Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > The Olympic Qualifying Event (OQE)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-27-13 06:14PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

SMP, ain't you supposed to out practicing Mixed Doubles? Why concern yourself with French curling economics?

Just kidding. We are all reflecting on France as it pertains to USA curling. Sean's economics lead me to think about public schools. Some think that extra money should be given to the public schools that are doing well. Most think that extra money ought to go towards schools that are failing the students. A few think it is the fault of the students and money means nothing.

An apt analogy for funding various sports, I suppose. I think it falls short because it puts too much on the USOC.

The USOC functions are a far more simple model. They pay for medals. Give them a good medal count and they give you mountains of money. Give them no medals and they give you no money. Beautiful in its simplicity and effective in the short term. Long term implications are left to the governing bodies...right or wrong.

That is where we might be dropping the ball. It's a slippery ball, however. If we don't put both genders into every Olympics are we killing the goose that lays the golden egg? It far from and easy call. Would one gender give us an equal growth spurt every four years? Would the Olympics give us growth if no USA teams qualified? Will medals give us more growth then just qualifying? Tough to foretell with any quantification.

So there are areas of grey. I, for one, look more towards the black and white. Sending Vincent rather then Dufour was right and not wrong. Sending Dufour every time until he keels over is shortsighted and stupid. Still, I feel for those who must make such decisions impacting so much funding and so much impact on our growth. These cannot be easy decisions.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-27-13 10:40PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

What you're saying is that "If we're not good enough, let's change the rules so we can still get a spot?"

Doubt that will ever happen, the rest of the World isn't going to vote to sacrifice one of their own spots to make sure the USA has a berth in the Olympics.

I suspect you are right Gerry but I would not guarantee that this will not happen. In this world of ours, nothing speaks louder than $$$$$$. And nobody listens more closely to that ca-chink ca-chink than the IOC.

12-04-13 10:30AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Face and Da Boyz jet to Germany on Friday...a little early so they can adjust to the time zone change. Semi-professional fifth man, Craig Brown, follows them this Saturday.

The very best of luck, guys. Be cold and calculating killers. Pressure is for the other guys. You guys just take this opportunity to show how good you've become after all of your work. Enjoy the big stage and show off your skills. Let the other teams melt in the bright lights.

I'm off to Winnipeg to watch some of their Trials. Meeting ThirdNerd for lunch.

Ben Tucker

12-04-13 12:57PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Is any of this going to be on any sort of coverage an average human in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US can see?

I assume scores will be updated religiously here on CZ, but aside from that?

12-04-13 02:45PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

If nothing else, I'm sure Terry will be live tweeting the US games.

-BA

12-04-13 04:07PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Possibly the WCF or Eurosport?

JH

12-05-13 10:13AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Looks like the WCF will have coverage on their youtube channel.

Live coverage will also be available via the internet on the World Curling Federation’s YouTube Channel World Curling TV. www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV

No schedule for that posted anywhere that I could find.

JH

12-05-13 10:42AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Is any of this going to be on any sort of coverage an average human in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US can see?

I assume scores will be updated religiously here on CZ, but aside from that?

quote:
TV Broadcast & Web TV Coverage Schedule

Extensive televised coverage of the Olympic Qualification 2013 from Fuessen can be seen by viewers in Japan on NHK’s channel and digital media platforms.

All Chinese games will be televised by China’s CCTV sport.

Live coverage will also be available via the internet on the World Curling Federation’s YouTube Channel World Curling TV.

www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV

http://sochi2014.curlingevents.com/...verage-schedule

12-08-13 01:57PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV

First televised event posted.

December 10, 2013 10:00 AM (EST), Men Jpn-Kor

I expect a lot of the coverage will be of China and Japan.

12-08-13 02:57PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

That is possible. China and Japan are broadcasting at home so the WCF TV might be picking up those feeds. Like the ECC where Norway and Sweden were broadcasting and a lot of the games on WCF TV were featuring those teams.

JH

12-09-13 03:35PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The full webcast schedule is up. Only one game of Team Shuster is on, Thursday at 1:00 EST.

12-09-13 05:34PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Well, that pretty much sucks. China gets all of their games through a Chinese feed and we get one game? Where is our feed? Get the TESN guys on a jet. How does China do it?

Ben Tucker
Go Shoostie!

12-10-13 08:07AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Looks like there will be some kind of shot tracker thing. There is also live scores.

Go here

http://sochi2014.curlingevents.com/oqe-live-scores

12-10-13 08:16AM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Can't believe it

I can't believe that in this day in age that some Tuck wannabe is going to have to diagram every shot on a shot tracker for me to get my fix.

TESN is a few years from the corporate jet.

Good luck shoostie!

12-10-13 11:28AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Shot tracker is live on http://sochi2014.curlingevents.com/oqe-live-scores ....US game one is in the 6th end, tied at 5.

12-10-13 12:54PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

thank god that wasn't on tv. these guys better get it together quick! 3 of their guys beat all of ours on % but one. how do you let those guys accrue and leave up 3-4 guards the entire 10th end? ugh. i sincerely hope this is just 'start slow and make a run' shuster.

cze, fra and kor were the main competition coming in....and you have to beat 2 of them. now they are just down to 2. this is looking like a bit of a hole after draw 1.

