Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2016 Manitoba Viterra Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-12-16 02:30PM
curlinglady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinglady Click here to Send curlinglady a Private Message Find more posts by curlinglady Add curlinglady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinglady
Knee-Slider

Anyone know what happened in the 10th in the Carruthers game?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-12-16 02:32PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by NitDuck

I actually have the opposite reaction here. I think the close game wins early are only going to help Mikey down the line. What advantage is there to blowing out opposition early? Sure didn't work for Carruthers this morning. The sport is just as much mental as physical and the team needs to be in close dog fight battles to stay mentally ready for "steeper competition" in the Final 8 and Final 4. Winning close games gives more confidence than a blow out.

I wasn't speaking about whether a close game will sharpen up a team in the preliminary round. Most agree that it definitely will. My issue is that the rink's level of curling for three straight games appears below what we normally see from them. Hopefully it's just rust from the layoff and they aren't already feeling the burden of expectations. The first close game against Reynolds I dismissed as an anomaly. But this morning's game was a real surprise. I'm not trying to read anything into it. I just know based on the way the McEwen team can curl that these games should not all be close in the later ends.

Last edited by rick8end on 02-12-16 at 02:35PM

02-12-16 02:33PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Steviewondering

Maybe they are getting the bad games out early? I think they are gonna ramp things up now that they are in the top eight.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Better to struggle a bit early when you're getting used to the ice than latter when you really should have a grasp on it. No worries so far. He's certainly in a better position than Reid and Matt are....

02-12-16 04:52PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you know, i havent seen any of the games and is suspect that not many people or no one on here has but in regards to today's game against bohn im not surprised it was close. thats a good team with a lot of experience. mike was never going to steamroll the field, he never has. he's always had some close games

02-12-16 04:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

4 a qualifiers:

daley peters
mike mcewen
william lyburn
scott ramsay

mcewen is no surprise. peters and forrest were about even but it looks like daley handled alex easily.lyburn over dunstone is a minor upset to mee . lyburn has more experience but dunstone was coming in hot and i had them slight favorite there.

ramsay over carruthers is a pretty big upset in my book. especially because of how it happened. reid up 2 playing 10 and giving up 4 just doesnt happen . im guessing there had to be a really sloppy end from the guys infront of him and he couldnt get out of it

predictions for tonight:

dennis bohn de.f david bohn

dunstone def.mcintyre

forest def. irwin

carruthers def. forrester

02-12-16 05:15PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Steve Irwin vs. Alex Forest should be quite the game. Both guys easily capable of winning 5 to 7 games in a Brier.

Indeed, Reid barfed up a 4-spot to Ramsey in the 10th to allow Ramsey to remain unbeaten. Reports had Reid stating he was pressed for time and left Ramsey a triple which he could have prevented. Probably didn't think a regional fawn could execute a triple. Wrong-o Reid!

i wish that shaw was still broadcasting. crappy though the commentating was we would have been able to see these games tonight.

02-12-16 07:36PM
NitDuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NitDuck Click here to Send NitDuck a Private Message Find more posts by NitDuck Add NitDuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NitDuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

If you have twitter, toss a follow to Nathan Liewicki (liewicks) from Brandon Sun. Guy is doing AMAZING coverage of all games, including some vids. Carruthers up 6-5 in 10...and Forrester has hammer. This could be the biggest upset of the playdown season, men or women.

02-12-16 07:57PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Man, how can Forrester be one down against Carruthers in the 10th end with the hammer and blank it? I guess he sailed a draw through an empty house or he rolled out on a simple hit. The defending champion dodged a bullet. That's a tough way for Forrester to go home.

02-12-16 08:09PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:

Puzzler? Musta rolled out of a clean house!

Reid just revving up his game and screaming "FEED ME MORE!" after smothering Romper Room

Just read Wiecek's Twitter and yes he rolled out on a hit.

02-12-16 08:59PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

thats a tough way to lose

02-13-16 08:12AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well,as it turns out imd glad we couldnt see anything last night. all one sided,boring affairs

02-13-16 01:53PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

been saying for years they need to reformat this event

02-13-16 03:30PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

I appreciated and enjoyed the 7 sec Twitter clips of key shots/house setups by Nathan, but was not equipped to follow when he went to streaming. If he can do that, why is there discussions that it costs tons of money if the big guns of the industry do or not do it?

Last edited by Ajay on 02-13-16 at 03:47PM

02-13-16 03:34PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

why arent team peters wearing the lumberjack outfits this season? i liked those

02-13-16 07:08PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

It looks like Jeff Stoughton got himself a new gig He can't do any worse then some of them.

02-13-16 08:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i got to say..it almost seems destined for mike to win this year.

id like to see something unexpected though happen in the next few days in these provincial playdowns. its not been as fun following the men as it was the women because everything has gone to the script.

02-13-16 08:54PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

Come on Sportsnet, just switch to the Dunstone vs Lyburn game now? There's no way Mike is going to choke.

02-13-16 09:18PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

They have to play 8 ends .

02-13-16 10:04PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Can anyone explain how the Manitoba rep will be decided if Dunstone beat both Carruthers and McEwen tomorrow? If this has been covered elsewhere I have missed it.

02-13-16 10:20PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

All Stars

Lead Braden Zawada from Team Lyburn
Second Derek Samagalski from Team Carruthers
Third BJ Neufeld from Team McEwen
Skip Matt Dunstone

It is the third All-Star recognition for Neufeld, who was named to the team in both 2010 and 2015, and the first for Zawada, Samagalski, and Dunstone.

Also, they were saying what was going to happen if Dunstone wins the event. Unfortunately, I wasn't really paying attention, BUT I DO KNOW they said the loser again Dunstone if he wins DOES NOT get bye to the Brier.

02-13-16 10:22PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
if dunstone beats carruthers then carruthers hopes for Dunstone to beat McEwen and there is a playoff for the brier spot between mike and reid

best 4 outa 7 games - 12 ends

Thanks I believe the first part but not the second part

02-13-16 10:26PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

If Dunstone wins it all I don't think there's a playoff for the Brier spot. Didn't the organizers say the team with the least losses over the week would go. That would be McEwen with 1. Carruthers would have 3. I think there would be several teams with 3 losses.

02-13-16 10:31PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
If Dunstone wins it all I don't think there's a playoff for the Brier spot. Didn't the organizers say the team with the least losses over the week would go. That would be McEwen with 1. Carruthers would have 3. I think there would be several teams with 3 losses.

I believe that is correct. The one-off would only occur if teams were tied with number of losses.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

02-13-16 10:33PM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Dunstone should not have been there in the first place. What was the MCA thinking. This is like letting Jones play in the Scotties the year she went to the Olympics! Dumb. Dumb. Dumb

02-13-16 10:33PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:

Well that's what they said. But its curling Manitoba - what they say and what they do are often three different things!

I thought you were in charge?

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com