Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Hardline Comes Out Swinging...

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-01-16 04:24PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Hardline Comes Out Swinging...

http://hardlinecurlingnews.blogspot...eeping.html?m=1

Have a look at this folks. A well written and researched blog post from Hardline. They've obviously had just about enough of Broomgate and the small group of so-called elites who'd rather blame technology so they can continue to use directional sweeping to correct poor deliveries and releases.

Think the WCF will do the right thing? Not a chance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-01-16 05:15PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

The sweeping summit needs to be very transparent and happen early enough for all manufactures to have time to adjust to any changes. Sweeping rules should be the main focus.

05-01-16 05:30PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Whoever the blogger is that wrote that sure doesn't understand the KISS principle.

05-01-16 05:32PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Whoever the blogger is that wrote that sure doesn't understand the KISS principle.

Seemed pretty simple to understand to me.

05-01-16 08:28PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

What's more simple than a manufacturer stating they believe it's technique which is the real issue?

Seriously, how easy it would be for Hardline to go along with the others and say it's the brooms. Think of all the replacement sales they would get by simply adjusting their products every time another fabric was considered 'too aggressive' by a little clique of 'elites' when they start losing to teams outside their group.

These guys are taking the high road. How nice it would be to see others do the same.

05-02-16 12:17PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

I was GoldLine stuff but that Hardline post was awesome. 100% agree. Great to see the records before and after teams switched to Hardline.

The biggest problem with WCF is that ANY sponsorship to them from ANY manufacturer of curling equipment is going to be seen as a problem. They need to drop Goldline and BalancePlus as official sponsors ASAP and if they don't understand why they are clueless.

05-02-16 01:12PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Rock and roll all night and party every day.

05-02-16 04:21PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Archie's amazingly long and rambling post is the reason why manufacturers should not be involved in the actual testing. Archie’s win loss record study does NOT prove anything. Let me give you an extreme example that shows why. Let’s say that I am not good at curling, and that my record against Brad Gushue when he used a BP brush was 1W and 49L. Let’s then says that after Gushue switched to a HL brush, my record was 2W and 23L. Does this change in record tell you that the HL brush is actually less effective than the BP, since my winning percentage was 2% against Gushue and the BP, but was 8% when Gushue used the HL? Of course it doesn’t. The fact is that Gushue is either A.) Better than me (which he is) or B.) We are equally talented (which we are not) but head to head his style of game is one that I don’t play well against (i.e. he has my number).

The ONLY way that W-L matters would be if Gushue played his own team, and when his team played Red Stones they used BP and when they played Yellow stones they used HL. And even then you need to account for statistically advantages of who has hammer in the first.

Notice that Archie gives no stats other than W-L. It’s because HL has not done any of their own testing. Instead HL sticks to mudslinging and name calling. You can counter that by saying, well Player X said something bad about HL so they are entitled. Sure, maybe they are, but it doesn’t make that a mature response. And Archie could have given all of the W-L data, and written in such a way to allow you to jump to the conclusion that some teams are a bunch of crybabies. Rather he choose to directly call certain players out. Again, his right, but still doesn’t make that a mature response.

05-02-16 04:32PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
Archie's amazingly long and rambling post is the reason why manufacturers should not be involved in the actual testing. Archie’s win loss record study does NOT prove anything.

Essentially, correlation does not imply causation.

Back to the pissing contest.

05-02-16 05:05PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

> Archie's win loss record study does NOT prove anything.

Archie was responding to inferences made by Niklas Edin and others. So it's not on HL to prove anything, it's on Edin (or the governing bodies that banned the brushes due in part to statements made by Edin, Ulsrud, Glenn Howard, Brad Jacobs and others) to prove that there is a problem. Archie is just offering simple evidence that refutes Edin's inference.

He also offered multiple reasonable remedies to the situation, some of which would cost HL considerable money. I hope that WCF pursues one or more of these so that we can get back to curling.

05-02-16 09:56PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rbi
Archie is just offering simple evidence that refutes Edin's inference.

He also offered multiple reasonable remedies to the situation, some of which would cost HL considerable money.

