Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Travel Annex: Where Go, Stay and Eat!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

Doesn't a win by Czechoslovakia put the US in a tiebreaker situation with Scotland, Czech Republic and possibly Switzerland? Space a press release by the USA curling says that they have been eliminated from playoff contention.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ter-Games-berth

Did the rules change?

Last edited by TJNCJ on 03-23-17 at 08:47AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-17 07:19AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Drawmaster

The WCF no longer breaks all ties "on the ice", they only break ties that can be resolved in a single tiebreaking draw (so a tie between 4th and 5th, for example, would be broken on the ice).

A 3 way tie (or a 4 way tie for one spot, or any other tiebreaker requiring multiple draws to resolve) is first seeded by head to head within the tied teams, then by LSD results, and then the top 2 play it out on the ice.

I believe the US has no road to top 2 in a 3 or 4 way tie for 4th, I believe as a result of H2H within the groups, they end up 3rd or 4th in those.

On the plus side, the Olympics is secured, that was the primary goal over the last 4 games.

Old Post 03-23-17 07:45AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

From http://www.worldcurling.org/downloa...xGc3NlRapVUq5UV, page 62 (PDF page 63):

3-way tie for 4th
1 2 3 4 5 6
Q Q Q X X XE

4 v 5; winner 4th; loser 5th; 6th eliminated and ranked 6th

4-way tie for 4th
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Q Q Q X X XE XE

4 v 5; winner 4th; loser 5th; 6th and 7th eliminated and ranked 6th and 7th by head-to-head

In order to get into a tie for 4th place, CZE must beat SCO, both of which beat USA. In a 3-way tie, CZE would be 2-0, SCO 1-1 and USA 0-2, and CZE and SCO would play for 4th place. USA 6th place.

If SUI also beats KOR, then there would be a 4-way tie for 4th, with the following records among tied teams: CZE 3-0, SCO 2-1, USA 1-2, SUI 0-3. USA 6th place.

If SCO beats CZE then USA in 5th place even if SUI beats KOR because of H2H win.

Old Post 03-23-17 08:04AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Won't happen because Science says this is good practice. Studies have taken place that strongly show how touch has power over decision-making and specifically how teams who make more physical contact play better as a team and are more successful.

NBA Basketball:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...e-they-win-more

More on the Power of Touch:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23mind.html

Yes, this world desperately needs even more 'experts' and 'studies' whose main purpose is to show how 'intelligent' psychology scholars are...
Sigh...

Sorry, but this practice of high-fiving - or 'touching' - each other when angry, upset, disappointed, etc. is very artificial, and, basically, pure nonsense. That people must 'train', or force, themselves to do this demonstrates how utterly unnatural and artificial it is.

But, in this world of Oprah Winfreys, Dr. Phils, and 'life coaches'(!), there will always be those who believe whatever 'experts' or 'studies' tell them to believe - and who follow along rather than trust and follow their own natural feelings and instincts. Hell, if 'studies' and 'experts' told them that they will have better success if they pick their noses whenever their instinct is to feel upset or disappointed, the followers would no doubt be burying their fingers in their nostrils.

Meanwhile, the truly intelligent psych scholars, I'm quite convinced, are laughing at all the those who are blindly following these ridiculous instructions.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-23-17 at 08:30AM

Old Post 03-23-17 08:12AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by TJNCJ
Doesn't a win by Czechoslovakia put the US in a tiebreaker situation with Scotland, Czechoslovakia and possibly Switzerland? Space a press release by the USA curling says that they have been eliminated from playoff contention.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ter-Games-berth

Did the rules change?

Czechoslovakia hasn't been part of any sports competition in nearly a quarter century...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Post 03-23-17 08:15AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Czechoslovakia hasn't been part of any sports competition in nearly a quarter century...

Tell my voice recognition that.

Old Post 03-23-17 08:44AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by TJNCJ

Tell my voice recognition that.

I could try... but it apparently wouldn't understand what I'm saying.

Old Post 03-23-17 08:49AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Korea laid a 5-egger on former world champion and current swiss champ Alina Paetz (aka Ladyhawke). How the heck does that happen? Has Paetz given up the ghost?

