W: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Women
M: Curl Saskatoon U17 Men's Junior Classic
W: Curl Saskatoon U17 Women's Junior Classic
W: Curl Saskatoon U21 Women's Junior Classic
M: Curl Saskatoon U21 Men's Junior Classic
M: WCT Austrian Mixed Doubles Cup
W: Stirling Wheelchair Curling International
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

Curling Pick'em

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > World Womens Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 17 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-23-13 09:38PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am

There is a double standard here. Muirhead's handshake with Sweden the day before was less courteous than Rachel's today, but it seems everybody is OK with bad behaviour from non-Canadians. Then Muirhead's team's reaction of jumping up and down after a win on a miss shot was downright dispicable. And nobody criticizes that. Why do we expect and condone bad behaviour from Europeans (remember the Swedish reaction after Bernard's miss in the Olympics, she should have been banned from curling for life for that) and we expect Canadians to be holier than the Pope?

Good points all, ott-am and I know exactly how you feel after that nail-biting disappointment today!

However, curling has a long history chalked by people celebrating other curler's misfortunes. I probably go back a few more years than you.

Remember Orest Meleschuk of Winnipeg, jumping up like mexican jumping beans after Bob Labonte failed to hit the four foot with his last brick in an extra end.

I remember Kerry Burtnyk and his 22 year old Wpg team jumping like banshees after Alan Hackner gassed his final rock in 10, allowing Burtnyk a 3 ender to win.

There's a few more I can recall but the best example of sportsmanship occured in 2005 when Jennifer Jones made the shot that rocked curling to unexpectedly win the STOH. IT was a spectacular called shot, perhaps a 1 in 100 chance. And she made it. I remember Ontario skip Jenn Hanna, shocked by the magnitude of Jones' great shot, yet dutifully congratulated Jones and co. on the win and trying (probably against inner tears) to suppress her total disappointment. Jenn Hanna's reaction (she was probably only 25 or 26 at the time) impressed me greatly and I have been one of her greatest fans ever since that fateful day.

Sometimes its the little things that can make you a hero. Especially to a cranky curling fan who she'll never meet anyways!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-23-13 09:42PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Dackle
When JJ lost the Scotties final to Rachel Homan, she shook her hand, looked her in the eye and gave her a hug, so yeah, Manitoba Legend Rachel's petulant, rude response to Scotland was quite a bit more brusk than JJ's.

A bit of a different scenario Dacks. Jones was totally pulped by Homan, Jennifer knew by the 6th or 7th end it was not her day and Homan was making everything look easy, while Jones was making easy shots look terribly difficult.

Jones is also a professional lawyer with an ongoing practice and a public speaker/fund-raiser for various charities. In essence she's know the first lady of canadian curling. So its a bit unfair to compare a 38 yr old veteran star's response vs. a 23 yr old who just missed a fairly basic shot to go to the golden game!

03-23-13 09:48PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Amen ott-am. Arm chair quarterbacks are a dime a dozen. Very proud of those girls.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.147.38.88

03-23-13 10:10PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

A bit of a different scenario Dacks. Jones was totally pulped by Homan, Jennifer knew by the 6th or 7th end it was not her day and Homan was making everything look easy, while Jones was making easy shots look terribly difficult.

Jones is also a professional lawyer with an ongoing practice and a public speaker/fund-raiser for various charities. In essence she's know the first lady of canadian curling. So its a bit unfair to compare a 38 yr old veteran star's response vs. a 23 yr old who just missed a fairly basic shot to go to the golden game!

quote:

Actually, I have to disagree. Rachel Homan is a 23 yr old phenom/legend who just missed a rather routine shot to get her to the golden game. . . . she's a petulant young lady and she was absolutely steamed yet I saw nothing wrong with her no eye-contact handshakes - it was perhaps a shade brusker than what my JJ does when she barfs up an big game!!!

You're the one who says JJ is brusk when she loses a big game. You don't think the Scotties final was a big game?

