Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > Canada Cup to replace Brier as biggest event

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-04-14 10:19PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

The Sweeting worship by Cheryl is getting tiresome....never thought I,would miss Linda & her constant droning on about stats.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-05-14 07:44AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
The Sweeting worship by Cheryl is getting tiresome....never thought I,would miss Linda & her constant droning on about stats.

Day two, relax.

12-05-14 08:42AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Nope last night was day 3 today is day 4 and I still miss Linda. IMO - she was pretty neutral...no Sweeting worship like last night.

Maybe it is Homan's automotan like demeanour that rubs the commentators the wrong way. Very little emotion.

12-05-14 09:25AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Except here's your problem...

"To get into Grand Slams, you need to get points"

"Okay, great, how do I get points?"

"You participate in spiels which award points"

"Excellent, how do I get into those?"

"Invitations are given out on the basis of your point standings"

You should see the issue there...it's a self perpetuating system, play in a Grand Slam and you get points, because the folks with the most points are there, how are they there? Well, because they've played in previous Grand Slams...of course...

Might as well just admit it, create a Premiere League of Curling and give up any pretense of anyone being able to crack the top.

It is not a self perpetuating system. It is a "start in the mail-room" system and work your way up.

Start locally, win some spiels, and justify the expenses to travel. Win some of those and keep rolling the snowball until you hit the upper echelon. It's exactly how Brad Jacobs or any other top team has done it over the years if you look back early enough into any of their careers. Nobody was born into curling royalty and didn't have to work to get there. And, nobody should think that this happens overnight. Seriously Allen, come on!

12-05-14 01:31PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

Remember these are the same people who brought you the new revamped National playdown format.

So anything is possible.

12-05-14 02:23PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

How did Botcher, Casey, Blandford and Kean get in to the National? I think the fact is the best teams are in the slams because, well they are the best teams. There are 4 examples of newer teams playing in a slam..................

I may be mistaken, but didn't a few of the top teams pass on the National, which opened up some of those spots?

12-05-14 03:20PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Nope last night was day 3 today is day 4 and I still miss Linda. IMO - she was pretty neutral...no Sweeting worship like last night.

Maybe it is Homan's automotan like demeanour that rubs the commentators the wrong way. Very little emotion.

I have to agree. Cheryl finally opens up with some some decent commentary but immediately comes across as an Alberta homer. In fairness, being from the same province she probably knows Val quite well personally, so it's understandable for a newbie broadcaster. On the other hand she's not broadcasting a provincial final here, so more professionalism will be required in the future, assuming there is one.

I wonder about things, like, if we call an orange an "orange," then why don't we call a banana a "yellow" or an apple a "red"? Blueberries I understand, but will someone explain gooseberries to me?

12-05-14 03:21PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I may be mistaken, but didn't a few of the top teams pass on the National, which opened up some of those spots?

Think Netz is referring to Relegation in the Brier/Scotties.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

12-05-14 03:30PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:

Let's give Cheryl a chance to get her broadcasting legs underneath her. I can't even count how many times Ray Turnbull used to say "We're going to have to make the hit and roll..." (or some similar provincially aligned reference) when commentating for a Jennifer Jones game. Even Russ Howard had to learn how to tone down his obvious (and understandable) bias for Glenn when he first entered the broadcast booth.

12-05-14 04:26PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong

Let's give Cheryl a chance to get her broadcasting legs underneath her. I can't even count how many times Ray Turnbull used to say "We're going to have to make the hit and roll..." (or some similar provincially aligned reference) when commentating for a Jennifer Jones game. Even Russ Howard had to learn how to tone down his obvious (and understandable) bias for Glenn when he first entered the broadcast booth.

I think we should give Cheryl a fair trial. After all its only day three of the event. It started on Wednesday...correct. She's only covered three broadcasts so far.

