Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Sydney, N.S.

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 11 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-26-19 10:28PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

AAAH Leafs. Love'm, Hate'm

I think you're safe predicting Stanley cup win, in 2030

Every year they win a few games and the parade route is released. I say win a playoff round or 2 first, then keep it to yourselves.

Brandon in 3 days!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-27-19 10:51AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

You'll be happy to hear that Brandon, which is also called "Snowmageddon" by some Manitobans , is having one of its warmest winters ever. The forecast lows for the next week are expected in the -21 to -28 range. This guarantees only one thing of course: nobody is going to be bothered by any mosquitoes.

Have a great week!

02-27-19 11:53AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Nothing like travelling from Weyburn to Yellowgrass during a whipping snowstorm to only fall prey to legendary Jack Keyes in the famed Yellowgrass Bonspiel - circa 1978-79.

I've also been snowbanked in Weyburn itself (needed RCMP to clear path to my home access door), Brandon, Morden & especially Winnipeg.

Snows have been relatively timid in southern manitoba last few years - paying for it this year!

02-27-19 10:25PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

So the 5th for Team Canada is Jill Officer. A bit surprised as I thought maybe Kaitlyn Lawes would get the nod.

02-27-19 10:43PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Respect. Nice. A bit surprised not from AB. Still, great choice.

02-27-19 11:04PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
So the 5th for Team Canada is Jill Officer. A bit surprised as I thought maybe Kaitlyn Lawes would get the nod.

Officer Jill is one of my all-time favorite curlers. This is great news. Moreso for Chels Carey, as Jill can easily serve as her off-ice lieutenant. Jill can handle a ton of media crush when called upon - she's an experienced hand, ex-TV news broadcaster (CKX Brandon).

Great fit on the front end if something happened to Dana or Brown.

Something happens to Wilkes - then Dana moves up to 3rd.

Something happens to Chelsea then Sarah skips, Dana plays 3rd, front end is Officer & Brown.

Inspired choice for Team Canada. Big strong brusher, too. Perhaps only 2nd to Jo Courtney in power.

02-27-19 11:13PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Amazing year for "retired" curler Jill Officer.

Goes from Team Canada 5th at Scott Tournament of Hearts

to 5th player at
World Women's Curling championship . . . .

There will be frustration curling with Chels Carey - cuz Carey can be extremely mercurial, often moody and have enormous in-game slumps around brilliant shots.

Big difference is Carey only lost 2 games in the entire STOH - played consistently (other than a game or two) in most of her matches and is expected to curl well at world level.

Jones looked as if she didn't know if she was foot or horseback at STOH. She was basically handing out winner's receipts to opposing teams.

At this point Carey is a far more trustworthy skip than JJ. Would really surprise me if Carey didn't make world playoffs. . . . . at that point all bets are off, cuz Anna Hasselborg is an absolute monster, Tirinzoni has a wonderful alliance w/ Alina Paetz out of Suisse and the asian and american team can give anyone a run for their money.

02-28-19 07:29AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Well I’m not a fan of bringing Officer as a 5th to the world’s. This is not based on ability, but, rather based on finding another current active player who can benefit from the experience at international competition. Officer has accomplished a lot, but, it would be nice to give someone else valuable experience.

02-28-19 08:48AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dks
Well I’m not a fan of bringing Officer as a 5th to the world’s. This is not based on ability, but, rather based on finding another current active player who can benefit from the experience at international competition. Officer has accomplished a lot, but, it would be nice to give someone else valuable experience.

I think that is the idea of a 5th, someone with valuable experience. I am sure if it were you team, you would also pick someone who has had all that experience and who has been behind the bench this year, doing all those things fifth players do.

02-28-19 09:19AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

I think that is the idea of a 5th, someone with valuable experience. I am sure if it were you team, you would also pick someone who has had all that experience and who has been behind the bench this year, doing all those things fifth players do.

Your view is the correct one. Jill has a wealth of experience at every level of the game including this year being the 5th for her former boss, Jennifer Jones.

She's still in good shape - obviously she feels that way or she wouldn't have accepted the job.

Putting in a young kid like Rocque or Laura Crocker might be slightly better if someone has to be inserted into the lineup for more than a game (or 2) but neither of these great ladies can hold a candle to Officer as far as experience is concerned.