Exactly what true scientific evidence to Archie provide. He provided records. There is no factual evidence in that that his brooms did or did not do anything, just observations. Also, please explain how anything Archie suggested would cost HL any dollars? I dont see that at all.

05-03-16 03:17AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I agree with most of what Hardline wrote in that blog post.
I particularly agree with their blaming the players - the players who complained all year about the sweeping are the same players who employed the sweeping techniques and brush pads that they were complaining about! This is ridiculous, and is obvious hypocrisy - and it's good that the Hardline post points that out. All season, it's as if the players were begging for someone to make rules to stop them, because they were unable to stop themselves; because they lacked the discipline - or integrity - to stop themselves from using the abrasive pads and questionable sweeping techniques.

As I said, I do agree with most of what Hardline wrote in that blog post. However, Hardline has sort of put themselves in a 'catch 22' situation whereby their marketing has always claimed that their icePad is significantly more efficient than all the other curling brush pads... yet they are also now saying that teams which use the Hardline icePad gain no equipment advantage over teams which use other brush pads - and they even provide Win/Loss statistics to show that their icePad provides no advantage to winning games.

One is tempted to ask Hardline: "Well... which is it? If your icePad is significantly more efficient than other brush pads, why don't teams using the icePad win significantly more games than teams which do not use the icePad? And if teams using the icePad are not winning more than teams not using the icePad, how can you claim that the icePad is significantly more efficient than other brush pads?"

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-03-16 03:21AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

For those who haven't seen it (because it's in another thread which does not have an obvious title), you may find some interest in this informal study, which addresses to what degree different pads scratch the ice (including photos):

http://www.curlbc.ca/duncans-curlin...ce-to-the-test/

Click the link at the bottom of that page for the 'full report'.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-03-16 09:52AM
minh nguyen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for minh nguyen Click here to Send minh nguyen a Private Message Visit minh nguyen's homepage! Find more posts by minh nguyen Add minh nguyen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minh nguyen
Knee-Slider

Me venting

Sorry for my bad English, I am French and trying to write English!

I am NO expert in curling as I have only played for 2 years.
I just finish my 2nd curling season.

I ADMIT that I am the BIGGEST CHEATER in the game not because I am using the HARDLINE, because of my sweeping technique. I have master the dumping/snowplow technique this year.

My record in 1.5 years.
- 3rd place The Gordie Perry 2015-2016
- 1st place Richmond Cash Spiel 2015-2016
- 4rd place USA Utica Challenge 2014-2015
- 1st place Ottawa Club Mixed League 2014-2015
- 5th place Men City Of Ottawa Challenge 2015-2016
- 1st place Quebec Charlevoix Challenge 2015-2016
- 6rd place USA Utica Challenge 2015-2016
- 1st place Ottawa SST Annual 2015-2016
- 1st Pink Broom Spiel 2015-2016
And many more that I might have forgot...

Some big spiel and some Small Spiel, I am no PRO but that is my record in 1 year and half of curling. I should have been playing in the Novice (under 5 yrs) but I am not.

The Hardline didn't make me win all those spiel. The DUMPING/SNOW Plowering/Corner Sweeping did!

GIVE ME any material, that is waterproof and repelled dirt, frost, hair, water (water is created by storing frost between the material groove and melting it with friction and then dumping on the corner of a rock).. I will manipulate the rock like they is no tomorrow....

Hair Broom - doesn't just scratch the ice... hair broom store dirt and frost like an old dirty kitchen broom and just dump in front of the rock when I need it to make it bend or slow it down. I dare any Curling Association member to lick my old dirty hair broom if they don't believe that its dirt.

Anyone that believe that micro scratch back-off rock are FOOL and Brain Wash by Sportnet/TSN and any curling association or scientist with 100$ microscope and with no curling experience.

Strip me out of all my WINNING this year, I don't care. I just want stop hearing all the CURLING bull**** and Crying. This sport is all about the money and it running by a group of bullies (almost like the mafia).