Last edited by livem1 on 12-10-13 at 01:05PM

12-10-13 01:24PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

5-2 probably makes the playoffs but 6-1 would certainly be in the one-two game. They do need to turn it around quickly. Only 7 games and just the top 3 to the playoffs.

JH

12-10-13 01:43PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Tough luck getting Snitil in the first draw. Snitil has to be one of the favorites to qualify. Shuster bounced back strong after the lapse in the 3rd end, but could never get the critical deuce after that to get over the top. The last end started out promising then went off the rails. Too many Snitil guards in play late to make a play for the deuce in 10. Bad angles didn't help the situation.

Shake it off, bounce back for the next game. You don't have to birdie out yet. Gotta focus on process, not outcome. Play well, play smart, the rest takes care of itself.

Cheers.

12-10-13 03:17PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

As a point of reference, everybody on Shustie's team had a shooting percentage lower than the lowest percentage each player at the same position posted in the entire week at the Canadian Trials with one exception. Koe hit 64% in one of his games, just under Shustie's % today. Not to say that percentages tell the whole story but they do provide a pretty good indication of the level of curling. USA has a long ways to go.

12-10-13 03:33PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

Yikes! Team shooting percentage a less-than-sterling 69%. How is that possible? I thought maybe the ice had gone out or something, but Czech's scored 78% as a team. Shoostie and Ike at 63% and 69% ... sounds like the newbie league at the club.
I know some CZ followers think we should be rah-rah-USA but, after following the Canadian Olympic Trials over the last week, this is the stuff that makes one realize just how far behind U.S. men's competitive curling is to the top tier in the world. Regardless of whether the U.S. makes it out of this Qualifying Event, this is the type of performance that does not bode well for U.S. medal hopes.

12-10-13 03:59PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

We will see what happens overnight against the Kiwis. I thought this event would come down to NZ, CZE and US. So, that could be a big game. Also, if you look at the percentages for France, they were really good in that game against GER. Angiboust and Dufour shot 88 and 94.

Is it too early to say this is a must win? I don't think so.

JH
Not getting up at 2am to watch shot tracker

12-10-13 04:40PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

I don't know how the top U.S. teams are preparing for competition, or how the USCA is helping them in terms of high-performance training (???) but even club teams and many competitive recreational curlers have a full-season fitness plan that involves strength training and cardio. From personal experience, I can say it makes a HUGE difference in performance even in the local club and regional bonspiel grind. At the top levels it is essential.

I think most of the rest of the world has not only caught up to the U.S. in curling, but has bought into physical training and professional coaching (mental training.) I personally don't think it is just raw talent--the U.S. has as large a pool of experienced curlers as many small countries that are outperforming us at worlds. I don't think we can take our national curling prowess for granted anymore.

Cheers.

12-10-13 04:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
We will see what happens overnight against the Kiwis. I thought this event would come down to NZ, CZE and US. So, that could be a big game. Also, if you look at the percentages for France, they were really good in that game against GER. Angiboust and Dufour shot 88 and 94.

Is it too early to say this is a must win? I don't think so.

JH
Not getting up at 2am to watch shot tracker

I think it is actually. you don t want to be starting in such a small field especially with france still to come

12-10-13 05:39PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, please.

Newbie league? Come on. A little harsh, don't you think?

Percentages? The same percentages that had Jacobs in the middle of pack at the Canadian Trials?

Shoostie and Da Boyz have one terrible end...yet still come home in the 10th one-down-with-hammer. Now I have to read about fitness training and a sports' shrink? (by the way, they have both already)

Must Win against the Kiwis? Because of the small field, every game is important with the playoffs being decided by only 7 games...but 5 and 2 locks you into the playoffs...so it is not a Must Win...just really important.

Let's do it this way: Face, you and Da Boyz run the table to finish 6 and 1 so I don't have to read all this gloom.

Ben Tucker
USA!

12-10-13 07:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Oh, please.

Newbie league? Come on. A little harsh, don't you think?

Percentages? The same percentages that had Jacobs in the middle of pack at the Canadian Trials?

Shoostie and Da Boyz have one terrible end...yet still come home in the 10th one-down-with-hammer. Now I have to read about fitness training and a sports' shrink? (by the way, they have both already)

Must Win against the Kiwis? Because of the small field, every game is important with the playoffs being decided by only 7 games...but 5 and 2 locks you into the playoffs...so it is not a Must Win...just really important.

Let's do it this way: Face, you and Da Boyz run the table to finish 6 and 1 so I don't have to read all this gloom.

Ben Tucker
USA!

I don't know if you want to be back against the wall in such a small field already though. It sounds funny to say 0-2 is in that state but it really is. In my opinion they are likely to lose to at least one of france, korea and japan which means if they start 0-2 that would give them a 3rd loss and could conceivably cost them.

we saw at the trials just how hard it is to come back from 0-2 in such a small field.