Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Putting bums in the seats.......

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-20-14 04:09PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jcullen
Quebec isn't a curling province, and BC is slowly turning that way. The closest major city to Kamloops is Vancouver, ...

On behalf of the citizens of Kelowna, we thank you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-20-14 05:56PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Not sure it has been suggested, but would local blackouts ala the NFL, CFL have any effect? In Montreal this year, probably not. What do others have to say in cities that hosted events this year or in the past?

I had great trial tickets for the week this year and by the end, I was more than happy to put my feet up on my couch and watch the finals. TV has unfortunatley, become better than the live event itself.

If I had no other option then going to the event to watch I might have dragged my butt out in minus 30's to watch.

Just my two cents.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.72.69

03-20-14 06:32PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magicstew
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape
I think what the WCT needs to do is find a permanent home for three of the four slams. For example, the Mattamy Center in Toronto, Somewhere in Edmonton and the third location either down east or in Winnipeg, or whatnot.

When you look at Golf, most of the majors are always in the same place. Augusta for the Masters, The British Open uses a few courses, but on a set rotation, the Players Championship is at Sawgrass, etc. The US Open will float around the states.

It makes it far easier for the tour to organize marketing, they don't need to rebuild a local committee for four different events in four different places every year. They can build ties with local sponsors, local volunteers, and build up the events from year to year rather than starting fresh every year. Plus, it'll help draw crowds by putting them in large population centers, and in places that people can plan to go to a year in advance.

Keep the fourth slam moving around the country to different areas to add a little variety and build the sport in lower popularity areas. If you only need to build one event from scratch every year, you can put a lot more resources into making it a success.

Don't mind this idea, or at least keep it in the same location on a 3 yr basis so there is some continuity of the event, especially on the organization side. There are a lot of curling events to move around the country and maybe some places are also getting burnt out as it seems to be the same volunteers, which happens in most communities.

03-20-14 08:19PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Not sure it has been suggested, but would local blackouts ala the NFL, CFL have any effect? In Montreal this year, probably not. What do others have to say in cities that hosted events this year or in the past?

I had great trial tickets for the week this year and by the end, I was more than happy to put my feet up on my couch and watch the finals. TV has unfortunatley, become better than the live event itself.

If I had no other option then going to the event to watch I might have dragged my butt out in minus 30's to watch.

Just my two cents.

Interesting suggestion, but I really don't think it will have much effect, other than to alienate what market you might have (this ain't the NFL!)
Unfortunately, unless you're actually playing the game, curling is much, much better when watched on TV.
I hope somebody will step up and prove me wrong.

03-21-14 02:06AM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

On behalf of the citizens of Kelowna, we thank you.

Kelowna is not a major city.

03-21-14 11:01AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by jcullen

Kelowna is not a major city.

True, but it is lovely this time of year.

(written in Edmonton, March 21st, second day of Spring. -22 with windchill)

04-13-14 06:57AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockShot

quote:
Originally posted by milobloom

True, but it is lovely this time of year.

(written in Edmonton, March 21st, second day of Spring. -22 with windchill)

True that!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 31.11.106.97

04-16-14 09:30AM
deadhead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadhead Click here to Send deadhead a Private Message Find more posts by deadhead Add deadhead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadhead
Knee-Slider

We have attended Briers, Worlds, Trials and tour events and I enjoyed them all. Trials has best overall curling and most intense, Brier was the best party and Worlds has an international feel that you don't get at any other event.
Problem for us is that cost is getting very high. With event tickets, hotel rooms and flights or the cost to drive it cost my wife and I over $4000 per event. We can spend a few weeks in Cuba for half that. I don't have a solution for cost but I think it is a major part of why the stands are empty.

11-29-14 11:07AM
friendlycanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for friendlycanuck Click here to Send friendlycanuck a Private Message Find more posts by friendlycanuck Add friendlycanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
friendlycanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Was at the 2014 Scotties and many other WCT/SoC events over the years. Despite being a wonderful city, Montreal was an epic failure for many reasons:

1. Terrible venue. The sterile 1962 Maurice Richard arena is not at all designed for curling, with just six rows behind the sheets. TSN blocked off one end, and the general public did not have access to the other end, and were thus stuck to watch from the sides. The first row was a good 15' above the ice, and far from the action. There was no TV monitor in the arena. Seats are hard plastic.

2. Extraordinarily weak field. The top teams in the country were missing (Jones, Middaugh, Scott etc.) leading to a largely inexperienced field who were simply happy to be there. To even a mild fan, the playoff scenario was very predictable (Homan, Carey, Sweeting, Lawton). One could make a compelling case both the Alberta and Manitoba provincials provided deeper fields than the 2014 Scotties. Saskatchewan and Ontario would be close.

3. Poor food/beverage choices at grossly inflated prices. No alcohol was sold at the rink, only pre-made subway and soda/coffee. Service was generally disgruntled. The bland corridors felt like a hospital. Step into any local rink in any small town in Canada and you would find warmth, a more diverse offering with a more pleasant service experience. The patch was a little better but still heavily overpriced.

4. A hazardous walk through 200m of ice to get from the arena to the party patch. Nobody ever cleared or even salted the hazardous parking lot (or bothered to shovel the entrance), which was a struggle for many seniors. The walk from the Viau subway station required one to dodge massive pools of slush/ice/water runoff. For whatever reason the locals don't like clearing sidewalks in Montreal.

5. Montreal is not known as curling city, and the fact Quebec were eliminated from the playoff picture early on did not help. It was strange being in a building that drew less for the playoff games on the weekend than the round robin draws.

6. The patch itself was also a grungy relic, comprising of half of a dark, old (1957) gymnasium with hardly any vendors and no beer selection but the one drab beer. A never-ending stream of runners on the dimly-lit track above were a reminder we were taking over their facility. Very much enjoyed the player interviews/meets and lively hosts.

7. At $339 P.P. for a ticket + travel + hotels etc., I expect a Canadian championship to be a top-quality event. The field, venues and catering were far from this standard in what many would call a world-class city.

To get fans to leave their HDTVs with multiple angles and replays, the CCA has to realize the importance in selecting comfortable, fan-friendly venues with modern amenities. If This should be top priority. Montreal should be a harsh lesson moving forward.