Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-11-14 11:51AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Governance Issues

I don't really want to discuss it, but there should be a forum for thoughts and concerns.

The new governance proposal will soon come to a vote. I like the compromises that worked their way into the proposal: Regionality was preserved to some extent; budgeting looks to more thoughtful; amending the bylaws seems to be more clear.

The World Curling Federation and the United States Olympic Committee have weighed in. National Governing Body status is at stake. Most states and regions have advised their presidents on how they would like them to vote.

I got no great insights here. I'm just looking to help facilitate the conversation. As spring springs forth, maybe we are all talked out when it comes to curling.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-12-14 09:58AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

There was a meeting with the USOC last night. Not much new ground covered but was nice to get some questions answered.

Vote will take place this afternoon. Will be interesting.

JH

04-12-14 04:26PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

By-laws pass. Here we goooooooooo........

04-12-14 05:28PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Governance Issues

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

The World Curling Federation and the United States Olympic Committee have weighed in. National Governing Body status is at stake.

Ben Tucker

Just bringing this specific point back up in light of your disbelief of my earlier statements about this tactic. Not saying I told you so, just lending credibility to my opinions on this situation at your expense.

It will be OK.

04-12-14 05:29PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Well, all I can say is it had better work and we'd best grab medals in 2018 along with at least a 20% growth in the size of the game in the USA....

Somehow, I doubt either of those goals will be met.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

RIP Competitive Curling for anyone not already a Competitive Curler or rich enough to fund yourself until you can prove yourself to the cadre.

RIP Clubs and Regions of clubs having any meaningful way to direct the progress of the game. Now it's all about one of two things, Money or Medals.

Sometimes, I wish this game never got in the Olympics.

04-12-14 05:33PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Well, all I can say is it had better work and we'd best grab medals in 2018 along with at least a 20% growth in the size of the game in the USA....

Somehow, I doubt either of those goals will be met.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

RIP Competitive Curling for anyone not already a Competitive Curler or rich enough to fund yourself until you can prove yourself to the cadre.

RIP Clubs and Regions of clubs having any meaningful way to direct the progress of the game. Now it's all about one of two things, Money or Medals.

Sometimes, I wish this game never got in the Olympics.

If experience teaches us anything, it will be OK. We won't lose members, or even the right to self-form and compete for olympic gold without the HP program. Please try to give things a fair try before you sell your slider.

04-12-14 11:29PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Hat

If experience teaches us anything, it will be OK. We won't lose members, or even the right to self-form and compete for olympic gold without the HP program. Please try to give things a fair try before you sell your slider.

Well said. Who knows what lies ahead but we need to give it a chance before we throw in the towel.

04-13-14 02:32AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

Since 2006, the number of curlers in the US has been pretty steady around 16,000. Actually it dipped to 15,000± one year before getting back up to 16,000±. Why would the new bylaws increase the size of the game in the USA?

04-14-14 12:26AM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Hat

We may not lose members, but we may see under-reporting of real membership. Let's see what actually happens.

04-14-14 07:52AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MCC_PE

Since 2006, the number of curlers in the US has been pretty steady around 16,000. Actually it dipped to 15,000± one year before getting back up to 16,000±. Why would the new bylaws increase the size of the game in the USA?

They wouldn't, that's my point...

Which, regretfully, goes counter to the stated purpose of the USCA, which is to grow the game.

Instead, it is now a USOC Owned and Operated Medal Machine. All else must be discarded if it gives us a 0.00000000001% chance more of a medal.

Olympic Medals don't grow sports. Accessible competition does.

Olympic Medals grow bureaucracies.

04-14-14 08:17AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Let's move on please. The by-laws passed by a large margin, about 14,000 yes to 3000 no votes. The board is into a transition period which includes being reduced in size, setting up new committees and restructuring its relationship with the CEO.

The USCA staff side is also in transition as their responsibilities and accountability just increased. They take over running all the operational aspects of the USCA. They will get help from members of the curling community including some of the directors but will need more help from the curlers at large. Anyone can be involved with helping the staff, more on that next.

