Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
07-27-15 07:55PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So who *is* failing us TV wise?

I'm sitting here watching Water Polo on Universal Sports. (don't judge, I cut the cord and they offer a webstream and it's what was on...) Admittedly, the US is playing, but it's a preliminary match.

Earlier today, there was Synchronized Swimming...Team Synchronized Swimming...A) an event that isn't actually in the Olympics, and B) the US sucks at it.

It's obvious to me that the production of both events was being done by the International Federations, and UnivSports was just picking up that feed and putting their voices on it (possibly not even *from* Kazhan).

A couple of days ago they had the Fencing World Championships...another sport where the US is decent, but not a consistent World Threat.

During the Winter, I've seen more raw hours of bobsledding, luge, and downhill skiing than curling.

Checking the historic ratings, when curling is shown, it hugely outdraws all of those with the exception of skiing...and that's close.

Yet, these sports have basically wall to wall coverage of their Worlds. We got...umm...did we get anything?

It makes me wonder...what's the problem?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-11-15 10:28AM
tea&takeouts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tea&takeouts Click here to Send tea&takeouts a Private Message Find more posts by tea&takeouts Add tea&takeouts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tea&takeouts
Knee-Slider

The short answer is money. For non-mainstream sports, TV networks want the production costs covered by somebody else, and guaranteed sponsors. Getting good ratings is important, but it only matters if the good ratings can be turned into sponsors. And advertisers care about a lot more than just the top line ratings. They want to advertise on shows that fit their brand image, and have viewers who are likely to buy the product being sold. Curling is still a little too far outside the mainstream in the U.S. for it to attract top sponsors. But it is definitely in a way better position than it was a decade ago.

08-11-15 02:01PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Right and I get that...but...

We're at *least* as mainstream as Luge, Water Polo, Speedskating and Synchronized Swimming...yet those events National and World Championships are on NBC's sports networks, and curling's are not.

We're constantly told NBC owns the rights (hence the rules regarding webcasting), but we're not seeing the result of the product.

Are we stuck in a bad contract because USOC? Is the USCA ignoring opportunities? Is NBC just being dumb?

What's up here?

08-12-15 10:38AM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Interesting to note

One of the great things about Curling and the thing that I think hurts us in terms of TV coverage is both the length of game play and the length of the championships themselves. The only things I think I can compare it to is swimming and the Tour de France.

In swimming, you can tune in for a minute and a half and see an entire final, even though the event is a week long (might be longer - can't remember).

In the Tour, there are millions of cyclists that sponsors can advertise to. If I saw one more Neil Patrick Harris money back guarantee ad, I might have flipped.

We, as curlers, like to see the strategy. So we complain when TV cuts off the lead stones. I think that is justified. But in swimming, I don't think the strategy goes beyond the new swim wear people get.

The strategy in the Tour is there, but even the primetime coverage (where much of the event is cut), there is time to explain what is going on.

The other events you mention are a lot easier to cut down to time, show just the runs they like (americans and top world athletes). They better fit to time and probably can be sold as a package to advertisers.

Curling is different for a lot of reasons. And I bet it is a hard sell to NBC to dedicate that amount of time to it, not knowing what kind of response it will get over the long haul. Not to mention other properties they probably already have (college basketball, college football, etc.) that they would need to work around.

08-12-15 09:28PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Interesting to note

quote:
Originally posted by TakeItOut!
One of the great things about Curling and the thing that I think hurts us in terms of TV coverage is both the length of game play and the length of the championships themselves. The only things I think I can compare it to is swimming and the Tour de France.

Which is why more television coverage may, counterintuitively, not be what the sport needs. I can think of quite a few examples in sports where the whims of television have dictated how sports and their competition formats have evolved and changed, and usually not for the better. In fact, aside from "window dressing" (like in swimming with the center lane lines in bright colors) the free guard zone rule is one of the few major changes to a sport that I believe had a positive impact.

If more coverage is wanted the best way will probably be through more ventures like Twelfth End Curling, Youtube, and the like.

08-14-15 01:09AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Interesting to note

quote:
Originally posted by SargentIV

I can think of quite a few examples in sports where the whims of television have dictated how sports and their competition formats have evolved and changed, and usually not for the better.

For example, mixed doubles curling