Japan (EE)
Denmark 10  Final
Spain (8)
Estonia Final
Italy (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2016 Manitoba Viterra Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-14-16 01:06PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
hotrocks and rick8

this site is for us and is supported by us - you clowns with no morals areentitled to your opinions as we are

kevin martin just said he shouldnt have been playing if he wasnt going to the brier

Happy for both Matt and Mike's teams.

Kevin Martin is not always right either.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-14-16 01:10PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
hotrocks and rick8

this site is for us and is supported by us - you clowns with no morals areentitled to your opinions as we are

kevin martin just said he shouldnt have been playing if he wasnt going to the brier

You're entitled to your opinion, as are we. So cut out this "supporters of the site' stuff. That's irrelevant. We all support curling.

My comment is simple, curling evolves and there are rules changes and things that happen that are unexpected. You have two ways of looking at the possibility that Dunstone may win this afternoon. You can live in the past and say 'woe is me'. Or you can realize that Matt Dunstone was fully entitled to enter this event, and then to choose which event he will go to if he wins. Neither the World Junior Championship, nor the Brier, will be irreparably damaged by what may happen in Manitoba...as much as you may wish to suggest so.

I celebrate the young team's accomplishment and think that's a tough choice they may have to make. You censor them out of the event because they won the Canadian Juniors. Therefore lets's penalize them and deny them the berth they legitimately earned to this event'. If this happened in ANY province, I would say 'isn't that cool that a young rink could pull off that daily double'. Your response is 'tut, tut, that should never be allowed to happen. How scandalous.' So much for the excitement of watching how brilliant a young team may be.

I do agree with you that you are entitled to your wet blanket opinion. I just disagree that we should eliminate the excitement of extremely rare occurrences like this.

02-14-16 01:19PM
farmcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for farmcurl Click here to Send farmcurl a Private Message Find more posts by farmcurl Add farmcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
farmcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

McEwen has beat, Lyburn, Dunstone and Carruthers. It's not like he is backing into the Briar he beat all the top teams. If Lyburn Carruthers or any other team wanted to go maybe they shouldn't have lost 2 games.

A lot of the teams who go to the Briar never have no chance at winning it so should they just not play in their provincial championship since they have no shot winning at the Briar? No because there is pride in being the best in your province or territory. For Kevin Martin his goal was to win the Briar/Worlds. For Dunstone it is to win the World Junoirs and Provincial title. Each team has different goals.

The provincials is to determine the best team in the province, so if Dunstone is wins he is the best team. To DQ him because he won't go to the Briar is silly.

02-14-16 01:28PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
no tv. what kind of 4ender was it. was carruthers cavalier or were there lots of misses or was it an unbelievalbe shot by dunstone?

and.. to weigh in - i have no prob with dunstone making the final - and runner up / winner going to brier. what is the big deal. Good for Matt n team. Lucky for Mikey's four. Interesting, not criminal nor unethical. Memorable, and cool, really. Who is getting "hurt" here? The ones who LOST to Matt? Don't think so.

Will appreciate recap of 4 ender.

A lot of misses from Carruthers team. Carruthers had a chance to get out of it with his last if he had frozen to a back stone that was covered, but he was a bit short. It still looked like he wasn't gonna give up more than 2 (even Stoughton thought he'd made it well enough), but Dunstone made a perfect back-line tap on the Carruthers stone that pushed it just past the back stone.

This is not a big deal to me, but to the question of who is getting hurt, the answer is the fans. The fans want to see a final that means something. Absolutely, good for Matt and team. But wouldn't it be more memorable and cool if they were facing McEwen for the right to go to the Brier? Now, it's just for the Manitoba Championship. Not nothing, but not nearly as important. And wouldn't it be cool and interesting to see if McEwen can finally win a game to go to the Brier? As I say, it doesn't really bother me, but I think there is a legitimate argument for why it would bother some.

Last edited by peteski on 02-14-16 at 01:31PM

02-14-16 01:29PM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ah, but if he McEwen loses, he will go to the Brier, but still not have his name on the Manitoba Tankard. Dunstone would have his name on the Tankard but may never get to a Brier. The ironies are delicious

Last edited by Frozencanuck on 02-14-16 at 01:32PM

02-14-16 01:31PM
farmcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for farmcurl Click here to Send farmcurl a Private Message Find more posts by farmcurl Add farmcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
farmcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

The bad decision being that they let Dunstone get great practice/expierience for the World Junoirs and do Manitoba Curling proud. Also letting one of the best teams in the province having a chance at winning the provincials?

Pretty shameful stuff.

02-14-16 01:34PM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
this isnt about dunstone - its about a bad decision by the mca
Exactly Fresca! MCA has egg on their face-complete miss management allowing a team to play that will walk away from repping their province if they win. Mcewen and Dunstone may as well have a beer chugging contest to decide our "Manitoba Champ".

