Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mary Fay walks away from curling

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-30-16 04:20PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Mary Fay walks away from curling

We would like to wish Mary Fay the best as she has chosen to walk away from curling to pursue other endeavours:
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=553

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-30-16 04:27PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow, that's shocking.

She can say she went out on top.

Probably more to the announcement, but it's tough being that age, with school, career and other pressures. So I am not going to read too much into the announcement.

Hopefully this is a quick step away rather than an extended leave.

I always tell my kids, curling/sports should not be a burden. The day you don't look forward to going to the curling rink or baseball field, perhaps you should take a break.

Again, not reading too much into this. Wish Mary Fay and her teammates all the best.

04-30-16 04:58PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Not shocking at all..

Pre-Medical or Medical School is not your everyday career path

Mary Fay showed her Team and the world how talent,sport and class
work well together..

I doubt its a permanent goodbye from Mary...
just a pretty mature and considerate ( to her team mates) decision
knowing how a top level curler needs a lot of commitment

Good Luck Mary Fay !! Study hard ..Excel...

04-30-16 06:32PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

its not surprising at all given her area of study. med school is very demanding.

id like to hope that this wont be the last we see of her but its quite possible it will be.

wish her all the best

04-30-16 09:25PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

We may see her back in a few years...right decision for now.

04-30-16 10:42PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I say great for her to follow her path in life outside of curling, but hope she does come back in the future because she has the potential, with good team mates, to be one of the best in NS and one of Canada's best.

04-30-16 11:35PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Recreational curling is completely fulfilling and great exercise. As a health professional, she has chosen a terrific avocation! Many club curlers play and defeat competitive curlers on a weekly basis. Strong club curlers are the ones who keep the competitive curlers sharp. Am sure she'll be on the ice once or twice a week with her gal pals, or in mixed. Join the same club as Mary Fay if you want great games on a Tuesday night.

05-01-16 01:54PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

Why would she become a doctor? Doesn't she know she could make hundreds of dollars each year by being a curler?

05-03-16 03:30AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy
Why would she become a doctor? Doesn't she know she could make hundreds of dollars each year by being a curler?

Actually, at the rate that the prize money (and sponsorship money?) is increasing in curling, in 5 years or so from now, she could be making just as much money curling as she'd be making as a doctor.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-03-16 07:33AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Maybe being a doctor is her life's goal. You certainly can't count on curling as an income with all the great teams.

05-03-16 11:58AM
broomsmith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for broomsmith Click here to Send broomsmith a Private Message Find more posts by broomsmith Add broomsmith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
broomsmith
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Actually, at the rate that the prize money (and sponsorship money?) is increasing in curling, in 5 years or so from now, she could be making just as much money curling as she'd be making as a doctor.

Ya, there will also be a great pension and benefits program available for the grand slam players in 5 years.

05-03-16 05:25PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

Let's do the math on this. Let's assume in five years she's a 22 year old doctor, with a 43 year career in front of her. I can find multiple sources showing the average doctor salaries over $300,000 per year. Without any inflation, Mary could earn $12,900,000 in those 43 years.

Let's look at how much she could earn in curling. Homan's team topped the money list this year just shy of $170,000. This is cut by at least four people, and doesn't include travel costs. Let's assume the sponsors pay for all travel, accommodations, meals, equipment, etc. and the curlers get to take a 25% share of all gross winnings. Jennifer Jones is 41, and could curl for a bit. Let's cap the competitive curling age at 45, giving Mary 23 years, starting at the same time frame as the doctor route. Mary would need to earn $561,000 per year, meaning her team would need to win $2,244,000 each season. That seems really unlikely that the top team would increase their prize money by 1,235%. I hope it happens, but I don't see it going to those lengths. If the money was that good, then you'd have a lot more people curling, making it tougher to get a bigger share of that.

I've seen the Pintys and Humtpys ads. There's no way they have anywhere near that type of money to give away.

05-03-16 05:31PM
TheOne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOne Click here to Send TheOne a Private Message Find more posts by TheOne Add TheOne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOne
Swing Artist

Add that prize/income curling money is not guaranteed. you have to win it.

shouldn't be compared imo

05-03-16 08:42PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

I have had the pleasure of meeting this wonderful young lady.

Congratulations for her accomplishments on the ice.

I hope she will join her local club and find the time to curl once or twice a week with no expectations other than to play the game and have fun.

05-03-16 09:58PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Queens Univ

I understood Mary Fay's Pre-Med is in Kingston for Queen's University..
Her Medical School qualification is likely riding on how well she does at Queens...
not everyone gets into Med school..

Curling is a game..being a Doctor is not..
very impressed with how seriously Mary takes her desire to get into medicine..

