Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-16-17 10:17PM
averagecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for averagecurler Click here to Send averagecurler a Private Message Find more posts by averagecurler Add averagecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
averagecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
From my pov, it looks like Corey and Sarah have a lot different opinions on shots called. I dont think they hate each other, but more that they clearly have different plans, and either Corey is asking for too much input, or Sarah is providing too much input.things up to the elite level.

If I recall correctly Sarah and Corey each skipped their own teams for many years in juniors before being put together.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-17-17 08:10AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

However, if he wins the Page 1v2 game, the Final is single elimination...regardless of if his opponent is a team he's beaten twice already in this tournament (as they would certainly be under this scenario)

It's far from certain that Shuster, if he wins the Page 1v2 game, would face a team he's beaten twice already in this tournament. That would only be the case if Clark then wins the semifinal, which I'm certain both Birr and Brown would argue is not a certainty.

02-17-17 09:43AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by averagecurler

If I recall correctly Sarah and Corey each skipped their own teams for many years in juniors before being put together.

That is true, but skipping their own junior team was not what I Think leads to veteran experience. I know this is not true, but I was wondering if Sarah ever played lead for someone like Erika or Cassie. I believe that what is going on with Korey Dropkin is a better developmental path. He was a successful junior skip, but not is playing second for a very veteran and successful skip in McCormick. He can gain experience on how veterans run a team. Sure the Christensen team have a coach to help, but its the in play things that are only learned through experience and knowledge that I worry they are missing.

02-17-17 10:23AM
BumperUp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BumperUp Find more posts by BumperUp Add BumperUp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BumperUp
Harvey Hacksmasher

I agree with you that getting experience with a veteran skip can really help players develop right out of juniors. Every great curler I can think of went down that road. However, neither of the names you mentioned are part of the HPP, and most of the women in the HPP were junior skips before they entered the program.

There are far fewer players on the women's side and the creation of the HPP seems to have caused more veteran women players to leave the game, probably because winning nationals no longer gets you to worlds. You need veteran skips to play if they are going to mentor younger players. That just isn't happening, and they aren't joining the HPP. I'm glad to see Cassie's team back on the ice, and I would love to see them win even if it doesn't get them to worlds.

02-17-17 10:47AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Back in 2013 The standings at Junior Nationals were:

Christensen 8-1
Solheim 7-2
S. Anderson 7-2
Haag 7-2

Christensen beat Solheim in the 1-2, Haag beat Anderson in the 3-4, Solheim beat Haag in the semi and defeated Christensen to win it.

This 8-7 loss prevented Christensen from winning 5 straight as she had won the year before and three after this, the last 2 with Sarah Anderson at vice. Last year they won the Silver at Worlds.

This team may have had some issues this week, but I truly believe they will be the team of the near future, maybe 2018.

02-17-17 02:58PM
FrenchToastGuy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchToastGuy Click here to Send FrenchToastGuy a Private Message Find more posts by FrenchToastGuy Add FrenchToastGuy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FrenchToastGuy
Knee-Slider

I don't care for this play down system. The women's side is determined entirely by Cassie, who can't go to worlds. Something's screwed up when our playdown system is off-the-ice eliminating players like Cassie and Pete before a playoff rock is thrown. I thought the idea was to stop a club team from going to worlds, in practice its elimatating our best players.

And it's a joke that Clark isn't funded. He's already won 2 nationals, you can't say he's not a top 3 team.

02-17-17 04:05PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by FrenchToastGuy
I don't care for this play down system. The women's side is determined entirely by Cassie, who can't go to worlds. Something's screwed up when our playdown system is off-the-ice eliminating players like Cassie and Pete before a playoff rock is thrown.

The US process to become team USA for worlds is a season long qualifier rather than a single event

02-18-17 09:58AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so with birr winning the semi i assume this means shuster goes to worlds.

what about the women. is it a winner goes to worlds situation or has roth already got there?

02-18-17 10:12AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
so with birr winning the semi i assume this means shuster goes to worlds.

what about the women. is it a winner goes to worlds situation or has roth already got there?

Roth already has the berth, same as Shuster.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

02-18-17 10:54AM
Holtie22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Holtie22 Click here to Send Holtie22 a Private Message Find more posts by Holtie22 Add Holtie22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Holtie22
Knee-Slider

So what is the point of playing today's games? Do we really want to send a team to World's that may not be the "National Champion"? The finals are meaningless.

02-18-17 11:10AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

The CF games are still on??

