Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Problems with new curling shoes

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-03-14 12:47PM
Markus250 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Markus250 Click here to Send Markus250 a Private Message Find more posts by Markus250 Add Markus250 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Markus250
Knee-Slider

Problems with new curling shoes

Hey everyone, long time curling fan/player, first time poster.

I've had my pair of Asham shoes for over 10 years, probably an 01 or 02 model. I'm 6/'4, size 14 feet that are flat as boards and use a full left slider. I'm not a competitive curler but really enjoy the game and am always looking to improve.

A couple weeks ago I left the shoes at the club and never found them again. This is the closest picture I could find, note that they are thick and puffy, especially in the tongue (sort or like skater shoes). Here

I bought some BalancePlus 200 shoes with 1/4 inch slider. I tried them out for the first time yesterday and it feels like I'm playing a different sport. It is very painful to slide, my trailing foot normally lays flat on the laces/tongue and the toes point straight back and without the padded tongue. With these shoes it feels like someone is stepping on the top of my ankle, which causes me to put more weight up front and is messing up my delivery (the faster slider might be making things hard on me as well).

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is it something I'll get used or something that requires a change? Should I get different shoes or is this a sign of a poorly balanced delivery (or maybe of my giant abnormal feet)? Any help would be appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-03-14 01:34PM
Skipman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skipman Click here to Send Skipman a Private Message Visit Skipman's homepage! Find more posts by Skipman Add Skipman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skipman
Harvey Hacksmasher

I own a curling retail store. Answer the questions below and send me the answers. I will then try to advise you.

THE FIFTEEN QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU PURCHASE CURLING SHOES.

Is there a shoe right for you? Yes there is but choosing the correct shoe is choosing one that meets your needs and budget.

If you want to email us the answers to the questions below, we will reply with a few suggestions about the shoe you may want to consider.

joe@hoglinecurling.com

Before you buy think about :

Am I right or left handed. We carry shoes for left handed people and can order other shoes.
How many times a week do I curl. Frequent playing means you need a sturdy shoe – leather not vinyl.
Am I gentle with my shoes or do I ride them hard and put them away wet. If you treat your shoes well (dry them out regularly) you can get away with a lower price point shoe.
Is my foot wide, narrow or just right Some brands are wider than others.
Other than marriage, do I get cold feet. You will need an insulated shoe and thats costs more.
If I have a current pair of curling shoes what thickness of slider do I have. Very important! There are 6 slider thicknesses and you want to ensure your new shoes have the same or a thicker slider than your old shoes.
Are my feet still growing (if you’re over 20 and still growing the curling shoe purchase is not your biggest problem). If you have kids who are still growing we have a number of suggestions to ease the economic burden of purchasing curling shoes. By buying a half a size bigger for instance, your child might get 2 seasons out of the new shoe.
When I try on shoes will the socks I wear be the same thickness as the ones I wear when I curl. Bring socks with you or use our loaner socks to ensure you get a good fit. Why we even wash them once a season!
Do I use orthotics. Take this into account and bring them when you try on shoes.
Do I have flat feet. Some brands offer more support.
Do I need arch support- God knows I get little support from my skip. Some shoes are better than others in this regard.
What position do I play. If you throw hits a lot you might want to consider a thicker slider.
Is my usual club cold. You might want a more insulated shoe and also one that offer lots of room in the toe box for air circulation.
What’s my budget. Shoes range from the high $60s to over $300. We will do all we can to take into account all of the above questions and your budget.
Do I have the time to buy shoes. Take some time to buy your shoes. They don’t fit like street shoes. Ensure you lace them properly to give the shoe a good test.
The shoes you ultimately pick will depend on your answers to the questions above. No two curling manufacturers make their shoes alike.

At the Hogline Curlers Proshop our variety of inventory can deliver you a suitable shoe that might just make for a great if not a better delivery.

04-03-14 02:17PM
Markus250 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Markus250 Click here to Send Markus250 a Private Message Find more posts by Markus250 Add Markus250 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Markus250
Knee-Slider

My feet have never felt cold (in fact, they sweat sometimes)

I have no idea what thickness the old slider was and since my old shoes are gone, I can't find out. I'm 99% sure the new slider is thicker than the old one (and has the BalancePlus "hole" in it).

I have orthotics but since I got them after the old shoes, I never used them in those shoes and never found it to be an issue. Perhaps using the insoles in the new shoes (if they fit) would be for the best but as my current issue is with the other side of the foot I don't think it'll help here.

