Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-14 07:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

2014 World Mixed Doubles

Well the season is almost over. this and the seniors are the last events of the season of champions.Seems like this went by way to fast..but then again I say that about every season.

can Canada win their first gold? not sure

Sweden, hungary and Czech republic are the favorites.Austria has their former bronze medal winners here so they could contend. I don't think Switzerland has that strong a team this year. France has angiboust on it and he was always the best shot maker on the France team so if his partner is good they could contend.
Norway and China also look like they have strong teams.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-14 08:34PM
Itchy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itchy Find more posts by Itchy Add Itchy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itchy
Knee-Slider

Thumbs up

They can and they will . The Tucks will get er done !

04-07-14 10:09PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Not sure what mixed doubles is.. but it isn't curling. Don't care at all who wins and who does not.

04-08-14 12:55AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I've looked at Mixed Doubles as a way to introduce the game to new countries-nothing more or less.

04-08-14 01:07AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Mixed doubles seems to be as much about luck, as it is about skill. I've played the format a few times... enough to know that I don't really like it.

There is far too much randomness in the game that can affect the outcome. And the rule that you can't hit any stone in the house, not just the guards, until after the fourth stone is delivered (not counting the two already in play prior to the start of the end) is silly. It turns the game into a junked up mess... and really eliminates a lot of the skills of the game.

It's great for countries that can't get decent teams together, but have the ability to concentrate resources on a couple of curlers. So I'm sure we'll be seeing it in the Olympics soon... but I'd rather see a true mixed event instead.

04-08-14 11:33AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack
Mixed doubles seems to be as much about luck, as it is about skill. I've played the format a few times... enough to know that I don't really like it.

There is far too much randomness in the game that can affect the outcome.

How is there more randomness in Doubles than a normal game? There is less sweeping but assuming you learn to sweep your own rocks (which any good mixed doubles team will have to do) that difference is minor.

04-08-14 11:41AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman

How is there more randomness in Doubles than a normal game? There is less sweeping but assuming you learn to sweep your own rocks (which any good mixed doubles team will have to do) that difference is minor.

You have one sweeper, and only for about 2/3 or half the distance the rock will travel (it takes a bit to pop up and sweep after delivering the stone, and the person in the house can't leave the house until the rock has been released). And even less for a hit.

Sweeping is far less effective in mixed doubles. The difference is NOT minor, it's significant.

The game still takes skill, but with the rules as they are currently set, it takes out a lot of the skills that "regular" curling has in place.

04-08-14 01:47PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I think mixed double actually requires a great amount of skill. Because this format requires you to make the shot with less or no sweeping it , in my view actually says something about the ability of the thrower to throw the shot needed.

I also think that mixed doubles has a good principle going in that it forces teams to be more aggressive. Isnt a lack of rocks in play a major complaint about todays game?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.150

04-08-14 04:05PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Not really seeing your points there JustAnotherHack. Regardless of how much less sweeping there is it doesn't make the shots random.

Now you're saying that Doubles takes out a lot of skills from the regular game. Which ones? You still play every type of shot. Having only two people makes it a bit harder to precisely execute those shots. But that means it takes more skill than the regular game to be successful.

I think the rules do result in many ends playing out in a similar way because of how the rocks are pre-positioned every end. There could be some interesting ways to tweek the rules a bit to allow more variety in the game.

Doubles isn't perfect but it can be a very fun game and if it ends up getting more exposure for curling in general that's a good thing!

04-08-14 05:18PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Having played USA Mixed Doubles Nationals this past December (and having only played one games of mixed doubles EVER prior to that), I'll say these things about it:

- It does wonders for your draw weight, and your overall touch.
- Maximum precision is difficult because you only have one sweeper most of the time.
- I was more mentally drained after that weekend than any event I've played in, probably because you have a mess of rocks in play almost every end and have to think about setup and what you leave so much.
- It's lightning fast. Before you know it you're at the halfway point.
- It's fun for sure, but definitely lacks the nuances of the full team game.
- No lead is safe. Ever.

I'd still call it curling since the basic mechanics are essentially the same, but beyond that it is a completely different game. It's not for everybody. It does get more, smaller countries involved in the sport though, and that's hardly a bad thing.

