M: BC Mens - Lower Mainland Playdowns
M: BC Mens - North Playdown
M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - Acton
M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - RCMP
W: BC Scotties Open Event #1
W: Alberta Scotties - Qualifier 1
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mens olympics

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-21-18 03:56PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

It should be noted that Koe has been playing consistently very well. In two loses the other skips pplayed well above their averages, including Shuster who opened with a four ender and then barely hung on to win. If Koe maintains their game, their odds are pretty good.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-21-18 04:25PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
It should be noted that Koe has been playing consistently very well. In two loses the other skips pplayed well above their averages, including Shuster who opened with a four ender and then barely hung on to win. If Koe maintains their game, their odds are pretty good.

Although I would generally agree with your comment regarding Koe and his team's play, I think there are shots in all the games that Team Koe has lost that first off, we don't expect him to miss and second, have contributed to the team losing the game, irrespective of how well the opposition curled.

The four ender that the Swiss scored in the first end was attributable to Hebert positioning his first two rocks poorly and then Koe throwing his last rock draw into the hack.

Koe has missed a number of slash doubles - almost all wide inturns and almost all narrow - that we are not used to him missing.

Even the USA game was more of a give away by Team Koe than being attributable to opposition good play. Don't misconstrue my comment - The USA team played very well, but if Canada doesn't mess up two or three shots in that game, the outcome is completely different.

If Koe is not at his normally outstanding best, and if the USA team plays like they did in the round robin game, I think the outcome will be undecided far later in the game than I will feel comfortable with...

I think if you sat down with Kevin over a beer and had a chat with him, he would make those same comments.

02-21-18 05:52PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
You're making a couple of big assumptions there.

1. That Sweden gets past the tiebreak winner. Likely, but not guaranteed.

2. That Canada beats the US...there's already been one defeat there this Olympics, and Shuster's on a role...I fancy his chances.

I suspect given the playoff pressure and a chance to analyze how they lost to Shuster in the RR, they'll control possibly dominate the game next time out. I just don't see Shuster winning. Possible, yes, Likely, no. Koe is one of best clutch players in history.

It's a game though they are played for a reason. Congratulations to Team Shuster for being far, far better then most US champions and imprpving over several years.

02-21-18 08:08PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Interesting head to head for Smith and deCruz. Almost even, but Smith came out ahead in recent Euros.
Precision by Swiss in 9th. Not sure if Smith had a different shot. WTG Hop Suisse. Good Luck.

Last edited by nelski on 02-21-18 at 09:40PM

02-22-18 07:03AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

Does anyone else see the Fred Flintstone in John Shuster?

"It is easy in the world to live after the worlds opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-22-18 07:14AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Nope.

Kennedy struggling early on.

Canada uses TO in the fifth.

Ed Luckovich on the U.S. stream makes it tough to stay awake.

02-22-18 07:16AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Nope.

Kennedy struggling early on.

Canada uses TO in the fifth.

Ed Luckovich on the U.S. stream makes it tough to stay awake.

Sweden spanking the Swiss.

02-22-18 08:10AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Tough close stone on stone game between US and Canada through 7.

In the 8th, Koe blinks first and gives up a steal of 2.

That could be huge.

02-22-18 08:22AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

like the chinese water torture for koe team ....

slipping away slowly

easier to die with a 4 bullet

02-22-18 08:29AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
like the chinese water torture for koe team ....

slipping away slowly

easier to die with a 4 bullet

Good analogy Grasshopper,

Captain America (plump-sized version) is putting it to Lex Luthor and Team Discussion Group.

Koe might be better off running out of time than having Capt. America execute him directly with a final rock double.

Koe has two massive blunders in 8 & 9 - soiling himself with 2 vicious misses in the 8th, including coming up 20 feet short on his draw to salvage a game-controlling point. Then in 9 he can't execute a fairly delicate (but makeable) tap for the deuce!