05-04-16 01:24AM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I'm sure Mary's fateful decision was NOT guided by money!

Also pretty sure she considered trudging on whilst pursuing her science & pre-med degree but decided the curling didn't merit the effort.

Hope she can cobble together a formidable provincial team and make at least one appearance at a STOH.

My first comment about her being able to make hundreds of dollars was made in jest. The second was in response to the ridiculous idea that you can make as much from curling as you conform being a doctor. I am glad she is giving up curling for now. I want doctors concentrating on saving lives.

05-04-16 06:28AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

My first comment about her being able to make hundreds of dollars was made in jest. The second was in response to the ridiculous idea that you can make as much from curling as you conform being a doctor. I am glad she is giving up curling for now. I want doctors concentrating on saving lives.

And my original reply to you was made partially in jest - though you seem to have taken it seriously enough to feel you must defend your point.

That said, there is no disputing that the prize money and sponsorship money in curling has grown significantly in the past 20 years, and all signs indicate that this will continue, and at an ever-increasing rate.

Before we elect her to Sainthood for choosing to "save lives" over curling, does anyone know what type of medicine she is wishing to enter?
It could be podiatry...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-04-16 09:36AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

becoming a doctor...

Depending on whether you plan to work as a general physician
or as another type of doctor, training can take between eleven and sixteen years.

Most doctors complete at least four years of undergraduate school, followed by four years of medical school and then three-to-eight years of residency programs.

05-04-16 10:54AM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

Some of these comments attempting to dissect her motives border on the bizarre. I get it that she is in some respects a "public figure", having appeared on TV multiple times now, and therefore cannot help but be subject to public discussion. But look. She's a kid, who is evidently very bright, and who has become very good at playing a game. Now she's going to spend a lot of time doing something else. Fine. Let's hope she has a happy and meaningful life, where she helps people. Even people with foot problems, should she choose to become a podiatrist.

05-04-16 05:58PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig
Some of these comments attempting to dissect her motives border on the bizarre. I get it that she is in some respects a "public figure", having appeared on TV multiple times now, and therefore cannot help but be subject to public discussion. But look. She's a kid, who is evidently very bright, and who has become very good at playing a game. Now she's going to spend a lot of time doing something else. Fine. Let's hope she has a happy and meaningful life, where she helps people. Even people with foot problems, should she choose to become a podiatrist.

Best post of the day!

05-04-16 08:25PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin

Best post of the day!

AGREED!

05-05-16 01:21AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig

Good post.
Indeed, Mary Fay is still very young, and the fact that she has chosen to leave curling - for the time being, at least - is unfortunate for curling and its fans, some of whom are found on this message board. And I suppose that the fact that she had established herself as one of the best curlers in her age group on the planet makes her decision to forego curling in favour of pursuing medicine a brave and very commendable one. I hope this was truly her decision, and not something done to just please her parents or anyone else. And I hope that money had very little or nothing to do with the decision.
I wish her nothing but the best - no matter what branch of medicine she enters.

My mention of podiatry was simply in response to the overly dramatic post saying that the poster prefers that "doctors concentrate on saving lives".
I have nothing against podiatry or podiatrists - they serve an important purpose for some people. But they aren't generally in the business of saving lives.

Last edited by On The Nose on 05-05-16 at 02:02AM

05-07-16 10:57PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Actually. It's none of our business why this young woman made her decision to pursue her dream. It's a sad statement that there has to be a public forum thread with people making pompous,arrogant posts dissecting her decision.

Get a real life folks. She's a teen, finding herself. If shes meant to return to the game, she will-in whatever level she wants. Until, or if, then; lets leave her alone.

Success to you Mary Fay.

05-08-16 02:13AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Re: For those who missed it - - -

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
here's a nifty print interview with recently retired Mary Fay conducted by roustabout curling personality John Cullen. Hilarious comment by Mary F. about "Manitoba Toe-Tuckers" near the end . . .

Aha! So it is podiatry after all...

06-26-16 11:18AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:

That said, there is no disputing that the prize money and sponsorship money in curling has grown significantly in the past 20 years, and all signs indicate that this will continue, and at an ever-increasing rate...

The actual answer is yes, there is disputing. Agree with you that sponsorship has increased, but there is an analysis of bonspiel winnings in relative dollar values that can be done. A bonspiel in 1990 that payed out $20K to the winner or a car spiel in 1982 (both existed) would be much higher in today's dollars.

There is also no reason to believe the recent increase in events (and subsequently total purse) and sponsorship will grow higher. Some believe we are over-saturating the curling "market" and might flatten or even go backwards.