Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-10-16 11:45PM
SkipsWhoSayNi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkipsWhoSayNi Find more posts by SkipsWhoSayNi Add SkipsWhoSayNi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkipsWhoSayNi
Harvey Hacksmasher

OK, dbsdbs... We get that you hate the system. Give it a rest. Starting to smell a dead horse again.

Maybe you should check out luge. Maybe doubles luge.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-10-16 11:57PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

There's still a slam to play for. I'm sure that the opportunity to play teams like Homan, Jones, Tirinzoni & Sidorova is still intreresting. It's not the worlds, but being a tournament with 4 of the top 5 teams in the world is still something. It's not like there's nothing to see. It's not the Worlds, but just as tough. At least they're getting something.

02-11-16 12:01AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I realize that many are disappointed that the World teams are already set. I won't even try to defend the World Team Selection On Points stuff. I don't agree with it and I'm getting tired of pointing out its obvious benefits.

I will, however, disagree with those that think the playoffs are now meaningless. Much is on the line. (IMWright had a sweet line in the Men's thread, "Move along now. Nothing to see here anymore.)

In particular, there is a ton on the line in the Women's playoffs. Erika and her team lapped the field (another great line stolen from others) on the OOM Points. They did this outside of the HPP and are a lock to be at Worlds and a good bet to win this. Will they stay outside the HPP? Not likely. That's a lot of money to turn down.

3 of the 4 Junior Girls age out. I've long thought that Cory and Sarah are exceptional talents and now it appears that I have to add Taylor to that list. I'm thinking that the HPP will have to make room for them in the Women's program (especially if they run the table in the playoffs and/or have an exceptional World Juniors).

So if room must be made for Team Brown and room must be made for aging Juniors, what about the 8 women currently in the HPP? Unless the USOC suddenly floods us with money, it looks like they are playing for their spots. Forget any HPP Combine. These gals had better win this thing if they want to stay funded.

The same can be said for the Men's side; especially if Team Brady wins it...and doubly so if Team Brady wins it and goes on to do well at the Champions. With Face Team in the middle of a great year, how do you make room for Brady? Well, by making some cuts.

All of this is critically important as we begin the runup to the Olympic Trials. Olympic dreams, with the Trials Qualifying process that has been already been decided, are going to start dying far sooner than you might expect. If the easiest path to The Trials and becoming a member of the USA Olympic team lays inside of the HPP (and it is the easiest path by far), then the next three days are extremely important. Important to the curlers and to us fans.

Ben Tucker

02-11-16 12:53AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

With apologies to SkipsWhoSayNi, I fail to see the "intrigue" in the championship that he says is about to start now that we are down to the 4 teams that we knew weeks ago we would be down to. Were there 3 rather than 4 qualifiers, then perhaps some intrigue would have built during the week. Does it really make sense to have more than 1/2 of the field qualify for playoffs?
Tuck is right that there are individual curlers with lots on the line but from a team/championship standpoint, there is no suspense. Curlers may be playing for their HPP futures but HPP has always been more about evaluating individuals rather than teams.

Last edited by dbsdbs on 02-11-16 at 12:56AM

02-11-16 04:11PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

So here's my weird prediction. I deserve long odds on this one. I'm predicting that whomever wins the Page 3v4 will get the gold.

I think that Team Erika is going to win the Page 1v2. Then Team Nina will drop down to play the winner of Team Jamie and Team Cory. The momentum of the winning team will overcome Nina. Then we'll have a Finals between Erika and whomever wins the 3v4.

Once in the Finals, I think Team Erika's minds will already be at Worlds. I think their minds have been focused on Worlds for about 8 months now. That will make them vulnerable to a team that wants that win more. Nothing against Team Erika With A K (from now on Team With A K just to shorten it up). I don't fault them for keeping focused on the team goal. As it is, that is probably where their minds should be.

My problem is: I don't know who will win the 3v4. I picked the Juniors at the start. I should stick with them. That's what my heart tells me to. My brain, however, says go with Sinclair.

Heck with it. My brain isn't exactly a good brain. I'm sticking with the Juniors.

Ben Tucker

02-11-16 05:22PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

...then we can start carping about who will be assigned to Team Brown as a fifth and what lineup changes will be forced on them at worlds.

sorry, being sarcastic here, hope the above does not really happen. Team Erika has done so well all year while controlling the team themselves and making their own decisions. Thoroughly impressive regardless of whether they win the playoffs this weekend.

btw, if a non-HPP team wins nationals and goes to Champions Cup will they be officially representing as Team USA and therefore subject to control by the HPP staff?