02-14-16 01:40PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Where were you naysayers last year. The exact same situation existed with Bradon Calvert's entry. I guess the difference is that he didn't have the audacity to win the event.

As for this afternoon's game not being exciting, man you must be a real curling fan chinabar. It will still be very exciting to see if the young powerhouse team can keep it up against one of the world's best against McEwen. Thank goodness people like you don't run curling. We wouldn't have a free guard zone...it would create too much excitement..

02-14-16 01:40PM
Loose Rock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loose Rock Click here to Send Loose Rock a Private Message Find more posts by Loose Rock Add Loose Rock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loose Rock
Knee-Slider

Kevin Martin is right on this one

(No dis respect to Mike and Matt)

Get your tickets for the big finally!
Can Mike handle the pressure this year and play his way to the Brier.
Will the young upstarts crush Mikes dream again.
Sponsors pay your TV dollars for use people watch at home.

What! Oh never mind its meaningless.
Stay at home, turn the golf.

02-14-16 01:49PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Fresca.. You go back many years. When did this circumstance last happen in Manitoba? How can you blame MCA for something that has likely not happened in the last 100 years and may not happen in another 100 years. Plus, Matt hasn't won yet. Given the rarity of the situation, in my opinion it would be a crime to deny Matt all the potential benefits to him and curling Manitoba by changing a rule that would benefit nobody. As always, the best team will likely continue to represent Manitoba .

02-14-16 01:53PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Training event?

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

coming from their own mouths they are using this as nothing but a way to keep in shape for the world juniors

Remember when you said this Dunstone team wasn't anything special? They just manhandled one of the best 10 teams in the world in one of the most important stages. I hope you've changed your opinion.

The level of confidence this team would have gained this week is massive. Not to mention the fact that their opponents will know that this team made the finals in arguably the most difficult Men's Province is huge to the psyche.

Ideally Mike wins this final. Just to eliminate the vitriol the Dunstone team will unfairly receive.

nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Very Exciting Manitoba Championships. Very interesting finale. To have a Junior team in the final bodes well for our province. It can not be prevented, and is a GOOD outcome! MCA didn't screw up by providing solid Junior events and creating a champion who can mess it up with the big boys. They succeeded. This is a wonderful WINNERS' scenario. Fans will get a GREAT game, exciting outcome. Fresca - I usually lean your way, but .. really? Proud to be a MB Curler.

misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well congrats to mcewen on finally getting to the brier. would be nice if he actually had to win to get there

very anticlimactic final.

got to be a very funny feeling fore mike and the team knowing they dont have to win

of course mcewen could win and render this all moot.but the argument and the problem is that he doesnt have to and you should have to.sending the runner up kind of defeats the purpose of the event in the first place

Last edited by misty1 on 02-14-16 at 01:56PM

02-14-16 01:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Training event?

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck

Remember when you said this Dunstone team wasn't anything special? They just manhandled one of the best 10 teams in the world in one of the most important stages. I hope you've changed your opinion.

The level of confidence this team would have gained this week is massive. Not to mention the fact that their opponents will know that this team made the finals in arguably the most difficult Men's Province is huge to the psyche.

Ideally Mike wins this final. Just to eliminate the vitriol the Dunstone team will unfairly receive.

when did i ever say they were nothing special? find that for me and when you cant kindly shut your mouth and refrain from putting words in mine

Last edited by misty1 on 02-14-16 at 02:01PM

02-14-16 01:59PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

How many games has Mike lost this week?.

02-14-16 02:08PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

I realize that some see this as wrong, and while my comments may not reflect it, I respect differing opinions. I just have a problem with the angst about this situation because the sport of curling needs exciting things to happen. Yes, you could have the status quo, two Grand Slam curlers meeting yet again for a provincial title. Or you can have something very rare and in my view exciting - a 20-year-old team trying to pull off a major upset and actually win both the Canadian Junior championship and a provincial men's championship in the same year. There are more and more participants from the junior ranks participating in provincial championships and that is such a good thing. The solution to this problem lies with the CCA - don't schedule the Brier at the same time as the World Juniors given this new trend.

02-14-16 02:14PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
I realize that some see this as wrong, and while my comments may not reflect it, I respect differing opinions. I just have a problem with the angst about this situation because the sport of curling needs exciting things to happen. Yes, you could have the status quo, two Grand Slam curlers meeting yet again for a provincial title. Or you can have something very rare and in my view exciting - a 20-year-old team trying to pull off a major upset and actually win both the Canadian Junior championship and a provincial men's championship in the same year. There are more and more participants from the junior ranks participating in provincial championships and that is such a good thing. The solution to this problem lies with the CCA - don't schedule the Brier at the same time as the World Juniors given this new trend.

it is good to have juniors participate. and i have said already im a fan of this team. its the just that the situation bugs me and it creates a kind of odd atmosphere or feeling to the final.

if he could actually go to the brier there would be problem.

its just hard for me in my case to watch a match in a final where the outcome doesnt matter. its like when you watch a game in any sport in tape delay and knowing the result before hand.