12-05-14 10:04PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Hey Warren, here's something for you to consider:

In the past 20 years here in Toronto we've seen the following "growth" of the game:

The Terrace Club (right downtown)-16 sheets-GONE
Humber Highland (Etobicoke)-16 sheets-GONE
Avonlea (North York)-16 sheets-GONE
Boulevard Club (Toronto Lakeshore)-6 sheets-GONE

No new clubs on the horizon-there are more "dedicated" sheets of curling ice being constructed in Kazakhstan (2) than in the largest city in Canada (NEGATIVE FIFTY-FOUR).

Warren-I think you should be reviewing your job description.

12-06-14 11:14AM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

just thinking

Just an idea which would give Canada Cup some meat. Get rid of the Team Canada of the Scotties and Brier. Replace the Canada Cup and just an event which has the runner up of each provinces of the previous curling season be in the Canada Cup. The winners will get a spot for the Scotties and Brier.

This will showcase the talent that seems to only get show cased on the Slam Tours and in provinces which can be tough to get out of eg. Manitoba, Alberta. I'm sure McEwen would be all for it :D (though it seems like his chances to get punch his ticket to be in The Brier have improved a lot the way he's curling so far this season).

12-06-14 11:39AM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

The Canada Cup is doing fine, they should just give the players a bigger bone. Why only a pre-trial berth? Give them the golden ticket straight through to the trials.

And I have no interest in watching middle of the pack teams myself if I can watch the very best. I doubt I'm alone.

I wonder about things, like, if we call an orange an "orange," then why don't we call a banana a "yellow" or an apple a "red"? Blueberries I understand, but will someone explain gooseberries to me?

12-06-14 12:19PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by radiowave
The Canada Cup is doing fine, they should just give the players a bigger bone. Why only a pre-trial berth? Give them the golden ticket straight through to the trials.

And I have no interest in watching middle of the pack teams myself if I can watch the very best. I doubt I'm alone.

The Pre-Trials berth is just a token piece so they can promote the event as being part of the "Olympic Trials" process. No team good enough to win the Canada Cup this year will be happy with a Pre-Trials berth as their target it the Trials.

Last cycle (and likely similar process next 4 years) they gave a Trials berth to the Canada Cup winner in the 2 years prior to the Trials. Being this far out, they're not ready to award a full Trials berth yet.

The Pre-Trials berth is more just a marketing angle than an actual carrot for these teams.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

12-06-14 12:21PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Hey Warren, here's something for you to consider:

In the past 20 years here in Toronto we've seen the following "growth" of the game:

The Terrace Club (right downtown)-16 sheets-GONE
Humber Highland (Etobicoke)-16 sheets-GONE
Avonlea (North York)-16 sheets-GONE
Boulevard Club (Toronto Lakeshore)-6 sheets-GONE

No new clubs on the horizon-there are more "dedicated" sheets of curling ice being constructed in Kazakhstan (2) than in the largest city in Canada (NEGATIVE FIFTY-FOUR).

Warren-I think you should be reviewing your job description.

So what you're saying is the current system is working great?

Or maybe we should explore different ways of doing things to maybe fix the problems facing the sport?

12-06-14 12:43PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

The more that people dislike the idea the more Hanson will push it. Isn't he at or over retirement age?

12-06-14 04:22PM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

Pfft

Relax everyone. The Brier is an institution. It won't go any where because it encompasses all of Canada. Not an elite few.
Just take this drivel with a grain of salt, consider the source. From what I've seen over the years (and there are a few of them)... this clown falls all over himself trying to create things that he thinks might eventually fulfill his legacy.

12-06-14 06:10PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

CurlingNuts-I think that you make an extremely valid point. Gerry, you ask if there is a problem-I suggest that everybody take a look at a report that was commissioned by the University of Waterloo a couple of years ago. It concerns the demographics of Canadian curlers; the first section is concerning:

http://www.curling.ca/about-the-spo...anadian-curler/

While TSN may enjoy nice numbers for their curling events, it would appear as if the folks watching the games are of an older demographic-and a rural one at that.

This is the issue that the CCA seems to be either overlooking or struggling with. The long-term prospects in what is the greatest curling country in the world (sorry Scotland, but facts are facts) are less-than-rosy.