03-23-13 11:27PM
CurlingPiper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingPiper Click here to Send CurlingPiper a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingPiper Add CurlingPiper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingPiper
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not trying to victimize anyone here, but how many of you have actually played at a semi-elite level? Played in a provincial playdown, national championship? Not talking about the final draw of your Wednesday night league to win a gift card and put your name on a trophy. I'm talking about being in a championship of high calibre. Rachel and the Canadians were NOT showing any disrespect towards the Scottish team. They understand full well as everyone else that they didn't make the final shot that counted. Rachel lost the 2007 and 2008 Ontario Juniors, lost the 2009 Canadian Junior final and lost the 2010 World Junior final. She lost the bronze medal game at the 2011 Scotties and lost the 2012 Ontario Scotties on an open draw. Saying that Rachel needs more losses under her belt is inaccurate, as her team has suffered multiple losses throughout the last seven years. If any disrespect was being shown, it was to themselves. Knowing that they had come within half an inch of the World final. Shaking hands to a team that you thought you had beat when you were in the hack. Personally, anybody challenging that Rachel needs to show more class in her losses clearly must not have been in any high pressure make or break final shots of a championship, as anybody who has will know that emotions get the better of us in those types of situation. It's human nature.

That's it for my little rant. Congrats to Scotland, it was a great match. Hopefully Sweden take them to the final stone much like Scotland did to Canada today. And good luck to Canada in the bronze medal game. Draw all the experience they can get from their last Worlds game before the Trials.

A proud Canadian fan shocked by the amount of disrespect that we as fans are showing towards Rachel and the team.

03-23-13 11:44PM
Unregistered

quote:

I'd say its time for JJ to move down to third and let the brilliant Kaitlyn Lawes have a go at third.

Let kaitlyn Lawes have a go at third? She has been throwing 3rd stomes for the Jones team for 3 years!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.250.205.64

03-24-13 01:19AM
rocking chair curler

Thumbs down tsn

Anyone else ticked off that TSN 2 is showing the bronze game? Is there live streaming? It is on in the middle of the night! Who watches car racing in the middle of the night? This is a world championship not just another car race.
Go team CANADA!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.56.33

03-24-13 04:14AM
Unregistered

Back to back games for Team Canada

Dont forget Canada played TWO games in a row at the Top level of this worlds.
Rachel started looking a little drained late in that second game..its too bad she maybe didnt try a draw for the win but she went for her comfort shot yet again.. heavy heat and she stuffed that shot by that famous "inch"...

Debut worlds and she showed some of the greatest shots we have seen in the women's games.
This is a young team that will only get better and better until nobody will even be writing about a Jennifer Jones shot from 8 LONG years ago..(gimmee a break!!)

Canada has a future Dynasty in the mix.. the Homan Team has great.chemistry. loyalty and and work like heck on the fine tuning.
Once Rachel starts to perfect this mid-heat and draw shots she will finally be world-class across the board .. and we get to enjoy it all....

Legend find a new hero....or support the ones who are repping Canada ..now ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.91.140.125

03-24-13 04:25AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: tsn

quote:
Originally posted by rocking chair curler
Anyone else ticked off that TSN 2 is showing the bronze game? Is there live streaming? It is on in the middle of the night! Who watches car racing in the middle of the night? This is a world championship not just another car race.
Go team CANADA!!!!

I don't quite understand this either. Lots of folks have cable paks with TSN1 only and will miss this game - live or via PVR. It rankles.

03-24-13 04:44AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Re: Re: tsn

quote:

I don't quite understand this either. Lots of folks have cable paks with TSN1 only and will miss this game - live or via PVR. It rankles.

If you're in Canada you can go to http://video.tsn.ca and go to curling and games on demand and watch any game basically any time after it ends.

03-24-13 05:19AM
Unregistered

TSN..no live streaming of Bronze game

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
If you're in Canada you can go to http://video.tsn.ca and go to curling and games on demand and watch any game basically any time after it ends.

with the killer word being AFTER..

TSN dropped the ball on this..but maybe they have packed up the LIVE Stream equipment..
sad because Canada is going to podium...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.91.140.125

03-24-13 06:00AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Re: TSN..no live streaming of Bronze game

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

with the killer word being AFTER..

TSN dropped the ball on this..but maybe they have packed up the LIVE Stream equipment..
sad because Canada is going to podium...

Of course I'm watching it live, and in high definition no less.

Most cable systems I've seen in 3 provinces have TSN2 as part of a basic digital package. Maybe not so in the so called "more sophisticated" parts of Canada.

Last edited by murphyj87 on 03-24-13 at 06:16AM

03-24-13 06:17AM
il1960 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for il1960 Click here to Send il1960 a Private Message Find more posts by il1960 Add il1960 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
il1960
Harvey Hacksmasher

To get a bronze medal in their first World Championship is considered as a good result, at least in my opinion. Congrats to team Homan. I expect to see them doing as well and better in several more Championships. Now all I hope for is that Sweden can perform at their best and win the gold this time

03-24-13 07:18AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by il1960
To get a bronze medal in their first World Championship is considered as a good result, at least in my opinion. Congrats to team Homan. I expect to see them doing as well and better in several more Championships. Now all I hope for is that Sweden can perform at their best and win the gold this time

Agreed. I saw JJ at her first Worlds in Paisley, 2005. She finished 3rd (8-3) but took a real thumping in the 3-4 game from Dordi Nordby, 12-5. And what did Jenn do after that? Only become Canada's best player ever since. And eight year's later she still made it into the Scotties final.