In the last year, TV and Sponsor has given a lot of money in PRIZE. Who doesn't like 50 000 - 100 000$ in winning after 1 week of PLAYING CURLING. I would do anything for money even if I have cheat (corner sweeping).

Why don't we ask all the PRO to sweep across the rock next tournament? I am confident that they will ALL ALL ALL refuse.

ACTUALLY!!! Millions dollar question to all the PRO!!!!
Which one would you pick during the Olympic Try-out next year!!!

Option 1: Pick any Goldline or Balance Plus brush and you are ALLOW to corner sweep..

Option 2: Pick Hardline Illegal fabric and Plastic insert BUT you can only sweep across the rock at all time..

Is it the Fabric or the Corner Sweeping that make you win a game???????

This is the battle of who is going bankrupt next year. If Hardline win this battle, BYE BYE Goldline and Balance Plus.

If Hardline lose, More money to CCA and Curling Event as Goldline and Balance Plus will continue to sponsor and finance the sport.

Hardline Why don't you give 10 Millions in CCA and I am sure this dispute will go away. Money Talk

AnyWay, I might be all wrong in this as I am just a 2 years curling. Happy Tuesday everyone and I guess that I am just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

I could write a lot more but I am tired of being negative. I will probably receipt a lot of hate mail after this and lose all my team sponsors.

Sorry Doug Flower to put you on the spot light. but I am here for the good of the sport and not money.

Good luck to all the retailers

05-03-16 11:09AM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

> lick my old dirty hair broom

yes, yes. please let them post video of this.

05-03-16 12:20PM
minh nguyen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for minh nguyen Click here to Send minh nguyen a Private Message Visit minh nguyen's homepage! Find more posts by minh nguyen Add minh nguyen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
minh nguyen
Knee-Slider

FYI,

I am all for curling association putting rules and restrictions. But put right restriction.

During the Sweeping Summit, test fabric but also test sweeping technique.

Does the fabric affect the rock if it is sweep across the face of the rock OR Does the Fabric affect the rock when it is corner sweeping only?

If they really want to test fabric, only sweep across the face of the rock for accurate testing.

05-03-16 02:49PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

This summit is absolutely needed!

When a team has one brush to steer the rock and one brush to slow it down if too heavy, those fabrics definitely need to be prohibited in tournament play.

Sweeping should not be used to slow a rock. The only way that happens is by fabric.

The opinions in the summit are from everyone. If you have a problem, send them a message. All opinions will be considered.

05-05-16 04:46PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Hardline Comes Out Swinging...

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
http://hardlinecurlingnews.blogspot...eeping.html?m=1

Have a look at this folks. A well written and researched blog post from Hardline. They've obviously had just about enough of Broomgate and the small group of so-called elites who'd rather blame technology so they can continue to use directional sweeping to correct poor deliveries and releases.

Think the WCF will do the right thing? Not a chance.

Pro and amateur athletes alike are masters at rationalizing their performance (or lack of same). But ultimately, team win-loss records (real or imagined) are a red herring.

A team win-loss record against other teams has no meaningful or objective information content regarding the directional sweeping performance of brushes and brush materials. The only way to evaluate that is to measure it directly, and to understand the theory (physics) behind it.

We already have plenty of empirical evidence of the impact of both technique and materials from observations of practice and game play this season. We even have a really good idea of he physical mechanisms in play, and why some materials are more efficient that others. Some controlled off-season testing will reveal more direct data, and should provide critical information that will direct additional rule-making. At this point there can be little doubt that materials, construction, and technique are all significant contributing factors to the observed effects. Those who have studied the problem and those who are charged with making the rules have converged on the approach of dealing with materials and construction first, and if that is not sufficient, then technique as well. The former will be easier to enforce objectively than the latter. I'm reasonably confident that we will be better off at the start of next year than we were this year; last year was a situation where the sport was chasing an ever-moving and changing target as we learned more and more about the practice and science of brushing throughout the season.

05-05-16 09:32PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I think you look at sweeping technique first. Eliminate the north-south corner sweeping that is the most effective way of directional sweeping and you may not have to change anything about the brooms. This is more cost effective for all, curlers and manufacturers. We didn't have these problems when corner sweeping was banned.

