Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 6 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-19-15 04:31PM
Junior is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Junior Click here to Send Junior a Private Message Find more posts by Junior Add Junior to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Junior
Harvey Hacksmasher

Brad Gushue Sweeping

What is everybody's opinions on Brad Gushue's teams new sweeping method? Only using one sweeper when the calling for line, and using both sweepers when calling for weight?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-19-15 09:17PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

In my opinion, if they knew what they were doing, they would be one of the top teams in the world. You would see them on TV sometimes. They would win money on tour. And so on ...

In other words: I was never such a strong sweeper that I didn't feel I needed any help. But who am I to criticize? If it works for them, then it works. They wouldn't do it if they thought it was stupid.

09-19-15 09:45PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Umm..finals of the first Grand Slam. So, they must be doing something wrong.

09-19-15 09:47PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

@Par

In your opinion ''if they knew what they were doing, they would be one of the best team in the world.''

I guess that ranking #3 on the WCT Order of Merit is not good enough for you?

09-19-15 10:07PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

With proven superiority of downstroke, wonder if the Goo will be first to try 2 sweepers same side? Early days but perhaps next evolution in sweeping, esp for hits.Athletes are certainly good enough to do it. The Gushue trial makes sense as 80% of sweep efficiency is from closest broom. Interesting to see how long they continue to use it. They are not doing it on a whim I'm sure.

09-20-15 09:23AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know.. to me it didnt seem to make any kind of difference at all in their shots.

09-20-15 11:06AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

The great thing about sweeping is nothing has ever been proven on what actually happens. Yes, I know that there have been studies on warming the ice, differences 3rd sweepers make, brush head pressure, speed, etc. But, there hasn't been any studies absolutely proving the most effective result with sweeping. I will hold off my opinion on Gushue's team sweeping until I hear from them why they are doing it. The TV commentators never actually told us why. I have heard that they are saving the sweepers, not wanting to cancel the line, to forming a groove, to preserving the pebble, etc.
One thing I do know, is just because a team does something doesn't mean that is the reason they win. If that were the case, then all the other 99.99% of the teams would be losing. It may be a factor, but, I still want to know from them why they are doing it.

09-21-15 09:58AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

I have not seen any coverage of the single sweeper sweeping for line, so I cannot comment from observation. But as I think about it, I feel like it make sense. I have always felt like that many times when when sweeping for line only, the rock ends up deeper that you would like (especially for tight lines with rocks near the house rather than long guards). And at the elite level, when they sweep for line, they are normally sweeping for a slightly tight line, meaning they are trying to prevent a small 1/2" or 1" of curl. Its not like they are league hacks who sweep for line and pray that the sweepers can correct a rock that is thrown a full half a rock tight on line.

So I think that the idea has some logical merit to it. BUT, as I think about it, I have seen all of these styles of sweeping:

1 person cleaning the ice
2 people cleaning the ice
1 person sweeping hard
2 people sweeping hard
1 person sweeping hard and the second person cleaning

Then take all of those factors, and combine the permutations of sweepers using synthetic pads or hair pads, and which is closer or further from the rock

Interesting that there are so many techniques, and no one truly knows when to use which one, its all educated hunches.

09-21-15 11:51AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Itsjustagame
@Par

In your opinion ''if they knew what they were doing, they would be one of the best team in the world.''

I guess that ranking #3 on the WCT Order of Merit is not good enough for you?

No, no! I was kidding. I am saying: Clearly they are one of the best teams in the world, and if they think it's a good idea, who am I to argue with them?

09-21-15 12:21PM
ManitobaJunior is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ManitobaJunior Click here to Send ManitobaJunior a Private Message Find more posts by ManitobaJunior Add ManitobaJunior to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ManitobaJunior
Knee-Slider

I think at one point during the final Gushue even said something to the effect of ``it just isnt effective``. Now i don`t know if he was refering to the sweeping but it was after one of his missed shots so it will be interesting to see if they continue with the one sweeper.