It prolly came down to Officer & Lawes - and Carey had final word on who she brought aboard.

Sidenote - obviously Jennifer Jones & Rachel Homan have big personalities and 9 Scotties between them but neither would have been a good fit. Jones is too big a personality she would have been nothing more than a distraction. Rachel is a silent Joe - not a rah-rah type and can't imagine her doing all the grunt-work a 5th does.

02-28-19 03:08PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jennifer Jones to Denmark?

Now that Jill Officer has been assigned the job of 5th w/ Team Canada (Carey) at the World Womens - whether JJ will be making her way as defending gold medal skip?

Is it in the world curling authorities budget?

Does the defender usually return to present the gold medals?

Can Jones do ancillary duties like color-casting for USA, Scottish or any other english speaking broadcast outlets?

PS. If Jilly plays the requisite # of ends and Carey ends up winning gold that would put Jill at 3 world gold medals vs. Jones at only 2.

Already, Kaitlyn Lawes has 2 Olympic gold medals in curling to only 1 for Jones.

02-28-19 05:09PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Kate Caithness presents the gold medals and if it is in Canada one of the red coats help her.

02-28-19 08:17PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Jennifer Jones to Denmark?

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Now that Jill Officer has been assigned the job of 5th w/ Team Canada (Carey) at the World Womens - whether JJ will be making her way as defending gold medal skip?

Is it in the world curling authorities budget?

Does the defender usually return to present the gold medals?

Can Jones do ancillary duties like color-casting for USA, Scottish or any other english speaking broadcast outlets?

PS. If Jilly plays the requisite # of ends and Carey ends up winning gold that would put Jill at 3 world gold medals vs. Jones at only 2.

Already, Kaitlyn Lawes has 2 Olympic gold medals in curling to only 1 for Jones.

What a dumbass.

02-28-19 09:27PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Under Jilly's auspices I can safely predict a medal for Team Canada.

May not be a gold medal - cuz even at her best, Chelsea Carey can't stand up to Anna Hasselborg for consistency. From a spectacular shot point of view, both are very good, actually great - but Hasselborg does it on a near routine basis. Carey does NOT.

Sarah Wilkes is in her first worlds - and she's up against one of the elite world 3rds, Sara McManus. Tough sluggin'

Sweden has one of the great front ends in the game. Brown & Dana have been terrific on the canadian scene for years - first worlds!

But the fight for gold or bronze is wide open. Tirinzoni, now armed with a superb last rock flame-thrower (Paetz) is more dangerous than ever.

Who knows about the Scottish juniors. They did annihilate Eve Muirhead 3 times at the Scottish championships, didn't they?

Russia and at least one of the asian teams could also be trouble.

All I know is that Jill Officer just increased the chances of Chelsea Carey to medal - whether you're a malignant Carey-hater (like the last piece of vermin poster) or not!

02-28-19 11:05PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

See you next Tuesday.

03-01-19 07:12AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

with the world field finalised i will say this: it's underwhelming no muirhead, no fujisawa, no sidorova and no eun jung kim. 4 of the best teams in the world not there.

the 3 favorites are canada, sweden and switzerland for sure.

dark horses are south korea and united states.

ones to watch out for might be germany who got bronze at the europeans and have had a strong season on tour and russia.

03-01-19 10:50AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Russian Anna might be up to her old tricks - ie. winning tons of games but falling short in gold medal encounters.

She's been better of recent - can't leave her off the hardcore contenders.

Her problem at times is an inability to deal with frustration or disappointment. Tends to disassociate from reality and not even care about whats going on. Chels Carey had the same problem but seems to have rectified.

03-01-19 05:28PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

I would like to propose a friendly wager with the one and only Manitoba idiot. I will give you 10-1 odds that “Russian Anna” will not make the top 5. You name the price.

03-03-19 11:59PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

LOL!!! You POS.

03-22-19 02:57AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Russian Anna might be up to her old tricks - ie. winning tons of games but falling short in gold medal encounters.

She's been better of recent - can't leave her off the hardcore contenders.

Her problem at times is an inability to deal with frustration or disappointment. Tends to disassociate from reality and not even care about whats going on. Chels Carey had the same problem but seems to have rectified.

How’s this going for you Manitoba idiot?

03-22-19 07:13AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

GET HELP