Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > What should be the future of residency rules for elite curlers in Canada?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-05-14 02:38PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

And sure, you can call soft residency rules pandering to the "professionals" (term debatable). But these are the best teams and this is the Brier. The CCA runs this tournament to determine a team to represent our country internationally. With all due respect to the "amateurs" and little guys out there, the rules SHOULD be made to cater to the elite teams. No one's saying the amateurs shouldn't keep playing. They should always have the option. But guess what? You're trying to get to a tournament that determines who will represent the country internationally. You should have to go through the best, and your lives shouldn't be made easier by the rules - you should have to do it on the ice.

Heck, I'm one of those amateurs, and I'll probably never make a Brier. But I have no problem with soft residency rules that allow the best teams to be at our National Championship. For those of you in BC, sorry about your luck. But guess what? Greg Balsdon just beat Glenn Howard here in Ontario. Was it next to impossible? Sure was - no one did it for 9 years. But they did it. So go do it in BC, and anywhere else you may find yourself stuck behind elite competition. Some of us have never had the option in the first place! And guess what else? When all of a sudden you have to beat a team like that to get to a Brier, competition improves out of necessity, provincial depth improves, and overall competitive curling in your province will benefit. Everyone gets better - and that's the most productive way to get closer to a Brier! Not complain about rules! [/B][/QUOTE]

This is the best response I've seen on this topic. Well done! Personally, I'd love to see a Brier with a field half as stacked as the ROTR. If you want the best rep for Canada at international competitions, they need to have beaten the best in Canada. I don't want to see the entire team McEwen all of a sudden repping SK next year, but think there can be some concession made for 1 player joining a team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.90.103.254

03-05-14 07:45PM
Unregistered

Are you kidding? Special rules for elite teams?

Worst post on the topic. You honestly believe we should tilt the playing field even more for these guys?
They already get federal and provincial funding on top of 5-6 figure sponsorship, their own private spiels, what more should we give to appease their greed?

I've got a better idea. No more funding, penalties for parachuters and to rep us at the Olympics you win the Brier for Scott the year before.

Oh look, level playing field for all, no gravy train for a few.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.219

03-05-14 07:56PM
Unregistered

I have to admit that nobody seems to be bringing Koe's team into the equation. Pat Simmons is no longer trying to pretend he is living in Alberta,.

I have to admit everyone is all over Morris but hey, let' s not pretend this issue is new or just subject to BC.

The cca is taking this issue over next year so it will be interesting to see what they come up with as a solution.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.216.84.192

03-05-14 08:05PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Team Muirhead was put together by the curling powers in Scotland.

Ryan Fry didn't move to Soo to experience winter

Team Muirhead are employed by the government to be professional curlers. Don't even try to compare the UK to Canada.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

03-05-14 08:44PM
Unregistered

The point of the Brier (our national championship) is to find the best team in Canada to represent us at the world championship. I understand that every province is supposed to be represented, but with relegation coming next year that is already changing.

I would have to say that this years Roar Of The Rings was one of the deepest fields in the history of curling. I am not saying this is how we should determine our Brier field but I also believe if 1 or even 2 people want to travel and play out of another province we should let them. The main goal is to give Canada the best chance at winning on the world stage

I think it is safe to say half the people complaining in this forum didn't even sign up to play in their provinces play downs, and I am sure if you ask the top teams in most provinces weather they care if 1 person on a certain team isn't from the right province they wouldn't care.

Look at Balsdon, first person in 9 years to beat Howard for the Ontario crown and he is in contention for the playoffs,

Finally..... I know most of this is probably just rambling but its what I think. Weather its 3 guys from BC and 1 from Alberta or 2 from NFLD and 2 from Sask YOU GOT TO BEAT THE BEST TO BE THE BEST

Stop complaining , We've done a pretty good job of sending the best team from Canada, And that's the point of the brier

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.225.45.129

03-05-14 09:13PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The point of the Brier (our national championship) is to find the best team in Canada to represent us at the world championship. I understand that every province is supposed to be represented, but with relegation coming next year that is already changing.