12-06-14 07:50PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Not much you can do except hope to attract more minorities in the future. Canada is becoming more urban and diverse by the day. Look at Toronto, 3 million in the GTA and 52% (or more) are minorities. If you include the entire Golden Horseshoe, that's 9 million with roughly the same split. More people are playing soccer in this country now then Hockey. This has MUCH MORE to do with decline then organizational issues. The times, they are a changin'

Last edited by radiowave on 12-06-14 at 08:06PM

12-07-14 06:49PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Radio, it's true that more people play soccer than hockey-it's becoming more and more a matter of economics-but what do these people do in the winter? Has the CCA ever considered an ad campaign directed toward minorities? We need to see the equivalent of a Lewis Hamilton (or 4) make it to the top levels of curling...are there any minority curlers/rinks that are close to breaking through?

If so, then Vic should do one of his features on them.

12-07-14 08:12PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Radio, it's true that more people play soccer than hockey-it's becoming more and more a matter of economics-but what do these people do in the winter? Has the CCA ever considered an ad campaign directed toward minorities? We need to see the equivalent of a Lewis Hamilton (or 4) make it to the top levels of curling...are there any minority curlers/rinks that are close to breaking through?

I think that ad with the Asian kid is directed to minorites...? "Hey look, it's not just middle-aged white guys with beer bellies!" There was also one last year as part of the same campaign where they showed a women's team with a black member....The problem is I'd bet most of the people watching these ads are Caucasians.

EJ Harnden had an interesting tweet last night:

"Trying to grow the sport of curling by airing curling commercials during curling broadcasts - not sure I agree with the media buy..." https://twitter.com/eharnden83/status/541446478250524672

Last edited by radiowave on 12-07-14 at 08:21PM

12-07-14 08:35PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

The cca is not going to attract anyone with those dorky out - of - date ads.
At least the ads during the masters where a little more hip featuring today's real stars.

12-08-14 01:11PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Manitoba-methinks you might have an excellent idea. If you look in other threads, you'll see my comments on the way that the Brier/Scotties could accommodate all teams (no elimination) using the local curling club-your idea would fit nicely...I guess that's why we'll never see it.

12-08-14 09:08PM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
The cca is not going to attract anyone with those dorky out - of - date ads.
At least the ads during the masters where a little more hip featuring today's real stars.

While we are the topic of advertising, I have never seen such repetitive advertising in all my life...sometimes back to back during the same break.

I'm ready to strangle someone over Tim Horton's Dark roast, M&M meats annoying penguin, and the Jennifer Jones WFG curling club commercial, where she gives us a touching home club ditty. While they are all done professionally, is there no one else that wants to advertise? And for the life of me, do the above three companies not have any other commercials to interchange so that viewers don't have to listen to the same drivel, no less than 16 times throughout the broadcast?

Which brings up a point. Home hardware was the lead tournament sponsor for the Canada Cup, yet they seemed to have 1/2 as many commercial spots?

Last edited by CURLING NUTS on 12-08-14 at 09:10PM

12-08-14 09:21PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CURLING NUTS

While we are the topic of advertising, I have never seen such repetitive advertising in all my life...sometimes back to back during the same break.

I'm ready to strangle someone over Tim Horton's Dark roast, M&M meats annoying penguin, and the Jennifer Jones WFG curling club commercial, where she gives us a touching home club ditty. While they are all done professionally, is there no one else that wants to advertise? And for the life of me, do the above three companies not have any other commercials to interchange so that viewers don't have to listen to the same drivel, no less than 16 times throughout the broadcast?

Which brings up a point. Home hardware was the lead tournament sponsor for the Canada Cup, yet they seemed to have 1/2 as many commercial spots?

In regards to the very annoying advertising, I have, for quite some time now, avoided it. I go to whatever channel the curling is on about 10 minutes after the scheduled starting time to avoid the advertising. I quickly turn the channel at the completion of each end and am in no hurry to turn it back to avoid some more advertising. The fourth/fifth end break? Well guess what, I find something else to watch on another channel. Problem solved.