02-14-16 02:17PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end

I don't think anyone is upset to see Dunstone in the final. That's great. The problem is that the final has lost much of it's importance because he won't go to the Brier either way. In my opinion it makes it less exciting, not more. If Dunstone was facing McEwen to decide who goes to the Brier, than yes, it would be very compelling.

02-14-16 02:21PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Training event?

quote:

when did i ever say they were nothing special? find that for me and when you cant kindly shut your mouth and refrain from putting words in mine

During the junior championships you said this Dunstone team wasn't much better than the other teams and that you didn't think they would win. When i think it was pretty obvious that they were much better, and that this is one of the best junior teams we have ever seen.

I think one difference you will see with this team is that they will stay together. They are all technically strong. Most junior teams disband, or only parts of the team stay together. This team has no weaknesses.

02-14-16 02:25PM
Ajay
Drawmaster

Matt is hot today and Mike will need to be at his best to win. Nevertheless, for years now we in Manitoba have been proud of his accomplishments, we have read many times he is the best in the world, been runner up in provincials 5/6 times, and the best curler to have never been to the briar. I for one am ecstatic that he can finally go, regardless of the circumstances that is a win/win for everybody. (Except for a few posters)

02-14-16 02:27PM
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I don't think anyone is upset to see Dunstone in the final. That's great. The problem is that the final has lost much of it's importance because he won't go to the Brier either way. In my opinion it makes it less exciting, not more. If Dunstone was facing McEwen to decide who goes to the Brier, than yes, it would be very compelling.

I think if you're a Manitoba curling purist at heart you want the best MB team representing. And for many years our best hope for a Brier was Mcewen. Now we have gotten that. Maybe the way he got there was ugly. But we are sending our best representative. I doubt anyone will be complaining if Mikey runs the field and next year we have two MB teams in it.

02-14-16 02:28PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Training event?

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck

During the junior championships you said this Dunstone team wasn't much better than the other teams and that you didn't think they would win. When i think it was pretty obvious that they were much better, and that this is one of the best junior teams we have ever seen.

I think one difference you will see with this team is that they will stay together. They are all technically strong. Most junior teams disband, or only parts of the team stay together. This team has no weaknesses.

how does that equate to saying they are nothing special. again, dont put words in my mouth

i picked BC to win the whole thing, never at any time did i say they woudlnt win. once they got to the final i said they'd win.

02-14-16 02:33PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Training event?

quote:

how does that equate to saying they are nothing special. again, dont put words in my mouth

i picked BC to win the whole thing, never at any time did i say they woudlnt win. once they got to the final i said they'd win.

First off, here's what you said in the junior thread:

"The thing there is that manitoba is not that much better than everyone else that they could have done that. british columbia and northern ontario are both very good teams as well. i picked BC to win and i called a bc /manitoba final but i did think northern ontario would also be in the picture..didnt think they'd finish first though."

So you essentially said they're "nothing special" and second to that, you actually predicted that Northern Ontario would win the junior final once the MB vs. NO final was set.

You are just back-peddling trying to save face after some sujective and short-sighted comments.

02-14-16 02:35PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Training event?

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong

First off, here's what you said in the junior thread:

"The thing there is that manitoba is not that much better than everyone else that they could have done that. british columbia and northern ontario are both very good teams as well. i picked BC to win and i called a bc /manitoba final but i did think northern ontario would also be in the picture..didnt think they'd finish first though."

So you essentially said they're "nothing special" and second to that, you actually predicted that Northern Ontario would win the junior final once the MB vs. NO final was set.

You are just back-peddling trying to save face after some sujective and short-sighted comments.

LOL, that in no way is saying they are not anything special. i suggest you let this go because i dont much appreciate people putting words in my mouth .

its all fina and good to take a quote without the full context of what was being said to try and prove a point. that post was a response to a poster who said he thought they'd go undefeated and basically breeze his way through

Last edited by misty1 on 02-14-16 at 02:41PM

02-14-16 02:40PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: He did win..

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks

Team McEwen went 6-0 to get to the final
Team Dunstone went 5-2....

Team McEwen are actually lucky to be challenged by a Team of Dunstone's calibre.... he will have to beat him next year to get to the Brier..

Loved the excellent curling of Matt Dunstone..
bring back the world title Matt..

perfectly aware of their records coming in .not sure what point thats supposed to make