Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-04-14 04:17PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Southern Hemisphere

First of all, I have to extend belated congrats to Hans Fraunlob's rink for winning the silver in last year's Senior Final. New Zealand has the only dedicated curling club in the Southern Hemisphere-and Hans' rink doesn't curl there!

Now, on the subject of the Southern Hemisphere, I suggest that, if the game is to have any hope of really taking root "Down Under", then the Southern Hemisphere needs to have a reserved spot in the Worlds, instead of qualifying through Asia in what is their "Off-Season". Australia/New Zealand (and any other island) should have their regional playoff at the end of their season (the beginning of North America's season). The winner can then spend the next six months getting $pon$or$hip and, if there's enough $$$ make an early trip to North America to take part on the Tour.

Thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-05-14 03:44PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Last I heard, there's a couple of dedicated rinks down in NZ (Dunedin and Naseby I think)...

I don't think you're going to get much agreement on this. Especially from the WCF. They want to grow the game in Asia first and foremost... it's just a bigger market.

I do have an issue on how curling is being supported in Asia. It's almost exclusively government funded (I've played against any teams from Korea, China and Japan over the last few years, and they're being funded to come to Canada to play, except maybe the Japanese). It's almost never on the general populace's radar, except during the Olympics.

(Then again, that's a problem in a lot of other countries too.)

If you want to grow the sport in NZ/Australia you need to get government buy-in, and additional support from the WCT at the developmental level. And a dedicated rink in Australia and on the North Island would help too... maybe something along the lines of what a lot of US clubs are doing (converting an industrial space/warehouse into a dedicated facility) to make the costs manageable.

02-14-14 07:40PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Pretty slim chance that curling will become anything more than a funny game that people in the northern hemisphere play.

Too many other sports have the Kiwi’s interest. Rugby, cricket, sailing, rowing.

There is curling on hockey ice in Auckland as well as the clubs down south. I believe there was talk of building an ice complex in Wellington but it was the first thing to go in budget cuts.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 210.246.35.214

03-15-14 05:52PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

They did score a silver in Men's Senior last year (with a few ex-patriot Canucks!)

03-28-14 08:16PM
monticello

Jimbobogie,

Brazil's team would love to play Australia and NZ for a Southern Hemisphere spot!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.71.164.58

04-02-14 02:52PM
ledesmapineiro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ledesmapineiro Click here to Send ledesmapineiro a Private Message Find more posts by ledesmapineiro Add ledesmapineiro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ledesmapineiro
Knee-Slider

Hi Monticello! :D I believe the plan of the WCF is to keep Australia and New Zealand into the "Asia" zone, as its cheaper to afford the traveling like that (there is a transpolar flight Buenos Aires - Sydney, but its not as cheap as if you would go to China or Japan from there) Besides, there are in Asia several really competitive teams.

Brazil participation into the classification schemes, would only be possible if the Latin America Region starts taking off in the sport (otherwise, it will remain where it is now, with Canada, US and the Virgin Islands).

I believe that requesting the WCF for any kind of "Southern Hemisphere Classification seat" into the big tournaments is unrealistic right now, mostly due it wouldn't be fair for the weakest teams try to play the strongest: the difference is HUGE. Another different (and possible) project would be trying to organize a bonspiel for the Southern Countries and Clubs while they're preparing themselves in CAN/USA and Europe: that would not only be possible, it will be logical, and will help to raise the level of play of all these countries.

The thing is that we all need to evolve in the sport. And trying to find small (but concrete) actions that would allow to form a small "elite", that once back home, would take care of "evolving". A measure in this sense would be something like the "Development House", a place where Australians, NewZealanders, Brazilians and any other country that its officially fostered by the WCF might spent their long periods of training abroad, reducing the logistical costs (housing, services, etc.), and focusing in spending all the little resources in the tickets. This will only work if the same countries could have an access to the ice that allows them to train, train, train...

If there is anyone interested in this kind of project, say it now, say it here! I believe we all can draft a project, and try to present it, I believe it could "pass", as its realistic and not expensive at all as a development measure for the benefit of ALL the small countries, as you would be taken care of the best ones, whom would take care of the grassroots once back home (something should be asked by the WCF in exchange! ;-) After all, having the infrastructure doesn't mean you have enough level of competition, so strong and concrete measures for easing the access to compete should be taken.

My two cents! :D

Last edited by ledesmapineiro on 04-02-14 at 02:54PM

04-02-14 03:37PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

An even bigger problem is one that humans can't control-the Northern Hemisphere's curling season is the South's (very hot) summer and the South's (still hot) winter is our summer. That's one reason why Oceania is at a disadvantage when having to qualify through Asia.

04-02-14 05:32PM
Unregistered

does anyone know if any other south American countries are trying to start curling?

if so maybe the change could be made to give the south American countries one spot automatically. Nothing breeds growth better than exposure to the best teams and ice and these south American curlers will never get that esperience as is.

on a side not does anyone know why that Brazilian team never spiels?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-03-14 04:02AM
ledesmapineiro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ledesmapineiro Click here to Send ledesmapineiro a Private Message Find more posts by ledesmapineiro Add ledesmapineiro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ledesmapineiro
Knee-Slider

As far as I know, Brazil will participate for the first time ever in a WCF event in the next Mixed Doubles Championship.

The Argentinean Curling Association is being born as we speak (right now, in tratatives with the WCF for being a member) and certanly they will be curling the next season (!)

Lastly, the NOC's/Sports Authorities from Chile and Peru expressed their interest in developing curling locally too!

So yes, I believe in the next five years South America will be quite present in the curling world! :D

Said so, I don't believe any changes will be done in terms of classifications within this or the next Olympic era, perhaps once curling is well established, that could be a fact.

My two cents! :D

04-03-14 05:43AM
monticello

Since I am one of the brazilian players, I can answer the question from "Unregistered".

The Brazilian couples never spiels before because we were looking for the girl to play it for a very long time.. And we found her this year hidden in Whitehorse, Yukon (a.k.a. the North Pole).

Currently we have more than 20 brazilians(only in Vancouver) training and competing in order to get ready for the next season..

You can see more about this history here (use Google Translator from Portuguese to English):
http://blogs.estadao.com.br/olimpil...sil-no-curling/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 108.172.63.191

04-03-14 10:02AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by monticello
Since I am one of the brazilian players, I can answer the question from "Unregistered".

The Brazilian couples never spiels before because we were looking for the girl to play it for a very long time.. And we found her this year hidden in Whitehorse, Yukon (a.k.a. the North Pole).

Currently we have more than 20 brazilians(only in Vancouver) training and competing in order to get ready for the next season..

You can see more about this history here (use Google Translator from Portuguese to English):
http://blogs.estadao.com.br/olimpil...sil-no-curling/

Thanks for the article. I wish Brazil and any South American countries success with their development. Its always good to see new countries take on the sport and get involved, it can only be good.