Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 16 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-18-14 09:35PM
brycejmcewen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brycejmcewen Click here to Send brycejmcewen a Private Message Find more posts by brycejmcewen Add brycejmcewen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brycejmcewen
Swing Artist

JB42, the MB boycott champs were Lukowich and Bubbs. Scales beat Stoughton in the provincial final, so the boycott was definitely over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons_Brier

Last paragraph of the history section.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-18-14 09:56PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Thanks for the info

My only question now is who the heck is Scales?....lol.....No doubt ML could give us a full bio. And given he is from Manitoba I have no doubt he could play. I've never heard of him though. Perhaps the Greg Balsdon of his era....:-)

02-18-14 10:37PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Ah good on ya ML. I knew we could count on you.

02-18-14 10:42PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Actually, Manitoba idiot is wrong as usual. Mr. Scales name is Brent. he beat Stoughton in the 2004 final. All he needed to do was draw 12'

02-18-14 11:23PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: Re: Thanks for the info

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Bobby Scales.

You got his name wrong... Do you ever do any research before posting or do you just type whatever comes out of that old senile brain of yours?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.71.13

02-22-14 09:20PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Alrighty then. The Olympics are over so now its Brier time.

With Martin and Howard missing there is a partial changing of the guard.

Perennial Gushue is there again, and maybe his time has come.

Stoughton is most definitely the chief defender this Brier of the old guard's dominance. Aka. The Lions in winter and on ice :-)

Equally doubtless is Koe's place as the leader of the new guard. One Brier and World's win already to his credit, and this his third Brier.

I am a firm believer that the easiest way to handicap these days is to simply look at how the teams have done on the WCT. The better their record there the better their record will be at the Brier, or in playdowns. It's not a perfect formula for sure. The #1 and #2 teams in money for example ain't there this year. They did however both make the provincial finals and both had the hammer in their hands in the last end. And if either of them make their last shot they are here. So it's not entirely without merit either.

And what does it tell us? Koe, Stoughton, and Gushue are the class of this field

In terms of money list they are 3,5 and 6.

In terms of the Order of Merit points it's Stoughton, Koe and Gushue. 2, 4, and 6 respectively.

Morris is 24th on the money list and 10th in the Order of Merit. Which puts him a fair way back from the top three but he does have the Olympic pre-trial win, and making the Final of the Trials to his credit.

Menard and Balsdon are 20 and 21 on the OM. The rest are a long way down. Though Grattan is in the top 20 of the money list so far this season.

So I'm gonna go no way out on the limb and say that the four we would expect to make the playoffs will be the four that make the playoffs.

OK with the 'Captain Obvious' stuff out of the way I'm gonna go with my gut.

Nobody is going to touch Team Stoughton.

Jeff rolled through the Manitoba playdowns. Making McEwen look that average says to me that they are playing incredibly well. Cause I don't care what gets said here Team McEwen is an excellent team. Capable of winning any event they enter no matter who is in the field. McEwen didn't lose cause they ain't any good, McEwen lost cause Team Stoughton is playing that well.

So there you have it. My prediction Stoughton steamrolls the RR.

Who will they play in the Final? With this one I'm not going to go with my gut. I'm going to go with Mr Cotter. For years when people didn't know who he was I would tell them, "Watch out for Cotter. They can do some real damage this Brier." And they did. Alas it was always to themselves...lol.....

So I gotta go with him one last time now that he has one of the most accomplished thirds in the history of the game skipping the team. Johnny Mo didn't do too bad when he was skipping either I gotta say. Both in Juniors and in making the Brier Final with Savill and Laing.

02-22-14 10:17PM
Unregistered

Can't help but wonder if Gushue is regretting dumping Fry?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.5.81

02-22-14 10:43PM
JB42
Drawmaster

re 'Smeeds'

I have no knowledge of why Fry and Gushue split, and whether Gushue dumped him or whether it was amicable. What I can say.

For whatever reason Fry just didn't play all that well for Gushue. Or Stoughton for that matter. Don't get me wrong. He had brilliant stretches. Stretches that made everyone in curling think, "Man, that boy can play!" But he was not consistent. And one of the things about curling is that it is just as important that your bad games be not very bad as it is that your good games be very good.

