Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-24-16 12:58PM
THORDAL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for THORDAL Click here to Send THORDAL a Private Message Find more posts by THORDAL Add THORDAL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
THORDAL
Harvey Hacksmasher

8 ender

Does any one know thd odds of getting an 8 ender?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-24-16 08:37PM
averagecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for averagecurler Click here to Send averagecurler a Private Message Find more posts by averagecurler Add averagecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
averagecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

The problem I see in trying to calculate this type of thing is you need set odds. If you take a bunch of noobs and put them on the ice against some seasoned players I'd say the chances of the experienced players getting an 8 ender is much higher than if they were playing an equally matched team.

04-24-16 09:39PM
THORDAL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for THORDAL Click here to Send THORDAL a Private Message Find more posts by THORDAL Add THORDAL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
THORDAL
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was able to find out that the odds of a hole in one in golf is 12000 to 1 but I could not find the odds of an 8 ender

04-25-16 09:02AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Impossible to accurately calculate, because unlike Golf, curling has an opponent on the ice.

It's not just how well and accurately and lucky you are with your shot, it's how unlucky (or unskilled) your opponents are, the tactical situation in the game at the beginning of the end (you're never going to see a team up 4 in the last end give up an 8...unless they miss 6 takeouts...vanishingly unlikely), etc.

04-25-16 09:45AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

The OCA had 57 8-enders reported to it this season.

Come up with a reasonable guess of the number of ends by clubs in the OCA this season.

There's your estimate.

Having been on the good side of an 8-ender I can say that they are not really achievements, per se. They are more like events that happen to you.

04-25-16 11:05AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

My club is having it's 50th anniversary next year and still have not recorded an 8 ender. I estimate there has been between 125,000 and 160,000 ends played during that time.

We have had multiple state champions, national medalists and HPP curlers, so I don't think it is because we lack talent.

04-25-16 11:37PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
The OCA had 57 8-enders reported to it this season.

Come up with a reasonable guess of the number of ends by clubs in the OCA this season.

There's your estimate.

Having been on the good side of an 8-ender I can say that they are not really achievements, per se. They are more like events that happen to you.

This is very confusing. You suggest there were 57 8 enders this season? I don;t believe that is possible. Maybe in its existence?

I don't think 8 ender's can be calculated with odds. And if it did it would definitely be different for everyone.

Also having great curlers doesn;t necessarily mean a better chance at an 8 ender. You usually need the right opposition, or the right situation in a game or even the right ice conditions (good or bad).

04-26-16 02:05AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

What I want to know is what percentage of teams who score an 8-ender go on to LOSE that game...

I suppose we'll have to figure out the odds of scoring an 8-ender first (which, the future being unpredictable, and not necessarily based on the past, is really impossible).

Heh...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-26-16 10:03AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck

This is very confusing. You suggest there were 57 8 enders this season? I don;t believe that is possible. Maybe in its existence?

http://ontcurl.com/awards/8-ender/

8 enders are not all that rare in the grand scheme of things considering all the games that get played. Heck, I've gotten one. I've seen another happen on an adjacent sheet. They are certainly very rare from any particular curler's point of view.

quote:
I don't think 8 ender's can be calculated with odds. And if it did it would definitely be different for everyone.

Sure they can. I've already said exactly how to do it. Number of 8-enders divided by number of ends played (or number of games played if you like.)

The hard part is coming up with a number of games played. The OCA has 193 clubs. Let's say the average OCA club has 4 sheets. Maybe that's low. Plenty of 3, 4, and 6 sheeters out there. A few with 5. A couple with 8. Let's go with 4.

Suppose a club averages 10 draws a week (this will be low for some but high for others). That gives you a little over 185280 games in a year. There were 57 8-enders last year.

So your 8-ender rate is about 3 in 10000. That's so close to zero that would be pretty close to the probability of an 8-ender in any particular game. A curler would expect to wait over 3000 games before being in a game with an 8-ender, but since an 8-ender is essentially a random event, you shouldn't be surprised to go 6000 to 9000 games before it happens.

So, yeah, most people will never be in a game with an 8 ender. But there are lots of games played and not such a small number of 8 enders happen every year, overall.

04-26-16 11:37AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

http://ontcurl.com/awards/8-ender/

8 enders are not all that rare in the grand scheme of things considering all the games that get played. Heck, I've gotten one. I've seen another happen on an adjacent sheet. They are certainly very rare from any particular curler's point of view.

Sure they can. I've already said exactly how to do it. Number of 8-enders divided by number of ends played (or number of games played if you like.)

The hard part is coming up with a number of games played. The OCA has 193 clubs. Let's say the average OCA club has 4 sheets. Maybe that's low. Plenty of 3, 4, and 6 sheeters out there. A few with 5. A couple with 8. Let's go with 4.

Suppose a club averages 10 draws a week (this will be low for some but high for others). That gives you a little over 185280 games in a year. There were 57 8-enders last year.

So your 8-ender rate is about 3 in 10000. That's so close to zero that would be pretty close to the probability of an 8-ender in any particular game. A curler would expect to wait over 3000 games before being in a game with an 8-ender, but since an 8-ender is essentially a random event, you shouldn't be surprised to go 6000 to 9000 games before it happens.

So, yeah, most people will never be in a game with an 8 ender. But there are lots of games played and not such a small number of 8 enders happen every year, overall.

http://i.imgur.com/SF8MzIP.gif

"So your telling me there's a chance"

04-26-16 11:47AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by TJNCJ

We have had multiple state champions, national medalists and HPP curlers, so I don't think it is because we lack talent.

Perversely, I suspect it is *less* likely that a talented curling team is going to give up an 8 ender.

- They aren't going to miss all their hits
- The Skip will notice the situation sooner and strategize

Now, that is balanced by the fact that, presumably, a talented team against an untalented one would be more likely to put the untalented team into a spot where an 8 is possible.

However, a team that knows they are playing 'above their class' will tend to play a game that is likely to avoid an 8 ender as well, as they would deliberately "play smallball", ie not try to score a big end, just focus on keeping the other team from blowing them out.

04-26-16 12:04PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFLgSavnaB8

04-26-16 12:10PM
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

Perversely, I suspect it is *less* likely that a talented curling team is going to give up an 8 ender.

On the other hand...

A talented team might be more likely to take on more risk when down in the score, because they have confidence in making the last shot to get 1 in a good position to score.

Which, if they then miss, could result in the 8 against them.

Such as here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvAVeVDyto (N.Ont. finals)

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvAVeVDyto (2006 Players')