Doesn't matter that much - The Plump Boyz will get jmoidered by the bearded elf-man Nik in the final - but they'll get silver and restore American pride. Koe will be in a dog's breakfast battle for a bronze. Who woulda thunk it - Homan with 5 losses, Koe playing rough for bronze?

02-22-18 08:45AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Shuster played that game perfectly.

Kept it close, forced the miss potential shots, and got the critical misses, and then nails the final nose hit to win.

USA vs Sweden for the Gold

Canada vs. Switzerland for the Bronze

02-22-18 08:48AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Screw you ML, Shuster is in great shape and was the better man today.

Can't congratulate, only insult.

Played them shot for shot and Koe blinked first.

Last edited by biterbar on 02-22-18 at 08:50AM

02-22-18 08:54AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Screw you ML, Shuster is in great shape and was the better man today.

Can't congratulate, only insult.

Played them shot for shot and Koe blinked first.

Congrats US. Good game against Team Canada. Gold medal game up next. I don't think you're gonna do it but silver is still good. I hope Canada beats Switz but they did lose to them in the RR. Anyway, good luck to all.

02-22-18 08:54AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Ehh, I'm okay with ML's approbation and prediction...

Since he can't get anything right, him calling a Sweden walkover all but drapes the gold onto Shuster's neck.

Admittedly, I don't actually believe that, but ML is right about as often as the watch my parents gave me for graduation 30 years ago, which is broken in a drawer as a keepsake...and since it was digital, it doesn't even have that "stopped watch right twice a day" thing going for it.

02-22-18 09:04AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Well I couldn't have called that more wrong. Kennedy was nowhere near his best, and Team U.S.A. outcurled us at every position. A disappointing Olympics for sure.

02-22-18 09:27AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Koe didn't just miss that draw in the 8th...he missed it by a mile. That looked like one of Homan's Olympic draws. I know the top teams from the rest of the world have caught up to Canada's top teams, but Canada's best skips should still be able to hit the house when needed.

02-22-18 09:40AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

16 slam curlers just asked themselves

“ if this is what I get for 4 years of practising ..... golf is sure lookin good “

Lots of retirements by April after the Briar ..

My secret the last 50 years is for worlds and olympics - watch sparingly - 3 shots every second end and don’t get involved or hopeful

Not sure whether to pay $42 for my Olympic gold on eBay ( free shipping by mar 15 ) or wait a month and buy one for $5

Hope kk gets a bronze tomorrowish

02-22-18 10:44AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Benihana (Hebert) is gonna be one disturbed hired hand after that one.

EVERY CANUCK CURLER GOT OUT-CURLED BY THEIR AMERICAN COUTER-PART.

Even Tyler George, who was trying hard to keep Canada in the match near the end out-curled Mark K by 3%.

Benny & Lainger were outright demolished.

Koe was Canada's best curler but he ran out of gas in the last 3 ends with some poor shots & choices!

02-22-18 10:50AM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am happy for the Shuster rink, they are playing there best at the right time and that is critical in these long events. This group worked hard to get here and even though the USCA will say they are one of theirs, this is and was a self formed team. First they were rejected and then brought into the fold when US curling wanted to take credit for their accomplishments. I am pretty sure that would leave a chip on your shoulder! Congrats Team Shuster.

02-22-18 11:04AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom
I am happy for the Shuster rink, they are playing there best at the right time and that is critical in these long events. This group worked hard to get here and even though the USCA will say they are one of theirs, this is and was a self formed team. First they were rejected and then brought into the fold when US curling wanted to take credit for their accomplishments. I am pretty sure that would leave a chip on your shoulder! Congrats Team Shuster.

Yes. Self-formed. Long haul to this point. Congratulations team Shuster. Drove all the way to Swan River to play in WCT events. Road Warriors. Studied and learned. Good luck in the gold medal game. And Team Koe - we need the bronze - Team Canada needs that bronze. Go Cda Go

02-22-18 11:06AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Rachel's rock burn kick-off gets outdone by Jocelyn Larocque - as soon as they hung the hockey silver around her neck she took it off while still on camera ..

they made her put it back on ...