Russia looks to be sailing past deplorable China - on their way to a 1-2 confrontation with Miss Homan. The Russian program looked scattered and frayed earlier this week - but she's scrambled to restore a semblance of order to their program.

Scotland, knowing they have a tie-breaker locked up for playoffs is on a bit of a mope vs. Czech Rep. - but might be as much Kubesova emerging as a mid-pack powerhouse. Who knows? Everyone knows Eve's team isn't that stellar and she's a virtual 1-man band.

The Czechs are the surprise hit of this year's event.

China the biggest disappointment. OK, perhaps tied with Paetz!

Scotland the most curious!

Sweden, the team lacking the most killer instinct!

Canada having the most killer instinct.

Old Post 03-23-17 09:27AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Korea laid a 5-egger on former world champion and current swiss champ Alina Paetz (aka Ladyhawke). How the heck does that happen? Has Paetz given up the ghost?

Russia looks to be sailing past deplorable China - on their way to a 1-2 confrontation with Miss Homan. The Russian program looked scattered and frayed earlier this week - but she's scrambled to restore a semblance of order to their program.

Scotland, knowing they have a tie-breaker locked up for playoffs is on a bit of a mope vs. Czech Rep. - but might be as much Kubesova emerging as a mid-pack powerhouse. Who knows? Everyone knows Eve's team isn't that stellar and she's a virtual 1-man band.

China the biggest disappointment. OK, perhaps tied with Paetz!

Scotland the most curious!

Sweden, the team lacking the most killer instinct!

Canada having the most killer instinct.

no, not everyone "knows" eve is a one person team thats just something you think and like to say repeatedly. i've agreed anna is a weakness at third but vicki is great at 2nd and lauren has had a good first year playing lead.i think its to early to say where she measures among the top leads out there right now but from what i've seen she's a strong lead

for me switzerland's collapse has been unreal. from a 4-0 start to a likely 5-6 finish. thats 6 losses in their last 7 games. it seemed like paetz was back in form this year but here ..just unreal. looking at an 8th place finish. just at a total loss to figure out what happened with them

i kept expecting bingyu to get into gear but she never did. her team in front of her has been awful. in the games i saw it was always her . she was getting pretty much no support out there at any time

but the biggest surprise and disappointment by far might actually be denmark. gonna have either 1 or nor wins. now, this isnt a powerhouse team but this is a team far better than what they've shown here too. they've made the playoffs before, they are usually good for around 5 wins. this was a complete surprise for me

Last edited by misty1 on 03-23-17 at 09:46AM

Old Post 03-23-17 09:39AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

sigh. scotland had the winning 2 points set up and anna hits and rolls out. just another example of a terrible miss at a key time she's prone to making

Old Post 03-23-17 09:51AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

doesnt matter. eve makes a great draw around a center guard. pliskova wrecks on her last and eve has takeout for win

that doesnt prove your point about scotland being a 1 person team legend. scotland had it set up well until anna's miss.

Old Post 03-23-17 09:54AM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

NO Tiebreakers. No Switzerland! Sweden stumbled a bit more than expected. Scotland makes the usual push under pressure. Canada will not rest on laurels. Russia - dark horse.

Old Post 03-23-17 09:55AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Scotland vs. Sweden should be a slobber-nokker.

The Swedes have the more athletic and overall superior team - but like Joan McCusker says "there's NO QUIT in Eve Muirhead". I have to favour the team with the superior gunslinger at skip - as Hasselborg just isn't a killer, yet! If she's to win vs. Eve, it means Scotland threw up a stinker - and I don't think Eve will let that happen. In the round-robin, she really didn't whip her horses. Now, with a possible medal on the line - she most definitely will. . .

Russia vs. Canada - Anna has loosened up a bit from the pouty and severe woman we've seen in recent years; Rachel has really loosened up - she's almost at Jeff Stoughton friendly levels (ok, not quite that far). Canada is the more focussed team but Russia could surprise and serve up their game of the tournament, spilling Homan into the Sweden/Scotland pool.