04-03-14 02:58PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magicstew
Swing Artist

Markus - can't believe you switched brands after having curling shoes that lasted you for over 10 years.
I would have got a pair of Asham Slams as I am in the same boat as you with flat feet - I am 6'5". They just seem to have the width for my feet - 1/4" teflon, get the toe dipped, and teflon over your trailing laces and you will be lightning on ice.
Too bad you didn't have a chance to try these.
Good Luck

04-03-14 03:01PM
Markus250
Knee-Slider

I believe my old Ashams were size 13 (in some types of shoes I can squeeze into these) and after some intial tightness they were fine.

I tried a few different brands in whatever I could find in size 13, the BalancePlus 200s were the only ones that I could get on my foot. Since they were also often recommended, I figured it was the way to go but maybe Ashams would have been better.

04-03-14 03:08PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Once upon a time Dack's were the Rolls Royce of curling shoes. I bought a pair 18 years ago. They cost at the time if I am not mistaken right around $300. I know! But as someone who has spent a lot of money on golf equipment, I know from experience that you often get what you pay for when it comes to performance equipment.

Fast forward 18 years later. I'd be shattered if my Dack's were lost or stolen. Yup, I'm still wearing them. I believe the guy that started Balance Plus used to be the main Dack's rep for the curling shoe division. Dack's themselves got out of the curling shoe business something like ten years ago.

So I can sympathize with losing the perfect pair of shoes. Someday I will be in the same boat. Hopefully at an age where retiring from the game will make sense. Twenty-five years or so from now:-)

04-04-14 10:32AM
Markus250
Knee-Slider

While I didn't make it out to the ice yesterday, I did spend the evening doing chores around the house in my shoes to see how they'd break in. I also did some stretches and simulated delivery position and may have realized what the problem is.

I think the laces on these shoes may be higher up or perhaps the shoe is stiffer in that area, it's the tightness around my ankle that is the problem. I used to pull the old laces as tight as I could so that they wouldn't come loose but there was more "give" in those shoes and the last row of laces may have been lower on the ankle. When I tighten my shoes up with my new shoes, I've realized the tightness from flexing my ankle is where the paid comes from moreso than the pressure from the ice (I assume). Hopefully loosening up the laces and double knotting them gives me flexibility during the delivery without being too loose or having the laces come undone.

04-04-14 02:32PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magicstew
Swing Artist

Too bad you didn't get the info from skipman regarding what to look for in purchasing shoes before hand. That is good information. You should be okay Markus.
Maybe look at getting a sliding cover sewn over the laces if they still bother you. Makes sliding more smoother.

04-04-14 03:28PM
Markus250
Knee-Slider

When I went to try on the shoes, they had a BP 200 1/4" and a BP 300 3/16" in my size. I figured I wanted the lace covers (I believe that is the only upgrade you get with the 300s) to prevent the laces from coming undone without thinking about the current problem I'm having but when I tried them on they didn't fit well so it doesn't matter.

I've got a spiel this weekend, hopefully by the end of it I'll be used to these things and foudn the right tightness for the top laces. If pressure on the ice is still an issue after that, maybe sewing something into the inside of the tongue might be the better way to go, a little extra padding without changing the outside look or getting in the way of the laces.

04-05-14 01:37AM
Markus250
Knee-Slider

Happy to report that loosening up the top laces made everything 99% better and I'm sure I'll be fully used to these shoes shortly. Heck, we even won, thanks for the feedback everyone.

04-13-14 01:55PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

While not a curler, I have been tying shoes for 60 plus years and only now find out that there are right and wrong ways to tie shoes. Wrong way - they loosen, right way - they never loosen. Google "right way to tie shoes". Hope this may help somebody.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.54.104.108

03-18-24 03:19PM
AnnaWheeles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AnnaWheeles Find more posts by AnnaWheeles Add AnnaWheeles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AnnaWheeles
Knee-Slider

Curling shoes are game-changers on the ice! Their specialized design, featuring a Teflon-coated sole for smooth gliding and a grippy rubber sole for stability, enhances performance and precision during every slide. With their comfortable fit and durable build, these shoes ensure that curlers can focus solely on their technique and strategy, leading to more enjoyable and successful matches. Whether you're a seasoned competitor or a casual enthusiast, investing in curling shoes is a step towards elevating your game and embracing the joy of this unique sport.