Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-03-16 09:38PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Big disadvantage for Harris after tonight. Loses the head to head tiebreaker with both Howard and Epping now. Epping's one loss wont matter at all if he beats Howard and runs the table.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-03-16 10:42PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Give Higgsy his due. They had a helluva day. Beating Epping and Balsdon to go from 2-3 to 4-3. And with the tie breaker on Balsdon.

Today was 'moving day' in golf parlance and Higgs and Howard took full advantage while Epping stayed in touch. At this point for sure 7-3 gets you in the playoffs. And 6-4 very likely gets you into a tie breaker for fourth.

02-04-16 07:15AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I met Jon Meade at the Howard curling camp. What he said about one of the few times when they won MB and Howard didn't win ON was......."Woowoo!"

Yes Epping is up and coming. Yes they've had by far the better season. That said. If you gotta choose between the guy who has never been there and the guy who has made 11 finals in 15 tries I gotta think the choice is obvious.

Um. Eppings team went 9-1 last year and lost the final to a meteoric Kean Team. Mark shot lights out. They have played in every grand slam the last two years, had a great final at the Canadian Open, played a whopper of a semi-final against Koe at the Canada Cup. Just because they haven't been to a brier doesn't mean they don't have big game experience. Arguably the Canada Cup, a harder field, with a bigger reward, was a much harder test for them. So no, they have not "never been there."

Epping ran into some bad luck yesterday afternoon and a smoking hot McLean. They turned around and stomped on Harris getting right back to their steal game. They didn't bat an eye at Bice or Balsdon the other day either. They will be Glenn's first REAL competition. These teams are gonna finish one/two and my money are on the guys that are playing amazing curling right now, who are Grand Slam champions this year and are fifth on the CRTS and eigth in the world. One hiccup doesn't end someones chances.

02-04-16 07:36AM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

Well said SooCurler

02-04-16 08:39AM
JB42
Drawmaster

I'm pretty sure that you are going to get no argument that the Canada Cup field is a better field than the one here. You certainly won't from me. I have been at the forefront here at CZ for a number of years arguing that the Slams are by far THE hardest competition in curling. And, well, Glenn has got 14 of those.

And, again, as I said. Epping is for sure having the better year....so far...it's far from over. In addition at the start of the competition I put him as the favourite. No need to bristle Soo Curler. I was simply relaying something amusing that I heard directly from Jon Meade is all. As for the rest, who would want to play who, it's purely speculation for the sake of entertainment.

02-04-16 08:54AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

think its pretty safe to assume its going to come down to howard or epping.picking one isnt implying anything negative toward the other one.

i myself have made it clear id like to see john finally win but wouldnt be surprised if glenn did. either one will make a great rep for ontario and have a shot at winning the brier.

02-04-16 09:28AM
JB42
Drawmaster

I was looking at the streaming schedule....tell me dear god that they are going to show the Howard v Epping match. What they have listed for Draw 9 is Frans v Ferris. Nothing against those teams of course, but surely when they drew up the schedule they could project which Draw 9 match would matter most. Seems about the easiest TV call in history.

02-04-16 09:38AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I was looking at the streaming schedule....tell me dear god that they are going to show the Howard v Epping match. What they have listed for Draw 9 is Frans v Ferris. Nothing against those teams of course, but surely when they drew up the schedule they could project which Draw 9 match would matter most. Seems about the easiest TV call in history.

I'm with Cogeco and it seems that Cogeco in collaboration with Rogers will be showing a hockey game tonight instead of the curling I've been enjoying this week. I'm so disappointed. Was so looking forward to that game.

02-04-16 09:39AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

well, im guessing that what they are thinking is that howard v.s epping is going to be seen 3 times. in the round robin, probably in the 1 v.s 2 game and then very possibly again in the final.

so maybe they think its okay to miss that round robin game. of course..they could always change their minds

02-04-16 09:49AM
JuniorSuperspiel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JuniorSuperspiel Click here to Send JuniorSuperspiel a Private Message Find more posts by JuniorSuperspiel Add JuniorSuperspiel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JuniorSuperspiel
Knee-Slider

In case you haven't noticed the featured game is always on Sheet C. I don't think they have the ability to cover a different sheet, as evidenced by the fact once the featured games have finished they haven't been able to show the completion of the other games.

Therefore, don't get your hopes up for Epping-Howard tonight!

02-04-16 01:48PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Sure maybe they can't swing their camera's over to another sheet. Though I'm unclear as to how that could be an insuperable barrier. That notwithstanding my point is that surely in advance they should have projected that the Howard v Epping match was the one that should be on the camera sheet.

02-04-16 03:54PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well..it looks like epping has finally come down. losing to deruelle now. if he cant come back he should be 5-3 by the end of the day. then not easy game tomorrow. its going to be a rough finish

they may have peaked to soon

02-04-16 03:58PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Who took Middaugh's place with Glen Howard? I read it was possible it could be a sub rotation provided by the Province?

02-04-16 04:08PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Adam Spencer is playing second Rich Hart moved back to Vice.