I would have to say that this years Roar Of The Rings was one of the deepest fields in the history of curling. I am not saying this is how we should determine our Brier field but I also believe if 1 or even 2 people want to travel and play out of another province we should let them. The main goal is to give Canada the best chance at winning on the world stage

I think it is safe to say half the people complaining in this forum didn't even sign up to play in their provinces play downs, and I am sure if you ask the top teams in most provinces weather they care if 1 person on a certain team isn't from the right province they wouldn't care.

Look at Balsdon, first person in 9 years to beat Howard for the Ontario crown and he is in contention for the playoffs,

Finally..... I know most of this is probably just rambling but its what I think. Weather its 3 guys from BC and 1 from Alberta or 2 from NFLD and 2 from Sask YOU GOT TO BEAT THE BEST TO BE THE BEST

Stop complaining , We've done a pretty good job of sending the best team from Canada, And that's the point of the brier

You do know you've just contradicted yourself right? First you state its okay to have one, or two, players from out of province. But then in your last paragraph you say we've done a good job of sending the best team...and that's the point of the Brier.

Weellll, lol, for the past 75 plus years its been teams made up of 4 guys, all from the same province. If we've done such a good job (and our record at the Worlds speaks clearly) with that set-up, why change it?

I'm just sayin'...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-05-14 09:15PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I have to admit that nobody seems to be bringing Koe's team into the equation. Pat Simmons is no longer trying to pretend he is living in Alberta,.

I have to admit everyone is all over Morris but hey, let' s not pretend this issue is new or just subject to BC.

The cca is taking this issue over next year so it will be interesting to see what they come up with as a solution.

Actually, I seem to recall some pretty spirited and passionate discussions taking place on this very website when it first happened. and most of the posters were Albertans.

03-05-14 09:30PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

And while I'm here burning up my library computer time, I thought it appropriate to cut and paste a few parts of the CCA residency exemption form in the hope it clears a few misconceptions.

First, the 3 reasons the CCA allow you to apply are:

Use this form if you are residing in one province/territory and are requesting an exemption to participate in another province/territory based on one of the following circumstances:
• You are living within a short distance of a provincial/territorial border
• You are based in two locations due to your employment situation
• You are a part-time student wishing to compete in the province/territory where you are attending school versus your province/territory of your permanent residence.

Second, the info you have to supply:

1) I live within a short distance of the provincial/territorial border.
o Attach additional information on specific reasons for wanting to compete in another province/territory
2) I am based in two locations due to my employment situation
o Attach additional information on specific reasons for wanting to compete in another province/territory
o Letter from employer confirming employment within province/territory
3) I am a part-student wishing to compete in the province/territory where I am attending school
o Attach confirmation letter from school Registrar Office indicating full time status and academic year

And the last part:

3. Statement of Accuracy and Relevance:
I hereby attest to the accuracy of the information contained in this Application for Exemption of Residency Requirements. I understand that this application ONLY applies to Residency Requirements and all other Provincial/Territorial eligibility requirements must be met. I acknowledge and understand that if this Application for Exemption of Residency Requirements is approved that I am eligible to compete for the Province/Territory in the approved season only and that I relinquish competing in my Province/Territory of residence. I further understand that the submission of false information may result in a one year suspension from competing in CCA sanctioned championships OR championships coordinated by Member Associations.

Clearer? or muddier?

03-05-14 09:38PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Actually, I seem to recall some pretty spirited and passionate discussions taking place on this very website when it first happened. and most of the posters were Albertans.

Yes but nothing recently, nor on this thread. I just find it odd that everyone has moved on to the next great debate on this subject. All I was trying to point out is there are two, equally blatant misreps if you will at this Brier.

It all seems that everyone has failed to bring the Simmons situation into the discussion here, which if Morris is going to be held to this standard,let's not turn a blind eye to Alberta.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.216.84.192

03-05-14 10:53PM
Unregistered

quote:

You do know you've just contradicted yourself right? First you state its okay to have one, or two, players from out of province. But then in your last paragraph you say we've done a good job of sending the best team...and that's the point of the Brier.

