Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-15-15 02:03AM
CuriousCuz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CuriousCuz Click here to Send CuriousCuz a Private Message Find more posts by CuriousCuz Add CuriousCuz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CuriousCuz
Knee-Slider

What HPP is doing right this year

Trying to start out the new season with a positive outlook. Last year the discussion seemed to be very contentious so I'll start with what I like so far.

Biggest improvement - All three men's HPP teams are playing high level spiels the first month and a half to get more exposure to the top level of competition. Just look at the list..

Sep 8 - Shuster- GSOC Tour Challenge - 11 of top 12 teams competing

Sep 17 - Brown - Shorty Jenkins - 6 of top 12

Sep 25 - Plys and Shuster - Point Optical - 7 of top 12

Oct 9 - All 3 HPP teams - StuSells Toronto - 7 of top 12

Oct 16 - All 3 HPP teams - Canad Inns Classic - 8 of top 12

Just to clarify, when I say 8 of top 12, that means 8 of the top 12 teams by the current OOM are competing and we are there with them.

This is the kind of competition and experience all of our teams need if we have any chance of making it to the next level.

I look forward to other thoughts of what's good this year. Lets keep it positive in this thread.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-15-15 09:13AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

One downside of last year being the first year of the HPP program, is that it unfortunately got a late start, which I think made schedules more complicated for the teams. This year, teams had the full offseason to get their desired schedules in place.

09-15-15 09:19AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
One downside of last year being the first year of the HPP program, is that it unfortunately got a late start, which I think made schedules more complicated for the teams. This year, teams had the full offseason to get their desired schedules in place.

Just to be clear, last year was the first year of selected teams for the HPP. The HPP has been around for 6 years now.

09-15-15 12:41PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

They ignored their own rules to add Team Shuster and get them some funding. I guess that could be considered doing something right.

I don't think there is a big difference in the caliber of events that the teams are playing at.

Drawing a blank on anything else.

09-16-15 08:42AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

They kept their hands off deciding who would be the mixed team at World's, and just let our Champions play...

And, amazingly...it's working to this point...4-1 through 5 games, only loss to an undefeated Hungarian team (Hungary? Hungary?? What???)

09-16-15 01:46PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

While there's no guarantee that the winner of the US Championship will go to the World Championship, they will go to the Champions Cup. Not sure if this was a WCT requirement or an HPP decision. Regardless, it looks like it will be a good competitive opportunity for the winner of the US Championship.

09-16-15 01:49PM
bjacks217 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bjacks217 Click here to Send bjacks217 a Private Message Find more posts by bjacks217 Add bjacks217 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bjacks217
Harvey Hacksmasher

Alan,
Let us remember that Hungary was the World Champions of Mixed Doubles this year, so they seem to have success in mixed events.

Hungary lost to Scotland, giving them one loss in the pool. Scotland is undefeated still. Team USA plays Scotland tomorrow morning and controls their destiny. If Team USA beats Scotland (and later Brazil), I believe they will play in a tie breaker game for the playoffs. If they lost to Scotland or Brazil they would need some help to advance.

Go USA!

09-16-15 03:40PM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Not sure

The way the WCF event website looks, it appears as if 3 teams from each pool make the qualifiers to the 1/4 finals with the top seed getting a bye.

If the US wins either of their remaining two games, I think they qualify in the top three as the 4th place team has three losses.

09-16-15 03:48PM
bjacks217 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bjacks217 Click here to Send bjacks217 a Private Message Find more posts by bjacks217 Add bjacks217 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bjacks217
Harvey Hacksmasher

I stand corrected. My apologies.

Go USA!

09-17-15 02:04AM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

HPP is rolling. Since entering the HPP Team Shuster has already made it to a Grand Slam semi-final and reached the top 15 in the OOM standings. Clearly HPP is doing something right!!

(sorry, just could not resist)

09-17-15 08:32AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by rbi
HPP is rolling. Since entering the HPP Team Shuster has already made it to a Grand Slam semi-final and reached the top 15 in the OOM standings. Clearly HPP is doing something right!!

(sorry, just could not resist)

I can't help but to think though, that if Shuster had lost the finals last year at Nationals or something and a HPP team had gone to worlds, that the HPP would not have even thought about placing Shuster in the HPP this year, even though they clearly should be (Yes, he kind of choked at the olympics, but that's for another conversation; he is one of the best the US has currently). And the only way they were put on the HPP roster was because they jumped through all the fifty hoops that USCA put in place to keep non-HPP teams from making it onto the US world team.

So I'm not convinced the HPP did "something right" that caused Shuster to making the top 15; Shuster did something right to be make the top 15... I guess that's the cynic in me.

Welcome to another curling season!

09-17-15 11:07AM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

I think you need to ask Shuster and co if the summer program has helped them.

09-17-15 03:55PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

I believe Brown and Ply also played in the StuSells in Oakville earlier in September.

09-17-15 04:33PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by WarrMachine
I believe Brown and Ply also played in the StuSells in Oakville earlier in September.

Correct. Both teams failed to qualify, but it was a good field and their first events both for the year and with the new line-ups.

Not to forget the women, Roth & Sinclair played in Oakville as well, and also failed to qualify. Again, first events, tough field.

Besides Shuster in Tier I, Roth & Sinclair also played in the Tier II event at the GSOC Tour Challenge. Roth didn't qualify, but Sinclair did and made it all the way to the semifinal round.

Not too shabby of a start all-around. As has been said I think the important thing is to just keep getting out there and playing, and from the looks of things that is what the teams are going to be doing.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

09-17-15 04:35PM
CuriousCuz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CuriousCuz Click here to Send CuriousCuz a Private Message Find more posts by CuriousCuz Add CuriousCuz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CuriousCuz
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by WarrMachine

Yes, you are correct WarrMachine, both played and 6 teams there were top 12 OOM. More experience.