Spencer played with Team Howard at the beginning of the year in a couple of WCT events and one Slam while Wayne was still at work.

02-04-16 04:16PM
JB42
Drawmaster

The Tankard as both Epping and Howard can tell you are all about the playoffs.

Glen lost his last final to Balsdon and Epping last year's final to Kean.

So as long as Epping makes the playoffs it is all still up for grabs.

What Team Howard and Team Epping were gunning for is last rock throughout the playoffs. In the four rock rule having the hammer in the first end is a much bigger advantage than it might seem at first glance, the stats bear this out.

Getting a 2 point lead early has been the biggest part of both Team Howard and Team Martin's massive success over the years.

Glenn went something like 73-4 and Kevin 123-2 or something close to as nutso as that when scoring a deuce in the first end.

02-04-16 04:40PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

My rogers guide is showing- Frans vs Ferris. When I asked Stephen Chenier- oca exec director during the Ontario scotties why the camera couldn't move when a game finished early- he indicated that the overhead camera is fixed and that Rogers lost $ on the event and therefore we shouldn't make waves.
Teams draw for numbers prior to event and sheets are never changed. ( maybe )

02-04-16 05:10PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Will there be a geek in Brampton tonight to cover the Howard - Epping match?

02-04-16 05:14PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

pretty important come from behind win for epping there. first place is still possible

just saw the shot john made for the win. great shot. this team has produced at least 5 of the top 10 shots of the season

Last edited by misty1 on 02-04-16 at 05:31PM

02-04-16 05:38PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Huge boost for them going into tonight's game. A loss there would have been a major downer, knowing it was out of their hands. Now they still control their own destiny.

Bell TV doesn't carry the Tankard so I haven't had a chance to see any games.

In this day and age you'd think you could stream it on the interweb, but I haven't found any way that makes that possible if you aren't a Rogers customer.

In any case first place is a biggie as the big boys know so tonight's a huge game.

02-04-16 09:38PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Final, seven to three for Howard.

02-04-16 10:25PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Former Brier runner-up Frans is on a roll of late. The team picked a good time to get hot. An interesting race to the finish of the RR to be sure.

02-05-16 08:04AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

john still not guaranteed 2nd with balsdon still on 2 losses. i dont know..its hard to see past howard now.looking just to strong. we'll see though.

02-05-16 08:58AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
john still not guaranteed 2nd with balsdon still on 2 losses. i dont know..its hard to see past howard now.looking just to strong. we'll see though.

The game last night was tight until the 9th. I don't know what happened but knowing John he gambled to either try for the steal or force Howard to one. Instead he gave up 3 and game over.

Epping has a fairly clean road through the end of round robin, Frans and Tuck. I don't expect them to finish lower than 2nd. At this point the question is likely will Glenn be able to beat Epping 3 times in the tankard. When two teams are close its difficult to win multiple games in a row.

02-05-16 09:13AM
JB42
Drawmaster

Nothing is decided yet.

Team Howard can theoretically still finish third.

I.e. Howard, Epping, Balsdon, all 8-2. They have the merry-go-round head to head so it goes to the draw to the button numbers. No idea what they are but it's possible Howard's is third best among these three.

Of course if they win one of their last two then they go through in first place.

As to beating Epping three times they don't necessarily have to.

For one Epping is not guaranteed second. For another even if the Page 1 v 2 is Howard v Epping, Howard can lose that one and still play and win the final.

Finally. Having won that game should not be looked at as bad for Howard as in, "Now he has to beat Epping three times in a row." After all everyone is trying to finish first for a reason. And that reason is last rock.

So instead the thinking should be, "Team Howard now has a meaningful advantage. Can Epping beat Howard in the Page 1 and the CF without last rock?" And the answer is of course yes he can. It's just going to be harder now.

02-05-16 09:25AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by SooCurler

The game last night was tight until the 9th. I don't know what happened but knowing John he gambled to either try for the steal or force Howard to one. Instead he gave up 3 and game over.

Epping has a fairly clean road through the end of round robin, Frans and Tuck. I don't expect them to finish lower than 2nd. At this point the question is likely will Glenn be able to beat Epping 3 times in the tankard. When two teams are close its difficult to win multiple games in a row.

i think he could. there are 2 questions for me

1. if epping loses to howard in a presume 1 v.s 2 game could he then bounce back mentally and win the semi final and then beat howard in a final?. its hard to beat someone you've lost to twice in an event

2. if john does get into the 1 v.s 2 game and beat glenn could he beat him a 2nd time in the final. its hard enough beating glenn once,let alone twice in the same event. if john won the page game he'd have hammer in the final so he'd have a measure of control to start.ideally you want the bye to the final but the task is to beat glenn twice in a row.

its not guaranteed john finished 2nd. if balsdon wins out and he loses to frans or tuck he finishes 3rd.

quite honestly i would back glenn to beat john 3 times before i would back john to beat glenn 2 times. glenn already had the mental edge in the match upcoming in and now he just made it more

has john ever actually beaten glenn in a provincial championship anyway? i think its like mike/jeff.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-05-16 at 09:29AM