Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-27-15 06:42PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Random Tuckisms

Check out the new dedicated Denver ice and their spiel this weekend. 32 teams. Rockin' it. Gimme team Hard Rocker Inturns as the longshot to win it. Rittgers broke the airplane trying to get out of Chicago, so he's dead. Guy Sholz returns to Colorado, but will find good ice and he has no idea what to do with that. Kizlyk has more important events on his mind. Ripe for an upset and Hard Rocker might get 'er done.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-02-15 03:48PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

And the winner of the first Mile High Open Bonspiel is Rock Harder & the Inturns.

Tuck must really know everyone

03-02-15 04:51PM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats to the champs and to all teams for a great weekend of curling. I was there this past weekend and was impressed with the facility and the event overall.

I really liked the spiel format (4 game guarantee, 3 round robin games, then seeded into A-D brackets).

03-02-15 06:01PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, I'll take a bow for that one. I do know (a little bit) Brett Davis. He skipped at Junior Nationals very long ago. On his team was Zach Jacobson, a young Joey Jaster and a very, very, very young Zane Jacobson (I think Zane was 11 years old).

Not to interrupt the "Tuck is a genius" dialogue (I have a wife, three kids, a mother, a father and three business partners who will all vow that I am NOT), but time for a Tuckism:

Get a fun group together and hit a spiel. The serious stuff is surely over by now. By "fun" group, curlers who are like-minded. 4 drunks...4 new curling addicts...4 hippies...whatever can connect you. If you can get women, hit a Mixed spiel. I've done lots of things over the years and I'm here to tell you, "Mixed curling is an absolute blast."

If your spieling days are over, help send a younger team. Pay the entry or get them together or suggest a spiel that befits their talent...whatever.

Bonspiels are what changes curlers into CURLERS. Most of our club volunteers are bonspielers. So are most of our skips. If you want curling to grow, get TV coverage. If you want the growth to last, get people spieling.

Herein endeth the sermon.

Ben Tucker
former bonspieler

03-02-15 06:57PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

quote:
Bonspiels are what changes curlers into CURLERS.

The man speaks truth

03-02-15 10:12PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

I'm working to create addicts in our club one 5 and under bonspiel at a time. They're checking out the calendars for the next event before we even make it back home.

03-02-15 10:39PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

Bonspiels are what changes curlers into CURLERS. Most of our club volunteers are bonspielers. So are most of our skips. If you want curling to grow, get TV coverage. If you want the growth to last, get people spieling.

Herein endeth the sermon.

Ben Tucker
former bonspieler

Amen, Tuck.

03-18-15 01:46PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Wausau Curling Club had this link on Facebook. It belongs here:

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2015/03/...xt-brad-gushue/

Interesting view on the relationship between growth and TV coverage. I'm beginning to fear that great TV coverage is beyond our grasp...and we'll need great coverage to spur exponential growth. The moral of the story may be: Be sure you're ready to capitalize on Olympic coverage every four years, whether it's to fill your existing club or drive towards new dedicated ice.

Ben Tucker

03-27-15 06:14PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I need a tax attorney or CPA to post here.

I see needs that I'd like to help in a small way. I'd like to see the historic and important Mankato club get the compressor fixed. I'd like see them running. I'd like to see Anchorage get ice mats so they can get back to curling. I'd like help Senior, Mixed Doubles and Mixed teams get to Worlds without draining the kids' college funds. I'd like to see more people play in those events and not hesitate because of the travel costs to Worlds.

Crowd fundraising seems to be the big thing these days. I think we can do better. So my question:

Can't we set up multiple "pass through" accounts in the USCA? Either with the USCA tax deductible status or with the appropriate status for each cause, can't we write some of this stuff off? Why should every team and club need to set up some fund and then struggle to get the word out? Isn't there a better way?

Ben Tucker

03-27-15 07:48PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

(Not an accountant, but I have worked with pass through donation for expense reimbursement account via another 501 org)

It is doable, if USCA has interest in it. Basically, they can set up a budget line item, call it "Minor World Team Travel Fund" or the like (there's probably a better name...), declare that said fund will consist of monies donated to it and will be spent only to reimburse legitimate travel expenses for World Teams, collect donations, and reimburse expenses.

The USCA could put money into said fund, if they wished and had the money available. 501c clubs could donate to it as a 01-501 transfer. Individuals could donate as well.

Someone would have to manage said fund and report to the USCA treasurer (or he/she could do the management themselves if they have the bandwidth). They'd also have to set up rules to determine what gets paid in the event income < donations, or what happens to the excess in the other case.

There are US IRS regulations regarding inurement that would need to be met (basically, you need to be really careful to insure that only legitimate expenses are reimbursed).

It is doable.

03-28-15 10:24AM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

There are such things as "restricted" donations to 501c3 organizations. However, I believe the restrictions only apply if you are solicited for donations for a specific purpose by an organization and the state that the money you are donating is only to be used for that purpose.

If you'd like to fundraise for these teams, I think there are three options:

- the USCA sets up a donation drive specifically to do so.
- someone else sets up a 501c3 to do so
- the teams use Kickstarter or some other fundraising site

The first two would probably be tax deductible, the third would not.

I'm also not a lawyer or an accountant and did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so grains of sand are appropriate here.

04-22-15 04:57PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Tomorrow night (Thursday, April 23) at 8 on CNN, Mike Rowe learns to curl. With a teaching staff of John Benton, Craig Brown, Steve Brown, Pat McDonald and others, Rowe has no excuse for failure.

Ben Tucker

04-22-15 07:20PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Some interesting fund raising ideas. Begs the question why the USCA has not already implemented any of these processes?

04-23-15 10:34PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Mike Rowe? OK
Craig Brown? Pretty good
Steve Brown? OK
Pat McDonald? Meh
Andie McDonald? STOLE THE SHOW!

Nice try, gentlemen. Next time don't go up against a 12 year old girl.

Ben Tucker

05-09-15 08:24AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Board of Directors meeting next weekend in Minneapolis. We'll have milage and hotel rooms to cover for the staff because we're headquartered in Steven's Point. I'm not sure how long that will continue.

Facing the Board soon will be the CEO Search Committee report. I don't know how they've been doing. I did hear that the first round of applicants didn't blow anybody's socks off, so they reopened the application process.

At that point, Dean Gemmell resigned from the Search Committee and the AAC so he could properly apply for the position. Much to my shock and dismay, Dean didn't make the final list for the long interviews. What??? Gemmell is as knowledgeable as anybody on the planet and seems like a nice guy. Maybe he didn't want to move to Steven's Point? I can't imagine him not making the final interviews unless they are swamped with great applicants.

I haven't heard, but I'm fairly certain that Rick will be among the final options for the Board. That's a good thing. Even though I disagree with many of the paths he has taken USA curling down of late, I know he's bright and works hard.

I think this will be an interesting meeting. It will be as transparent as a Swiss bank board meeting, but that's what we get when we have a board filled with people who aren't accustomed to being on boards where transparency is valued. Most of us live lives where discretion and even secrecy are valued. In this case, however, that only insults and excludes the stakeholders.

Ben Tucker

05-20-15 02:02PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

From what I hear, the webstream is in the budget for next year. That makes me very happy.

It also, however, begs for a comment on how we got here.

Last year, it fell to the budget ax. I understand that. Budgets are difficult bulls to ride. Priorities come into play and not everyone's priorities are the same and many different priorities are defensible.

Do Directors Gemmell and Flippo stood up and pledged to raise the money for the webcast. Many contributed...many did not. Some questioned the wisdom of contributing (and thus sending JHcurl into a fit). Their point was: If we fund this thing, the USCA will simply say that we should ask for contributions every year and never fund it. The objective of others was to prove the webcast's importance to us and put our money where our mouths are...then the USCA will know beyond doubt that it's important to us.

Mr. Gemmell and Mr. Flippo were right. My thanks to them. For those who doubted the wisdom: You were wrong on this one. That's OK. I've been wrong plenty of times. It's keeping a good discussion going that is really important.

Ben Tucker
(added Flippo to spellcheck...it asked if I was sure...I clicked YES...it asked if I was really sure because it doesn't look right...spellcheck should know that with the name of Bennet Tucker I don't make fun of other people's names)

06-07-15 10:38PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Hall of fame curler, Orville Gilleshammer, passed away on Friday at the age of 92.

Ben Tucker

06-08-15 10:46PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Orville Gilleshammer scored an 8-ender in 1961 USCA Mens Championship. Is that the only 8 at Nationals?

07-22-15 11:59AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The video of the pro surfer being attacked by a shark is all over the news and the internet. Riveting footage.

The most amazing part of the video to me is his friend/competitor swimming TOWARDS him to help. Now that guy is cool.

Ben Tucker

08-26-15 10:57PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dropkin/Anderson (aka Team Cute As Kittens) have made the Finals in the New Zealand Winter Games. This Mixed Doubles event has taken on some prestige since nations have jumped up to prepare for Olympic medal status.

Irregardless of one's view on Mixed Doubles, this is an impressive run by Team USA against some top competition. They won their quarterfinal 10 to 4 and their semifinal 10 to 3. In the finals they will meet Canada 1 (Charlie Thomas/Kalynn Park) whom the USA defeated in the round robin (avenging the big quarterfinal loss at Worlds last year).

Mixed Doubles, New Zealand and August curling all have one thing in common: they aren't on our radar. Still, it's a great thing.

Ben Tucker

08-27-15 03:08AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Tied up coming home, Canada gets the point with their hammer. Silver medals for team Cute As Kittens.

Well done.

Ben Tucker