Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Sydney, N.S.

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-17-19 01:43PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Pretty sure 90% of viewers enjoy Vic ‘ repartee

Not easy to make1000 games seem exciting and worth watching

We definitely like the announcers - just saying

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-17-19 01:51PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I don't mind Vic's schtick. I would like though that someone in the control room have a master mute button for all 3 so that when the players are talking they can mute them so they don't talk over top of the players. Much rather hear what Homan or Gushue have to say vs Cheryl or Russ.

02-17-19 02:49PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

Did anyone else see NL vs. YK this afternoon? NL was lying 3 and had a wide open hit to score 6. Instead, they decided to draw for 4 and missed it to take just 3. I can't believe an entire curling team missed that call.

02-17-19 03:23PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
Did anyone else see NL vs. YK this afternoon? NL was lying 3 and had a wide open hit to score 6. Instead, they decided to draw for 4 and missed it to take just 3. I can't believe an entire curling team missed that call.

its a lower tier club curling call. Skip obviously felt she couldn't make an open hit - thought nessling up to 3 in the 4 ft. was easier option - came up 4 or 5 feet short. Lots of that going on in Sydney.

02-17-19 03:41PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

its a lower tier club curling call. Skip obviously felt she couldn't make an open hit - thought nessling up to 3 in the 4 ft. was easier option - came up 4 or 5 feet short. Lots of that going on in Sydney.

That still seems backward to me. I bet she makes that hit 99% of the time, especially since she didn't have to stick around to outscore any sort of draw she could play.

02-17-19 08:24PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Where is N.S. 5th Kim Kelly? Surely she could fill in for the ailing Jill Brothers.

02-17-19 08:34PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Where is N.S. 5th Kim Kelly? Surely she could fill in for the ailing Jill Brothers.

From Devin Herouxs tweet
Kim Kelly is the fifth for the Nova Scotia Brothers Team. But Kim is curling with Colleen Jones in the senior playdowns right now. In fact they’re in the finals tomorrow.

02-17-19 09:22PM
EPMD
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by decade
From Devin Herouxs tweet
Kim Kelly is the fifth for the Nova Scotia Brothers Team. But Kim is curling with Colleen Jones in the senior playdowns right now. In fact they’re in the finals tomorrow.

You would think that availability would be a base-level requirement when seeking an alternate.

02-17-19 09:37PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Your all ****ing idiots = yafi

How classy

Is it a coincidence that you would be the one to assume that a stands for all?

02-17-19 09:59PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

kim kelly

Nobody would have thought they would start 0-3 and the skip would get sick. Could of should of been 2-1

02-17-19 10:07PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Ms. Brothers is toughing it out. So far, she's only suffering from laryngitis - if she starts suffering secondary symptoms they'll call in Kim Kelly to be sure.

Feel bad for Erin Carmody - almost won the thing 9 years ago - she had Jennifer Jones on the canvas, searching for her mouthpiece but Jones got up and proceeded to take the duke over Carmody & her crew of Kathy O'Rourke & M.L. Ramsey.

So far Team Homan just kicking rocks up and down the sheet. Not playing any real tough competition until next weekend might put them in a bad position - although intensity & focus have never been a problem for Homan & Co. (2nd time in event that Kreviazuk has come in for Courtney)

02-17-19 10:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Kim is in the seniors final tomorrow 9am, be in Sydney for late afternoon. I'm sure brothers knew that going in. I doubt Brothers would have taken herself out of the game tonight anyway.

And it was G-L Ramsay

02-18-19 11:43AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Go PEI!

It's nice to see from the scores that Suzanne Birt and team PEI step up and win a game against Team Canada.

That's probably it for the only competitive team in Pool B even close to Jones and Co. with the shots, talent and cool resolve to give them a run.

02-18-19 02:27PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Go PEI!

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
It's nice to see from the scores that Suzanne Birt and team PEI step up and win a game against Team Canada.

That's probably it for the only competitive team in Pool B even close to Jones and Co. with the shots, talent and cool resolve to give them a run.

Love Cool Hand Susan (Birt) but the sad fact is Jones is the main opponent for Jones in almost every match.

Birt defeated a skip who barely made 50% and was in the high 20s as late as the 4th end.

Jones also has two other major impediments in her grouping - Robyn Silvernagle (SK) despite having the skittish Stefanie Lawton at vice has proven resilient thus far and Casey Scheidegger, despite a morning loss to Sask'n, can match Jones rock for rock throughout her lineup - and take advantage of the numerous mistakes Jones is starting to cough up in almost every game she plays.

Could easily be SIlvernagle & Jesse Wildcard coming out of that group if Jones continues her current funk!

02-18-19 02:57PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Best curlers all time

Who are the 31 voters? please tell me Vic did not vote.

02-18-19 03:17PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Wow, back-to-back steals of 2 in each of the 3rd and 4th end against Team Canada. It shows Birt is employing an aggressive strategy that she figures her opponents can't match.

My recollection is that this is the fearless gameplan that earned her team a 10-1 RR record some years back at the Canadian championship.