09-21-15 01:10PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Perhaps with such smal margins Gushue believes the front sweeper slightly offsets the stratening effect of closer brush? Great things to try and good for them sticking to it. Four finals and two wins so far, not bad!

09-21-15 05:19PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by shaqdaddy
Perhaps with such smal margins Gushue believes the front sweeper slightly offsets the stratening effect of closer brush? Great things to try and good for them sticking to it. Four finals and two wins so far, not bad!
?

What is "stratening"?

09-21-15 05:30PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Straightening

09-24-15 06:54PM
RandyPark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RandyPark Click here to Send RandyPark a Private Message Visit RandyPark's homepage! Find more posts by RandyPark Add RandyPark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RandyPark
Knee-Slider

Measuring sweeping effectiveness

quote:
Originally posted by dks
The great thing about sweeping is nothing has ever been proven on what actually happens. Yes, I know that there have been studies on warming the ice, differences 3rd sweepers make, brush head pressure, speed, etc. But, there hasn't been any studies absolutely proving the most effective result with sweeping...

We are currently developing an instrument to do exactly that. SweepTracker is a patent pending device that pushes a rock along the ice while measuring the force it takes to keep the rock moving at a constant speed. Sweeping in front of the rock reduces the friction and the force. SweepTracker gives instant feedback as well as storing the data for later analysis. (There are pictures at http://www.SweepTracker.ca)
It is a challenging project (made more difficult by developing it during the summer, when curling ice is hard to find) but we have demonstrated that we can clearly measure the effect of sweeping. At this point we are working on accuracy and repeatability of the measurements; the condition of the ice has a large effect.
We plan to initially offer clinics for teams to be able to measure sweeping techniques and equipment, starting this fall. At this point, we are looking for people who are interested in experimenting and who can provide access to practice ice within an hour or so of Toronto. (My home club doesn't have ice in yet.) I can be contacted at rp@trackercurling.com
Randy Park

09-25-15 01:30PM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Interesting about your rock study, but, the link in your reply doesn't work for me. How much ice time are you looking for?

09-27-15 08:24AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

What is going on right now is a major shift in how the game is played due to the change in fabric used on brushes. The thing that makes the Hardline brushes so effective is the **more effective** fabric that allows teams to affect the line of shots much more than ever before.

BalancePlus has put similar fabric into play on some of their LiteSpeed brushes and now Goldline has got the same thing in place for their competitive teams at the Point Optical in Saskatoon.

The result of this fabric is so effective it allows teams to totally control shots, taking draw that would normally curl 4 foot straight down the ice. It also allows teams to call sweeping later on line shots like hits and rolls and shots around guards, essentially reacting immediately to brushing.

Gushue's team is likely one to really study the effectiveness of sweeping, and the reason for a single sweeper is that the 2nd sweeper on opposite side actually counters the works the sweeper in front of the stone is doing, making the sweeping less effective overall.

It's a huge shift in the game that not everyone is happy with. Players don't have to throw it as good anymore, just be close and never be outside the brush on a shot.

** EDIT ** - Corrected to reflect the fabric is still multi-directional, but affects ice differently.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

09-27-15 10:24PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hardline pioneered this but anybody can now buy these brooms. Their research I believe showed warming top of pebble is better than driving the material down between the pebble as most brush heads do Hence actually damaging the ice less. I'm an aggressive front ender, bought an Ice Pad last year.....no way I'd switch back! Next move is two guys, same side to hold line, then one pivots to "hi" side to finish the curl with down stroke!

09-28-15 07:57AM
Toronto_curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toronto_curler Click here to Send Toronto_curler a Private Message Find more posts by Toronto_curler Add Toronto_curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toronto_curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Gerry mentioned that the new "directional" fabric vs a cross-threaded fabric is what appears to be making the difference. Could anybody expand on this idea - or point to another explanation? I don't quite understand how the difference in the stitching can be so important.

For instance, I don't always sweep holding my Hardline broom in the same orientation (unlike one might with a hair broom, where there is a clear "front" and "back" side).

Cheers.