He said it best himself on camera in the Brier that they won. It was a game in the RR and the camera was on him just as he was returning to the hack after having made a helluva shot. "I'm turning in to a really nice curler." Or something along those lines. The announcers laughed, and of course he immediately botched his next shot....lol....To say he hasn't missed many since would be to understate the obvious.

And the biggest difference in his game? His bad games ain't very far off his good games. His great games, as always. evince the potential that made Stoughton and Gushue want to play with him in the first place.

02-22-14 10:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Are you stupid? Answered.

quote:

Good analysis as usual JB.

I'd like nothing more than for your conclusion to play out and Jeff win his 4th Brier, then try for his 3rd worlds and get an auto-berth in the 2015 Brier.

But I think its a bit of a pipe-dream. No question Jeff will be in the mix - somewhere between 7-4 and 9-2, my guess is he'll settle in at 8-3.

Biggest problem. Jeff was the hottest team in Canada last couple months, he annhiliated fields at the Cont. Cup and then exterminated Mikey Whipwreck at the Consols in Wpg.

Then that old bugaboo. Layoffs. I don't think Jeff trains all that fiercely, although I may be wrong. Nothing near the Beastie Boyz of the Soo but who has that regime? NOBODY!

So I think Jeff will need a couple games to get himself into game condition (more mental than physical) and thats why he'll probably finish 2nd or 3rd overall.

No Beastie Boys is a big plus for Jeff. I don't think he'd hold up vs. Jacobs anymore.

But Goo, Morris/Cotter, Koe ain't swiss cheese. Menard can come up with monster round-robin games, too! and we don't know what kind of fury Balsdon and Grattan can inflict before they capitulate to the cream of the crop down the stretch.

Jeff Stoughton is and will be one of the best at the Brier. You think a few weeks rest will be a detriment? He will finish 10-1 or 9-2 and is probably along with Koe the favourite to win it all going in. Sometimes I think you type this crap just to hear your own voice inside your head.

02-24-14 01:40PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

JB42,
I would have to agree with you on this one. I do think that Morris is the wild card in this. It's true that they don't have the money or the order of merit points as the other top 3, but they didn't play as much and had a steep learning curve as a "new" team. Obviously you would say that this is why they rank 4th behind the more obvious top 3.

But then they got on their game and won the pre-trials. And made their way to the Olympic Trials final. I really think they've got a great shot to win this. Morris has been a steadying force on this team. Cotter's always been a great shooter, but Morris helps keep him composed in the big moments.

Stoughton is the obvious choice to win, but just because it's obvious doesn't mean it's not true. I just don't see anyway he misses the final.

Gushue put in a strong showing last brier and that experience will go a long way with this young team this time around.

Koe is a great curler, but they don't seem to be playing their best right now. They had a dud at the Olympic trials and then were floundering at AB provincials, struggling to get past lesser known opponents and needed a couple of mistakes from Martin to pull out the victory in the final. If he hits his stride there's no question he could win it ... but it just seems like there's something that's keeping this team from playing their best on a consistent basis.

I don't want to dismiss any of the other teams, but I don't see any of them pushing for anything more than a tie-breaker.

02-25-14 01:01PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Alrighty then. The Olympics are over so now its Brier time.

With Martin and Howard missing there is a partial changing of the guard.

Perennial Gushue is there again, and maybe his time has come.

Stoughton is most definitely the chief defender this Brier of the old guard's dominance. Aka. The Lions in winter and on ice :-)

Equally doubtless is Koe's place as the leader of the new guard. One Brier and World's win already to his credit, and this his third Brier.

I am a firm believer that the easiest way to handicap these days is to simply look at how the teams have done on the WCT. The better their record there the better their record will be at the Brier, or in playdowns. It's not a perfect formula for sure. The #1 and #2 teams in money for example ain't there this year. They did however both make the provincial finals and both had the hammer in their hands in the last end. And if either of them make their last shot they are here. So it's not entirely without merit either.

And what does it tell us? Koe, Stoughton, and Gushue are the class of this field

In terms of money list they are 3,5 and 6.

