Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Announcements > Announcements > CurlingZone Cyber Attack

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-11 07:18PM
Dallas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dallas Click here to Send Dallas a Private Message Visit Dallas's homepage! Find more posts by Dallas Add Dallas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dallas
CZ Founder

CurlingZone Cyber Attack

Hi folks! Welcome back...sort of!

Let me first say Thank You for your patience while we undergo massive changes after this month's Cyber Attack, which crippled the CurlingZone.com website as well as our network sites.

Note: If you aren't aware of what happened, check out this story from The Curling News' George Karrys, and also click here to read about a recent update and generous donation matching offer from our friends at Capital One.

As some of you out there accurately pointed out, we are forced to re-build the site which is a big effort and Gerry and I are working every spare moment to get the sections of the site re-built and back in service ASAP. Its going to take some time to get everything going again, but we'll be posting regular updates along the way as sections get completed.

The Good News out of this ordeal is that we've upgraded our servers and firewalls and have a much more robust backup system in place, which should prevent something like this from occuring in the future. In this day and age of the Internet, Cyber Crime is on a meteoric rise, and attacks like this are becomming more and more common. It makes it more difficult (and expensive) for community-based sites like ours that receive massive traffic but are largely volunteer-run. I guess we must have been doing something good to merit the attention of a Cyber Attacker.

Anyhoo...before the Attack, we had a new-look CurlingZone in the works which we had intended to launch at some point later in the season, and we figured that we may as well gear up and implement the new CZ look now, and add the new features we had planned for the site along the way. I think you'll enjoy the new look, as it gives more focus to the user experience, and ties in the different sections of the site nicely. As new sections get completed, links to each section will become visible in the Main site navigation.

The Bad News: Some folks that were active CurlingZone members (folks who registered in the last two years) will have to re-register, as user records were wiped out, along with Forum posts for the last two years. This will impact some of our heavy contributors to the forums, as many great posts over the past two years are lost...but we mustn't pine on the past, and we must look to future, and re-energize the discussion forums on the site! I'm sure some users are eager to get posting, and get those post counts back to where they were before!

For those folks that lost their Username in the Attack, please click here to Register your Username again. If you have any questions about your CZ Account, feel free to email me: dallas[AT]curlingzone.com

With all of the recovery and re-building efforts underway, we still are asking for your support. Every dollar you donate to the site directly helps us with our recovery/re-build effort as well as the higher costs associated with the new server hardware and firewall. Please use the PayPal donation button below to show your support and help CurlingZone remain active.

Thanks again folks! Gerry and I appreciate all the kind words from people across the curling world and we are so honoured to be part of an awesome curling community like CurlingZone!

Please Help Support CurlingZone

We had several requests to make donations to help fund the recovery effort for CurlingZone and have setup a donation button through PayPal to make this possible. We very much appreciate any help you're able to provide!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-11 08:43PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Well done Gerry and Dallas. Any support I can give financial or otherwise, you've got it! On a lighter note, it feels weird having more posts that Manitoba Legend...

JH

01-30-11 09:00PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
Well done Gerry and Dallas. Any support I can give financial or otherwise, you've got it! On a lighter note, it feels weird having more posts that Manitoba Legend...

JH

AND ya got Dino's avatar pic!

JH

01-31-11 07:38AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho

AND ya got Dino's avatar pic!

JH

Dino can't remember his password. And the e-mail address where the password will be re-sent does not exist anymore.
Remembering my password will mean trying to remember where my head was back in 2005. It will be hell. (Bong? Pineapple Express? Dave Parkes is a weenie? This could be trouble.)
I guess for the moment I will have to post as one of those anonomous unregistereds until I have a flashback.
This was my year to reach the magical 1000 post mark. Then I was gonna flame every one of ya, and disappear into the vast wasteland that is called the internet. (To maybe re-appear two or three times a year like the immortal Statman.) Looks like you're stuck with me for a couple of more years.
Truth being told, I missed you all and I am glad this site is back.
And Amber Holland over Lawton in the Sask. Scotties. Wow.

Dinorock 2005 (Maybe soon to be someone else.)

Hey Legend. That avatar could use a good shot of Penicillin.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.165.97.205

01-31-11 08:49AM
Viich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Viich Click here to Send Viich a Private Message Find more posts by Viich Add Viich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Viich
Harvey Hacksmasher

Gerry and Dallas:

Thanks for the hard work in getting the site back up.

Craig

01-31-11 08:56AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Post number one. Sighhhh!

01-31-11 09:28AM
Bauldic03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bauldic03 Click here to Send Bauldic03 a Private Message Find more posts by Bauldic03 Add Bauldic03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bauldic03
Swing Artist

Tks a bunch to Gerry and Dallas. All your hard work is very appreciated and curling wouldn't be the same without this site. And to everyone who donated to curling zone I applaud you as well because Gerry and Dallas needed some help and people stepped up. I wish I could have been part of the group but a poor student lik me could not afford it.

