Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-09-18 04:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the 4 loss teams are still alive. they need bottcher to lose both his games to epping and jacobs, which is definitely possible. then they need to win out. mcewen had a tough loss yesterday. combine that with not enough time to get over it and they came out flat against jacobs

but i trust they'll put yesterday behind them and come out knowing they aren't out yet .

the only team mathematically eliminated in the championship pool at this point is nova scotia.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-09-18 06:34PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

While McEwen & Reid aren't mathematically done - they may as well be. One of them might be able to slither into a tie-breaker for 4th spot - but I don't like either ones chances against any of the Top 3 or 4 teams at this event. Neither can stand up to Gushue, Jacobs, not even Botchcub or Johnny Ace.

Also, Manitoba plays McEwen tonight - so another loss for one of them.

03-09-18 06:50PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
too many posters on here appear to have more opinion than ability - or class

anyone who has ever played at a high level never uses the word choke or runs down a player or team over a bad shot or a couple of losses ..

quit posting like your a former champions - your anonymous -- doesnt mean you have to be classless..

they drag out this brier then give a team 2 hours between games - the whole system is designed to get multiple winners for tv

3 teams can still make the final 4 - the ones that dont , can easily win $100,000 in a slam next week

none of them should break up - no one posting on here could ever beat any of these teams - some of you wouldnt score in 100 end game

This brier topic should have 60,000 hits. - doubt that anyone needs to read the snarky stuff we get here

My opinion .

03-09-18 08:40PM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
the thing about brad is he's very passionate. i know a lot of guys are but brad is just really competitive. i've met him in person and he's such a nice guy. he's just one of those people who, when they get out there it's all the competition. when he gets frustrated it shows. the guys in front of him know that. if he was as bad as some people think there's no way anyone would put up with him for a significant period of time.

brad wants this badly. last night was just a bad reaction to a mistake.

Everybody out there is highly competitive.Which skip doesn't want it badly? He called out a team mate in front of everyone. This is not the first time he's done it. Gallant knows he made a mistake. He doesn't have to be centred out. Having played with many competitive skips, I've never had one do this to me. BTW, 99% are nice guys off the ice.

03-09-18 08:42PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by BMalc

Everybody out there is highly competitive.Which skip doesn't want it badly? He called out a team mate in front of everyone. This is not the first time he's done it. Gallant knows he made a mistake. He doesn't have to be centred out. Having played with many competitive skips, I've never had one do this to me. BTW, 99% are nice guys off the ice.

yeah, but in the heat of the moment people do make mistakes.

03-09-18 11:57PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
enjoyable win by botcher

would like to see new blood with epping v botcher final

seldom predict right thou !

classy.

03-10-18 07:51AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

John really gave brad all he could handle in that game. now they get the immediate re-match in the 1 v. 2 game. alberta v.s northern ontario in the 3.v s 4 game

i'm with fresca. i hope to see ontario v.s alberta final. unfortunately i'm still thinking it'll be canada v.s northern ontario or canada v.s somebody else but hopefully i'm wrong.

03-10-18 12:52PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Unless Gushue wins this year, the pool NL is in next year it will be the pool of death based on the poor seeding results that young Smith put up ( of course Brad may retire).
Smith needs to cool down his theatrics. Good entertainment when you are winning but no replacement for talent.

03-10-18 02:38PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Unless Gushue wins this year, the pool NL is in next year it will be the pool of death based on the poor seeding results that young Smith put up ( of course Brad may retire).
Smith needs to cool down his theatrics. Good entertainment when you are winning but no replacement for talent.

Fairly certain for the Brier and Scotties, next years pools are not based on this years results

03-10-18 04:43PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin

Fairly certain for the Brier and Scotties, next years pools are not based on this years results

Then why would they bother with that "placement" game for the teams 9-16?

03-10-18 05:33PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Brutal Bottcher and getting zero help from Moulding. Surprised the score is still close.

