Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 14 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-10-17 10:14AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Game of All -

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Russ was just a passenger on the Goo Ship Lolipop!

If you're gonna throw Johnny Mope into the pile - may as well add Mark Nichols!

Are you kidding- just a passenger? The Olympic Gold medal in NL is all due to Russ!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-10-17 10:22AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Game of All -

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Are you kidding- just a passenger? The Olympic Gold medal in NL is all due to Russ!

Decade, you needed to recognize Manitoba Loser trolling us ....

04-10-17 10:32AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

These sweeping violations aren't new. Replay any televised game and you will find several instances where sweeping rules were technically broken. Every team does it, and as I mentioned in the USA thread, it's a matter of playing within accepted norms.

How many sports are there without rules that are have tolerances before they're called? By the book, you could call holding on every play in football; traveling and/or carrying/palming the ball in basketball; holding, grabbing, flopping in soccer; the variable strike zone and being in the zip code of second base on double plays in baseball; marking and replacing of balls in golf, etc.

The problem is that for most sports there are officials (and for golf, people sitting at home watching on TV) who call penalties or fouls when someone goes beyond the accepted tolerances.

04-10-17 10:45AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

sadly I missed the curling match on T.V.

BUT I knew the outcome would be this nice, I just what to say that finally NO MORE having to listen to"Mr COMMERCIAL" Vic Rauter until next curling season

04-10-17 10:52AM
gushuechamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gushuechamp Click here to Send gushuechamp a Private Message Find more posts by gushuechamp Add gushuechamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I wouldnt go as far as to say all due, but yes Russ was a huge part of it. The coming years would show Brad still had some learning to do how to skip a winning combination on his own. Russ would have never let him make that crazy call in the 7th or 8th end that cost him and his team the Brier title in 2007 vs Russ's brother.

04-10-17 10:55AM
gushuechamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gushuechamp Click here to Send gushuechamp a Private Message Find more posts by gushuechamp Add gushuechamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Brad was on fire for the Brier...the whole team was totally focused, I had no doubt they would win. Teams practice to peak for certain events...i.e. Jones & Jacobs for the Olympics. Homan for the Worlds this year. While I would love to see Canada win the World Men's this year, I have a feeling it will be Edin. JMO.

Totally wrong just as I ensured you would be.

04-10-17 10:57AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Mostly due to Russ yes, while brad is a good shooter, a better shooter in those Olympics was Mark Nichols.

04-10-17 12:19PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Went from the greatest golf match of the modern era; Sergio Garcia vs. Justin Rose (Garcia wins his 1st major btw) to perhaps the greatest curling game of same era.

ML, recency bias at work! I'm going to assume by "Modern" you mean since the move from persimmon wood to metal "woods" and from balata to 4-piece balls (though you might be old enough to go back to hickory : )

Stenson vs Mickelson at the Open Championship last year was pretty unbelievable. Not sure if I'd put yesterday ahead of that one.

Woods v Duval v Mickelson at the Masters in 2001 was an exciting battle.

Phil v Monty v Ogilvey at the US Open in 2006 was pretty good.

Sergio v Harrington at the '07 Open and the '08 PGA are up there as well.

Woods v May at the 2000 PGA. Woods v DiMarco at 2005 Masters and my vote perhaps....

Woods vs Rocco at the 2008 US Open

...and there are many more.

And Greatest Curling Game? Not even in the Top 10 for me.

Last edited by milobloom on 04-10-17 at 12:27PM

04-10-17 12:25PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

Certainly not all, but a big part indeed.

04-10-17 12:56PM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: sadly I missed the curling match on T.V.

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
BUT I knew the outcome would be this nice, I just what to say that finally NO MORE having to listen to"Mr COMMERCIAL" Vic Rauter until next curling season

Vic is the best! He's Canada's Ron Burgundy!

04-10-17 01:15PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Re: sadly I missed the curling match on T.V.

quote:

so you won't be watching the mixed?

http://www.tsn.ca/2016-17-curling-b...hedule-1.593081

04-10-17 01:17PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom

ML, recency bias at work! I'm going to assume by "Modern" you mean since the move from persimmon wood to metal "woods" and from balata to 4-piece balls (though you might be old enough to go back to hickory : )

Stenson vs Mickelson at the Open Championship last year was pretty unbelievable. Not sure if I'd put yesterday ahead of that one.

Woods v Duval v Mickelson at the Masters in 2001 was an exciting battle.

Phil v Monty v Ogilvey at the US Open in 2006 was pretty good.

Sergio v Harrington at the '07 Open and the '08 PGA are up there as well.

Woods v May at the 2000 PGA. Woods v DiMarco at 2005 Masters and my vote perhaps....

Woods vs Rocco at the 2008 US Open

...and there are many more.

And Greatest Curling Game? Not even in the Top 10 for me.

Have to agree with you - Edin was so hot at the beginning and in the semi agains the Swiss...yet his front end faltered in the final and he missed a few himself. Credit to Gushue and his team, they made some excellent shots.

04-10-17 01:25PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Have to agree with you - Edin was so hot at the beginning and in the semi agains the Swiss...yet his front end faltered in the final and he missed a few himself. Credit to Gushue and his team, they made some excellent shots.

Nothing new there, Edin tends to crumble vs. Gushue, that and or it's just a bad matchup, I think it's at least partly mental with that team though, lost to Gushue 3 times in a row here.