01-31-11 10:25AM
Adonis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adonis Click here to Send Adonis a Private Message Find more posts by Adonis Add Adonis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adonis
Hitting Paint

Thanks

Thanks Gerry & Dallas,
Even with the BDO running this weekend, Gerry was available to assist our event with any issues we were having, and was very easy to work with at all hours of the day.
Your attitudes have been so calming and optimistic through this entire process, you are both stand up guys!
We are lucky to have you two at the helm of this operation!
Thanks again,
Rob
Port Elgin Super Spiel!

01-31-11 10:54AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

The Lost Post

Slow and steady wins the race. I only lost about 200 posts... but Dino... I won't be racing you to 1000. No worries ML... I hear the bugle call for all of your lost post. We have the gist of it, they are still with us.

Thanks Dallas Gerry and all for the hard work. Cyber dessimation sometimes has a clensing feel. Slow and steady, to the last post. (paraphrase of Harry Lauder).

01-31-11 10:54AM
Dallas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dallas Click here to Send Dallas a Private Message Visit Dallas's homepage! Find more posts by Dallas Add Dallas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dallas
CZ Founder

Dino: email me and I'll help you reset your password.

If anyone needs any assistance with their account, I can be reached at: dallas[at]curlingzone.com.

01-31-11 12:09PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

So do you guys have any idea what the motive behind this cyber attack was, or was it just someone who likes trashing websites for no apparent reason?

EDIT: And I just noticed I'm back to a paltry 14 posts!! Oh well, I'll survive.

01-31-11 03:08PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

Great job getting the forums back up, I'm sure the new look Curlingzone will continue the growth of this invaluable piece of the curling world.

It's brutal how much work and info was lost, two whole years worth of data. If there's anything I can do to lend a hand, let me know.

The new design looks great, I can't wait to see the finished product.

On a positive note, at least I still have over 1000 posts!! :-)

01-31-11 04:28PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Viich
Gerry and Dallas:

Thanks for the hard work in getting the site back up.

Craig

At least you got your pic back. I can't access mine!

JH

01-31-11 04:30PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Dallas
Dino: email me and I'll help you reset your password.

If anyone needs any assistance with their account, I can be reached at: dallas[at]curlingzone.com.

I lost about 1500 of em! Oh well...time to get busy retyping!

JH

01-31-11 04:40PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

glad to have you back boys. Even you too Legend...

01-31-11 04:59PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Is there counselling for us? It's been really dramatic!

Welcome Back Everyone

01-31-11 05:14PM
Dallas
CZ Founder

Post Counts

While we couldn't recover the posts, Gerry was able to recover some of the last Post Count numbers from some of the site's more prolific users, so I've gone and updated many of your Post Counts to reflect those stats.

I hope that helps bring a bit of cheer back to some of our heavy posters!

01-31-11 08:29PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Re: Post Counts

quote:
Originally posted by Dallas
While we couldn't recover the posts, Gerry was able to recover some of the last Post Count numbers from some of the site's more prolific users, so I've gone and updated many of your Post Counts to reflect those stats.

I hope that helps bring a bit of cheer back to some of our heavy posters!

The hard work you and Gerry did in bringing this back up is cheer enough Dallas!

JH

01-31-11 08:42PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
statman

Congrats

On getting back online so quickly. We missed you

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.222.130.121

02-01-11 12:26PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

It just hit me why all this happened....

Our Korean hacker friend really wanted to end that Lady Gaga thread once and for all, and he needed to wipe out the last two years to make sure he got everything!!!

02-01-11 01:02PM
hatman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hatman Click here to Send hatman a Private Message Find more posts by hatman Add hatman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hatman
Hitting Paint

Yay, it's back! It's been difficult using google cache these last few weeks to get my stats fix. I would've donated more money if I had it, considering I use this site so much.

02-01-11 01:12PM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape
It just hit me why all this happened....

Our Korean hacker friend really wanted to end that Lady Gaga thread once and for all, and he needed to wipe out the last two years to make sure he got everything!!!

I have every word of that thread safely locked in my tiny little brain. Bwoohaahaa!

Come and get it you bastards. I dare ya!

(Although I have noticed that after Legend 'borrowed' my head the Kim Kardashian wing has gone missing. COINCIDENCE????)

Last edited by dinorock2005 on 02-01-11 at 01:18PM

02-01-11 04:47PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I think the posters here would like to know how much has been raised? We must banish the myth that curlers are cheap!

02-02-11 03:05PM
Duck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Click here to Send Duck a Private Message Find more posts by Duck Add Duck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duck
Swing Artist

Welcome back to all registered and unregistered users. Also a big hats off to Gerry and Dallas for their efforts.