02-11-16 10:23PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I feel ya, RBI, but that dog won't hunt with this team. While they will have to sign a document allowing the HPP staff to set the lineup and they have uber-talent Peanut Pottinger ready to move up...these are not some kids beholding to the USCA funding. They'll take friend-of-the-family Wally Henry as coach. Any man messing with this team should wear full body armour.

They'll take one of the Juniors as a fifth to give them more experience...if college will allow any of the Juniors to miss even more school. If not, they'll take someone off the runnerup. If I were their coach, I'd take the best sweeper. They already have two skips, so the danger lays in a sweeper getting sick. For some unknown reason, Women's Nationals and Women's Worlds have gotten a well-earned reputation for teams getting sick and passing the germs around the entire competition.

Ben Tucker

02-12-16 12:17AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Nice game by Christenson today. Maybe HP has finally found a skip for the future?

02-12-16 09:22AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

They'll take one of the Juniors as a fifth to give them more experience...if college will allow any of the Juniors to miss even more school. If not, they'll take someone off the runnerup. If I were their coach, I'd take the best sweeper. They already have two skips, so the danger lays in a sweeper getting sick. For some unknown reason, Women's Nationals and Women's Worlds have gotten a well-earned reputation for teams getting sick and passing the germs around the entire competition.

Ben Tucker [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd take one of Sinclair's teammates as a fifth. All are young, can sweep and play any spot. Young Haag was the best lead and had the highest percentage of all women and Peterson finished higher than Pottinger. Hamilton is Hamilton. Take your choice, you can't go wrong.

02-12-16 07:21PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm straight up cheering for Team With A K now. Nothing against Nina or any of her team, I just want Erika to go into Worlds full of momentum and confidence.

Nice run by the Juniors. Sinclair impressed me as well. Nina, of course, is doing great. It would be a little bit cruel if Nina won Nationals again only to be denied going to Worlds again...but I think she'd prefer that to accepting silver.

Ben Tucker

02-12-16 10:05PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Non-HPP team wins Women's Nationals, when the HPP, with all the support, should be running circles around everyone. Go figure. Yes, the HPP is a complete success...

02-13-16 01:00AM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

League curling tonight so did not see Roth - Brown final. Anyone care to provide a summary, especially of last end?

02-13-16 01:15AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Erika won 8-6 in an extra end (as predicted last week).

02-13-16 09:32AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

Erika was in control but suddenly had issues with weight in the 10th end. The problems continued in the 11th, but Pottinger hit a solid runback, then Nina came up short with her last shot and Erika didn't need to throw the hammer.

02-13-16 11:18AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Erika's first rock in the 10th came up a bit shot and slightly crashed. Her last rock, she need to curl into an open out turn full eight foot draw. she was perhaps a bit heavy, but her sweepers did a lot of work as well, and it drifted to back 8 foot line, and lost shot by half and inch or less. So even blame sweepers and Erika on that probably.

02-13-16 05:19PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

My impressions of the Women's Final for what little it might be worth:

It was a roller coaster ride of a game with roller coaster momentum shifts within the game and even within many of the key ends. Not only was momentum and control of the game and/or end frequently changing sides, it was also a roller coaster in terms of quality.

Team Brown was pretty dominate in the first three ends, yet were down 2 to 1 playing a bizarre fourth end. Team Roth had that end going all their way until a key miss and a key questionable call. Suddenly, the end flopped totally around and Erika cracked a deuce. Both teams then went on to play a total-hit fifth end. Like the game in its entirety, that fourth end was quite a mix. Some incredible play mixed in with some highly suspect play.

Coming out of the break, it was All Erika in the sixth and Nina needed to make the Hero Shot. Erika had one full top four...second full side four...and fourth around 10 o'clock eight foot...and a fifth insurance rock back house. Nina had a good rock on the side of the button. Lots of stuff out front on the skips' left hand side of the sheet. Right hand (inturn for righties) side had only an inconsequential corner guard. Erika inexplicably decides to remove the Roth rock with very quiet weight and sit right there. She should have played it at more weight and rolled away or even off. So now Nina is drawing against 5. It's a touch firm, but she bounces off the ill advised Brown shooter and lands on the button. Great shot facing 5, but Erika could have easily made it much more difficult. I think Erika thought her shooter would have been more forward of maybe I'm just giving her an excuse.

The game goes on in its roller coaster fashion. Both teams usually look exceptional. Both teams occasionally look quite pedestrian. I was getting the distinct impression that Team Brown was clearly superior and that Team Roth needed Nina to bail them out too often.

Nina's team sets her up pretty good in the 9th when they are down 3 with the hammer. A timeout fails to produce a good call and the setup gets squandered for just a single point.