04-08-14 07:03PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

Maybe the WCF is having second thoughts on the Mixed doubles, as they will be holding regular mixed (2males/2females)European Championship in Sep 2014:

http://www.worldcurling.org/europea...ampionship-2014

04-08-14 07:09PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
Maybe the WCF is having second thoughts on the Mixed doubles, as they will be holding regular mixed (2males/2females)European Championship in Sep 2014:

http://www.worldcurling.org/europea...ampionship-2014

European Mixed Championship has existed since 2005.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ng_Championship

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-09-14 12:24AM
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
Having played USA Mixed Doubles Nationals this past December (and having only played one games of mixed doubles EVER prior to that), I'll say these things about it:

- It does wonders for your draw weight, and your overall touch.
- Maximum precision is difficult because you only have one sweeper most of the time.
- I was more mentally drained after that weekend than any event I've played in, probably because you have a mess of rocks in play almost every end and have to think about setup and what you leave so much.
- It's lightning fast. Before you know it you're at the halfway point.
- It's fun for sure, but definitely lacks the nuances of the full team game.
- No lead is safe. Ever.

I'd still call it curling since the basic mechanics are essentially the same, but beyond that it is a completely different game. It's not for everybody. It does get more, smaller countries involved in the sport though, and that's hardly a bad thing.

That's been my experience in the format. And the fact that it become so random at times with the amount of rocks in play... bad shots can still luck out with good results. Generally skill will still play out but it allows for luck to play a greater factor.

It's all about draws (which is a skill, no doubt about that), but it really eliminates a part of the game, the ability to hit accurately. I would be ok with mixed doubles (somewhat) if they employed a more tradition free guard zone rule, and allowed you to go after rocks that are in the house. Current rules don't allow this until after the fourth rock delivered... and since there are only five rocks delivered per team, you can't hit until the final stone. It'll still allow for a lot of rocks in play, but it won't become quite as much of a junky mess that the game usually becomes.

And it does lack the nuances of the full game. By eliminating half of the game (hitting), it isn't really curling any more.

It will encourage more countries to participate, and like I said, that's a great thing. But it's still a bit of a gimmick version of the game which eliminates a lot of what makes curling so interesting.

I would be more interesting if the WCF added a full mixed event to the world championship calender. Canada, US and the Europeans all have events, and I'm sure other countries would as well if the WCF encourage it and developed a world championship.

Last edited by JustAnotherHack on 04-09-14 at 12:27AM

04-09-14 09:10AM
Keaner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keaner Click here to Send Keaner a Private Message Find more posts by Keaner Add Keaner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keaner
Harvey Hacksmasher

Future of Mixed and Mixed Doubles

I participated in the Canadian Mixed Doubles Championship this season and had a blast. I love how aggressive the game is and while the ends start looking a lot the same, it's similar to Skins in the sense that you need to own the four foot.

Sweeping is a huge factor. Where I found it really important was in holding the line. A simple clean actually does quite a bit so it's important in Mixed Doubles to at least have a broom down. I also found Mixed Doubles a refreshing change from regular curling. Every shot is so much more important, a half shot can be devastating.

It was actually made known by Jim Waite that Mixed Doubles is really close to being announced as the 2nd curling discipline. It is expected to be in the 2018 Olympics. In addition to that announcement Jim said that the European Mixed Championship is very likely to become the World Mixed Championship meaning Canadian Mixed isn't going anywhere.

I had heard about the WCF's want to get more curling disciplines into the Olympics several years ago. At the time the plan was to build up Mixed Doubles first as more countries can be involved, something the IOC looks for. It seems to me the WCF's plan is working out as planned. I would expect Mixed to be in the Olympics in either 2022 or 2026.

At the end of the day the IOC is all about money and we all know that curling is one of the largest draws at the Winter Olympics.

04-09-14 03:58PM
Unregistered

Re: Future of Mixed and Mixed Doubles

quote:
Originally posted by Keaner
I participated in the Canadian Mixed Doubles Championship this season and had a blast. I love how aggressive the game is and while the ends start looking a lot the same, it's similar to Skins in the sense that you need to own the four foot.

Sweeping is a huge factor. Where I found it really important was in holding the line. A simple clean actually does quite a bit so it's important in Mixed Doubles to at least have a broom down. I also found Mixed Doubles a refreshing change from regular curling. Every shot is so much more important, a half shot can be devastating.

It was actually made known by Jim Waite that Mixed Doubles is really close to being announced as the 2nd curling discipline. It is expected to be in the 2018 Olympics. In addition to that announcement Jim said that the European Mixed Championship is very likely to become the World Mixed Championship meaning Canadian Mixed isn't going anywhere.

I had heard about the WCF's want to get more curling disciplines into the Olympics several years ago. At the time the plan was to build up Mixed Doubles first as more countries can be involved, something the IOC looks for. It seems to me the WCF's plan is working out as planned. I would expect Mixed to be in the Olympics in either 2022 or 2026.

At the end of the day the IOC is all about money and we all know that curling is one of the largest draws at the Winter Olympics.