09-28-15 10:25AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

It's not smoother but more effective fabric that creates micro-scratches on the ice instead of warming the pebble. From what I've witnessed it doesn't ruin the ice if used properly (one effective brush, one other brush such as hair or less aggressive cloth).

They are a huge benefit to club curlers who now generate more control over their shots, but not so much it becomes automatic. The question is that at the elite level is it taking too much of the skill out of shotmaking and that they're TOO good?

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

09-28-15 10:44AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Toronto_curler
Gerry mentioned that the new "directional" fabric vs a cross-threaded fabric is what appears to be making the difference. Could anybody expand on this idea - or point to another explanation? I don't quite understand how the difference in the stitching can be so important.

For instance, I don't always sweep holding my Hardline broom in the same orientation (unlike one might with a hair broom, where there is a clear "front" and "back" side).

Cheers.

Been corrected on this, it's not so much the directional fabric as Hardline has a cross-hatched material, but the effectiveness of the fabric.

09-28-15 02:54PM
McLean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McLean Click here to Send McLean a Private Message Find more posts by McLean Add McLean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McLean
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
are there any opinions on how much it reduces the curl ?

10% , 50% or 90% ????????????????

is it affected by weight of curler 200 pounder with most of his weight concentrating on the spot in front of the rock - or probably it is more affected by the speed of the sweeping that causes heat and allows the rock to hydrofoil ..

if it eliminates the curl it will be huge trouble for the game

Yikes! a hydrofoil on a rock? That would definitely damage the ice.

09-28-15 07:51PM
McLean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McLean Click here to Send McLean a Private Message Find more posts by McLean Add McLean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McLean
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was always under the impression that a hydrofoil was using foils under the hull of a boat to lift the out of water to reduce surface tension. It's basically a wing under the boat. The hydrofoil boats I've been on have been that, but perhaps the term can be used more broadly that I haven't heard of.

09-29-15 10:05AM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

In golf, nobody cares about WHY a driver is better than another or if it's good for the game. You just go out and get it.

With so many teams WINNING using the Hardline broom these days, it only makes sense to get one the same way we all got the Hammer and then the Performance Brush when they were the best thing out there. The same way that we don't use corn brooms and Rink Rats any more

Game changer, perhaps. How is that a bad thing?

09-29-15 02:48PM
dks
Hitting Paint

I'm in favor of using the best equipment out there too, but, one always has to factor in the sponsorship aspect when it comes to equipment used by certain teams. I don't know which broom is the best, but, I'm pretty sure MOST teams would switch equipment if they got a better sponsorship deal. Stating that one team has won because of the equipment is stretching it. I'm willing to bet all the teams that have won so far would have won using any type of broom.

09-29-15 03:38PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I'm in favor of using the best equipment out there too, but, one always has to factor in the sponsorship aspect when it comes to equipment used by certain teams. I don't know which broom is the best, but, I'm pretty sure MOST teams would switch equipment if they got a better sponsorship deal. Stating that one team has won because of the equipment is stretching it. I'm willing to bet all the teams that have won so far would have won using any type of broom.

I think it all depends.

Will a team win just because of their broom? Probably not. Will a better broom make up for poor fundamentals or bad strategy? Of course not. Can you sweep a light stone further with a PVC club broom than a corn broom? Yes. Can you take that same stone even further with a Norway or EQ pad on a carbon fiber shaft than with that PVC broom? Definitely.

My point is that obviously we're talking about brooms that are relatively equal. At the top level, when there is so much parity when it comes to talent and skill, every advantage you can get helps. Incremental advantages are that much more important, especially in a game that literally comes down to inches at times.

It says something when a year ago only a handful of teams were using the IcePad, now that number has increased significantly and both Balance Plus and Goldline are using the same technology. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I think this shows that there is more to it than Hardline giving teams a better deal than they had previously (not saying that they are or aren't, I'm just responding to the point dks made). Like Gerry said, this looks like a game changer when it comes to sweeping.

That being said, I do agree that all things being equal I think most teams will go where the best deal is. I think with this new head technology though the bar has been raised and what was once equal is no more.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com