Old Post 03-23-17 10:06AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

As they were at the most recent European Championships, where they finished 4th, and made the playoffs (ultimately finishing 4th overall). I believe they beat Moiseeva (winner of Europeans) en route.

The Kubeska-Kubeskova father-daughter partnership is definitely progressing nicely (Anna's dad is the team's coach).

Really tough loss today against Scotland, though... Czechs were ahead by 1 going into the 10th, Scotland with Hammer... Only stone in the House when Eve comes to throw her first is a Czech stone in back 12 foot. Eve draws to the top 4 foot, nicely around her own guard about 3-4 feet in front of the House. Seems to be well hidden.
Kubeskova then with her last has to either make a nearly impossible perfect draw to the side button (she can only draw on the side the Scottish shot rock is on), or try to paper the guard ever so closely to take out the Scot stone. She chooses the latter, but wrecks on the guard, tapping the guard into the top 12 foot, and rolling her shooter to the back 12, where it taps the other Czech stone out, but remains for 2nd shot rock.
Because she tapped the Scot guard into the House, though (3rd shot), all Eve has to do on her last is take out the Czech stone in the back 12 foot - doesn't matter if she stays or rolls out. Eve isn't going to miss that (and didn't).
Scotland scores 2 in 10 to win it 7-6.

Got to feel bad for the Czechs - but they've shown in the past few years that they will build on the experience and come back stronger.

Great to see that Denmark won their last game...

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-23-17 at 10:35AM

Old Post 03-23-17 10:26AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

I could try... but it apparently wouldn't understand what I'm saying.

Old Post 03-23-17 10:36AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
Won't happen because Science says this is good practice.

"Science" also says just because something works for some people doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Old Post 03-23-17 11:05AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

If teams want to support each other I don't see what harm it does. It's about keeping up energy an encouraging each other. Not beyond does it but that's fine

Seems a small thinng to be bothered by

Old Post 03-23-17 11:38AM
Three
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
If teams want to support each other I don't see what harm it does. It's about keeping up energy an encouraging each other. Not beyond does it but that's fine

Seems a small thinng to be bothered by

I know I'm not bothered by it. I brought it up because Cheryl finally pointed out just how dumb it is. I get a good laugh every time I see it. "Yup, we just had a really bad shot but let's high five each other." Only some women's teams do this .... no High Fives if Team Homan misses no doubt. They touch BEFORE a shot to encourage each other which makes complete sense. Homan always gets a low five from either Lisa or Joanne on the way to the hack. I get positive re-enforcement and bonding with team mates but to high five after a complete miss is pretty funny. Of course teammates should encourage each other after a miss but it should be verbal or if physical at least not a high five. To each their own but I find it very humorous indeed.

It's funny to imagine any male curlers doing this, even more funny to imagine it in other sports. Say a goalie gives up a crucial goal late in the third period of a playoff game....then imagine the goalie and the defenceman high fiving each other (Cherry would explode and the twitter machine would go crazy wiht a meme), or a wheel changer on a race car teams screws up the pit stop by missing a lug nut and the whole pit crew high fives each other after the car leaves 10 seconds later. Ridiculous.

Old Post 03-23-17 12:38PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Drawmaster

You must hate volleyball and doubles tennis then...they get together after every shot...

it serves a purpose in a team sport, it lets the person who just flubbed know "it's cool, we got your back, we've been there, let's concentrate on the next one".

Old Post 03-23-17 12:40PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
You must hate volleyball and doubles tennis then...they get together after every shot...

it serves a purpose in a team sport, it lets the person who just flubbed know "it's cool, we got your back, we've been there, let's concentrate on the next one".

You are right, I did not think of those sports. Funny how it is "accepted" standard practice in those sports but would be crazy in others. There are other ways of communicating the thoughts of "it's cool, we got your back." The day I see a Ryder Cup alternate shot competitor put one in the drink and then high five his partner the world will end for sure.

Old Post 03-23-17 01:04PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Hitting Paint

After missing the first free throw basketball players usually reach out and touch the guy who missed but it is not a high five, just a very low hand touch which makes far more sense then a high five. I am used to High Fives being reserved for good plays and this is true in most sports.

Old Post 03-23-17 01:09PM