Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Dumontelle Banned For Steroid Use

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
07-03-13 12:55PM
Skinz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skinz Click here to Send Skinz a Private Message Find more posts by Skinz Add Skinz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skinz
Harvey Hacksmasher

Dumontelle Banned For Steroid Use

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/0...for-steroid-use

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-03-13 01:01PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's unfair (innocent until proven guilty) but as we've seen in other sports, the whispers, rumours and innuendo will follow and dog Team Jacobs this season.

http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...teroid-use.html

07-03-13 01:42PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I don't think rumours will follow the Jacobs rink. He's just their alternate. No need to question or take things out on the rest of the guys unless we're given a reason. This isn't baseball.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

07-03-13 07:47PM
Unregistered

Question

Curling is one of the very sports which there can't be any benefit from using steroids or you can break your broom :D If there's going to be any testing, it would be a breathalyzer test not to say anybody was curling while being drunk on tv.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

07-03-13 08:10PM
Unregistered

getting a little sick of judges making mountains out of mole hills .. pretty sure the shirtless guy mowing his lawn 4 houses down takes suplements - not

doubt that supplements can affect curling performance... one of the side affects is baldness ... lol

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

07-03-13 10:14PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Curling is one of the very sports which there can't be any benefit from using steroids

I am not making a mountain out of a mole hill. THere is a good chance that this is just a random mistake. However, I remember a lot of people 15 years ago saying baseball was one of the sports which there can't be a benefit of using steroids. Players needed to be flexible to throw and hit. They couldn't throw, hit or run while bulked up.
We all know how that turned out.
The important thing to remember is that curling is a game of fairness. If someone is taking a banned substance it no longer makes the game fair.

Hopefully this is a random mistake and it's not an issue, but to ignore it and say there is no benefit to the game is putting our heads in the sand.

07-03-13 11:33PM
Unregistered

the guy never threw a rock or swept one ... i wouldnt play 5th for a team that didnt put me in the lineup once in awhile..

two years is big time overkill on this VERY minor incident.... imho

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

07-04-13 02:01AM
Unregistered

Even though the kids press release was obviously written by the good folks at the CCA, it appears that it wasn't intensional use as the steroid was mixed into a supplement he was using.

It would also explain why none of the other team members tested positive. The kid seems humble enough and embarrassed by what is really a brain fart-not reading an ingredients list for gawdsakes.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.188

07-04-13 12:44PM
Unregistered

Hold on a minute here. Methandrostenolone is not your every day chemical that just so happens to find its way into your protein shake.

Methandrostenolone (trade names Averbol, Dianabol, Danabol), also known as metandienone (INN) or methandienone, is an orally-effective anabolic steroid originally developed in Germany and released in the US in the early 1960s by Ciba Specialty Chemicals.[1][2] Methandrostenolone is a controlled substance in the United States[3] and Western Europe and remains popular among bodybuilders. An injectable form is sold online from United States based companies. Methandrostenolone is readily available without a prescription in countries such as Mexico (under the trade name Reforvit-b), and is also being manufactured in Asia and many East European countries.

To me there was some intent to take this. I sure he is sorry, and the rest of the team is running as far from him as possible, but please do not try and soft this over as he was unaware of what he was taking.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.150.118.139

07-04-13 12:57PM
Unregistered

Thanks Wikipedia

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

07-04-13 10:44PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Was everyone tested or was this just random and happened to be on the fifth man?

07-05-13 09:13AM
Unregistered

They were all tested

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.219.69.130

07-05-13 12:32PM
Unregistered

I cant remember alot of cases where curlers got busted like this. I know armstrong got busted a while back and the alternate on andrea schopp's team was also caught a couple of years ago.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

07-05-13 06:16PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Joe Frans was several hearts ago when he played with John Morris, I think.

07-06-13 12:04AM
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes, Frans had a two-year ban after testing positive for cocaine in 2005 at the Brier.
At the time it was out of left-field, as Frans was known to have a good time, but was generally known (and still has a reputation) as an all-around good guy.
American Mitchell Markes was suspended around the same time as Frans for two years for refusing to take an out-of-competition drug test.
Drug testing has been performed at Canadian national curling events since it became an Olympic sport in 1998.
Any competitors feel free to provide the correct information, but I thought that four curlers at random are tested at national events. I don't think they test everybody.

07-06-13 11:36AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I am a bit disappointed in the curling community's seemingly easy attitude about the violation and suspension...particularly Milo Bloom's latest edition of Curling With Math.