In terms of the Order of Merit points it's Stoughton, Koe and Gushue. 2, 4, and 6 respectively.

Morris is 24th on the money list and 10th in the Order of Merit. Which puts him a fair way back from the top three but he does have the Olympic pre-trial win, and making the Final of the Trials to his credit.

Menard and Balsdon are 20 and 21 on the OM. The rest are a long way down. Though Grattan is in the top 20 of the money list so far this season.

So I'm gonna go no way out on the limb and say that the four we would expect to make the playoffs will be the four that make the playoffs.

OK with the 'Captain Obvious' stuff out of the way I'm gonna go with my gut.

Nobody is going to touch Team Stoughton.

Jeff rolled through the Manitoba playdowns. Making McEwen look that average says to me that they are playing incredibly well. Cause I don't care what gets said here Team McEwen is an excellent team. Capable of winning any event they enter no matter who is in the field. McEwen didn't lose cause they ain't any good, McEwen lost cause Team Stoughton is playing that well.

So there you have it. My prediction Stoughton steamrolls the RR.

Who will they play in the Final? With this one I'm not going to go with my gut. I'm going to go with Mr Cotter. For years when people didn't know who he was I would tell them, "Watch out for Cotter. They can do some real damage this Brier." And they did. Alas it was always to themselves...lol.....

So I gotta go with him one last time now that he has one of the most accomplished thirds in the history of the game skipping the team. Johnny Mo didn't do too bad when he was skipping either I gotta say. Both in Juniors and in making the Brier Final with Savill and Laing.

You totally missed Laycock on your list. #16 on order of merit and #21 on money list. Has had some sucess against most of the teams attending the brier while on the tour. Played quite well at the Road to the Roar. Based on the schedule, they could get off to a good start to calm the nerves for the 2 Brier rookies on the team, and if they do will be in the hunt right to the end. I wouldn't count them out.

Not sold on Koe at all. I'm sure he will be there at the end of the week, but I don't think he is the favourite. If I was putting money on a team it would be Morris or Stoughton. the other two spots will be a battle between Gushue/Koe/Laycock

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 167.129.240.20

02-25-14 01:23PM
JB42
Drawmaster

re Laycock

My apologies you are totally correct I did miss Laycock.

And that after watching a bunch of the games on that fan-freakin-tastic Sasktel site. Wouldn't it be nice if the other provinces did something similar? Ain't holding my breath.

Team Laycock is a real threat. As is Team Menard. And Team Balsdon and Team Grattan or of the 'any given day' variety and could well throw a monkey wrench into all predictions by upsetting favourites in the RR. Their problem being they are equally likely to follow that up by losing to teams they should beat.

My guess does nonetheless remain that the four we expect will be the ones that we see in the playoffs.

But who knows? We may end up with as surprising a result as the Trials where Howard, Stoughton, Koe, and McEwen all failed to make the playoffs. You coulda got long odds at Vegas for that outcome.

As to Koe. You don't have to think very far back to remember that they were the co-favourites heading into the Trials. They had just won a Grand Slam and had demolished the competition along the way. That's the thing about Canadian Men's curling. The depth of the field is extraordinary and so handicapping is a crapshoot at best. I'm just betting on 7 is all...lol....

Heck two of our best known legends R. Howard and The Wrench won 4 Briers between them. Out of how many provincial playdown efforts? Gotta be 50! Crikey Jack McDuff has half as many Brier wins:-) Ain't easy picking a winner when it comes to the Brier much less all four play-off qualifiers.

The reason for this of course is how truly great Canadian curling is and for that we can only say thanks.

If I was going with my heart I'd like to see Gushue or Grattan win. East coast curling could use the boost.

02-26-14 02:09PM
Arney

This thing should boil down to Mr. Friendly Jeff Stoughton vs the morose mr. Koe.

Morris & Gooshoe will round out Final 4

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.218.29.183

02-28-14 10:35AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
With Jacobs absent the bully role will either go to Johnny Mo or Kevin Koe.....

There's your final.

02-28-14 12:09PM
Unregistered

quote:
Can't help but wonder if Gushue is regretting dumping Fry?