02-18-19 03:56PM
EPMD
Hitting Paint

Re: Best curlers all time

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Who are the 31 voters? please tell me Vic did not vote.

Such a weird idea to do this. It's essentially going to be the players from the dominant teams. It might even be 3/4 Team Jennifer Jones. What's the point?

I also laugh at the thought that some of the leads from 20 years ago are being considered all-time greats. The great front ends have just gotten so much stronger in terms of sweeping and are doing so much more to affect the outcome of games. Any of the top 10 leads out there right now are miles ahead of the top leads from the 90s.

02-18-19 04:09PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Apples and pine cones

You can't compare players from different eras. Especially when there are few people still alive to remember. I have a feeling this will end up a combination of popularity contest a and pure stats on paper. And really, how else can you judge.

I'd be very curious to see the votes released so we can see how everyone voted. No doubt there will be provincial bias.

And my questions are, who picked the 31 voters? Is this just a TSN thing or would they let the likes of Martin and Harris vote from Sportsnet?

Would Martin vote for himself? I bet not.

02-18-19 04:10PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Dawn McEwen crushing Lisa Weagle & Marci G. by 18 to 5 was a bit of a surprise.

Suspect Courtney will give Jill Officer a run for her money for the 2nd spot with Mary-Anne & Joan McCusker giving both a run for their money. In terms of medals - Jilly blows away all but Mary-Anne - but Mary-Anne doesn't have Olympic gold.

3rd should boil down to a 2-way contest between Kaitlyn Lawes & Emma Miskew - they are 2 of the top 3 in the world . . . .only Sara McManus (Team Hasselborg) could make a case to be rated higher.

Skip is another 3-way. JJ Jones, Coco Jones & R Homan. Both Coco & JJ have 6 STOHs each; Rachel has 3.
But I can really see this vote being the most divisive. Coco is the best defensive skip, Rachel the best pure shooter, JJ the best risk-taker. But out of the blue comes Sandra Schmirler to make it a 4-way - and prolly wins:
My guess:

Schmirler - 11
JJ Jones - 9
Rachel - 6
Coco Jones - 5

02-18-19 04:20PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

you left off the top 2 mates of all time
Cathy O and Kim Kelly. What a short memory

02-18-19 04:25PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

From the TSN website. This is appears to be the list of nominees
Janet Arnott (MB)
Lorraine Bowles (BC)
June Coyle (AB)
Nancy Delahunt (NS)
Marcia Gudereit (SK)
Tracy Kennedy (ON)
Dawn McEwen (MB/ON
Lenore Morrison (SK)
Laine Peters (AB)
May Shaw (BC)
Renee Simons (BC)
Lisa Weagle (ON)

02-18-19 04:50PM
EPMD
Hitting Paint

quote:

And Betker. She was dynamite.

For skips, you can't pick anyone but Jones or Jones. Homan might get there before too long, but she has a few more titles to win yet, and she probably has to redeem herself in the Olympics.

02-18-19 05:11PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Cathy O & Kimmer will get some votes for top 3rd - - - - I suspect Jan Betker will get a couple more!

Still comes down to Lawes vs. Miskew - - - - - although Emma has 3 hearts to Kaitlyn's 1

Betker has 3, I believe Kelly has 3 or 4

Kaitlyn's redeeming value is her Olympic gold, only matched by Betker. . . . but Kaitlyn was very young in the Sochi Olympics - Jones basically put her entire team on her back and carried them to GOLD

So I guess I've eliminated Kaitlyn - and it comes down to Emma vs. Jan Betker.

As an aside - no one changed their position more than Jill Officer changed the position of 2nd.

So the all-star list

L - McEwen
2 - Officer
3 - Betker or Miskew
4 - JJ or Coco

02-18-19 06:36PM
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

If we're talking top vices in the women's game I give the nod to Betker at number 1 with a wash between Kim Kelly and Cathy O for 2 and 3. Betker has close to an unblemished record of accomplishments; she was the anchor of a team that won at the highest levels over and over again.
It can't be overstated how critical both Kim Kelly ang Cathy O were to their team's success at arguably the toughest competition in the women's game, the STOH.

(Those others mentioned are also quite good.)

02-18-19 07:18PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
If we're talking top vices in the women's game I give the nod to Betker at number 1 with a wash between Kim Kelly and Cathy O for 2 and 3. Betker has close to an unblemished record of accomplishments; she was the anchor of a team that won at the highest levels over and over again.
It can't be overstated how critical both Kim Kelly ang Cathy O were to their team's success at arguably the toughest competition in the women's game, the STOH.

(Those others mentioned are also quite good.)

Your arguments are most compelling. Kaitlyn may be an amazing player and currently ranked as one of the top 3 3rds in the world (Emma, McManus the others) but she's only viced one gold at the STOH, 1 world gold. Her Olympic gold matches Betker & exceeds Miskew but the fact she was carried by Jones puts a tiny taint on it. Kelly Kim prolly deserves more votes than she'll receive from this Group of 31.