03-10-18 06:16PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Bottcher is really good. His team needs to provide better support, but wow, Bottcher really pulled out that quarterfinal on his own.

Also, Team Jacobs really botched the 10th end lead rocks. Not sure why they staggered two in the house. Big mistake.

03-10-18 06:29PM
sooner
Hitting Paint

ya his third was choking big time and he still won the game lol.

03-10-18 06:50PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

$$$ payouts and points towards the various Member Association cups awarded this summer

03-10-18 08:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

feel for brad. he had that one. just a touch lighter and he'd have made that one.

the match overall wasn't that great for me. were a couple picks and neither team really picked up on the spots in the ice.

feel like it was more about the mistakes other than the shots actually made

i feel like the chances of an alberta/canada final are pretty good. i'd like to see ontario win it but i'm not sue epping can beat this gushue in a final..or at all. i know alberta beat him in the round robin but that was quite easily the worst game canada has had all week and it was still close. not sure how alberta would fair if canada curled they way they have the rest of the way

having said that if you asked me who had the better shot at taking gushue down in the final i'd lean more to alberta. there's this quiet confidence to bottcher that actually reminds me of kevin martin in a way.

predicted podium:

gold - alberta
silver - canada
bronze - ontario

03-10-18 10:50PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

The teams 9-16 get money depending on their position so the lower you fini, the less you get.

03-11-18 03:46PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Just a reminder to the few posters that were adamant that the "burnt rock" rule meant, "burn and remove", without exception . Having watched every televised briar game, I've seen about six burnt rocks and they were all left in place or replaced. Since only a quarter of games are shown, assume there may have been about 25 burnt rocks without a removal. That is how the rule was intended to be interpreted .

03-11-18 03:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

and epping's out. i knew it. he had a great and somewhat unexpected showing here but it's over.

john was in a good position in this semi. controlled proceedings, ontario was all over alberta but bottcher kept them in it long enough for john to blink and he did, big time.

i don't really care who wins the final now. and to be honest i doubt i'll watch but good luck to both teams in the final

i need a little break.

03-11-18 06:26PM
sooner
Hitting Paint

The skip from Alberta has a lot of class.Hope he wins.

03-11-18 07:07PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

You noticed that did you, Ajay?
First fall back on a burnt rock is confession from the offending team that they burnt it.
Second fall back is NOT immediate removal - that some of the posting hacks yapped on about BUT
Option of the non-offending team to place the burnt rock or series of effected rocks in their rightful places (estimate, but fairness dictates fairness)

The Homan decision was a strict interpretation of "letter of the law".
Similar to a drunk or violently disturbed provincial court judge telling a 1st time Jay-Walker that he's giving them 6 months in the hoose-gow vs. a simple warning or small fine.
What Homan did was allowable - but against the spirit of the game!

Once again Legend is wrong. The strict interpretation he refers to is one of the options a non-offending team has. As such it is totally acceptable, within the spirit and intent of the rule and not unsportsmanlike.

What is unsportsmanlike are those who complain about any option the non-offending team makes. Especially if you're a player on the team that broke the rule.

Only curlers would think negatively about the non-offending team selecting an option completely fair and available to them under the rules. They also conveniently forget the reason for the current rule is to prevent teams from purposely burning stones when a miss was about to improve their opponents situation. Something that happened a lot more frequently than you think.

If a pro golfer breaks a rule and doesn't own up, they can be turned in by their playing partner. Does that make the other golfer unsportsmanlike for seeing that rules are adhered to? A football head coach often has a choice to accept or decline a penalty called against his opposition. Is he unsportsmanlike when he selects the option best for his team?

You may have the right to your opinion on what you might do in the situation. But you don't have the right to criticize or label any other teams choice if it's one clearly allowed under the rules.

