenses paid trip to Squaw Valley to work a 49ers Foundation fundraiser at the Resort at Squaw Valley earlier this year. Maybe we won't find out who USCA sends to that elite coaches meeting, too!

'Twas nice to see on that page 6 the item about looking more closely at WCF policies on gifting and hospitality because abuse of that is what started the FiFA perps on their downhill slide.

Last edited by Alice on 05-27-15 at 03:21PM

05-27-15 03:53PM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
Still never have found out which USA curling Olympian had an expenses paid trip to Squaw Valley to work a 49ers Foundation fundraiser at the Resort at Squaw Valley earlier this year. Maybe we won't find out who USCA sends to that elite coaches meeting, too!

After looking at The Google I found this press release which states that part of the activities was a "Curling Bonspiel with Tracy Sachtjen and Natalie Nicholson".

Given the funding situation at the USCA and the deeper pockets of the 49ers Foundation, my expectation would be that the foundation, and not the USCA, paid for the trip. Given that I'd also expect the USCA to not issue a press release on the fundraiser.