BTW, back then commonsense prevailed. The loser of the semi (Nordby) won bronze.

Rachel played better this week than Jenn did back then. She has a real chance to follow in Jones' footsteps.

03-24-13 07:23AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Re: tsn

quote:
Originally posted by rocking chair curler
Go team CANADA!!!!

Viewers were forewarned. TSN made it clear from the start that it would be on TSN2.

http://www.tsn.ca/curling/feature/?id=1085

BTW, my cable server provides TSN2 to all TSN subscribers.

03-24-13 08:07AM
Unregistered

Rachel Homan has been curling for 19 years. The etiquette of the game has not changed. There is no excuse for her petulant bahaviour. She is a poor loser and a terrible role model for up and coming curlers. I think she is a phenomenal curler and will be a World Champ sooner than later, but her attitude stinks and I find it very hard to cheer for someone who has no class. Canadians are better than that. Fans get tired of this type of public display very quickly and never forget.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.251.174.88

03-24-13 08:09AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

looks like rachel and the team rebounded just fine from the loss and grabbed the bronze

03-24-13 08:44AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am

There is a double standard here. Muirhead's handshake with Sweden the day before was less courteous than Rachel's today, but it seems everybody is OK with bad behaviour from non-Canadians. Then Muirhead's team's reaction of jumping up and down after a win on a miss shot was downright dispicable. And nobody criticizes that. Why do we expect and condone bad behaviour from Europeans (remember the Swedish reaction after Bernard's miss in the Olympics, she should have been banned from curling for life for that) and we expect Canadians to be holier than the Pope?

Good points Ott-am. Muirhead isn't exactly a gracious loser, and who can forget Andrea Schopp blasting her players for a missed line call during her world win. Rachel is only 23, she rebounded admirably this morning and she will win gold next year(maybe Olympic)

03-24-13 08:47AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingPiper
l
A proud Canadian fan shocked by the amount of disrespect that we as fans are showing towards Rachel and the team.

I respect her talent but the lack of respect by any team at the end of the game towards an opponent should never be justified!

03-24-13 08:57AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
I respect her talent but the lack of respect by any team at the end of the game towards an opponent should never be justified!
Curling for prudes.

Last edited by Guest on 03-24-13 at 09:05AM

03-24-13 09:02AM
Unregistered

I don't get worked up over some players showing emotion after a tough loss, even if it doesn't look good on them. For me it speaks to their competitive fire. Some will say that "competitive fire" can also be respectful, but I think it's all blown out of proportion. It is easy for us to sit in front of our keyboards and express indignation. Homan and team had a great year. The Worlds are nice to get to and it's always an honor to wear the maple leaf on your back, but it's only the Worlds. She won the Scotties, the biggest prize this curling year had to offer. And to get that prize she had to knock off a very good team in the process. For me, the measure of a great team is how many Scotties you have, not World Championships. I think we should be happy for Team Homan and look forward to seeing this team in action next year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.76.2.33

03-24-13 09:03AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
looks like rachel and the team rebounded just fine from the loss and grabbed the bronze

Rock on!

03-24-13 09:05AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Good points Ott-am. Muirhead isn't exactly a gracious loser, and who can forget Andrea Schopp blasting her players for a missed line call during her world win. Rachel is only 23, she rebounded admirably this morning and she will win gold next year(maybe Olympic)

yeah thats true that andrea blasted her own team but she also apologized right after that and multiple times later on too.

and thats a pretty bold precition on your part

03-24-13 09:08AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

scotland reallt got off the hook there. maria makes that and sweden gets 4..maybe 5

03-24-13 09:57AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Homan is probably in the stands, watching this pukefest between Scotty and Sweden, knowing that if she curled near her best both these teams would be lambs to slaughter.

Heck, even Jenny could have handled these lambs.

Now, Rachel Homan knows that in order to win the big matches you have to apply consistent pressure to your opponents - no matter if they're an Ontario fawn, a national doe or an international lamb.

I really thought Rachel was a Serial Killer Curler after she pulped Jones at STOH.

But that killer instinct wasn't on display much in Riga. Guess the ice and rock confusion took it away.