Yup, there was a picture of Gushue just sitting on the sidelines after they had lost last year at the brier. All alone. Looking sad and forlorn. Can't help but wonder what he was thinking....like gee maybe if I had listened to some of Fry's suggestions instead of shooting them down all of the time?

But on the other side of the coin, Fry is looking much happier these days. He has found a very good fit.

After all of that, Fry never says anything bad about Brad. He says he was fired, team decision (the newbies he helped mentor, also Casey wanted his bud Brett there), but there does not seem to be any animosity there.

I think the way this was managed is a lesson for all. Some posters here could learn a lesson or two from this. Trashing others, and bemoaning the past does not move you forward.

I lost respect for Brad Gushue after that tho.

Also seeing Mark playing for Stoughton raises questions about Gushue's management style. If Mark left his home province to play for Stoughton and not his "buddy" of so many years, you can't help but wonder.

Of course true gentlemen will never tell. And that is the way it should be.

Posters can speculate all they want.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.5.81

02-28-14 12:57PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I think the way this was managed is a lesson for all. Some posters here could learn a lesson or two from this. Trashing others, and bemoaning the past does not move you forward

Having said this, why do you proceed to trash said person citing long past incidents. It seems a tad hypocritical on your part.

And the fact you are responding to a post from the same North Vancouver IP address as your own doesn't help your argument either.

Last edited by Guest on 02-28-14 at 01:02PM

02-28-14 01:53PM
Unregistered

one of the biggest reasons Mark moved west was that his wife wanted to be near her family

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.11.14.35

02-28-14 02:47PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

There's your final.

in other words you're going for the

MOE VS. KOE FINALE...

That takes the heat off Stoughton as he won't have to keep his team intact to fulfill the auto-berth if he grabs the duke.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.219.69.140

03-01-14 03:59PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

Teams are listed by skip name on curlingzone.

They should be listed by province in my opinion.

03-01-14 06:26PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Who are the 5 oldest players at this year's event?

Obviously, Jeff Stoughton at 51 is #1

I would think Jon Mead at 46 is #2

Any other starters over 40? No Howard, No Martin, No Middaugh?

Mackenzie snd Ledgerwood sp? ? Must be 40 plus. While Grafton,Cotter and Menard hit the magic 40 this year.

Last edited by decade on 03-01-14 at 09:38PM

03-01-14 06:27PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

wtf??? what does M.I.'s post have to do with the quote????

03-01-14 08:33PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Please tell me Dick, what does a post about skips or province names have to do with players ages?? Or, do you just randomly quote posters???

03-02-14 01:41AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Brier draw 2

It was sad to see the finish of that game. How can the ice get lost that badly that two of the best skips in the world throw what seem to be good rocks and just get over the hog line. I am sure we will be told it's not the icemaker's fault but it was brutal. javascript:smilie('') The game was Manitoba against Nfld.

03-02-14 08:33AM
Unregistered

The arena ice has been determining outcomes for 50 years ... i remember Mike Rileys last rock in the worlds going half way down the slush. ... It just about killed me.... Last nights last two shots sort of spoiled the game for me. I kind of laughed at Russ ( who i love listening to ). When he said " they want Koe to draw because hes soo great at hits " - which is true but i thought of kevins last rock to the pimple to win the brier ... In my opinion the best shot ever... Imagine if last nights game was the brier final and the ice changed liked that ...ugh

And ml. .. I am using my wifes ipad this am and i dont have u blocked and didnt see clintons face as i have the ipad vertical.. If you edit your post and delete choked and inept its not a bad post ...

All curling should take place in BC I picked up Chinese at 4 pm and we watched til 11pm. Great entertainment other the repetive commercials on toilet tissue and wfg being so good to jennifer after she broke her leg and got pregnant. Im guessing Jennifer could have whipped off abt 3 excellent ad lib commercials in 5 minutes....

Should be a great week. Prime rib with the grandchildren tonight between draws ... Cant get better than hat

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-02-14 12:23PM
Unregistered

they honestly couldn't have picked a worse game to cover as their feature. Its so incredibly boring having just a bunch of consecutive blank ends and you know both of these teams are going to be content to just play this way as long as they can

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19