The curlers are in transition as well. Individual curling clubs are now direct members of the USCA and have a voice at the members assembly. The members assembly replaces the members meeting which was only for the state/regions. All are welcome to participate at the members assembly. It will be a meeting with seminars, possibly courses (instructors, officiating), a chance to network with the USCA staff and other clubs and also a time to sign up for operational committees. This event is in the very early stages of planning but will probably be held in October 2014 and will most likely NOT be MN/WI.

Time to move on and get off the hamster wheel of the governance change. Trust me there will be changes coming along.

JH
guess it is time to throw away the tin foil hat

04-14-14 08:39AM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

Thanks JH

We have been in a holding pattern for over five years. Let's get going!

04-15-14 03:58PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

One of the things that will happen based on the new governance is a CEO search. I wanted to wait until I knew this was public knowledge. Rick Patzke was named as the interim CEO but there will be a search conducted for a CEO. Here is the information as shared by immediate Past President Jim Pleasants.

"Under the new Governance, we will have a CEO, rather than a COO (Chief operating Officer). The CEO is granted more operational authority. Rick Patzke was appointed as interim CEO, pending a hiring search to be conducted by the Board, in which Mr. Patzke will be welcome to be a candidate."

JH

04-15-14 04:47PM
Diego is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diego Click here to Send Diego a Private Message Find more posts by Diego Add Diego to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diego
Harvey Hacksmasher

And soon the vultures will be out feasting on this news.

They can't pass up a chance to spread negativity and venom.

04-16-14 08:20PM
Byko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Byko Click here to Send Byko a Private Message Find more posts by Byko Add Byko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Byko
Knee-Slider

Look, let's face the facts. It's easy to associate this change in governance with the HPP. But that's not really the truth.

The bigger issue underlying all of this is the simple fact that the USCA has been hamstrung for so long. By having to focus on day-to-day operations, they haven't been able to do what a board of directors is supposed to do: establish a longer term mission and vision for the organization and point the ship in that direction. Finally, they're going to get an opportunity to do that.

We can disagree all we want about the direction that the HPP is going in, but by voting no, we would have been saying we want LESS influence in the process of deciding how the program should be run. Here, we at least have the ability to influence it. To what extent that is actually done, well, that's in the hands of our board members.

I read the changes and listened through over an hour of conference call discussion about the changes among a multitude of parties across the country. And I, as a (temporary) board member of my club recommended that we vote "yes" on the changes for the health of the USCA. No solution that has been proposed is ideal, but if we wait for ideal, we'll find ourselves relegated toward extinction.

So no, you'll hear no vitriol from me! A decision has been made: let's come together for the benefit of curling in our country.

Dave Bykowski
Potomac Curling Club

04-17-14 01:07PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

You are exactly right Byko - governance and HPP are separate issues. But, right or not, many curlers think that USCA is about HPP and not much else. It will be interesting to see where this goes. I think many clubs are going be watching more carefully now and trying to decide if their USCA membership is really worth the $$ their members pay for that membership.

04-23-14 11:45AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
You are exactly right Byko - governance and HPP are separate issues. But, right or not, many curlers think that USCA is about HPP and not much else. It will be interesting to see where this goes. I think many clubs are going be watching more carefully now and trying to decide if their USCA membership is really worth the $$ their members pay for that membership.

^^^^This.^^^^

Regionals curling associations are still very important to the USCA in many regions of the country to help with many issues. Let's hope that this important relationship is not lost in the new bylaws, which gives the National Office and CEO powers which could be used to undercut the autonomy of regional curling associations. Not that this has to happen, but is was in large part why there was not unanimous support of this much-needed organizational change.

Member clubs will indeed be assessing the value of their USCA membership--the newly reconfigured board should be mindful that clubs expect some value in growth & development, assistance with helping the USCA run its various competitive events, etc. in return for the dues paid. And with the specter of USCA dues increases expected every year for the near future, there is considerable concern in this area, especially when USCA dues are about double that of regional curling association dues.

The bylaws changes were badly needed. I think the current version still has some flaws in both process and in general sloppiness of language here and there, but the general scope of the changes were on target.

Time to move on.

Cheers.