Weellll, lol, for the past 75 plus years its been teams made up of 4 guys, all from the same province. If we've done such a good job (and our record at the Worlds speaks clearly) with that set-up, why change it?

I'm just sayin'...

I suppose your right!
Although the defending Brier champion/Olympic gold medalist consist of a team with 3 players from NOnt and one from Nfld, I mean Manitoba I mean Nont. All I am saying is I am a fan of watching the best teams compete against each other, weather its 4 guys from the same city or 4 guys from 4 different provinces.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.225.45.129

03-06-14 09:53AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

So which of the 3 reasons fits Simmons? Lets face it-the cca has accepted Simmons and now Morris so why havr any residency reqs?

SosQUOTE]Originally posted by jamcan
And while I'm here burning up my library computer time, I thought it appropriate to cut and paste a few parts of the CCA residency exemption form in the hope it clears a few misconceptions.

First, the 3 reasons the CCA allow you to apply are:

Use this form if you are residing in one province/territory and are requesting an exemption to participate in another province/territory based on one of the following circumstances:
• You are living within a short distance of a provincial/territorial border
• You are based in two locations due to your employment situation
• You are a part-time student wishing to compete in the province/territory where you are attending school versus your province/territory of your permanent residence.

Second, the info you have to supply:

1) I live within a short distance of the provincial/territorial border.
2) I am based in two locations due to my employment situation
o Letter from employer confirming employment within province/territory
3) I am a part-student wishing to compete in the province/territory where I am attending school
o Attach confirmation letter from school Registrar Office indicating full time status and academic year

And the last part:

3. Statement of Accuracy and Relevance:
I hereby attest to the accuracy of the information contained in this Application for Exemption of Residency Requirements. I understand that this application ONLY applies to Residency Requirements and all other Provincial/Territorial eligibility requirements must be met. I acknowledge and understand that if this Application for Exemption of Residency Requirements is approved that I am eligible to compete for the Province/Territory in the approved season only and that I relinquish competing in my Province/Territory of residence. I further understand that the submission of false information may result in a one year suspension from competing in CCA sanctioned championships OR championships coordinated by Member Associations.

Clearer? or muddier?
[/QUOTE]

03-06-14 10:19AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:

I'm just sayin'...

Ah the old "because we've always done it that way" argument. Actually if you want to go back to the "we've always done it that way" you use to have to play with 4 guys from the same club. Certainly players from Southern Alberta couldn't play in the North and vice versa (another "rule" which team Koe isn't following). It also use to be that the brier was mostly to determine which province was the best and winning worlds was kind of a formality.

Times change and so to do the rules. If we want the brier to be about regional representation then let's keep strict rules in place and figure out another way to declare which team represents us at worlds (a roar of the rings every year?). Or we can just admit that residency rules are kind of archaic in this day and age where some people change locations more often than their underwear. Where teams can form with players from different parts of the country to chase WCT wins, brier championships and olympic gold.

The biggest complainers are those who seem to want to keep the competition in their home province weak so that maybe if they have a really good run in playdowns they can make the brier and receive a beat down when they get there.

03-06-14 11:34AM
Unregistered

I don't understand how you think it is so hard to represent the province where you reside. It is not hard to find a local curling club to play out of. Now, if you want to play with curlers from other provinces because you feel it gives you a better chance of making the Brier, the answer is simple, move to that province, get a job there and viola, everything is fine. I don't understand why stupid people get on here and feel that the rules need to be changed for a few curlers so that they are legal when there is nothing wrong with the way things are. We allow freedom of travel in Canada, just pack your bags and go if you feel your curling is number one on your priority list. If not, find people who live in your province, play your best and if you win you win.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.66.94.54

03-06-14 12:21PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
I don't understand how you think it is so hard to represent the province where you reside. It is not hard to find a local curling club to play out of. Now, if you want to play with curlers from other provinces because you feel it gives you a better chance of making the Brier, the answer is simple, move to that province, get a job there and viola, everything is fine. I don't understand why stupid people get on here and feel that the rules need to be changed for a few curlers so that they are legal when there is nothing wrong with the way things are. We allow freedom of travel in Canada, just pack your bags and go if you feel your curling is number one on your priority list. If not, find people who live in your province, play your best and if you win you win.