02-18-17 11:35AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
The CF games are still on??

Need to know who is going to the life changing Champions Cup....just what kids dream about as they start out as Little Rockers.

02-18-17 11:41AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

Roth already has the berth, same as Shuster.

thanks.

well that sucks then. was hoping for some finals that had that on the line

02-18-17 12:02PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I sincerely hope that the teams are "keeping their eyes on the prize". I think that maybe we curling fans should keep our eyes on prize as well.

The prize? It's NOT going to Worlds. That's old thinking. The prize...the only prize these days...is a berth at the Olympic Trials. Getting to the Olympics is everything in today's curling.

So Birr has a ton to play for today. Being outside the HPP, their only hope of getting an invite to Omaha is to win gold. How big was yesterday's loss for Brady? To quote President Trump, "Huge!" Brady could have locked a spot in Omaha if he did back-to-back gold or even back-to-back Finals. Will back-to-back medals get them an invite? Depends on how Birr does today and early next year.

Ben Tucker

02-18-17 01:45PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I sincerely hope that the teams are "keeping their eyes on the prize". I think that maybe we curling fans should keep our eyes on prize as well.

The prize? It's NOT going to Worlds. That's old thinking. The prize...the only prize these days...is a berth at the Olympic Trials. Getting to the Olympics is everything in today's curling.

So Birr has a ton to play for today. Being outside the HPP, their only hope of getting an invite to Omaha is to win gold. How big was yesterday's loss for Brady? To quote President Trump, "Huge!" Brady could have locked a spot in Omaha if he did back-to-back gold or even back-to-back Finals. Will back-to-back medals get them an invite? Depends on how Birr does today and early next year.

Ben Tucker

you are right in that there's something to play for.

but i would have just liked to see finals that wouyl,d have determined the world rep, not have had the world rep decided going in.

02-18-17 06:22PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

USA curling SUCKS! Why even have a competition?? What a bunch of no brains

02-18-17 11:08PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

I'm guessing Debbie McCormick and Pottinger are retired?

02-19-17 12:31AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

So Sinclair beats Roth in the round robin and then again in the finals. Anybody who thinks that Curling USA has created a good system to identify their best representative to send to the World's is mistaken.

Forget about the curlers and think about the fans. If you want to grow the game fan engagement is important. How many casual fans would even watch a meaningless final (sorry Tuck, you can spin it any way you want but that's what they were to everybody except die-hard fans.) No television network would ever put up with this.

02-19-17 01:16AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

You are right, Three. I can "spin" that the Finals were important (especially for the non-HPP Birr team) when it comes to the most important goal...a spot in the Olympic Trials. I cannot, however, spin away my dislike for the system. I have loudly and vigorously argued against this system since its inception.

At the beginning of this very forum thread, I predicted that Sinclair would beat Roth in the Final, but (due to less points) Roth would go to Worlds. This lead in points came when Roth cashed in Switzerland while Sinclair was playing for no points in the Continental Cup. I also predicted that such an outcome would begin an in depth discussion of how points are allotted and how we designate our World teams.

Ben Tucker

02-19-17 08:44AM
nomadicsweeper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nomadicsweeper Click here to Send nomadicsweeper a Private Message Find more posts by nomadicsweeper Add nomadicsweeper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nomadicsweeper
Knee-Slider

then perhaps it would be best if mccormick did not get an invite to the olympic trials. he certainly didn't earn it at nationals.... and his rink has much to learn about how to handle losses. hats off to all the teams that made the playoffs...true sportsmen and sportswomen.

Last edited by nomadicsweeper on 02-19-17 at 08:48AM

02-19-17 09:34AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Two of the top three mens teams are non-HPP teams.

I'm still failing to see a significant difference between teams which are funded and showered with opportunities to go here, there, and the like, and teams which are not, especially at the US Nationals, year after year.

"But this has forced non-HPP teams to play more, and so they have improved" is the only excuse... reason... offered.

Seems there could be a better use of funds...

02-19-17 09:49AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'll start a Nationals Fallout thread to continue the discussion. This thread is getting unwieldy is its broad and growing areas of insights. Then this thread can go back to its basics; congratulating the winners and the hosts and patting Tuck on the back (Biterbar?).

I would like to add, however, that my humble opinion is that Heater McCormick is true curling talent in his unique way. I can't explain exactly how the HPP has failed to bring out the best in Heath. I have some theories, but that's all.

Ben Tucker