Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Recommendations for curling shoes

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-21-13 11:04PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Recommendations for curling shoes

Looking for a new pair of curling shoes. Size 11 with wide width. Club curling. Recommendations?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-22-13 09:26AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

If you're going to play a lot of games I would suggest buying the thickest slider you can afford (usually on more expensive shoes). The reason being as you improve, you'll want a better shoe, so rather than "upgrade" I would bite the bullet and go higher end. I made the mistake of buying an entry level shoe, upgraded to a "midrange" shoe and now I want a higher end shoe. By the way I have had good experience with Goldline, currently wear their podium bronze. I know you can get thicker sliders put on, but, I think just buying a shoe with the thicker slider makes sense.

09-22-13 10:02AM
icemnnjack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icemnnjack Find more posts by icemnnjack Add icemnnjack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icemnnjack
Harvey Hacksmasher

get a good pair of skateboard shoes and have them made into curling shoes, better quality probably cheeper and you can pick and try on many different kinds, colors, email kustomkicx@outlook.com

09-22-13 01:17PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

One question is how often do you curl?

I have used several shoe makes but keep going back to Balance Plus. I don't know how many games I would curl in a year but I curl 3 to 5 games a week plus go to spiels and practice at least once a week.

I am very hard on shoes as well so I get 2 to 3 years out of a pair max!

I like the Balance Plus 500's because the slider is changeable. Having said that, with the very fast ice in clubs I use mainly the 3/16 slider with twin holes. I do have the 1/4 inch but really do not see that much difference between the 3/16 and the 1/4.

I tried the Balance Plus Deluxe but it has a large toe overhang that could catch the hack in my delivery so I just did not like the feel of it.

09-22-13 06:37PM
curler bill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler bill Click here to Send curler bill a Private Message Find more posts by curler bill Add curler bill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler bill
Harvey Hacksmasher

As with any purchase you will get what you pay for!

If you want to play well or learn to play well - buy a quality shoe.

Balance Plus Delux
Balance Plus 500
Goldline Podium

Invest in a shoe that fits your foot properly. Go to a location with ice and try them - have a slide!

Bill

Duck Curling Services
Ottawa Hunt & Golf Club

09-23-13 04:38PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agree with curler bill that Balance Plus or Goldline is the way to go, and for God's sake try them on.

Each fits differently and it depends on your foot (wide? narrow? high instep? bunions?). I wear Podiums, and I've always worn Goldline shoes simply because Balance Plus hurts my feet like hell -- I even tried on a friend's pair who is my size and they were broken in too! So this is one case where your mileage may *definitely* vary.

09-23-13 07:30PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
One question is how often do you curl?

I curl once a week.

09-23-13 07:39PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Support your club's shop, if you have one, and any good in house shop will let you go out on the ice and try them out

09-24-13 08:05AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Tim, if you are going to the Continental Cup in Las Vegas then Brooms Up is planning to be there. They won't be at the venue but at the ice rink where the club curls. At least that is the current plan.

JH

09-24-13 07:21PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

I'm hoping to attend the CC, but with the expected costs of my health insurance (going up due to ACA), I'm not sure now.

09-24-13 09:12PM
nickingrandcach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickingrandcach Click here to Send nickingrandcach a Private Message Find more posts by nickingrandcach Add nickingrandcach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickingrandcach
Hitting Paint

ashams, 30 -40 hours a week well working on ice and curling. I will get one or two years out of them.
nick, no longer in grande cache

09-24-13 10:31PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I wear the asham ultra lite slam shoe with the rotator disks....1/4 inches. I curl twice a week and the occasional weekend spiel. I love them!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.146.173.230

09-25-13 02:35PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Once a week club curler... I'd suggest either:

Balance Plus 200, or the 400/500 series
Goldline Podium Bronze or G-Force
Olson Ole

They're all reasonably priced and should last (I haven't heard complaints from anyone wearing any of those shoes). But absolutely try them on first!

Of the lot I've suggested, the BP 400 series allows you to have removable sliders that you can change if you want something quicker or slower. But they are a bit more expensive than the others.

I wouldn't recommend the Asham's (even though I wear them) mostly because of the cost. I love mine, but they ain't cheap.

And there is always the options of customizing a pair of skateboard or other type of shoes that you find comfortable, and turn them into curling shoes. Most of the curling shoe companies out there can do this, and your local club might be able to recommend a local shoemaker who can do it as well.

Hope that helps...

09-26-13 10:37AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Curling only once a week as others have said...any mid range shoe will give you good wear and performance.

My wife curls about 4-5 times a week, plus spiels and she likes the fit (fit is the most important thing) of the Balance Plus 200 with the thick slider. She gets 5 years out of a pair.

Certainly try on the shoes and if possible do a slide. Be mind full of the hack foot as well as the slider. Make sure for your slide that the toe in the hack feels right. Some shoes have a longer toe overhang and for me (size 10.5...6'2") that is a problem.

Curling shoes are one of those things that will last 8 to 10 years so it's worth the extra time to get the right feel and fit.

09-26-13 12:53PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I use the Ashams with the discs. Really like them and they were on sale, so reasonable. Curl twice a week plus odd spiel or playdown.

