Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > U.S.A. Curling > ESPN3 live streaming 2015-2016 SOC????

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-21-15 08:31PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

ESPN3 live streaming 2015-2016 SOC????

Haven't heard much about ESPN3 showing the SOC for the 2015-2016 season. Anyone heard anything yet?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-22-15 01:32AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

It was great to have that shown last year. Shouldn't someone at USA Curling be able to answer this question?

10-22-15 02:32PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I hope they will have it again. I talked to my pal google and couldn't find anything.

More Vic Rauter is never a bad thing.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

10-22-15 07:57PM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

DBS,

You would think so wouldn't you?

But regardless of the SOC, we can all look forward to some tape delayed, commercial laden, partial curling ends on NBC's Curling Night in America!

10-24-15 11:01PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by runinrock
DBS,

You would think so wouldn't you?

But regardless of the SOC, we can all look forward to some tape delayed, commercial laden, partial curling ends on NBC's Curling Night in America!

MAO ^^^^

Bring on espn3 again.

10-29-15 09:03AM
Brushing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brushing Find more posts by Brushing Add Brushing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brushing
Harvey Hacksmasher

Has anyone heard any news on this yet?

10-29-15 04:17PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Brushing

Guess I was wrong about USA Curling having the answer to this. I emailed them and asked what they knew about ESPN3 streaming the curling again this year... Got no reply

10-29-15 04:20PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Brushing

I've contacted ESPN and am awaiting a reply. They were actually quite responsive to questions last year.

Cheers.

10-29-15 07:17PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

I've contacted ESPN and am awaiting a reply. They were actually quite responsive to questions last year.

Cheers.

I did the same and was told that Season of Champions was not on ESPN schedule right now. I was told it was possible that this was because the events were a ways off but nothing for now.

10-29-15 11:46PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Thanks for looking into it guys!

Hopefully if it doesn't happen TSN will offer some kind of PPV streaming option for those fans of us outside of the Great White North. Sportsnet package is a pretty good deal for the slams, especially with the replay option.

10-30-15 10:43AM
Brushing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brushing Find more posts by Brushing Add Brushing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brushing
Harvey Hacksmasher

yeah, I buy the sportsnet gsoc sub and I would buy a subscription for the TSN broadcasts, but my favorite part of it being on espn3 is that I can watch it on my ipad so I hope it's back on espn. (Even if the commercials are the same silly sportscenter commercial 100x a draw.)

10-31-15 03:34PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

email from ESPN:

I am contacting you today in reference to CTOI-5993, Canadian Curling Association Season of Champions [my earlier email]. At this time, the event is still to be determined since we have not acquired the rights to show it on ESPN3. We will more than likely have a press release if we get the rights again. You may want to check http://espnmediazone.com/us/ periodically for this press release.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 10-31-15 at 11:45PM

11-01-15 12:42AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Hmmmmm....I thought they said last year it was a three year deal. Guess not.

11-01-15 01:21AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
email from ESPN:

I am contacting you today in reference to CTOI-5993, Canadian Curling Association Season of Champions [my earlier email]. At this time, the event is still to be determined since we have not acquired the rights to show it on ESPN3. We will more than likely have a press release if we get the rights again. You may want to check http://espnmediazone.com/us/ periodically for this press release.

Hmm...maybe TSN is shopping the rights elsewhere?

I really hope ESPN3 gets it again.

11-01-15 11:35AM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Doubt its being shopped somewhere else - it's just a question of ESPN3 deciding to pick it up.

I'm also curious to see what happens with the US Championship this year with Universal Sports shutting down. It's a channel that wasn't carried by all of the major providers, and that left a lot of people in the dark for live coverage of the US and World Championship finals. Maybe we're not there yet, but I would love to see the finals live on NBCSN.

11-01-15 12:20PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Grat
Doubt its being shopped somewhere else - it's just a question of ESPN3 deciding to pick it up.

I'm also curious to see what happens with the US Championship this year with Universal Sports shutting down. It's a channel that wasn't carried by all of the major providers, and that left a lot of people in the dark for live coverage of the US and World Championship finals. Maybe we're not there yet, but I would love to see the finals live on NBCSN.

That drove me nuts when they geoblocked the Gold Medal game from Men's Worlds because of Universal Sports last year. Granted, it was just a minor annoyance to work around and watch live, but still frustrating.

It would be awesome if NBCSN picked it up and covered the events.

11-01-15 04:28PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

That drove me nuts when they geoblocked the Gold Medal game from Men's Worlds because of Universal Sports last year. Granted, it was just a minor annoyance to work around and watch live, but still frustrating.

It would be awesome if NBCSN picked it up and covered the events.