Thanks for the input Mark, very much appreciated.

I love hearing that mixed is going to become a full fledged world event. I always wondered why it wasn't developed into a world championship while the Canadians and europeans both already have mixed nationals.

Ive been running a fantasy mixed championship myself for a while now

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-09-14 07:22PM
Unregistered

Honestly, Canada has no chance. This sport is a lot different then regular curling and there are many European countries that have teams dedicated to this instead of thrown together for provincial and national championships. The only way Canada has a chance at winning doubles is to actually have a doubles program. Canadians cannot rely on their curling skills alone to excel at doubles, it's an entirely different strategy and style of play.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.54.60.114

04-09-14 07:58PM
Unregistered

Mixed Doubles is not REAL curling. Makes a mockery of what curling really is. It is a joke. Cannot seeing Jim Waite being corrext...it is a waste and you you will never attract the best curlers...waste of money.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.71.16.168

04-09-14 08:48PM
Itchy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itchy Find more posts by Itchy Add Itchy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itchy
Knee-Slider

So I guess John Morris and Heather Smith are not ranked as "top curlers" and they must have lucked out at getting to the Canadian Finals as you "cannot rely on curling skills alone to excel at doubles" ??

04-09-14 09:20PM
Keaner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keaner Click here to Send Keaner a Private Message Find more posts by Keaner Add Keaner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keaner
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mixed Doubles is going to start popping up across the country in the next few years. It may not happen right away, but once it's officially in the Olympics there will be a boom. The CCA has already expressed a high interest in having clubs start leagues and people to start creating bonspiels so Canadian curlers can begin to train for this new discipline. Like mentioned previously Canada has no chance if it is simply a game played once a year at the National Championship. The CCA knows this, Hungary winning the Worlds a year ago is proof that the rest of the World is ahead of us.

I would recommend anyone who has a negative taste in their mouth about Mixed Doubles to actually try it. A lot of the curlers at the Mixed Doubles Championships didn't expect to like it, but once out on the ice competing loved it. Talking to John Morris and he said it was more fun than regular curling, because the game forces you to be aggressive. Personally, I love both types of curling and any chance I get to be on the ice competing is great to me.

04-10-14 02:47PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Mixed Doubles is not REAL curling. Makes a mockery of what curling really is. It is a joke. Cannot seeing Jim Waite being corrext...it is a waste and you you will never attract the best curlers...waste of money.

never attract the best curlers will they?

some of the top skips in Canada and some great players participated at the mixed championship this year in Canada:

kaitlyn laws
john morris
mark kean

but your right, there's no hope at all that the top curlers will be attracted

04-10-14 02:48PM
Unregistered

also heather smith, charley Thomas, travis fanset

04-10-14 02:51PM
Unregistered

adam casey, scott howard, mary anne arsenault

future stars and a legend also there.

your argument is non existent as far as attracting the top players

04-10-14 05:04PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

If (when?) doubles gets added to the Olympic programme, expect even more top players to get into it and expect national curling associations to start putting some $$ into it.

04-10-14 06:01PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack

It's all about draws (which is a skill, no doubt about that), but it really eliminates a part of the game, the ability to hit accurately. I would be ok with mixed doubles (somewhat) if they employed a more tradition free guard zone rule, and allowed you to go after rocks that are in the house. Current rules don't allow this until after the fourth rock delivered... and since there are only five rocks delivered per team, you can't hit until the final stone. It'll still allow for a lot of rocks in play, but it won't become quite as much of a junky mess that the game usually becomes.

And it does lack the nuances of the full game. By eliminating half of the game (hitting), it isn't really curling any more.

I don't know if the rules are different in Canada, but in the US you can start taking out after the 3rd rock of the end. So that would be the team with the hammer's 2nd rock.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.82.243.88

04-11-14 10:46AM
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

I don't know if the rules are different in Canada, but in the US you can start taking out after the 3rd rock of the end. So that would be the team with the hammer's 2nd rock.

From the WCF Rules of Curling:
R14. Mixed Doubles Curling

(e) No stone in play, including the “positioned” stones and those in the house, can be moved to an out-of-play position prior to the delivery of the fourth stone of an end (the fourth delivered stone is the first stone that can remove any stone from play). If there is a violation, the delivered stone shall be removed from play, and any displaced stone(s) shall be replaced to their original position by the non-offending team.

So I misinterpreted the rules here a bit... it's similar to the free guard zone rule. You're correct in that you can start hitting rocks after the team with hammer's 2nd delivered stone. My apologies.

Last edited by JustAnotherHack on 04-11-14 at 10:51AM