Then came the fairly bizarre 10th end. Up 2 with hammer, Erika is trying to play stuff clean, but things just aren't working out. Nina's team continues its excellent play from the 9th end. Peeling a center guard, Pottinger sends it nicely towards a Roth rock in the house way on the side top twelve foot. That center guard contacts for a chance at a double, but instead spins to the back four foot. Guards go up...shots get made...draws come in. Nina ends up laying 2 with Erika just needing full 8 foot draw for the win.

Here is where I disagree with curlky: Erika lays down nice weight. The sweepers hammer it from hogline to hogline and then stop their sweeping to pray that the draw stops. It coasts almost to the back 12. I don't put any of that on Erika. That's a textbook sweeping error.

Extra end sees the continued perfection from Nina's team. Misfortune and missed shots continue to haunt Erika's team. Another timeout. Nina has shot side button behind guards. I saw four options. In order of my preference: 1. Guard the guard because it's Erika's rock and runback kills you. 2. Go wide to the outturn side and get a second stone in there because getting married to one stone is a bad thing. 3. Block the inturn side draw. 4. Get second shot with the inturn.

The coach correctly warned the team about sitting just 1 and wisely points out that coming around with an inturn will just leave a fatter target for the runback. So they attempted to go around with the outturn (ended up light and tight). This left the runback open and Pottinger drilled it. I really think they should have covered that up.

So a strange but exciting game. When Nina's team played great, Nina didn't. When Nina's team didn't play great and needed her, Nina was great. Erika's team was very good, but with some easy misses and some bad luck and a couple of small spots where they just weren't thinking.

The win for the gold did not bring about a wild celebration. I get the sensation that Team Brown was formed with the goal of a World medal and they've kept their eyes fixed firmly on that goal. Yes, a few hugs, but nothing like we usually see. This team expected to win. They are saving their celebrations for Worlds.

It might be wrong, but that's what I saw,
Ben Tucker

02-13-16 06:11PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Tuck (pretty accurate review all around), you are probably right that it was a sweeper issue. One reason I say partially on Erika, is if you listened to the audio, going into the 11th, she did tell her team, I'll make teh next one. Maybe she was just being a good skip, but sounded like she took at least part blame.

Plus if Erika was confident in her weight, she coudl have yelled at the sweepers who swept long and hard. I think that teh entire team was fooled by teh speed of the rock, but as per the design of the game, really, the sweepers should have swept far less all on their own without being told.

02-13-16 11:08PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Thanks for report Tuck. Congrats to team Brown. Would like to see more consistent play but I wonder if part of the up-and-down play can be attributed to there really being nothing on the line in this game. Perhaps lack of celebrations speaks to that as well. A team can continue to tell itself that a game is really important but there is a different feeling when a team really must win versus when it would be nice to win but not all that important to do so.

02-14-16 12:09PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I, too, heard Erika's statement that she'd make the next one. I took it in a different way that CurlKy, but I could be wrong.

I took it as, "Don't worry that you overcooked that one. I'm going to be Money on the next one. We're not losing the game because you overswept."

I've done this myself more than once. At times my third would miss a key shot (sorry, Owen, everyone misses). He'd come down to the house just distraught. I would tell him, "Don't worry. I got this." Shockingly, I usually did. Something about the team needing me brought on extra focus.

So I view it as Erika being a supportive teammate. I think that's what happened, but I'm not sure.

How much do I love this team's chances at Worlds? Well, it's Valentine's Day. Let's leave it at that.

I do see a couple of things that concern me. Allison Pottinger (whom I have repeated described as the best of the best) seems to drop her shooting percentage significantly with her 5 rock if she has to really sweep hard on Nicole's 4 rock. I don't have any stats to back that up; just casual observation which isn't fair to her. I also think that Peanut Pottinger is totally trusting and enjoying Erika calling the entire game and has shifted her strategic mind into neutral. I don't blame her, but I think she's underutilizing a gift.

The front two look rock solid. Erika looks every bit the role of a true skip. The team oozes confidence and camaraderie. Most importantly, there seems to be some upsets around the globe and the field may not be all that strong at Worlds.

OR I could just wish them luck and shut up and say a silent prayer.

Ben Tucker

02-14-16 12:25PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
Tuck (pretty accurate review all around), you are probably right that it was a sweeper issue. One reason I say partially on Erika, is if you listened to the audio, going into the 11th, she did tell her team, I'll make teh next one. Maybe she was just being a good skip, but sounded like she took at least part blame.

Plus if Erika was confident in her weight, she coudl have yelled at the sweepers who swept long and hard. I think that teh entire team was fooled by teh speed of the rock, but as per the design of the game, really, the sweepers should have swept far less all on their own without being told.

Her last draw was out wider. They just had to hit 8 foot and played it safe by taking more ice. I think the different path caught some fresh stuff, just tracked more and fooled them.