05-06-16 12:07PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Okay, great...so...I have a mission for you, dugless..

Write the rule.

It needs to be clear and not have any grey areas, it needs to be enforceable, and needs to be able to be determined if it's infracting or not by an official who may be as far as 75 feet away when the infraction occurs, and at the end of the sheet (ie not perpendicular to the running path of the stone.

Good luck with that.

05-06-16 12:45PM
Curlingnut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlingnut Click here to Send Curlingnut a Private Message Find more posts by Curlingnut Add Curlingnut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlingnut
Harvey Hacksmasher

Whats sad about all of this is that quite a few posts are concerned about how to officiate the problem be it be broom heads or technique, our sport used to be based on sportsmanship and very seldom did we even think that someone was cheating now its in the forefront of most every discussion. Truly a sad time for our sport!

05-06-16 12:50PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Welcome to being a Professional/Olympic Sport.

When nothing was on the line other than a trophy and some fame, how you won was at least as important as if you won, and 2nd place wasn't too much of a problem, you still did well, mate.

Now, there are Olympic Medals at stake, or Ranking points leading to tournaments with significant chunks of change on the line. For many nations, if their top team doesn't qualify for the Olympics, it is a DISASTER, as the OC will cut funding and down the drain goes the program, and thereby the sport.

Regretfully, that changes the game, at the top level at least. It's not that folks will *want* to cheat, necessarily, but that they are going to push the line as far as it can go, and a neutral arbitrator is going to have to enforce just where that line is.

Sad? Yep. The nature of the beast? Also...yep...

05-06-16 01:01PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Okay, great...so...I have a mission for you, dugless..

Write the rule.

It needs to be clear and not have any grey areas, it needs to be enforceable, and needs to be able to be determined if it's infracting or not by an official who may be as far as 75 feet away when the infraction occurs, and at the end of the sheet (ie not perpendicular to the running path of the stone.

Good luck with that.

And what is your alternative Alan?

Having no rules that no official can enforce? Are you saying officials are too stupid to walk down the sheet or to use their? To continue having this circus going on?

Let's all have sand paper under are brooms. Let snow plow, corner sweep and lets all joystick the rocks and we can all get a good laugh at this comedy. While we are at it, let's have electric brooms and rocks with remote controls.

But hey, the officials won't destroy the game by doing what every officials in every other sport is doing which is using their judgement, calling it as they see it, and yes, making an occasional wrong call.

05-06-16 01:08PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Nope, not saying that at all (I'd better not be, seeing as how I *AM* one).

What I am saying is that if you want a rule, it needs to be one that is clear and officials can have confidence in their ability to call.

As for "walking down the sheet"...where do you propose we do that? Not all facilities have beautiful carpeted walkways between all sheets, and if you want us to walk up and down the ice, you're asking us to potentially interfere with the action on either the game we are working or another sheet inadvertently. Not to mention potential slip and fall issues.

Currently, officials are stationed at the House end so that they can see where the critical actions happen in the majority of cases. so, you either need the rule to be one that can be detected from 75 feet away or more (if the sweeping infringement is right after the release) or you need to change the layouts of the sheets to allow travel lanes for the officials.

My recommendation, personally, would be to write the rule so that it can be detected from a distance at an oblique angle. Regretfully, that means that a rule judging things like "The sweeper cannot enter the airspace above the stone" or "The sweeper must remain in front of the stone" are infeasible, as that's impossible to reliably detect from the distance and angle an official is currently gonna be at.

So...given that...and the fact that a rule of some sort is needed...write the rule...that's all I'm asking.

05-06-16 01:31PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Nope, not saying that at all (I'd better not be, seeing as how I *AM* one).

What I am saying is that if you want a rule, it needs to be one that is clear and officials can have confidence in their ability to call.

So...given that...and the fact that a rule of some sort is needed...write the rule...that's all I'm asking.

You have challenged Dugless to write a rule. You are an official. I am issuing the same challenge to you. That's all I'm asking.