Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Classifieds > Gear Zone/Classifieds > The Curling Stone Speedtrap

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-20-09 06:01PM
hughmurf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hughmurf Click here to Send hughmurf a Private Message Visit hughmurf's homepage! Find more posts by hughmurf Add hughmurf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: The Curling Stone Speedtrap

quote:
Originally posted by DougSuerich
Is there any sort of output on the display box that can interface with a laptop? Auto-capture of data from this could be useful in charting rocks, etc.

No...there is no computer interface to do this currently. In fact, that's one of the elements of the $1800 Brower system that we stripped out specifically to save on costs. That said, I have been using the system to chart rocks to some degree already... the process of throwing stones is pretty slow to begin with...so the concern about logging times as a part of all the data that needs to be captured in order to get into a data modeling exercise was pretty low on my concerns list. Actually, I'm quite interested that you've brought the matter up Perhaps it is more important than I had imagined.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-20-09 06:08PM
hughmurf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hughmurf Click here to Send hughmurf a Private Message Visit hughmurf's homepage! Find more posts by hughmurf Add hughmurf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I don't have a good feel for what speed a rock travels at. What speeds are you getting for a draw? a takeout?

Draws on 24 second ice (Hog to stop) typically cross the first hog line traveling about 2.625 meters per second.
A rocket-ship peel will run about 5.4 meters per second.

I am loving being able to "establish a number" in my mind...and then practice throwing that number. It's great, regardless of whether I'm throwing a guard, a tee-line draw or a peel. I have objective biofeedback without anyone else's assistance.

04-20-09 06:12PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
What kind of batteries does it take? What is the battery life?

Currently it's set up so that each of the three boxes contains 4 C-cell batteries. I'll ask my engineer-brother what the anticipated life of a set of batteries is.

I know that he is looking at changing to AA cells.

What's your interest in this particular matter?

04-20-09 06:21PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Does your system compensate for line of delivery? It looks like you are measuring about a 3" distance of travel for a rock thrown straight down the center line. If I throw a rock aimed at the outside 12, the rock cuts across your speed trap on an angle, increasing the distance traveled by a small amount. Does that change anything?

What an interesting question! Not one that I'd considered, in fact!

But, now that you've thrown it out, we'll give it some thought. The answer will quite certainly be "yes," but my instinct is to say that the difference will be almost imperceptible. Here's what I will offer: you are correct, yourself...the additional distance traveled is small indeed.

Never the less...we'll work on this for you!

04-20-09 06:27PM
DougSuerich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DougSuerich Click here to Send DougSuerich a Private Message Find more posts by DougSuerich Add DougSuerich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DougSuerich
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: The Curling Stone Speedtrap

quote:
Originally posted by hughmurf
What's your interest in this particular matter?

I want to win the Brier, what else?

Rather more realistically, if this works as described and you can sell it for $200 I'm pretty sure my club would buy at least one for general use. One concern would be finding an easy way to keep it supplied with batteries in a club setting, ideally rechargeables.

04-20-09 06:46PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Curling Stone Speedtrap

quote:
One concern would be finding an easy way to keep it supplied with batteries in a club setting, ideally rechargeables.

Ok... the answer is in. The C cells will allow the system to be left on for about 115 hours. So that's the life after which you'd need to replace the batteries.

04-20-09 09:26PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Does your system compensate for line of delivery? It looks like you are measuring about a 3" distance of travel for a rock thrown straight down the center line. If I throw a rock aimed at the outside 12, the rock cuts across your speed trap on an angle, increasing the distance traveled by a small amount. Does that change anything?

Ok... with a bit of help from Pythagoras we have calculated the additional distance that the stone will travel as it passes thru the beams at an angle that corresponds to throwing at the corner of the 12ft rather than dead down the middle of the sheet. With the distance between the light beams (about 4inches being the thickness of the hog line) the increased distansce the stone has to travel if it's running at the corner of the 12ft is a grand 1.172 milimeters. Worked it out in inches, it comes to 0.0462".

That's slightly less than a 1% increase in measurement length. So, I'm gonna take my chances and say that this isn't going to affect the speed reading very much...but we'll continue with this arithmetic anyway.

04-21-09 12:25PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

I spoke out of school...

I conferred with my engineer/brother...and he laughed at my use of Pythagorean calculations. He offered a trigonometric estimation instead:

"Leave the engineering to me, dude. The extra distance the stone has to travel between the two beams is actually 90.65 thousandths of a millimeter (aka 91 micrometers). This amounts to an increase in length of 0.113%. Essentially, if the guy's speed reading would have been 1.435 m/s it would have clocked at about 1.434 m/s. Considering we're really only aiming for + or - 0.01 m/s, it doesn't really factor in."

I might pick this back up with him...but for now, I'll leave the arithmetic to him. I'll report back if I can beat him down on this matter.