ML , remember when Gary Ross team was runner up in the provincials for the 11th time and received the Birks silver runner up platter again at the old arena
( something you and i would have killed for - even once ! )

They graciously accepted the runner up 15 inch silver platter and walked off smiling ..

10 seconds after they dissappeared

CLATTER CLATTER BANG BANG CLATTER CLATTER
ECHOED THROUGH OUT the whole arena as Russ Cassidy fired it into the walls and it bounced off two walls and onto the floor

-that jocelyn is how its done !

threw a few tantrums myself under pressure that still bother me ..

but you can only really criticize if you have been to the depths of hell in sport .. gardeners comments are not allowed

Last edited by fresca on 02-22-18 at 11:08AM

02-22-18 11:08AM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Team Koe is playing great and I will be astonished if they don't make the gold medal game. After giving up the four they were pretty much flawless. Moral of the story, don't give up four. To call it rare is to understate the case by a lot. Sure they lost but they played at a level that is gonna be damn hard to beat. It was the kind of loss that only sharpens your game.

The game against Team Sweden was to put it simply a classic. Awesome curling by both sides. It is the kinda of game that you dream of playing in, and the kind of game that you care least about losing. Sure you'd rather win, always. But if you are any kind of curler at all you'd rather be on the losing end of that kind of game than winning ugly in a **** show.

As to their play calling. Aside from the FGZ the best thing that the brothers Howard brought to the game was democracy. When I was a kid a curling team was run like a dictatorship or a corporation or a military unit. I.e. Shut up and follow orders. Seriously it was that bad, and it was the convention everywhere, and woe unto those who didn't follow suit. They were instantly and always labelled "bad teammates".

Russ and Glenn didn't curl that way, and Glenn took it to a whole new level when he took over his own team. As a result no team had better chemistry and no team has ever been better able to come back from adversity. Slowly but surely this innovation spread across the curling landscape and now is the norm.

As a result, finally, every player is now fully engaged. Used to be a lead and second threw their rocks, swept, and paid as little attention as humanely possible lest they see something they felt the need to share. Now every player is fully engaged in reading the ice, remembering the paths, and contributing to the strategy. As a result every position is more properly understood to be the critical component to success that it is and always was in reality.

Team Koe is completely devoted to the Howard system and the better for it. I can also guarantee you that they are also far less stressed now than they were curling for Martin. Kevin understood the advantages of this innovation but, shall we say, didn't find it the easiest change to make.

Well Said. You do not get points for finishing with the most time on the clock and you do not get to carry over time into your next game. Team Koe utilizes their time well (for the most part) and with the experience they have, they use it. I coach junior curling and I tell my teams that the skip should leave the house for their final rock with one minute on the clock. That's plenty of time to set up and shoot.

02-22-18 12:00PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom

I'm surprised they won but it's not shocking they've been a solid improving team for several years who got into the gym to try to take the next step. Every country gets a team and in a short run a medal is possible for most of them.

I have to wonder if the heavy schedules these Olympic hopefuls in Canada ( and some intl teams ) play lead to burn out. Especially the players that have been near the top for an extended period of time, or have new life commitments beyond Curling. Might be time to adjust the point system to allow teams a reduced schedule more easily.

Well done Team Shuster and hopefully Team Koe can get over the loss and pick up a bronze.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 02-22-18 at 04:21PM

02-22-18 12:08PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
Koe didn't just miss that draw in the 8th...he missed it by a mile. That looked like one of Homan's Olympic draws. I know the top teams from the rest of the world have caught up to Canada's top teams, but Canada's best skips should still be able to hit the house when needed.

Numerous teams had their moments struggling with reading the tracks on the ice for draws. Canada still has the majority of great men's teams; in an isolated event where everybody gets an entry you aren't going to win every time.

02-22-18 12:36PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

Ever since Shuster's whining at the 2016 worlds against Japan, I have not been a fan. They curled better than Canada on this day. Deserved the win. With that said, GO SWEDEN!!