Yes, a two year suspension for a banned substance that does not really give any advantage in our sport may seem harsh. Yet this is when and this is how we avoid more grave problems in the future.

Don't fool yourself. As a sport based largely on concentration, focus and touch, we will see pharmaceutical aides that can give teams a real advantage. We don't need teams popping speed to win titles. We don't need athletes sacrificing their long-term well-being for short-term success.

So this fairly major sentence for a fairly minor offence is exactly what we need right now.

Ben Tucker
Drug free in North Dakota...unless you count nicotine, alcohol and caffeine

07-06-13 10:21PM
guycan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guycan Click here to Send guycan a Private Message Find more posts by guycan Add guycan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guycan
Swing Artist

quote:
I cant remember alot of cases where curlers got busted like this. I know armstrong got busted a while back and the alternate on andrea schopp's team was also caught a couple of years ago.

Just to clarify that the alternate on Team Schöpp (Tina Tichatschke) was not necessarily "caught" for a drug infraction. Her suspension was based on the fact that she did not report her whereabouts while away in Australia for school. Her suspension was 6 months for this infraction prior to the WWCC 2009.

07-08-13 07:43AM
Unregistered

quote:
They were all tested

they dont test everyone, lies. your lucky if they test 1 per team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.137.77.151

07-08-13 07:47AM
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Someone told me that they used to test four curlers at random at national events. Not sure if that's still the way they do things

07-08-13 10:43AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I am a bit disappointed in the curling community's seemingly easy attitude about the violation and suspension...particularly Milo Bloom's latest edition of Curling With Math.

The governing body does not take the easy attitude and that's what counts.

Long live the Belly Putter and the Curling Stick.

07-08-13 05:42PM
Unregistered

When you consider that a curling team often is coached, and is trained by, one individual; should not the entire team have to submit for testing when one member tests positive for a banned substance?

An excellent example is Charlie Francis and the runners he led. Many of whom were on steroids at his insistence.

To me this is only common sense. It's not an accusation of wrongdoing, its confirming the innocence of the other team members and protecting the integrity of our sport.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.152

07-08-13 07:04PM
spfeifer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spfeifer Click here to Send spfeifer a Private Message Find more posts by spfeifer Add spfeifer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spfeifer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Wally Curler
Someone told me that they used to test four curlers at random at national events. Not sure if that's still the way they do things

Typically there is random testing sometime during the week that would cover all the competitors in the event, then there is separate testing for the finalists (usually 2 players per team) right after the final is played.... oh, and there is also the possibility of a knock on your door at home while mowing your lawn on a Sunday evening

07-09-13 11:38AM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

Lots of details at the links listed on the CCA site: http://www.curling.ca/programs-and-...-doping-program.

07-10-13 09:41PM
icemnnjack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icemnnjack Find more posts by icemnnjack Add icemnnjack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icemnnjack
Harvey Hacksmasher

i have received good info from a source close to the player, a lawyer, that the substance in question is included in a medication that the player takes or has taken for rheumatoid arthritis and is used in an injection. i personally know matt, and have many chats with him, especially in march, he curled weekly at my club, he did tell me about having to take his injection during a smoke one day in march, and if this is the case, who knows, he still should have researched better, or asked his doctor, he is not a big person nor works out on a regular basis, for the most part he is a very nice guy( my son even carried his team sign at provincial mixed this year) I canot see any intent on his part to try to enhance any performence, he is a great curler, throws 4 second hits like nothng, and can out sweep most guys on the tour, so..... a giant brain fart... maybe. lack of thought probably. intent.... unlikley.... time to move on and enjoy the upcoming year cause its going to be a good one!

07-11-13 02:59PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by icemnnjack
i have received good info from a source close to the player, a lawyer, that the substance in question is included in a medication that the player takes or has taken for rheumatoid arthritis and is used in an injection. i personally know matt, and have many chats with him, especially in march, he curled weekly at my club, he did tell me about having to take his injection during a smoke one day in march, and if this is the case, who knows, he still should have researched better, or asked his doctor, he is not a big person nor works out on a regular basis, for the most part he is a very nice guy( my son even carried his team sign at provincial mixed this year) I canot see any intent on his part to try to enhance any performence, he is a great curler, throws 4 second hits like nothng, and can out sweep most guys on the tour, so..... a giant brain fart... maybe. lack of thought probably. intent.... unlikley.... time to move on and enjoy the upcoming year cause its going to be a good one!

Is the source a lawyer or the player?
People with RA should not be smoking, should they?