Last edited by Stoner on 04-10-17 at 01:28PM

04-10-17 02:14PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

So as far as men and women (since 1973) only four teams have won without losing a game. Rick Folk (1980), Kerry Burtnyk (1995), Brad Gushue (2017) and Rachel Holman (2017)

It has truly been a remarkable year for Canadian curling.

Definitely a year to remember for CDN Curlng Fans, and especially for Team Gushue. Couldn't have written it any better for them.

04-10-17 02:44PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler

Definitely a year to remember for CDN Curlng Fans, and especially for Team Gushue. Couldn't have written it any better for them.

If only they had won the juniors too, would have been the greatest year ever for Canada I think.

04-10-17 02:51PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MCC_PE
These sweeping violations aren't new. Replay any televised game and you will find several instances where sweeping rules were technically broken. Every team does it, and as I mentioned in the USA thread, it's a matter of playing within accepted norms.

How many sports are there without rules that are have tolerances before they're called? By the book, you could call holding on every play in football; traveling and/or carrying/palming the ball in basketball; holding, grabbing, flopping in soccer; the variable strike zone and being in the zip code of second base on double plays in baseball; marking and replacing of balls in golf, etc.

The problem is that for most sports there are officials (and for golf, people sitting at home watching on TV) who call penalties or fouls when someone goes beyond the accepted tolerances.

With the possible exception of golf, doing anything to win is the goal of all the sports you mention. They employ the unfortunate approach of "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."
In curling, however, sportsmanship, fair play, and respect for one's opponent is the philosophy, and is expected. Therefore, any breach of a rule in order to gain an advantage should not be accepted.

If a little finger is released from the rock when the rock is touching the Hogline by just 1/8 of an inch, though this has a questionable influence on the shot's outcome, it is nonetheless deemed an infraction of the rules, and is not permitted.
Sweeping an opposition stone above the t-line will usually influence the outcome more than will the previously mentioned infraction - and therefore should not be tolerated.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-10-17 03:00PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

, fair play, and respect for one's opponent is the philosophy, and is expected. Therefore, any breach of a rule in order
This was part of the original aspects of "clubhouse" curling. Given the commitment, investments, sacrifices and amount of money and trips available to this sport, it has become a "win first" attitude. Us fans view it as a friendly game, it has changed substantially.

04-10-17 03:28PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Eriksson's 4th end sweeping. If Gushue's rock had not been swept so vigorously in front of the T-line would they have scored 2? Doesn't matter because of the win. No matter who does it it is wrong.

WEll played game by Teams Gushue and Edin. Gushue deserves the win. congratulations on a well deserved win.

04-10-17 04:13PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Game of All -

quote:
Originally posted by gushuechamp

I wouldnt go as far as to say all due, but yes Russ was a huge part of it. The coming years would show Brad still had some learning to do how to skip a winning combination on his own. Russ would have never let him make that crazy call in the 7th or 8th end that cost him and his team the Brier title in 2007 vs Russ's brother.

Have to agree, Russ was a huge part of the team but would of never been in the Trails without the boys, and it was Mark and Brad making the big shots

04-10-17 04:16PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the problem with sweeping is that, with every rule in this sport its left up to the players to enforce. officials need to get more involved in making sure the rules are followed.

and yes, eriksson was sweeping to soon .

04-10-17 04:18PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Game of All -

quote:
Originally posted by darkwing01

Have to agree, Russ was a huge part of the team but would of never been in the Trails without the boys, and it was Mark and Brad making the big shots

okay okay as M.L. previously commented Russ just went along for the ride with Team Gushue

04-10-17 04:34PM
Grux is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grux Click here to Send Grux a Private Message Find more posts by Grux Add Grux to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grux
Harvey Hacksmasher

I do always love the misconception of sweeping here and at the club.

I thought I had always heard that Hebert and Kennedy could carry a rock 8+ feet from beginning to end for the ~114 feet.

And now we have one person sweeping for 6 feet and carrying it out of the house?

I understand if these rocks are barely rolling out of the house, but they are flying out!

It is wrong, against the rules, and shouldn't be done. However, these guys are carrying it multiple feet out of the house?

04-10-17 04:48PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Grux

I thought I had always heard that Hebert and Kennedy could carry a rock 8+ feet from beginning to end for the ~114 feet.

And now we have one person sweeping for 6 feet and carrying it out of the house?

I understand if these rocks are barely rolling out of the house, but they are flying out!

It is wrong, against the rules, and shouldn't be done. However, these guys are carrying it multiple feet out of the house?

Food for thought for sure. One thing is that the house did seam sticky yesterday (trailing white behind rocks). Canada only missed counting two by an inch or so....perhaps sweeping early (when the rock has the most momentum to preserve) made the difference and perhaps not. Since these pros can't seem to follow the rules 10 year olds know perhaps the rule should change to no sweeping of an opponents stone ever. Less is more. I kind of like that rule change actually the more I think about it.

04-11-17 12:47AM
yctomi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yctomi Click here to Send yctomi a Private Message Find more posts by yctomi Add yctomi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yctomi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Game of All -

quote:
okay okay as M.L. previously commented Russ just went along for the ride with Team Gushue

Lol literally no point arguing with him. You'll never win. Everyone knows what Russ brought to the team and acknowledges the credit.

04-11-17 01:06AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Grux

In the Erickson case, he began sweeping Canada's stone a good 2 or 3 feet in front of the t-line, and swept it just far enough (I believe to the back 8 foot) for Canada to score only 1 instead of 2. As 'Western Newbie' mentioned (and as I mentioned earlier), a valid argument could be made that his sweeping sooner than the rules allow robbed Canada of that 2nd point that end.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson