Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-13-17 09:25AM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

brier and scotties

I saw on the sports that the PM tweeted congrats to Adam Hadwin on the PGA win. I am not on Twitter, but can someone confirm he tweeted congrats to the Scotties and Brier winners?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-13-17 09:28AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I certainly hope so...I guess the weather gave our PM an excuse not to attend the final.

I will check twitter...his disdain for curling is horrible.

As someone noted when Brad Gushue made the Olympic Final, NL gave public servants and schoolchildren the day off.

When Brad Jacobs won Olympic gold...barely a mention by old Mother Wynne.

03-13-17 09:33AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i can confirm that he did not.

03-13-17 09:40AM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

I don't get it, why wouldn't he? How long does it take to send a tweet out? Both the Scotties and Brier finals were very exciting this year.

03-13-17 09:52AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

id like to defend him here and say he has a lot to pay attention to and more important matters to worry about but then i see him tweeting out congratulations to the cwhl's clarkson cup champions or to canadians who won oscars or grammys or welcoming claude julien back to the bench of montreal canadiens..

so yeah , he could have taken a second to acknowledge these wins

03-14-17 03:05PM
ott-am
Swing Artist

Has the PM posted anything yet? Does he only recognize Canadians who accomplish something in Trump land? First he does not appear at either the Scotties or Brier, then he does not even have one minute to tweet something out? Does the PM even know curling exists? Very poor on his part.

03-14-17 05:37PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am
Has the PM posted anything yet? Does he only recognize Canadians who accomplish something in Trump land? First he does not appear at either the Scotties or Brier, then he does not even have one minute to tweet something out? Does the PM even know curling exists? Very poor on his part.
Our P.M. is an asshat. enough said.

03-15-17 12:45PM
ott-am
Swing Artist

I would not go that far, but the Brier and Scotties are true national Canadian events that should be recognized by the sitting PM of the day.

Some people have referred to refugees here. I for one am in favour of integrating new Canadians when they come into the country. Over one hundred years ago, the west was populated by immigrants from eastern and northern Europe. One of the things that eased their integration to Canada was curling. I hope the PM has a good appreciation of the role of curling in the assistance of helping new Canadians with the language and culture of their new country.

Curling is inexpensive, non violent and social. My question is, how is the PM promoting curling among new Canadians, particularly Syrians. Has he spoken to Syrian groups about the benefits of curling? Has he (or the Immigration Minister), contacted the CCA, provincial associations, or individual curling clubs to encourage new Canadians to join learn to curl leagues?

I assume the PM has a good understanding of Canadian history and the role curling has played in the past and can play in the future to enhance proper integration to Canada. So, I assume he is doing some of the things I have suggested.

03-15-17 01:21PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I would not go that far, but the Brier and Scotties are true national Canadian events that should be recognized by the sitting PM of the day.

Some people have referred to refugees here. I for one am in favour of integrating new Canadians when they come into the country. Over one hundred years ago, the west was populated by immigrants from eastern and northern Europe. One of the things that eased their integration to Canada was curling. I hope the PM has a good appreciation of the role of curling in the assistance of helping new Canadians with the language and culture of their new country.

Curling is inexpensive, non violent and social. My question is, how is the PM promoting curling among new Canadians, particularly Syrians. Has he spoken to Syrian groups about the benefits of curling? Has he (or the Immigration Minister), contacted the CCA, provincial associations, or individual curling clubs to encourage new Canadians to join learn to curl leagues?

I assume the PM has a good understanding of Canadian history and the role curling has played in the past and can play in the future to enhance proper integration to Canada. So, I assume he is doing some of the things I have suggested.

You're correct , it should be recognized. If our p.m. wasn't so ignorant.
I'm in favour of legal immigrants, not the ones that have crossed the border illegally without background checks whatsoever. Our gov't should take care of the existing Canadians , then worry about ALLOWING immigrants in.
Curling is very low on the p.m.'s list of priorities. Giving money to other countries is much more important.

Your assumptions are most likely wrong.

03-15-17 01:55PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

He would only show up if another important figure was there (i.e. the Queen or a major celebrity). His office is rather ignorant of what is happening IMO.

As for refugees...don't wait for the PM to suggest it, clubs should reach out to those groups that assist them and offer learn to curl sessions. As there are separate leagues for men and women, it is ideal for many groups.

My personal trainer referred to curling as a white person's sport...I couldn't really argue as we were looking at the brier which was being shown on the gym's TV. Curling needs to dispel this myth and hopefully in a decade we will have more then white people curling at the Elite level.

03-15-17 02:33PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

I do believe Stephen Harper, as PM, attended quite a few Briars and/or STOHs.

03-15-17 03:49PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
I do believe Stephen Harper, as PM, attended quite a few Briars and/or STOHs.

He really loved curling - he attended as many Briars as he could.

03-15-17 05:12PM
ott-am
Swing Artist

I don't want to make this political, as I have seen Harper at the entire Scotties final in Montreal, but the former Liberal MP and mayor of Montreal, Denis Coderre also attended the event.

I agree with CB, curling is not diverse enough. But I also think a Canadian Prime Minister should recognize the most Canadian of sporting events, the Brier and the Scotties. If he is too busy or bored to attend, at least let him spend 30-40 seconds to put out the tweets that he does for less Canadian activities.

03-15-17 08:32PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

He make a statement at the Grey Cup. Everyone just booed the whole time.

In these matters a PM is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

So people had perhaps best not give a damn whether the PM does or doesn't.

Last edited by ngm on 03-15-17 at 08:50PM

03-16-17 03:24AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Some of you actually take Twitter seriously, and believe that genuine feelings like sincere congratulations can be expressed through 'tweets'?
Really?
And from politicians, on top of that?
Honestly??

Wake up, people.
Any such 'tweets' are done for one reason, and one reason only - public relations. You know - marketing. Selling the product (in this case, the Federal Liberal party).
It's meaningless, self-serving fluff. Nothing sincere or genuine about it.

As 'ngm' wrote "people had perhaps best not give a damn whether the PM does or doesn't".

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-16-17 at 04:06AM

03-16-17 12:21PM
ott-am
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
Some of you actually take Twitter seriously, and believe that genuine feelings like sincere congratulations can be expressed through 'tweets'?
Really?
And from politicians, on top of that?
Honestly??

Wake up, people.
Any such 'tweets' are done for one reason, and one reason only - public relations. You know - marketing. Selling the product (in this case, the Federal Liberal party).
It's meaningless, self-serving fluff. Nothing sincere or genuine about it.

As 'ngm' wrote "people had perhaps best not give a damn whether the PM does or doesn't".

I don't care if it is Twitter, an email, a phone call or as Harper did, invite them to his office, the PM should acknowledge the Brier and Scotties winners.

03-16-17 03:09PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I don't care if it is Twitter, an email, a phone call or as Harper did, invite them to his office, the PM should acknowledge the Brier and Scotties winners.

I agree, I believe Jean Chretien also made an effort to acknowledge them as well.

While Jones got recognition in MB for her Olympic gold win, I think Team Jacobs got minimal recognition except from the local area. Should Team Homan win the Olympics or Worlds, better warn them not to expect much from the Feds or the Province.

03-16-17 10:47PM
ott-am
Swing Artist

I don't think they care either way. As a curler though, I am disappointed in the PM.

03-16-17 11:10PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I don't think they care either way. As a curler though, I am disappointed in the PM.

As a CANADIAN, I'm disappointed in the P.M.

03-17-17 12:09AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

If the PM cared, he would have acknowledged the Scotties and Brier victors.
So... obviously, he doesn't care - which is perfectly his right. Should he care? No - not any more than you or I 'should' care about the lacrosse champions. One cannot demand that someone care, or demand that certain things be important to someone. Caring and acknowledgment is only meaningful if it is sincere.
As Trudeau obviously doesn't care about curling, any acknowledgment would be completely artificial and insincere.

It's sad that some of you are demanding that he acknowledge the Scotties and Brier winners, whether he truly cares or not. To you, it would be wonderful if he gave a completely phony and insincere 'caring' and acknowledgment.
Jeez - elevate your standards.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-17-17 at 04:26AM