04-21-09 01:49PM
DougSuerich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DougSuerich Click here to Send DougSuerich a Private Message Find more posts by DougSuerich Add DougSuerich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DougSuerich
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
"Leave the engineering to me, dude. The extra distance the stone has to travel between the two beams is actually 90.65 thousandths of a millimeter (aka 91 micrometers). This amounts to an increase in length of 0.113%."

I ran the trig myself, and got the same answer as your brother. So suffice it to say the difference is negligible.

04-21-09 03:51PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I ran the trig myself, and got the same answer as your brother. So suffice it to say the difference is negligible.

Well...bully for the two of you.
(I'll leave the arithmetic alone from here on.)
I'm pleased to have it double checked and confirmed...in any case...Thx!

06-21-09 05:06PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Hey there,

Is there any chance of getting one of these for the $200.00 you spoke of or are you still in the testing phase? I am working with some High Performance athletes and run a bunch of clinics and know that this system would be incredibly helpful with the features you have mentioned.

My e-mail address is kenedmac at shaw.ca if you want to let me know the status of your product.

Thanks

Ken

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.59.144.85

07-03-09 01:24PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

In production!

We're currently producing Curling Stone Speedtraps! (Very exciting for us.) We built them ourselves after receiving feedback from a group of people that tested the version 1 systems pictured above. Building them ourselves, we have found, isn't really cost effective, so we're speaking with some firms that may be able to put larger scale production of these together.

We have completyed a small production run of 50 version 2 systems. Most of the 50 version 2 systems are spoken for...but we're retaining a number of these as trial units.

Let us know if you'd like to trial or order one.

murf.

07-07-09 06:39PM
AccuShot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AccuShot Click here to Send AccuShot a Private Message Find more posts by AccuShot Add AccuShot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AccuShot
Knee-Slider

HI everyone,

Check out my post called "Rock Timer." We have developed a product with the capabilities of the speed trap plus a few extra features. Its an alternative option if you want to be able to do more. Let me know what you think!

Brandon Corbett (Inventor of "AccuShot Rock Timer")

07-09-09 02:20PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

Brandon...

Thanks for your note about the Accushot. Sounds like you've developed a good tool, too.

As GregW points out, however, the US$730 = CN$860 = more than most curlers will spend. It's a good deal less costly than Mark Brower's $1,800 system that I discussed earlier in this thread...but it's still too expensive for most individuals (or even teams.) At least that's our thinking.

Again, our objective with the SpeedTrap is to make a tool that is accessible and affordable but, above all, very functional. The SpeedTrap isn't about bells and whistles; we've stripped all of those away and we have focused only on two things:

1) Essential instantaneous biofeedback for the athlete

and

2) Precision of speed measurement for the icemaker.

Clubs may find your $860 a reasonable cost, however. Especially if you build software that will help them map the stones and match them.

We've been taking a more simple approach to using the device in stone matching. In matching stones with the SpeedTrap, users will have to set up a series of the SpeedTrap’s eyes – much as JohnMinnaar sugested in the icemakers' thread – and log speeds manually. These will then have to be input – again manually – into a spreadsheet that is designed to make the deceleration calculations for the rock matching process.

The long and short... The SpeedTrap's process is certainly not as elegant as the Accushot's promise of automatic stone matching! So, I suspect you'll still find demand for your more sophisticated product...even at more than three times the price of the SpeedTrap.

Murf.

07-12-09 11:08AM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

Extended Battery Life - An Act of Green

quote:

Ok... the answer is in. The C cells will allow the system to be left on for about 115 hours. So that's the life after which you'd need to replace the batteries.

Not that it's a big deal, but the prototypes were updated after a ton of testing. As a result, the updated SpeedTrap has a reduced power consumption. The battery life anticipated is thus extended from 115 hrs of continuous use to 153 hrs.

How's that for an Act of Green, George!

07-12-09 10:04PM
Unregistered

When is the next manufacturing run and what kind of feedback are you getting from the people who bought the first run? (if any since not curling season)

how many and what type of drills do you see this product?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.46.193.2

07-13-09 07:22PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
how many and what type of drills do you see this product?

It strikes me that there are a set of very obvious drills that one should work on with this tool. Below is one. I'll offer a few others in subsequent notes. And, if you have ideas...please do offer them.

1. Work on Throwing the Same Speed (This is a natural.)
Use bio-feedback to improve your ability to throw the same speed time after time. Normally you might throw stone after stone and assess the consistency of your weight by seeing how far your stone travels. (A pretty important exercise, we¡¦ll grant you that.)

a. Prepare yourself in the hack to throw a stone as you normally would.

b. Deliver your stone paying particular attention to the feeling of the strength of your drive from the hack.

c. Release the stone -- as you always should -- before the hog-line.

d. Immediately review your stone's speed on the display.

e. Internalize the speed output from the display and associate it with the feeling of the strength of your drive from the hack.

f. Try to duplicate the same speed with subsequent deliveries.

