Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-22-14 09:07PM
Tour Guide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tour Guide Click here to Send Tour Guide a Private Message Find more posts by Tour Guide Add Tour Guide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The scheduling of playdowns is done by a paid employee of Curl BC, the competitions director.

This statement is not quite accurate or complete. The Curl BC competitions staff person doesn't make all the contacts and arrangements with clubs to host regional playdown events. This is usually handled by the different regions and their directors or boards. The Curl BC office and/or competitions committee will stipulate a time frame within which a regional playdown needs to be held, but not the exact date for an event. This gives regions and host clubs some flexibility in booking regional playdowns. Sometimes, as the Curl BC staff person, I was forced to accept playdown dates and conflicts that I didn't want to see.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-22-14 10:42PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

There's being reasonable and then there's not. If the governing body cannot, or will not, ensure to the people who pay their hard earned money that events will NOT conflict, then that same governing body has no right to enforce (or even institute) a rule which doesn't allow those members to join an event in progress when that events scheduling conflicts with another.

In short, curlers should not be penalized because Curl BC cant organize their schedule. Sorry Tour Guide, your argument holds no water.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.146

04-23-14 02:06AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
There's being reasonable and then there's not. If the governing body cannot, or will not, ensure to the people who pay their hard earned money that events will NOT conflict, then that same governing body has no right to enforce (or even institute) a rule which doesn't allow those members to join an event in progress when that events scheduling conflicts with another.

In short, curlers should not be penalized because Curl BC cant organize their schedule. Sorry Tour Guide, your argument holds no water.

Uh... not sure what you're thinking here, but Tour Guide didn't say anything about the rule. All he said was that sometimes they were forced into scheduling events that were at conflicting times, even though they tried not to. And it's a bit unreasonable to blame Curl BC for scheduling conflicts... re-read Tour Guide's post and think (I know, shocking, thinking on an internet forum!). He was said that there are a lot of things that are outside of Curl BC's control, including when host clubs are actually available for hosting an event.

The rule is in place for whatever reason (and I'm curious what those reasons are), but if you have a problem with it, then bring it up with Curl BC. The problem I have is that it was in place, and they ignored it outright, accidentally or otherwise.

(And you shouldn't compare it to the John Morris residency issue. The rule as written was enforced in John's case, even if the interpretation might be considered a bit loose as to his working situation in BC... and no, don't open that up again, that's not the point.)

Last edited by JustAnotherHack on 04-23-14 at 02:09AM

04-23-14 02:22AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Ah yes, JAH, thinking-what a concept. Tour guide was attempting to justify scheduling conflicts when there isno reason for it. Therefore his argument holds no water.

And no where do i compare it to John Morris. Perhaps its you who should reread posts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.146

04-24-14 12:49AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:
Ah yes, JAH, thinking-what a concept. Tour guide was attempting to justify scheduling conflicts when there isno reason for it. Therefore his argument holds no water.

And no where do i compare it to John Morris. Perhaps its you who should reread posts?

First part... there are reason for scheduling conflicts. It does happen for reasons outside of Curl BC's control. Just because you say there is no reason for it does not make it so.

But if you think you could coordinate the competitive curling schedule for Curl BC and try to set up clubs and dates to hold the events across the province and do it without any sort of conflict, year in, year out... well, you should step up there bub and volunteer. You seem to know everything that there is to know about it and should be able to do it no problem.

No, you didn't compare this to the John Morris thing. But I was preemptively trying to prevent people from using that argument regarding the issue with Wes Craig. My apologies if you think that comment was directed at you.

04-26-14 02:13AM
gregburns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gregburns Click here to Send gregburns a Private Message Find more posts by gregburns Add gregburns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregburns
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Tour Guide
While I'm on here, I'd like to offer my congratulations to the Darren Frycz team from Langley that won the Pacific International Cup, but more importantly the BC Dominion Curling Club Championship, this past weekend in Richmond. They now get to represent BC in Halifax next November at the national event, which my team attended in 2012. I can attest to this being the greatest event out there for club curlers and can't thank Dominion enough for putting it on.

Darren's squad did well in beating Sean Geall then Dave Mellof from Kelowna, two guys who've been to the Brier, in the playoffs on Sunday. Mellof also had Neil Cussons with him, who at one time curled competitively with Pat Simmons.

Darren and the guys really didn't have a stellar season in the Langley men's league. We played them once in the A block and beat them in a hurry. I think they spent most of the season in B block, but they turned it on at the end of the season to win the Langley club championship and then qualify at the Mainland Club Challenge.

Darren has won the PIC once before and has had success on the Region 11 Men's Bonspiel Tour in past seasons.

Richard

Those kudos are well deserved.
We had two hard-fought games against those guys at the PIC, and in the playoffs they went and did it the hard way.... three sudden-death wins without the hammer against good teams. I don't mind though; four terrific guys who were a pleasure to play against!
The event was just awesome; good curling and tight tight games all around. You wouldn't believe some of the linescores.

Darren, Steve, Don and Bill will be great ambassadors for BC and will have a great time out East.

This was my first time at the PIC but the 15th year for all the volunteers & committee..... they have that thing absolutely dialled in and it is an amazing event. Was trying to think of a single thing they could have done better and could not. Wonderful job all around.
If and when anyone ever decides he is done with playdowns (I was jokingly calling it the sandbaggers' cup all week), you would do well to shoot for this event even just once. Phenomenally fun.

Craig Bernes
Campbell R / Comox