09-30-13 04:16PM
skipman

Go to this link and answer the questions then get back to me. I will narrow your choice to 1 to 3 models of shoes.
http://hoglinecurling.com/joes-blog...s-right-for-you

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.246.114.207

10-07-13 01:18PM
emotionalMATT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for emotionalMATT Click here to Send emotionalMATT a Private Message Find more posts by emotionalMATT Add emotionalMATT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
emotionalMATT
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Curling only once a week as others have said...any mid range shoe will give you good wear and performance.

My wife curls about 4-5 times a week, plus spiels and she likes the fit (fit is the most important thing) of the Balance Plus 200 with the thick slider. She gets 5 years out of a pair.

Certainly try on the shoes and if possible do a slide. Be mind full of the hack foot as well as the slider. Make sure for your slide that the toe in the hack feels right. Some shoes have a longer toe overhang and for me (size 10.5...6'2") that is a problem.

Curling shoes are one of those things that will last 8 to 10 years so it's worth the extra time to get the right feel and fit.

Omg yes those are so comfortable

WHEN I DIE, BURY ME INSIDE THE CURLING STORE

10-07-13 07:29PM
Unregistered

I am looking for curling shoes in Montreal. I found only one store which sells curling shoes and has limited variety. Is there any other place I can go in Montreal to buy curling shoes for growing feet. I have read in this forum that you can buy skateboard shoes and then customize them to be Curling, how much will this cost and where to do this customization?

Thank you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.163.242.189

10-07-13 08:06PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I am looking for curling shoes in Montreal. I found only one store which sells curling shoes and has limited variety. Is there any other place I can go in Montreal to buy curling shoes for growing feet. I have read in this forum that you can buy skateboard shoes and then customize them to be Curling, how much will this cost and where to do this customization?

Thank you.

Doesn't the club you curl at sell shoes? If not maybe ask around the club as to where other members get their shoes?

At one time you could buy sliders or slider kits and glue them with contact cement on any flat bottom shoe but it was never as good as a real curling shoe. The bottom of the shoe must be flat as possible and the toe must not curl up.

Larry

02-17-16 11:45AM
Norse Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norse Curler Click here to Send Norse Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Norse Curler Add Norse Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norse Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

shoe material

I am looking at buying some sheet material of rubber to cut out and adhere to my gripper foot of my shoes to convert them and keep the thickness of both shoe soles the same. For my slider foot I am attaching teflon from sheet material that is 5/32 to 1/4 depending on the rubber I get for the gripper foot. 5/32 seems to be plenty fast.
The question is...what type of rubber sheet material to buy as far as durometer rating, pattern, etc to give the grip a curler wants, is durable so it doesnt break down and leave debris on the ice?
Durometer rating of running shoe is 70, tire 50, pencil eraser is 40.
Also, if teflon is teflon, great, but if there is any grading system or anything specific to curling I should know about I'm all ears.
Probly gonna convert all my kids shoes too through the years instead of having to buy curling shoes for each one every year as they grow.
I have researched fitting and attaching so with a little trial and error we should have acceptible results.
Help please?

Signed....Cheap Dad.

02-17-16 12:22PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

SO cheap dad, I cannot help you with the durometer, other thatn to say it is soft in general. I was told that good gripper rubber is a special blend of rubber polymers that gets grippier at cold temperatures versus standard rubber.

One option you may look at, is from Steves Curling you can buy a gripper piece that you can glue on.
http://www.stevescurling.com/product-p/gripmat-bk.htm

For the teflon, you might be able to find teflon that is etched on once side already. Here is a description from a supplier "One side is etched for bonding with adhesive (not included). The other side and edges have a smooth finish. Etched side is brown."

Without this etching, you will have some issues glueing the teflon to yoru shoe, since "nothing sticks to teflon". I have found SHoe Goo does stick pretty well, but the etching will make it work even better.

02-17-16 12:29PM
Norse Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norse Curler Click here to Send Norse Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Norse Curler Add Norse Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norse Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thank you.
I have been looking at vibram (expensive), rubber, crepe soles, gum crinkle(which reminds me of the rubber that the slip on grippers are made of).
Cheap Dad

02-17-16 01:55PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

If I were in to making my own shoes, and keeping costs in line, I would not bother gluing on a gripper to my gym shoe. I would just by a slip on gripper, and wear that on my non-slider foot. Easy to replace if it gets worn out, and if you out grow your shoes, the slip on gripper comes with you for you next shoe (since slip on grippers are good for 2 or 3 shoe sizes). But however you want to save money is fine.

I wouldn't worry about the thickness of the rubber matching the thickness of the slider. I doubt you will notice the 1/16" or 1/8" thickness difference

02-17-16 11:43PM
Miz5508 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Miz5508 Click here to Send Miz5508 a Private Message Find more posts by Miz5508 Add Miz5508 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Miz5508
Harvey Hacksmasher

Slider wise, I have always wondered how hardware store furniture sliders pushed into (and probably glued) sneakers would do. People commonly use those sliders on delivery aids. The end result would probably resemble goldine's quantum line.

02-18-16 10:37AM
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Miz5508
Slider wise, I have always wondered how hardware store furniture sliders pushed into (and probably glued) sneakers would do. People commonly use those sliders on delivery aids. The end result would probably resemble goldine's quantum line.

Those furniture sliders are not teflon typically, just some sort of common plastic polymer line PE. Dont think they will be nearly as fast as the teflon as a result