Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Laycock letting Simmons burnt rock stay in play.

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-30-16 02:02AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Laycock letting Simmons burnt rock stay in play.

Bad move. It seemed Laycock wanted to prove he could win anyway. Old rules were better with no option. Simmons team were fully accepting that they were going to lose.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-30-16 07:36AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't lol.

04-30-16 10:25AM
darkwingone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwingone Click here to Send darkwingone a Private Message Find more posts by darkwingone Add darkwingone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwingone
Harvey Hacksmasher

not sure it made any difference as he was drawing against one anyway but it did show a lot of class,

04-30-16 10:39AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

It was a bizarre finish as Simmons’s second skip stone in eight was initially pulled as sweeper Tom Sallows had touched it with his brush while in the house. However, Laycock made the classy call to place it back and needed to draw to the four-foot circle with his last for the winning single while facing two counters. Unfortunately for Laycock, he came up light and didn’t even make it into the paint.

This is in the spirit of the game. Unlike another incident just over a month ago.

04-30-16 11:35AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Totally agree. Nice to see classy moves on the ice.

04-30-16 11:51AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I think it made a huge difference. If burnt rock removed Laycock probably hits and even if he rolls out has hammer in extra end. Also probably lost focus due to the incident.

04-30-16 12:31PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by alex
I think it made a huge difference. If burnt rock removed Laycock probably hits and even if he rolls out has hammer in extra end. Also probably lost focus due to the incident.

I didn't see the ending, but of course you are right when you think about it. He would have hit for sure. So yes, it was even more classy.

04-30-16 12:41PM
Miz5508 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Miz5508 Click here to Send Miz5508 a Private Message Find more posts by Miz5508 Add Miz5508 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Miz5508
Harvey Hacksmasher

What if the stone had been thrown by a baboon? That's the real question here.

05-01-16 07:05PM
Noodle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noodle Click here to Send Noodle a Private Message Find more posts by Noodle Add Noodle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noodle
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't understand this rule... A burnt rock is burnt....letting the skip decide, make other skips seem like poor sportsman if they don't replace the rock.
People are saying that a tiny tap, doesn't affect a stone.. I always wonder at this remark, when you consider that a "pick" a piece of debris affects a running stone..an accidental touch of brush or foot.. affects the path and the end result.

05-02-16 02:58PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido
It was a bizarre finish as Simmons’s second skip stone in eight was initially pulled as sweeper Tom Sallows had touched it with his brush while in the house. However, Laycock made the classy call to place it back and needed to draw to the four-foot circle with his last for the winning single while facing two counters. Unfortunately for Laycock, he came up light and didn’t even make it into the paint.

This is in the spirit of the game. Unlike another incident just over a month ago.

Totally agree... Laycock showed the true spirit of curling and not sure how many skips would have shown as much class. It was nice to catch the move on TV.

05-02-16 03:30PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Herein lies a major problem. Heartwarming to see the so called "gentleman" aspect of curling, however, given the perk, dollars, points, prestige etc that now is part of the sport, the "gentleman" aspect is becoming rarer. Thus, when they don't all play the same rules, the game suffers.

05-02-16 03:38PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Simmons showed the same sportsmanship against Epping in the semi final. Eppings last draw to win the game was clearly burnt but Simmons let the shot stand.

05-02-16 03:42PM
Noodle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noodle Click here to Send Noodle a Private Message Find more posts by Noodle Add Noodle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noodle
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am not questioning whether it is a class act, I personally feel that a burnt rock should be removed, no questions asked. But that is my opinion.

I am not a curler, but followed my son through 12 years of curling, a burnt rock was burnt. It was removed from play. It wasn't open to debate.

I have been trying to remember last year season, how many burnt rocks were there on televised games ? I don't remember one?
Yet how many were there in the last month? Why is this happening so often all of a sudden ?

Totally unrelated, but, I'm putting it out there, In golf.. You take a practice swing, occasionally you may be a little too close to your ball, and you slightly touch it and it moves less then an inch, you touched it, it cost you a stroke,
Next time, your practice swing isn't that close to your ball. You learn real quick. When your playing for fun, others players in your group, might say forget it, but in a tournament, it's not even asked, you take the stroke.

Hopefully this summer, with all the other changes that are happening with the game, this rule gets looked at and gets clarification. Or get umps/refs out there to make the decision, that way there is no back lash to any players who say remove a burnt rock.

05-02-16 05:35PM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

Stones burned between the hoglines are automatically removed.
Stones burned after the playing end hogline have three options:
1) Remove from play
2) Let the play stand as it happened
3) Put the stones where you deem they would have ended up.

The latter two options exist to avoid having teams intentionally burn a stone that is going to work to their detriment. If it was automatically removed, and I'm going to jam my opponents stone onto my own, or roll to a terrible spot, there is the potential a team just burns it, so that the outcome is not as bad for their team. I am not saying that teams would do this; however, I believe this is why the rule is the way it is.

05-02-16 05:37PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
I am not questioning whether it is a class act, I personally feel that a burnt rock should be removed, no questions asked. But that is my opinion.

No way. Then players can deliberately burn a rock to their advantage when they see a shot is not going to work out.

05-02-16 06:47PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Noodle

I have been trying to remember last year season, how many burnt rocks were there on televised games ? I don't remember one?
Yet how many were there in the last month? Why is this happening so often all of a sudden ?

It happened more this year because of the sweeping technique. We found it more beneficial, especially with the one sweeper, to drop in behind the stone. The brush strokes are more effective north/south, rather than east/west, and dropping in behind the stone gives you the best angle for this. Note that this is legal in Canadian curling, but the WCF requires you to sweep side to side, rather than only requiring movement in Canada. With the sweepers' hands so low to the brush head, and the position behind the stone, it's definitely going to put you in position to burn more rocks. Thankfully most curlers are owning up to them.