The more dedicated and technically adept will get around the geoblock, but some people struggled. I envision NBCSN picking them up, and then at least the live streaming carries on with greater availability. About the time I discovered Universal Sports a few years ago is when they changed their distribution and got dropped by my provider.

11-01-15 08:19PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

People should realize that Disney (ESPN) has an ownership stake in TSN with Bell Media, so I doubt TSN would shop the rights elsewhere. This will likely be an ESPN 3 decision.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

11-02-15 08:26AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Not necessarily...

ESPN is in a MAJOR cost cutting mode right now...they've shuttered Grantland.com (admittedly, that was as much because Bill Simmons left as anything, but still...), they laid off 300 other folks around the network.

Disney is hurting, ESPN isn't the cash cow it was a few years back. Admittedly, the big problem is rights fees for NFL and NBA games, but I could see the little sports getting hurt in terms of being picked up.

I could see ESPN choosing to give up the broadcast rights to the SoC...maybe FoxSportsNet woudl pick it up.

I still swear that the time is right and a Curling Channel could succeed...it would need the logistical support of WCF, CCA and USCA, but given that broadband cable/FIOS/etc seems to manage to find space for optional channels for far smaller niches (Cricket outside the UK and India, anyone?), I suspect there'd be enough pickups, even at a reasonable monthly charge, to make it go.

11-02-15 09:30AM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Not necessarily...

ESPN is in a MAJOR cost cutting mode right now...they've shuttered Grantland.com (admittedly, that was as much because Bill Simmons left as anything, but still...), they laid off 300 other folks around the network.

Disney is hurting, ESPN isn't the cash cow it was a few years back. Admittedly, the big problem is rights fees for NFL and NBA games, but I could see the little sports getting hurt in terms of being picked up.

I could see ESPN choosing to give up the broadcast rights to the SoC...maybe FoxSportsNet woudl pick it up.

I still swear that the time is right and a Curling Channel could succeed...it would need the logistical support of WCF, CCA and USCA, but given that broadband cable/FIOS/etc seems to manage to find space for optional channels for far smaller niches (Cricket outside the UK and India, anyone?), I suspect there'd be enough pickups, even at a reasonable monthly charge, to make it go.

Cable TV is probably going to be a financial loser, but web-streaming might be practical. It depends on how much TSN wants for redistribution rights. MLB-TV is your model, although the market won't be that large. Does anyone pay for cable coverage of baseball when you can get HD streams of every MLB game through your Chromecast or HTPC for a relatively small annual fee? The ability to time-shift viewing of events means a larger potential audience.

Cheers.

11-02-15 12:02PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Not necessarily...

Disney is far from hurting but ESPN are definitely in transition. Still the biggest player in sports by ten country miles though...Can't say I'll miss Grantland and all the snark that came with it.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

11-05-15 10:21PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Just got an email from Rick Patzke and they too are waiting from Curl Canada on the ESPN3 status.

11-06-15 12:52AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AK267
Just got an email from Rick Patzke and they too are waiting from Curl Canada on the ESPN3 status.

Interesting...thanks for the update.

11-07-15 01:39AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man

DCan't say I'll miss Grantland and all the snark that came with it.

Have to vehemently disagree with you. Grantland was simply the best place to find consolidated, well written long form sportswriting on the web. There are good things elsewhere, but no web site had as much in one place. If you want real snark, spend some time on Deadspin. ,

Sadly, I now have nothing to do while having my morning coffee, or sitting on the throne shortly afterwards.

Zach Lowe, Bill Barnwell, Robert Mays, Charles Pierce, Bryan Curtis, Sean MacIndoe and many more I could mention.

ESPN is part of the evil empire which is Disney (a corporation generally responsible for bland, thoughtless entertainment and risk averse journalism). I considered getting ESPN in Canada through SlingTV, then realized I didn;t want to send any more of my money their way.

11-07-15 07:30PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom
[B]

Have to vehemently disagree with you. Grantland was simply the best place to find consolidated, well written long form sportswriting on the web. There are good things elsewhere, but no web site had as much in one place. If you want real snark, spend some time on Deadspin.

Snark and negativity seem to be the general rule for much of modern journalism these days, no doubt fostered by the arrival of the blogosphere. There was some good stuff on Grantland, particularly when the writing was focused on sports. Zach Lowe was a big favorite of mine, but I never liked Bill Simmons and his often trolling click bait. He's a solid writer but I never found his pieces as original or profound as he often liked to project. Bottom line, I find him to be a grating personality and I believe some of the other writers took cues from that.

Last edited by Radio-Man on 11-07-15 at 07:47PM