Last edited by jamcan on 03-11-18 at 07:21PM

03-11-18 07:28PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Once again Legend is wrong. The strict interpretation he refers to is one of the options a non-offending team has. As such it is totally acceptable, within the spirit and intent of the rule and not unsportsmanlike.

What is unsportsmanlike are those who complain about any option the non-offending team makes. Especially if you're a player on the team that broke the rule.

Only curlers would think negatively about the non-offending team selecting an option completely fair and available to them under the rules. They also conveniently forget the reason for the current rule is to prevent teams from purposely burning stones when a miss was about to improve their opponents situation. Something that happened a lot more frequently than you think.

If a pro golfer breaks a rule and doesn't own up, they can be turned in by their playing partner. Does that make the other golfer unsportsmanlike for seeing that rules are adhered to? A football head coach often has a choice to accept or decline a penalty called against his opposition. Is he unsportsmanlike when he selects the option best for his team?

You may have the right to your opinion on what you might do in the situation. But you don't have the right to criticize or label any other teams choice if it's one clearly allowed under the rules.

Homan could have showed a little more class than just banging her broom on the rock and removing it. She could have conversed with the other skip, and within her right been much nicer about it.

I wonder if she has watched the replay and now knows that the rock she removed really did not move much at all...certainly not enough to make a difference.

But she was within her right - nicer is better.

03-11-18 07:43PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Homan could have showed a little more class than just banging her broom on the rock and removing it. She could have conversed with the other skip, and within her right been much nicer about it.

I wonder if she has watched the replay and now knows that the rock she removed really did not move much at all...certainly not enough to make a difference.

But she was within her right - nicer is better.

I saw exactly what happened and a ridiculous hullabaloo has been made about Homan moving the rock away with her broom.

Honestly people, she barely tapped the rock and then moved it out of play. You're all making it sound like she did a full on, overhead two-hander while cursing in Danish.

And she isn't required to be Miss Manners. She did not break the rule. She did not burn a running stone. She has the right, within the rules to select the option she wishes.

And as long as that decision is within the rules no one has the right to complain. And if you're the offending team and you whine about it, then you're unsportsmanlike.

03-11-18 07:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

John was in a bit over his head vs. the ferocious young wolf pack - the question tonite is whether Mr. Bottcher can return all the torment Mr. Gushue will be heaping upon him. If he does - he'll have a chance to win the Brier.

oh stop. john had full control of that game. ontario was all over alberta and bottcher was the only reason it was close through 5. john threw his last rock in 7 well but it just didn't curl. one end was the difference maker. if john makes that draw for 1 in 7..who knows how it ends up.

take your delusional glasses off and jump back into reality for a second

03-11-18 08:00PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Well Jamcan, nobody will obviously change your interpretation of the rule, however , I think I can safely say that 99% of the worlds best curlers would NOT have acted like Homan. But yes one out of a hundred will. I rest my case.

03-11-18 08:28PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

I saw exactly what happened and a ridiculous hullabaloo has been made about Homan moving the rock away with her broom.

Honestly people, she barely tapped the rock and then moved it out of play. You're all making it sound like she did a full on, overhead two-hander while cursing in Danish.

And she isn't required to be Miss Manners. She did not break the rule. She did not burn a running stone. She has the right, within the rules to select the option she wishes.

And as long as that decision is within the rules no one has the right to complain. And if you're the offending team and you whine about it, then you're unsportsmanlike.

never said she was wrong. I have watched it many times too,

She was representing Canada and could have acted with a bit of class.

But really, how badly was that rock burnt, did it move inches? Hardly noticed the movement.

anyway, I am not a Homan fan, but she certainly could have handled it better.

Yes, I said in my previous post it was her right, as the rules state. But has we have all seen, that rock hardly moved at all. I can bet 95% of skips would have left it there. Olympics or not.

No she did not have to be Miss Manners - but she sure didn't need to be Miss rude and arrogant.

and this is a Brier thread.

Last edited by CURLER1 on 03-11-18 at 08:32PM