Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-04-14 11:19AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Played on the sheet next to Myles and his sons a two, maybe three years ago. Myles was still killing corner guards with doubles and his boys throw serious heat as well. They were in the first event finals when I left.

Happened to be in Appleton.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-04-14 03:33PM
DBZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DBZ Click here to Send DBZ a Private Message Visit DBZ's homepage! Find more posts by DBZ Add DBZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBZ
Swing Artist

I'm hanging in there Myles! Gotta a big smile seeing your name & the great memories! I might be over to GB next month - I'll get ahold of you my friend!

04-04-14 03:58PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Joe Polo was top-rated second at Worlds. His shooting and his sweeping make him an all-star. Brunt was number 4 rated lead. But the rest explains why USA finished 10th. Rojeski tied for 10-11 out of 12 thirds and Fenson tied for 9-10-11. Statistics are not the whole story but these are pretty telling.

To which I can only add: U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

04-04-14 05:05PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Time for a fresh start hopefully with some teams that want to do more than win the Nationals.

No disagreement here. I think our U.S. teams represented us well. To be honest, both the mens and womens teams were our best, or among our best for sure. The rest of the world has moved ahead. Those teams that have moved ahead of us almost universally play more often and against higher level competition.

Whatever system we envision in the U.S. needs to address that fundamental issue. Personally, I think if that issue were addressed, it would matter less how we pick our national teams. It may well be that in an environment of insufficient funding, hand-picked teams are the only way more frequent, meaningful competition is going to happen. The U.S. is geographically challenged, compared to say Europe, for getting our teams to frequent, high-level competition. China solved that problem by sending their team to Canada to play, and got them Canadian coaches to boot. But that costs serious $$$. There is no easy solution if winning gold at Worlds or Olympics is the goal.

04-04-14 05:18PM
DBZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DBZ Click here to Send DBZ a Private Message Visit DBZ's homepage! Find more posts by DBZ Add DBZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DBZ
Swing Artist

Well said Chappy! ))

@rockdock - we need a US TOUR!!!

04-04-14 05:29PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by DBZ
Well said Chappy! ))

@rockdock - we need a US TOUR!!!

A U.S. tour that could attract international teams would be very good for U.S. curling and curlers. Tough to do without big sponsors. The Utica CC managed to pull off a couple of really high-profile cash-spiels in 2003 and 2004 that drew a bunch of the top teams in the world (I remember Howard, Middaugh, Dacey, Murdoch, Brewster, Uusi, etc.) but then the big sponsorship money ran out. I don't think a U.S. tour can persist on local sponsorship efforts. It's just too hard to run this kind of thing with volunteers who have day jobs. In this day and age, it needs TV money, I think. The web is cheap, but there's not that many watching. I just wish one of the specialty sports channels would pick up curling. It MIGHT just be a hit. Can't be any worse than Americas Cup sailing, can it?

04-04-14 06:07PM
DBZ
Swing Artist

3 Forks Classics in '01-'03 proved that if you put on a great spiel & play for more than your entry fee (a lot more!) the teams will come! Utica, Boston, Madison, Duluth, Eveleth, St Paul. Seattle & Fairbanks all showed it can be done. But it needs to be a tour, with a set schedule so out-of-country teams can set a schedule. It's a dream of mine & my last plan turned out just fine, in spite of all of the naysayers (which included many USCA directors!). It could be done, but would need NGB status for creditability & stability to attract real sponsorship. I hope the newest HPP plan works, but with the same people making the decisions. I'm not holding my breath!

Last edited by DBZ on 04-05-14 at 04:29AM

04-04-14 09:31PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I'd just like to throw this out there: yes, the USOC does care about medals, but that's not their ONLY focus. They larger interest is likely to be simple competitiveness and relevance on the world stage. They want to at least see progress. As well, I'm sure they'd like to see an organization running the sport that seems to know what they are doing.

Just my thoughts. It's not just medals medals medals and that it. Lets start with basic progress, hmm?

04-04-14 11:30PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC

Just my thoughts. It's not just medals medals medals and that it. Lets start with basic progress, hmm?

Correspondence from USOC to USCA suggests otherwise. It's all about medals, it's all about U-S-A...U-S-A...U-S-A

04-05-14 02:11AM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by chapnlie

To which I can only add: U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

My comment was actually intended to be facetious. I think it is time to give up the U-S-A U-S-A b.s. and focus on the problem of sending US curlers to international events who cannot score in the top range of their position.

04-05-14 01:29PM
DBZ
Swing Artist

For me, cheering for our US team is what it is about. I've watched decades of brutal competitive curling decisions & have yet to agree with more than a few of them, nor am I surprised at outcomes. Separating the actual curling from the selection process is the only way I personally deal with it.

I dislike the personal attacks & petty innuendos that are posted, ad nauseam, here during & after each event. Same BS over & over. Our teams, once they get there, are all we have. And if you think that you're being tough on them helps - you're wrong. Same for the suits who, once you lose a few, treat you like you have the plague. I was fortunate to be on teams that won more than we lost. But, I've been to more than a few worlds & have seen the way losing teams can be treated. I do realize that people here are, for the most part, trying to be be constructive, but I see too much disrespect. I'm still pissed-off at the way Johnny B was treated. I have no problem with constructive criticism & disagreement, just that there is a time & a place for it.

Again, I am proud of Team Fenson & I am saying a prayer for their safe travels

04-05-14 01:32PM
DBZ
Swing Artist

BTW - I watched most of the Koe -Erickson game this morning and was pretty shocked at the games that Simmons & Koe came up with. There is no guarantee that even 2 of the best will always have their "A" game in their pocket. While Team USA finishing 10th is brutal, Team Canada not in the finals is shocking...

04-06-14 12:56AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Switzerland sends their 4th best team to Womens World -- and wins the championship. Switzerland sends their 2nd best team to Mens World -- and wins bronze medal. Sweden sends their 2nd best team to Mens World -- and wins gold or silver. And USA wants to put all their $$ on one team each for men and women?