It's natural to question old rules to see if they still make sense. Just because it made sense 50 years ago doesn't mean it makes sense today. The world has changed. Curling has changed. Saying "it's always been done that way" is not good enough. What's wrong with putting together the 4 best players you can find and just trying to win? Who cares if there's an imaginary line in between where they live? I personally think the brier is more exciting when there are more good teams there. If a few guys have to play out of province to make that happen I like it. If a few guys from those provinces don't like it ... get better and just win.

03-06-14 12:32PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

It is my understanding that Pat Simmons works part time in Calgary each month. My source is one of his relatives.

Ryan Fry actually moved and became a resident of the provinces he played in.

Who is the other curler who is alledgedly not living in the province he represents in the current Brier?

It wouldn't bother me about John Morris' situation if he were actually fulfilling the conditions of his exemption, but it strikes me as ridiculous that he will be employed after the season he is playing for BC in is over, if that information is correct.

03-06-14 12:53PM
Unregistered

quote:
Are you kidding? Special rules for elite teams?

Worst post on the topic. You honestly believe we should tilt the playing field even more for these guys?
They already get federal and provincial funding on top of 5-6 figure sponsorship, their own private spiels, what more should we give to appease their greed?

I've got a better idea. No more funding, penalties for parachuters and to rep us at the Olympics you win the Brier for Scott the year before.

Oh look, level playing field for all, no gravy train for a few.

Your team doesn't get funding? Go earn it. Again, I'm like you - an amateur. But if you want funding, go earn it like these "professionals" - who you must remember are real people just like you. It's my understanding that the Brad Jacobs rink nearly went broke traveling around to spiels before they got major sponsorship. But they went and did it. For a few years it probably wasn't easy - especially when during their first few years they were considered no more than "also-rans" at the Brier, lucky to be in NONT, getting no credit until they EARNED it. That's when the sponsorship and funding came. When they earned it.

Hate the elites all you want. But they are the ones who have gone out and built this sport in the last decade or two. They built the WCT by themselves (zero help from CCA, sponsors) - they went out and earned it through hard work. And they boycotted your precious Brier along the way!. They built the slams. They got the sponsors. It wasn't given to them, and nothing will be given to you either, unless you go work and get it.

Finally - you can still get to a Brier if you're good enough. That hasn't and will never change. Do it on the ice! Nothing is stopping you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

03-06-14 02:55PM
dwenzek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dwenzek Click here to Send dwenzek a Private Message Find more posts by dwenzek Add dwenzek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwenzek
Harvey Hacksmasher

For Alberta, Simmons lives in Moose Jaw SK, but someone mentioned he works part time in Calgary (can't confirm, but seems fair).
For Saskatchewan, Virtue lives in Lethbridge AB and went to the brier last year.
These exemptions happen all over the place. Don't act like this is a one time, one place thing. John got the heat for being one of the marquee curlers in our country.

03-06-14 02:56PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dackle
It is my understanding that Pat Simmons works part time in Calgary each month. My source is one of his relatives.

Ryan Fry actually moved and became a resident of the provinces he played in.

Who is the other curler who is alledgedly not living in the province he represents in the current Brier?

It wouldn't bother me about John Morris' situation if he were actually fulfilling the conditions of his exemption, but it strikes me as ridiculous that he will be employed after the season he is playing for BC in is over, if that information is correct.

Is Pat working part time in Calgary new? My understanding was, when he submitted his travel reciepts to last years Brier, he was flying out of Saskatchewan, not even making attempts to make it look as if he was an ALbertan resident IE/ pay for his leg from SK to Calagary and back, but submitting the Calgary to the Brier and back. It was relayed to me that his reciepts that were submitted gave no indication that he was "living" in Calgary. I hope that he is working in Calgary part time. This information was third hand, but it was/is one of the reasons you will see the CCA dig into this issue next year and will be in charge of this issue and not the Provincial jurisdictions.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.72.69

03-06-14 03:10PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dwenzek
For Alberta, Simmons lives in Moose Jaw SK, but someone mentioned he works part time in Calgary (can't confirm, but seems fair).
For Saskatchewan, Virtue lives in Lethbridge AB and went to the brier last year.
These exemptions happen all over the place. Don't act like this is a one time, one place thing. John got the heat for being one of the marquee curlers in our country.