As a part of this exercise (and others)Verbalize to Create a Contract with Yourself
You might find this odd, but verbalizing will almost certainly help you improve. When you are using the SpeedTrap, you should:
1. Always think of the speed that you want to throw
2. Verbalize (yes, aloud) the speed that you want to throw before you deliver
3. Deliver with the intention of sliding at the speed that is your objective... and then, immediately
4. Observe the actual result, i.e., the speed on the display
5. Verbalize (again aloud) the actual speed.
6. Assess the actual relative to the desired.
7. If your actual and desired speeds were:
-- the same (or almost the same), say, good control; a positive affirmation.
-- too slow relative to the desired speed, say, too slow, I¡¦ll drive a little harder
-- too fast, say, too fast, Ill drive a little slower.
These short, simple vocal affirmations are the completion of your contract with yourself. They are praise if you were successful and constructive criticism if you were not successful with your last shot. At the completion of this contract, you put it aside and move to the next shot¡Kmuch like you must learn to do during a game.

Note:
Verbalizing/vocalizing both the objectives and the results during the exercise is a very constructive part of the learning process. It will almost certainly improve the results of your training. Training silently -- with your thoughts occurring only in your head -- will generally produce inferior results. Verbalizing does a number of things:

1. It forces you to concentrate more on your task at hand. This, in itself, will improve the quality of your training efforts.

2. It objectifies both your goal and your acceptance of the results. This makes you more accountable for what you intend to do and what you actually do. Essentially, when you state your goal overtly, you create a contract with yourself. Immediately after you throw, you assess the quality of your performance and you admit this assessment overtly. Then you decide what corrective action you will commit to in order to improve.

07-15-09 10:40PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Price.

$250. That's the price.
(I know, I said in an earlier post that the price might be $200...but we just can't do that.)

07-16-09 04:18PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

System Callibration

If anyone has worked with one of the few other systems that have been designed to do a similar sort of thing to The SpeedTrap, could you explain the callibration isues and/or process that you've experienced?

A few people have asked how hard it is to callibrate The SpeedTrap...because callibrating is apparently a pain in the butt with other systems. I don't properly understand what callibration these systems are forcing people to do. The SpeedTrap doesn`t make users do any callibrating.

07-19-09 02:26AM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

YouTube

OK. It took me a while...but I have taken the video that we recorded back in March `09 and I've made a YouTube of it.

Please appreciate that what you're looking at in this YouTube is our prototype version 1. The decals are simply taped onto the unit...and they look pretty sad. The units that we've produced look rather better than these. Regardless, the system is wonderfully precise.

Have a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYgMlbmo_78

Questions, comments and concerns will be appreciated!

07-22-09 12:05PM
Chris Sobkowicz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Sobkowicz Click here to Send Chris Sobkowicz a Private Message Find more posts by Chris Sobkowicz Add Chris Sobkowicz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Sobkowicz
Knee-Slider

I have read all your information regarding the speed trap and would like to order. How do we contact you? This is a wonderful tool for wheelchair curlers.

07-22-09 12:55PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Sobkowicz
I have read all your information regarding the speed trap and would like to order. How do we contact you? This is a wonderful tool for wheelchair curlers.

Are you working with Wendy Morgan?
Wil you be in Edmonton later this week/month?

07-22-09 02:34PM
Chris Sobkowicz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Sobkowicz Click here to Send Chris Sobkowicz a Private Message Find more posts by Chris Sobkowicz Add Chris Sobkowicz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Sobkowicz
Knee-Slider

Yes.....Wendy is the Team Leader for Team Canada. I'm just off to Edmonton this afternoon for a Team Canada High Performance session at the Saville Centre. You can also reach me at csobkowicz@winnipeg.ca

Sounds like you have a real winner. I'd like to test your product. I think it will be perfect for my training needs.

07-22-09 04:26PM
hughmurf
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Sobkowicz
Yes.....Wendy is the Team Leader for Team Canada. I'm just off to Edmonton this afternoon for a Team Canada High Performance session at the Saville Centre. You can also reach me at csobkowicz@winnipeg.ca

Sounds like you have a real winner. I'd like to test your product. I think it will be perfect for my training needs.

Well...we're delivering a bunch of them to the Saville later this week for your use...so I'll look forward to getting your direct feedback on them.

Actually, it was CCA's Paul Webster that arranged for The SpeedTraps...but I know Wendy from the curling scene in this neighbourhood...and when I spoke with her a couple of weeks ago she indicated that she'd be in Edmonton this coming weekend...specifically to do with her work with your group.

I hope it goes well for you! (And I sure hope The SpeedTrap systems live up to your expectations!)

07-25-09 07:52AM
Unregistered

If you want icemaker feed back, can always talk to me at Saville.

Dan

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 75.152.101.243