Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Ottawa Curling Club Considering American Ice Maker?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-09-14 10:43AM
SAmbrose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SAmbrose Click here to Send SAmbrose a Private Message Find more posts by SAmbrose Add SAmbrose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SAmbrose
Knee-Slider

Ottawa Curling Club Considering American Ice Maker?

The home of Team Homan, Craig Savill, Jean Michel Menard, Earle Morris and nearly a dozen more national level participants is considering hiring an American ice maker for next season. The position was posted back in March after contract negotiations with current ice maker Jon Wall broke down. The club saw a significant increase in membership during Wall's tenure but the club felt his demands were too high and decided to part ways.

I find it a little worrisome that one of the most profitable clubs in the world cannot hang on to a good, young ice maker. Are ice makers demands too high or are curling club boards failing?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-14 11:59AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

I'm not sure of your point.

If the best candidate is out of the US, then why not hire him/her?

The ice conditions at the OCC was adequate this past season, but both the Rideau CC and RCMP CC were much better (I can attest to the fact the Rideau ice was better that the OCC, the RCMP I only know from second hand accounts). Now how much is due to the limitations of the building and the rocks, and how much is because of the ice maker, I don't know. But... I heard enough grumbling about the conditions that may me think that the OCC board wasn't going to open up a blank cheque in order to keep Wall around.

But is this the place to start dragging out issues between one club and their ice maker?

I don't know the whole story behind the parting of the ways between the OCC and their ice maker, but these things happen. Now it's up to the club to find the best candidate they can, and if it happens to be an American, then so be it.

04-09-14 03:38PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re ice makers employment

Ah the trials and tribulations of the ice maker............you are fired the day they hire you...they just haven't set the date ?

Two things can happen.......one is bad

04-09-14 07:18PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magicstew
Swing Artist

If the best person is American then so be it. The club has to make sure it is paying the ice-maker a reasonable wage. A good ice-maker is a benefit to the club. I hope this isn't a financial decision and they want to go a cheaper route.

04-11-14 09:48AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I still believe that, and THANK YOU DON CHERRY FANS, that we need to hire Canadian's in Canada... Train the new icemaker if you have to, but HIRE someone from your own country, like the President of the United States has also backed...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.235.189.32

04-15-14 10:30AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

From what I've heard, the American icemaker interested in the job has family in Ottawa and would like to move there to be closer to them.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!