I don't think anyone is laying this squarely on John. Maybe the BC guys, but that's just because it affects them directly.

I think it's pretty obvious that all of these cases the guys have only created a paper trail to satisfy the curling associations. None of them ACTUALLY live in the province they represent. So the question at hand is, do we go back to a day where you police these things or do we as a nation say we're ok with it as long as it's just one guy (That's all it's been so far ... sorry 2 in the case of Virtue and Schille).

03-06-14 03:25PM
Unregistered

I agree that there are examples all over the place. That was the point I have been trying to make, not just John Morris.

The challenge is, when the CCA takes this issue over, what do they do? The point system currently rewards Brier participatiom and results, so it's not so easy to just say, "you must play out of the same province" or " we will exempt one player". The road to the Olympic trials, at present has the Brier as a point component. And if your goal is the Olympics, and for pretty much every top team it is THE goal, then they are going to continue to assemble the best team possible and work the system whatever way they can.

Now, if the CCA takes the Brier playdowns out of the equation alogether IE/ going back to the good old days, then they maybe able to turn back the clock. Teams may have a playdown team where all members are from the same province, and a spieling/Olympic qualifying team , ala Wayne Middaugh of a few years ago.

Not sure this is possible now that the genie is out of the bottle and would require some serious soul searching on the CCA's part, but it might and that is a big might, be possible.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.72.69

03-06-14 03:31PM
Unregistered

quote:

Your team doesn't get funding? Go earn it. Again, I'm like you - an amateur. But if you want funding, go earn it like these "professionals" - who you must remember are real people just like you. It's my understanding that the Brad Jacobs rink nearly went broke traveling around to spiels before they got major sponsorship. But they went and did it. For a few years it probably wasn't easy - especially when during their first few years they were considered no more than "also-rans" at the Brier, lucky to be in NONT, getting no credit until they EARNED it. That's when the sponsorship and funding came. When they earned it.

Hate the elites all you want. But they are the ones who have gone out and built this sport in the last decade or two. They built the WCT by themselves (zero help from CCA, sponsors) - they went out and earned it through hard work. And they boycotted your precious Brier along the way!. They built the slams. They got the sponsors. It wasn't given to them, and nothing will be given to you either, unless you go work and get it.

Finally - you can still get to a Brier if you're good enough. That hasn't and will never change. Do it on the ice! Nothing is stopping you.

I don't hate anyone you ass. But I, like thousands of others, have had enough of seeing teams being given an unfair financial advantage by our national and provincial bodies.

Prize money for the Brier? Big thumbs up. Unlimited sponsors allowed on your provincial jacket? You bet.

Thousands of extra dollars/month from the government so you can play the tour for free on top of your 5-6 figure sponsorship? No. You don't need it. A struggling club or Jr. Program does.

This isn't about hate. Its about greed, pure and simple.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.219

03-06-14 03:51PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Ryan Fry didn't move to Soo to experience winter

The difference being, I believe Fry lives in the Soo, I know Morris does not live in BC.

03-06-14 04:16PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

My comment about Fry was meant to say he moved to the Soo to curl not go ice fishing...at least he is living there.

03-07-14 07:32AM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

Was not aware of the Simmons situation, I am under the impression that the CCA ruling is based on residency.

If either curler mentioned has their residence in one province and goes to the other for several days a month, living in that province in a motel or rented flat, then they should be curling out of the province where the main residence is located.

If I am the National Sales Manager for Company A living in Quebec but visiting offices on other provinces on a regular basis, living in motels, should I be able to select which of those provinces I want to represent.

Nunavut here I come.

03-07-14 07:54AM
Unregistered

The only criteria which should count is which province you file income taxes in.
Example: If you are prepared to file your taxes as a Manitoba resident, then you can represent Manitoba in the National Curling competitions (Brier or Scotties). Otherwise go and represent the province that you do file taxes in.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.45.186.129